Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Lessons from Bill
iggy Posted: Wed Dec 10 03:14:37 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Bill's 11 rules
Love him or hate him, Bill Gates sure hit the nail on the head with this one.
Nov 30, 2003

To anyone with kids of any age and to all of us who were kids once, here is some advice
Mr. Gates recently dished out at a speech to the Mount Whitney Student Assembly.

He talked about how feel-good, and politically correct teachings created a generation
of kids with no concept of reality, and how this method was setting them up for failure in
the real world.

He concluded by outlining the following 11 Rules:

Rule 1:
Life is not fair ... get used to it.

Rule 2:
The world won't care about your self-esteem. However, the world would expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you start feeling good about yourself.

Rule 3:
You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school, and you won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4:
If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a Boss.

Rule 5:
Flipping burgers at McDonalds should not be beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping... they called it OPPORTUNITY.

Rule 6:
If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7:
Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own bedroom.

Rule 8:
Your school may have done away with recognizing that there are winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have even abolished failing grades, and they'll give you as much time as you want to get the right answer on an exam. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9:
Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. You are supposed to do that on your own time.

Rule 10:
Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop, and go out and find a job.

Rule 11:
Be nice to NERDS. Chances are you will end up working for one.
Nov 30, 2003

addi Posted: Wed Dec 10 06:59:04 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm printing this out and casually placing it on my 16 year old sons desk.
Think I'll highlight rule 7.

FN Posted: Wed Dec 10 10:39:35 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I feel that if he writes something like this he must be frustrated. I'm guessing because people like him because of his money and not for his 'charming' personality/good looks.

Btw, on a different note, I just realised that you could more or less be my father addi (from an age point of view). How disturbing.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 10 10:48:12 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Btw, on a different note, I just realised that you could more or less be my father addi (from an age point of view). How disturbing.

Hey, you could do a lot worse than me. What if hif was your father? Or Darth Vader?
In fact, I've had it with your lip, young man! You're grounded!

FN Posted: Wed Dec 10 13:35:08 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lol.

Papa thong.

I wonder if you interact in the same way with your son as you do with me. Also, how would you feel if your son had the same points of view and so on?

Btw, 'Vader' means father in dutch, i wonder if they got it from that.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 10 13:52:32 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Lol.
>
>Papa thong.
>
>
>I wonder if you interact in the same way with your son as you do with me. Also, how would you feel if your son had the same points of view and so on?

Probably not. If my son was posting on here I'd do a lot of things different.
strange thing is that you and my son have many things in common, which I won't go into now.

>Btw, 'Vader' means father in dutch, i wonder if they got it from that.

I bet they did.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Dec 10 13:56:43 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I feel that if he writes something like this he must be frustrated. I'm guessing because people like him because of his money and not for his 'charming' personality/good looks.

this was excerpted from a speech he gave to a school.
you could do a lot worse than bill gates as your keynote speaker.
he's only the most influential man of the 20th century.
i think people like him because of his accomplishments.

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 10 16:15:10 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am still young of age, and I too just realized addi could be mi father too, but I like what Gates said. Absolutely true in my opinion.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 10 16:42:49 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  okay boys, point made. we need to nip this father stuff in the bud real quick. I will agree that I'm as old as some of your fathers, but I am definately NOT anyone's father here. Trust me I would know. end of subject.

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 10 16:48:05 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>okay boys, point made. we need to nip this father stuff in the bud real quick. I will agree that I'm as old as some of your fathers, but I am definately NOT anyone's father here. Trust me I would know. end of subject.

Getting angry addi? Tsk Tsk, come now its all in good fun.

addi Posted: Wed Dec 10 16:52:18 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:

>
>Getting angry addi? Tsk Tsk, come now its all in good fun.

Naw , I'm just messin' with you guys like you do with me. Actually I would be quite honored to be a father figure to some of you young whippersnappers. Lord knows you need it. ; )

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 10 16:54:37 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>meshuggah said:
>
>>
>>Getting angry addi? Tsk Tsk, come now its all in good fun.
>
>Naw , I'm just messin' with you guys like you do with me. Actually I would be quite honored to be a father figure to some of you young whippersnappers. Lord knows you need it. ; )

Hope you know im just messin too.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]