Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

V-sign
FN Posted: Wed Nov 26 12:39:24 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm.


Just something interesting I've learned today, and since chanz can post random facts I can as well.


I guess that everybody knows the V-sign, which you see people make with their fingers and such.


I never knew where it came from but today I know where it originated.


During the 2nd world war, a reporter of Radio BelgiŽ (Radio Belgium) suggested that from then on the Belgian resistance should use the V-sign.


It has 2 meanings, since Belgium is partly Flemish and partly French speaking.

The Flemish meaning was: Vrijheid, meaning freedom.

The French meaning was: Victoire, meaning victory.


Since then it quickly spread throughout the other armies and grew into an international sign.





Btw, does anybody of you know a series called 'The Westwing'?

There was some stuff to do about it in the news yesterday. Somebody in the series had managed 'The Flemish Block' (Het Vlaams Blok), a right-wing, kind of racist party.

The description was something like: It's called the Flemish Block, they're actually nothing more than a bunch of skinheads and neo-nazis with suits.

As far as I know the party filed a lawsuit on the series.


I wonder if any of you have seen it?


 
mat_j Posted: Wed Nov 26 12:43:46 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Did you know it was the Polish not the yanks or the brits who cracked the enigma code.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Nov 26 14:00:19 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  the v-sign was used by hippies in the 60's and 70's - it meant peace and love.


 
dan632 Posted: Wed Nov 26 16:05:32 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  isn't the westwing a series based on the US president in the series?


 
FN Posted: Wed Nov 26 16:33:52 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>the v-sign was used by hippies in the 60's and 70's - it meant peace and love.


In case you didn't know the 2nd world war ended in '45.

I'm positivly sure about it, we saw the original film of the guy speaking into the mic and saying that this would become the sign of the resistance at the time in our history class today since we're studying world war 2.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Nov 26 16:45:16 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>the v-sign was used by hippies in the 60's and 70's - it meant peace and love.
>
>
>In case you didn't know the 2nd world war ended in '45.
>
>I'm positivly sure about it, we saw the original film of the guy speaking into the mic and saying that this would become the sign of the resistance at the time in our history class today since we're studying world war 2.

no, you were correct, i was just pointing out that it was revived in the 60's for a totally different meaning.


 
FN Posted: Wed Nov 26 16:47:50 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Christophe said:
>>ifihadahif said:
>>>the v-sign was used by hippies in the 60's and 70's - it meant peace and love.
>>
>>
>>In case you didn't know the 2nd world war ended in '45.
>>
>>I'm positivly sure about it, we saw the original film of the guy speaking into the mic and saying that this would become the sign of the resistance at the time in our history class today since we're studying world war 2.
>
>no, you were correct, i was just pointing out that it was revived in the 60's for a totally different meaning.

Ah, yes.

However, in Dutch 'peace' is 'Vrede' so it can be used for that as well :o)


 
antartica Posted: Thu Nov 27 22:42:26 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  another version i heard was about archers. cannot recall from when or where
but they used to use 2 fingers to pull their bow strings and when the enemy gets them, they dun kill them but just chop their fingers off.

so when they go into battle, the archers would show their 2 fingers (in a "up yours" manner) telling the enemy that i've still got my fingers....


or something like that


 
ifihadahif Posted: Fri Nov 28 07:13:54 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>another version i heard was about archers. cannot recall from when or where
>but they used to use 2 fingers to pull their bow strings and when the enemy gets them, they dun kill them but just chop their fingers off.
>
>so when they go into battle, the archers would show their 2 fingers (in a "up yours" manner) telling the enemy that i've still got my fingers....
>or something like that

pretty cool


 
antartica Posted: Fri Nov 28 15:55:41 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>pretty cool

heh heh... kinda figured some ppl would like that ;)


 
Lostender Posted: Mon Dec 1 09:48:12 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>another version i heard was about archers. cannot recall from when or where
>but they used to use 2 fingers to pull their bow strings and when the enemy gets them, they dun kill them but just chop their fingers off.
>
>so when they go into battle, the archers would show their 2 fingers (in a "up yours" manner) telling the enemy that i've still got my fingers....
>
>

This archer v-sign is from England, and, if done with the palm facing the owner of the hand, is roughly equivalent to the middle finger in the States. If reversed, it has the normal peace, love, "v for victory" meaning.



 
antartica Posted: Mon Dec 1 12:28:13 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lostender said:

>
>This archer v-sign is from England, and, if done with the palm facing the owner of the hand, is roughly equivalent to the middle finger in the States. If reversed, it has the normal peace, love, "v for victory" meaning.
>

many thanks for clearing that up =)


 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]