Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

the duality of being
addi Posted: Mon Nov 17 17:25:15 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm not proud of some of the following admissions, but they're honest...

I doubt the existence of God more than at any time in my life now, but I have heated discussions with her daily (cussing, questioning, thanking...)

I hate violence, but I enjoy movies like Braveheart, Matrix etc...filled with bloody violence

I hate materialistic people, but I justify the need to own a nice luxury car, a home, nice clothes, etc...

I'm a dyed in the wool liberal, but I see the demise of "family values" as a major component to America's downfall.

Shallow people disgust me, but I have so many biases I can't even list them all.

I'm happily married, but I frequently think about other women.

I believe there are two sides to everything, yet I hold to certain "absolutes" that I think are universal.

I believe close friends are a necessity, but I am generaly most content alone.

I know if I sat hear thinking longer I could come up with a lot more (and bore you all to death). Do any of you every think or wrestle with paradoxes in your personality, or are you all completely sane and it's just me that's a nutcase?

Mesh Posted: Mon Nov 17 17:30:07 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>I'm not proud of some of the following admissions, but they're honest...
>
>I doubt the existence of God more than at any time in my life now, but I have heated discussions with her daily (cussing, questioning, thanking...)
>
>I hate violence, but I enjoy movies like Braveheart, Matrix etc...filled with bloody violence
>
>I hate materialistic people, but I justify the need to own a nice luxury car, a home, nice clothes, etc...
>
>I'm a dyed in the wool liberal, but I see the demise of "family values" as a major component to America's downfall.
>
>Shallow people disgust me, but I have so many biases I can't even list them all.
>
>I'm happily married, but I frequently think about other women.
>
>I believe there are two sides to everything, yet I hold to certain "absolutes" that I think are universal.
>
>I believe close friends are a necessity, but I am generaly most content alone.
>
>
>
>
>
>I know if I sat hear thinking longer I could come up with a lot more (and bore you all to death). Do any of you every think or wrestle with paradoxes in your personality, or are you all completely sane and it's just me that's a nutcase?
>
>
>

Nope your not a nutcase.

The part of being liberal, materialistic, hating violence and shallow people all in some way do apply to me as well.

Mesh Posted: Mon Nov 17 17:36:56 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Also, i cant stand intolerant people. Which, makes me.....intolerant of a group of people.

I will think of more i am sure, just cant think of any off the top of my head.

If i dont to think of any more, you can rest assure that i have many anyway.

socialyD Posted: Mon Nov 17 18:23:54 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Here my oxymoron confessions:

I fight starvation imagery but I still hold on to my size two jeans.

I not a fan of the girly girls, but I sob at Hallmark comercials, Disney movies, and scream in scary movies.

I say I'm not a romantic. But when my boyfriend gave me a little wrapped box I almost died of a heart attack. (It was only earings)

I beleive in equality between the sexes, but I work in an enviornment where, although I am invaluable, I am not to be anything more than background.

It's funny how reading your post, Addison, it made me think of my own paradoxes in my life. Once I started thinking about them I found there were more than I imagined. Wow, I have really got some work to do. Thanks Addison for knocking me off my self consumed 'better than thou' shelf.

addi Posted: Mon Nov 17 19:07:46 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  socialyD said:

>It's funny how reading your post, Addison, it made me think of my own paradoxes in my life. Once I started thinking about them I found there were more than I imagined. Wow, I have really got some work to do. Thanks Addison for knocking me off my self consumed 'better than thou' shelf.

You're welcome. Somehow I think it's not so much "having to work on them" as it is having to accept them. I'm not saying self improvement shouldn't be a lifelong pursuit, but I think till they put me 6 feet under I will always have these inconsistances nagging me.

iggy Posted: Mon Nov 17 19:44:13 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i feel there's nothing wrong with that lol

i'm a marxist but i embrace capitalism

sweet p Posted: Mon Nov 17 19:53:41 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, I must say that with the exception of being married...and thinking about other women...my list is very similar to yours.

Though, one thing you did not mention and which I often get tangled up in is the whole animal rights thing. I find myself cringing at the thoughts of the torture and cruelty animals sustain so that I can enjoy my sunday brunch bacon, occasional hamburgers, etc.

I suppose the most important thing is to recognize my faults and like you said, accept them. I already know that I am a selfish human being and to try and rid myself of this is nearly impossible if I want to continue living on earth with the same people I have around me now.

libra Posted: Mon Nov 17 21:05:25 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>Well, I must say that with the exception of being married...and thinking about other women...my list is very similar to yours.
>
>Though, one thing you did not mention and which I often get tangled up in is the whole animal rights thing. I find myself cringing at the thoughts of the torture and cruelty animals sustain so that I can enjoy my sunday brunch bacon, occasional hamburgers, etc.
>
>I suppose the most important thing is to recognize my faults and like you said, accept them. I already know that I am a selfish human being and to try and rid myself of this is nearly impossible if I want to continue living on earth with the same people I have around me now.
>

I felt almost exactly the same way when i read addi's post...i think we all have these little controversies, and its natural. But there is a difference between the people who realize they have them and try to work through them and those who don't even realize they're there...

addi Posted: Mon Nov 17 22:17:54 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Libra and Sweet P
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate both of you. I know I'll catch crap for being sentimental, but you're both special. Maybe it's things we have in common. Maybe it's libra's fake red hair, or SweetP's unique Canadianness, or just something I ate tonight.

*shuts down computer
pulls the down comforter over his body
kicks the dog off the bed
Puts on reading glasses
grabs a Dilbert cartoon book off the floor
Dreams of the GT coffee house in Australia

Michael Posted: Mon Nov 17 22:25:47 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>i feel there's nothing wrong with that lol
>
>i'm a marxist but i embrace capitalism
>
>

Marx did embrace captalism.

webmaster Posted: Mon Nov 17 23:29:03 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>

There will always be someone else more attractive, more beautiful. But it's what we do (or don't do) with our urges that really defines us.

iggy Posted: Tue Nov 18 00:17:14 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Michael said:
>chanz said:
>>i feel there's nothing wrong with that lol
>>
>>i'm a marxist but i embrace capitalism
>>
>>
>
>Marx did embrace captalism.

now what will i tell great leader kim?

iggy Posted: Tue Nov 18 00:18:44 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  webmaster said:
>addison said:
>>
>>I'm happily married, but I frequently think about other women.
>
>There will always be someone else more attractive, more beautiful. But it's what we do (or don't do) with our urges that really defines us.

you mean that my inner most desires to take over the world defines me??????

[evil plot hatching]

libra Posted: Tue Nov 18 01:06:42 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Libra and Sweet P
>Just wanted to say how much I appreciate both of you. I know I'll catch crap for being sentimental, but you're both special. Maybe it's things we have in common. Maybe it's libra's fake red hair, or SweetP's unique Canadianness, or just something I ate tonight.
>
>*shuts down computer
>pulls the down comforter over his body
>kicks the dog off the bed
>Puts on reading glasses
>grabs a Dilbert cartoon book off the floor
>Dreams of the GT coffee house in Australia

wow, thanks addi. that's really sweet.

sweet p Posted: Tue Nov 18 02:11:32 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Libra and Sweet P
>Just wanted to say how much I appreciate both of you. I know I'll catch crap for being sentimental, but you're both special. Maybe it's things we have in common. Maybe it's libra's fake red hair, or SweetP's unique Canadianness, or just something I ate tonight.

No way, Addison! Sentimental is nice. [unless overused] : )

It is nice to know the good thoughts people have about you.
Thank you for being here Addi.

Mesh Posted: Tue Nov 18 02:21:14 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Youy wont catchj crap form me addi, you cool man

iggy Posted: Tue Nov 18 03:02:49 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol.

all of u guys are special. just that i dun say that. even when i'm arguing with ya.

peace fools

Dancer Posted: Tue Nov 18 04:46:43 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>I'm not proud of some of the following admissions, but they're honest...
>
>I doubt the existence of God more than at any time in my life now, but I have heated discussions with her daily (cussing, questioning, thanking...)
>

i never really believe in God, but i believe in fengshui and fortune telling..LOL

>I hate violence, but I enjoy movies like Braveheart, Matrix etc...filled with bloody violence
>
it is normal, it's on a 3rd party you sometimes wishes things to happen.

>I hate materialistic people, but I justify the need to own a nice luxury car, a home, nice clothes, etc...
>
i disagree. coz i failed my driving. damn! car is NOT A NEED...ok ok here in dingapore.

>I'm a dyed in the wool liberal, but I see the demise of "family values" as a major component to America's downfall.
>
family values are very important in my upbringing.. :) i embrace it.

>Shallow people disgust me, but I have so many biases I can't even list them all.

yeah, your time is short? hehe

>

jerk you are normal.
>
>I believe there are two sides to everything, yet I hold to certain "absolutes" that I think are universal.
>
>I believe close friends are a necessity, but I am generaly most content alone.
>
>
>
>
>
>I know if I sat hear thinking longer I could come up with a lot more (and bore you all to death). Do any of you every think or wrestle with paradoxes in your personality, or are you all completely sane and it's just me that's a nutcase?
>
>
i hate waking up in the mornings i get grouchy, but i just can't waste my mornings sleeping away. is this a paradox?

>

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:20:44 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  webmaster said:

>
>There will always be someone else more attractive, more beautiful. But it's what we do (or don't do) with our urges that really defines us.

You're right of course. There's a big difference between thinking and doing. It's those damn urges, when the other person keeps giving you a green light, that make things very difficult.

*and, no, I'm not messing around you female Gters that just raised your eyebrows. I'm a good boy (unless you count that sheep incidence back in '93)

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:26:18 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>lol.
>
>all of u guys are special. just that i dun say that. even when i'm arguing with ya.
>
>peace fools

Didn't mean to exclude all my other friends here. Thanks, and peace, chanz

antartica Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:29:46 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>lol.
>
>all of u guys are special. just that i dun say that. even when i'm arguing with ya.
>
>peace fools
>
>

yes all..... you're all special... just like everyone.....

antartica Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:32:09 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>chanz said:
>>lol.
>>
>>all of u guys are special. just that i dun say that. even when i'm arguing with ya.
>>
>>peace fools
>>
>>
>
>yes all..... you're all special... just like everyone.....

damn.... feel some flamin' coming on
ha ha

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:35:51 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:

>damn.... feel some flamin' coming on
>ha ha

Hear ya, Bro. I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies with all this sweetness.
BTW I really like you.

antartica Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:45:49 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>
>>damn.... feel some flamin' coming on
>>ha ha
>
>Hear ya, Bro. I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies with all this sweetness.

yeah.... what's happened to all the mud slinging? this is getting rather freaky.....

>BTW I really like you.

alright! i'm locking my doors and double bolting them tonite!!!!!!

LOL

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:54:22 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:

>alright! i'm locking my doors and double bolting them tonite!!!!!!

no worries. Sometimes a great distance between plonkers is the best security you can have.

antartica Posted: Tue Nov 18 07:56:10 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>
>>alright! i'm locking my doors and double bolting them tonite!!!!!!
>
>no worries. Sometimes a great distance between plonkers is the best security you can have.

LOL!

i really like you too !
nice lookin' dog there =)

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 08:02:30 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:

>i really like you too !
>nice lookin' dog there =)

I'm the tall one. The dog is the short one... just in case you were confused.

*crap! have to get back to work. So nice talking with you today ant.

antartica Posted: Tue Nov 18 08:19:36 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>
>>i really like you too !
>>nice lookin' dog there =)
>
>I'm the tall one. The dog is the short one... just in case you were confused.
>
>*crap! have to get back to work. So nice talking with you today ant.

LOL
okie.... was just about wondering who was that strange dude standing behind ya! ha ha

great feeling being Thread Nazi's w u again dude =))

catcha later Addi ;>

mat_j Posted: Tue Nov 18 13:23:52 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>i feel there's nothing wrong with that lol
>
>i'm a marxist but i embrace capitalism
>
>

I'm a monogamist but i embrace other women so it all balances out

addi Posted: Tue Nov 18 16:32:30 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>I'm a monogamist but i embrace other women so it all balances out