Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Stop Starvation Imagery
socialyD Posted: Fri Nov 14 17:02:48 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wanted to let people know about an organization and site that is promoting realistic views of woman in the media, and the end of starvation imagery. They combat negitatve media views of woman through protest, boycotts, and petitions. I challenge everyone to go to their site:
http://www.about-face.org
and take a look at some of the adds they're trying to combat. I think most will find themselves disgusted and maybe even a little outraged.

socialyD Posted: Fri Nov 14 17:13:06 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The media sends powerful messages to girls and women about the acceptability (or unacceptability) of their bodies. Young girls are thought to compare themselves to women portrayed as successful in the media, assessing how closely they match up to the "ideal" body form. Unfortunately, the majority of girls and women (96%) do not match up to the models and actresses presented in the media. The average model is 5'10" and weighs 110 pounds, whereas the average women is 5'4" and weighs 142 pounds. This is the largest discrepancy that has ever existed between women and the cultural ideal. This discrepancy leads many women and girls to feel inadequate and negative about their bodies. It is important to realize that only 4% of women genetically have the "ideal" body currently presented in the media, the other 96% of women feel they must go to extreme measures to attempt to reach this unobtainable image. Many of the images presented in the media have been computer enhanced and airbrushed. The models' hips and waists have often been slimmed and their breasts enlarged through computer photo manipulation. Many of the women presented in the media suffer from an eating disorder or have adopted disordered eating behaviors to maintain such low body weights. It is important to start to question images in the media and question why women should feel compelled to "live up" to these unrealistic standards of beauty and thinness.

FN Posted: Fri Nov 14 18:06:02 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm.

Personally I'm one of the people who is attracted to the model type of girl.

How tall a girl is doesn't really matter to me, but my girlfriend is about as tall as I am, my previous girlfriends were all shorter than me. I don't think there are a lot of guys who'd like their girlfriend to be taller than them by the way.

The weight of a girl doesn't matter to me either, the way she looks however, does.

I'm sorry but it's the 'cruel' truth that a flat belly with a line in the middle and so on, you'll probably know what I'm talking about, is more attractive than a beer-belly type. Call me shallow as much as you want but when I start daing a girl or whatever I first make sure she has that kind of belly lol. Keep in mind though that some guys are attracted to breasts or butts, I on the other hand am very fond of bellies so don't be too harsh :o)

On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm dating an annorectic either. There are some girls I know which I hardly dare to hug out of fear of breaking them in half.

I can only speak for myself but the middle between fat and skinny, and leaning a little to the skinny side is perfect for me.

It's true that most girls don't really fit that description that they think they should, but keep in mind that as not all guys (me for example) are attracted to dumb blondes with gigantic breasts, not all guys are attracted to skinny models either. A very good friend of mine for example likes his girls chubby :o)

Everybody has different preferences.

Don't be too naieve to think that the only way to please a guy is to look and act like a model. The way you look has a lot to do with the way you feel.

It's a cliché but it's true, if you feel good about yourself you're more attractive. I can pick the confident or insecure people out of any crowd immediatly, and I'm sure everybody else can do the same as well.

If you want to lose weight, you have to work on it, it's as simple as that.

And sorry if I offend anyone but if you're stupid enough to become annorectic because of the opinion of 'the others' you deserve it from my point of view.

socialyD Posted: Fri Nov 14 18:49:58 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There is difference between skinny and unhealth. You have said so yourself. 5'10 woman at 110 lbs is not healthy or realistic. I am not saying one should not be attracted to thiner girls. Everyone has the preferences, I pefer short, stocky type of boys, while my roommate perfers... Brad Pitt. But I am saying that it is not okay for the media to permote images that are unhealthy and unrealistic. If you see some of the images on this sight you would understand the disgusting perverse nature of these media outputs.
I'd also like to note that not all of this sight is about weight. Many of the issues include thing such as adds protraying woman as nothing more than sex objects, the abuse of woman being glorified in fashion add, even dipictions of dead woman wearing designer dresses. It I sight dedicated to saying real woman want to see real woman being respect and glorified in adds not meat.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Nov 15 08:46:07 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  interesting website, but i just don't see it's relevance.
it appears to me to be just another politically correct ploy to place blame where it doesn't belong.
if women feel pressure to look or act a certain way by the media, maybe she ought to look inside herself for the problem rather than the media.
it reminds me of the lawsuit several years ago when the parents of a kid who committed suicide while listening to judas priest on his stereo decided to sue the band.
they actually blamed judas priest for the kids problems. of course they lost the suit, and women who continue to blame the media for fostering unattainable images for themselves will continue to lose in society.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]