Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

saying goodbye to a bad friend
addi Posted: Sun Dec 14 07:47:05 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been a smoker for almost 25 years. Came to the decision a while ago that it was time to say goodbye to a life long "friend" on the occasion of my 49th birthday today. When I turn half a century 1 year from today I want it to the anniversary of 1 year of a smoke free life.
There's lots of reasons to stop that don't need to be addressed, but one very important one is my desire to be around years from now to see my son and maybe a grandchild or two. Also with whiter teeth and not smelling like stale smoke I'll just reek of sexiness.

I'm not putting this on here for pats on the back. REALLY! The battle lies in front of me. One of my strategies is to inform friends and family so that when I'm really tempted I can think about not wanting to let my friends down or face the humiliation of having to tell them I lost the fight. I guess, right or wrong, I now consider most of you my friends and wanted to include you. So every now and then over the coming months if you remember feel free to offer support on a post and make me accountable for seeing this thing through.
It really scares me. If you aren't a smoker it may be seem like a no big deal, but for any of you out there that have or do smoke now you'll know what I'm gonna go through. I don't worry so much about the physical addiction. That should pass in a few weeks. It's the emotional crutch that will be the biggest obsticle to overcome in the months ahead.
I will never become a smug ex-smoker. They piss me off acting all holier than thou around smokers. My respect for people comes from their personality and actions. Whether they smoke or not is their decision. This is just a personal choice on what is good for addi at this time, not a condemnation of other smokers.
I'd ask for your prayers, but that would be very hypocritical, so send some positive vibes my way when it comes to mind and I'll be very grateful. Thanks!

novemberrain Posted: Sun Dec 14 08:10:30 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good for you, addison. I wish you the best of luck.

FN Posted: Sun Dec 14 08:11:15 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You know, the phsyical addiction to nicotine is over after about an hour or so, it's the psychological boundar you have to cross.

Most people are 'habit-smokers', meaning they are used to holding sigarettes or having one in their mouth and so on. Most people I know who've quit smoking used chewing gum or something like that.

Congrats on your b-day. Mine is next wednesday :o)

don't let us down

addi Posted: Sun Dec 14 08:14:14 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  one more thing. I'll be adding a tag line at the end of my posts for the next 30 days that says "Day 1, Day 2, etc... Ignore them. It will just be my way of doing a day by day count until I get past the critical first 30 days.

addi Posted: Sun Dec 14 08:19:53 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>
>Congrats on your b-day. Mine is next wednesday :o)

Thanks, Christophe. Yours is on Christmas Eve? Let's see...17, right? Wow! Getting up there young man. I bet you're already sprouting pubic hair! LOL!

I won't let you down.

And thank you too, novrain. It's humbling to admit, but the support means a lot to me.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Dec 14 08:54:24 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you can do it dude !
i quit cold after a 25yr habit. i lost my mom and 2 others within the same year to emphysema and that was all i needed to quit.

JAZER Posted: Sun Dec 14 10:15:36 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Best of luck man. I smoke myself and know how hard it is to quit. You can do it though man. And remember man, the best way to stop smoking is to carry wet matches.

antartica Posted: Sun Dec 14 13:01:51 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  happy birthday bro... =)...
49 huh? ya old FART!!!!!! HA HA HA

juz kiddin' buddy ;)

and on the quitting smoking part. I am a smoker, and am not proud of it. have been for 11+ years now, and have quit once, for 3 months +... like you said it wasn't the physical addiction that killed me during those bleak months, it was the physcological addiction...

i dun want to be all happy happy joy joy and say... ya can do it and all that nonsense. but on the other hand i dun wanne be a wet blanket as well...

BUT, it will be a difficult process... but you have my moral support..... and we'll back ya up ! ! !

=)

libra Posted: Sun Dec 14 15:06:45 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Happy birthday addison!

and i'm glad you've decided to quit, you can do it.

FN Posted: Sun Dec 14 15:27:52 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Christophe said:
>
>>
>>Congrats on your b-day. Mine is next wednesday :o)
>
>Thanks, Christophe. Yours is on Christmas Eve? Let's see...17, right? Wow! Getting up there young man. I bet you're already sprouting pubic hair! LOL!

Lol.

My birthday is on the 17th of december, it's sunday the 14th here so next wednesday should be the 17th, no? :os

sweet p Posted: Sun Dec 14 15:47:12 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADDISON!
I hope that today you are happy and you are having a wonderful day.

And I am happy that you are attempting to do this. It is a very important decision. Just keep it up!

Mesh Posted: Sun Dec 14 17:06:32 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Awesome job addison :) I am to try and quit now, with you as inspiration.

Asswipe Posted: Sun Dec 14 20:56:26 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good luck man. quitting is easy, i do it at least once a month

Dancer Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:29:33 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dear Addi

Happy Birthday!!

You know what, for the past 3 weeks, i haven't been smoking! I told myself to quit after i went to a doc for irregular heartbeats. And he told me most often, it is due to smoking and coffee. And he asked me if i know the harms of smoking, i said yes, and he looked at me and said NO, I DON"T THINK YOU KNOW AT ALL.

Well after some thoughts, yes, i don't know at all until all's too late, i guess i will then fully realised the harms of smoking.

I have been on the quitting programs for 6-7 times and each time i failed. my friends all do not give a damn anymore when i said i'm gona quit smoking again, same for this time round. But i'm on it again! i know that if i can successfully quit smoking, i can help my friends around me too. they are just waiting to see if ITS POSSIBLE. LOL.

Yes, i do agree it is sure hard to part with this old friend..now food is my new friend, i've put on 2 kilos..damn. but hey, let's do it together!!!!!!

bluellama Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:38:49 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey, good for you addi! I do hope you make it. I am a current smoker, and I know I should stop, and that I am slowly killing myself, but like many others I keep scrapping tar onto my lungs. Some of my friends and my ex keep wanting me to quit. They keep asking me to do it for them, but really, you can't quit for anyone but yourself. The emotional addiction is so hard to stop. One day, I know I will quit, but I know it won't be atleast till I am out of college, and because of my weakness, I commend you on your strength. Have another wonderful smoke-free day!

iggy Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:44:43 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  happy birthday addi ol' boy :)

haha

quit? hell no. i love to hack and spit out all that yellowish goo stuck in my throat. ahh all that lovely tar stuck in my lungs which will one day suffocate me to death?

why should i quit?

give up my addiction to a product which wastes my money and life? hells no.

fuck. haha quit i shall soon (i hope)

Good luck, hang in there. and dont ever return to the cancer club

Mesh Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:51:36 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh shite....HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADDISON MAN!!!

dan632 Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:56:15 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  GO YOU BIG RED FIRE-ENGINE!!! PUT OUT THAT FIRE!!

Kira Posted: Sun Dec 14 23:59:39 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Happy birthday Addison, and congrats.

addi Posted: Mon Dec 15 07:17:47 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know I'm gonna make a few of you want to puke by saying this, but reading over the posts this morning put a...let's leave it at I was glad I had kleenex around. I'm somewhat of an emotional wreck now I guess. I go from being happy, to sad, to confused, to wanting to rip someone's fucking head off! I wish I could fast forward time to a month from now. Thanks to each of you from the bottom of my heart. I know the journey has just begun for me, but I am also confident that I'm NOT going back this time. My mindset is determined. Too much at stake for me.

Mesh and Dancer whether you succeed or stumble this time around I appreciate the support and I'm with you. It took me over 20 years to get to this point.

Day 1

addi Posted: Mon Dec 15 07:32:01 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dancer said:

>
>Yes, i do agree it is sure hard to part with this old friend..now food is my new friend, i've put on 2 kilos..damn. but hey, let's do it together!!!!!!

It's a deal! I know what you're talking about with the food craving too. Right now I'm a 34" waist and 185lbs (don't know how to convert those numbers for you foreigners lol). I have nasty visions of balloning to a size 38 and gaining another 30 lbs if I don't watch it. I guess I'll also have to quit my donut habit or a year from now ya'll will be calling me fat addi.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Dec 15 08:11:59 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Dancer said:
>
>>
>>Yes, i do agree it is sure hard to part with this old friend..now food is my new friend, i've put on 2 kilos..damn. but hey, let's do it together!!!!!!
>
>It's a deal! I know what you're talking about with the food craving too. Right now I'm a 34" waist and 185lbs (don't know how to convert those numbers for you foreigners lol). I have nasty visions of balloning to a size 38 and gaining another 30 lbs if I don't watch it. I guess I'll also have to quit my donut habit or a year from now ya'll will be calling me fat addi.

fat addie is better than cancer ridden dead addie . . .

FN Posted: Mon Dec 15 09:00:33 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just think of it this way:

If you start again your self-esteem will be gone forever. If you start again it means you are too weak and you will think about it for the rest of your life every time you will see somebody smoking or when you smoke yourself if you'd ever fall back.

You don't want that.

choke Posted: Tue Dec 16 01:08:28 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Good luck addison... Ive got a few mindslaughtering addictions im attacking at the moment too but going cold turkey is just fucking brave. My heart goes out to you and i respect your courage more then words can say. :)

addi Posted: Tue Dec 16 07:03:50 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>Good luck addison... Ive got a few mindslaughtering addictions im attacking at the moment too but going cold turkey is just fucking brave. My heart goes out to you and i respect your courage more then words can say. :)

Thanks much choke! I've gotta do this alone, but the support here really does help me. I about killed my dog last night after he took a dump on my new carpet. Knew I was losing it so I walked away for a while untill I felt more under control. This really sucks big time.

choke Posted: Wed Dec 17 17:36:34 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Thanks much choke! I've gotta do this alone, but the support here really does help me. I about killed my dog last night after he took a dump on my new carpet. Knew I was losing it so I walked away for a while untill I felt more under control. This really sucks big time.

hehehe animals sure know the right moment 2 make their move.. U got alot of control i genuinely think youll make it. Hey if you can walk away from dogshit on your carpet you can walk away from ANYTHING!!

antartica Posted: Wed Jan 28 08:52:15 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yo Addi!!!

hows the fight going?

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 09:14:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>Yo Addi!!!
>
>hows the fight going?

Ask archangel lol

Up and down. I'm proud to say I haven't had one since my quit day Dec. 14th.
I've been tempted, but managed to think my way past the desire. I'm on the last patch size and have noticed I'm a bit edgey with the decrease in nic, but I'm sure I'll get adjusted to it soon. I'm feeling physically better, can smell things again, and stopped coughing. Now if I could just stop eating (pants are getting tight) and end my addiction to toothpicks. Thanks for asking, Ant!

antartica Posted: Wed Jan 28 09:33:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>>Yo Addi!!!
>>
>>hows the fight going?
>
>Ask archangel lol
>
>Up and down. I'm proud to say I haven't had one since my quit day Dec. 14th.
>I've been tempted, but managed to think my way past the desire. I'm on the last patch size and have noticed I'm a bit edgey with the decrease in nic, but I'm sure I'll get adjusted to it soon. I'm feeling physically better, can smell things again, and stopped coughing. Now if I could just stop eating (pants are getting tight) and end my addiction to toothpicks. Thanks for asking, Ant!

LOL!
good to know...
keep it up dude!

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 28 11:20:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Good going Addi dude, your an inspiration to us all

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 11:25:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks, Mate

mat_j said:
>Good going Addi dude, your an _________ (fill in the blank) to us all

BTW "your" should be "you're" : )

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 28 11:37:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Thanks, Mate
>
>
>mat_j said:
>>Good going Addi dude, your an _________ (fill in the blank) to us all
>
>
>
>BTW "your" should be "you're" : )

OH jees, you're checking that kinda shit

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jan 28 12:18:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>addison said:
>>Thanks, Mate
>>
>>
>>mat_j said:
>>>Good going Addi dude, your an _________ (fill in the blank) to us all
>>
>>
>>
>>BTW "your" should be "you're" : )
>
>
>OH jees, you're checking that kinda shit

yeah, can you imagine that with his atrocious spelling ?

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 12:41:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>>OH jees, you're checking that kinda shit
"Not once, not twice, but thrice!"
(Montgomery Burns)

>yeah, can you imagine that with his atrocious spelling ?

that's "ah-twoo-shush"

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 28 15:55:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Thanks, Mate
>
>
>mat_j said:
>>Good going Addi dude, your an _________ (fill in the blank) to us all
>
>
>
>BTW "your" should be "you're" : )

so pedantic :)

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 16:16:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:

>so pedantic :)

Okay, must...get...obvious.
It was a joke. I could really care less if anyone here uses proper grammer or spelling (except Koff, his spelling kinda annoyed me). I just liked giving Mat a hard time cuz he's Welsh, like the grape jelly.

Miss your penguin falling. I laughed every time I looked at it.

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 28 16:29:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>meshuggah said:
>
>>so pedantic :)
>
>Okay, must...get...obvious.
>It was a joke. I could really care less if anyone here uses proper grammer or spelling (except Koff, his spelling kinda annoyed me). I just liked giving Mat a hard time cuz he's Welsh, like the grape jelly.
>
>
>Miss your penguin falling. I laughed every time I looked at it.

I know it was a joke :)

You like the penguin? I just may to bring the little guy back then.

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 16:55:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thank you thank you.
Just showed my son and we were both in tears.
sometimes the stupidest, simplest things are the funniest.

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 28 16:57:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Thank you thank you.
>Just showed my son and we were both in tears.
>sometimes the stupidest, simplest things are the funniest.

Not a problem :)

Indeed the simplest things can be the best. Sit me in a plain white room, no window, no tv, no radio or books or magazines, and you can bet I will find something to keep me entertained.

Hell, I will pretend my hands are monsters fighting eachother if it comes to it.

Mesh Posted: Wed Jan 28 17:02:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Kudos on the smoking, or lack of smoking actualy, also.

Doin better than I am.

FN Posted: Wed Jan 28 17:05:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Thank you thank you.
>Just showed my son and we were both in tears.
>sometimes the stupidest, simplest things are the funniest.

If you like that try www.stupidvideos.com

Anybody ever saw that commercial about some sort of fish with the bears in it?

A guy in an orange overall starts fighting the bears for the fish but the bears fight back.

Best commercial ever perhaps.

Like the Durex one with the kid kicking and yelling on the floor as well though

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 17:12:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Kudos on the smoking, or lack of smoking actualy, also.
>
>Doin better than I am.

thanks, mesh If they ever invnted one that didn't mess you up I'd be all over it!

Christophe, I've seen that commercial. I think it's a salmon the bear steals.

FN Posted: Wed Jan 28 17:27:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>meshuggah said:
>>Kudos on the smoking, or lack of smoking actualy, also.
>>
>>Doin better than I am.
>
>thanks, mesh If they ever invnted one that didn't mess you up I'd be all over it!
>
>
>Christophe, I've seen that commercial. I think it's a salmon the bear steals.

Nah, you see some bears hunting fish and then this guy runs up to them and dropkicks one of the bears but the bear starts fighting back with boxing moves and stuff

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jan 28 18:31:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>addison said:
>>meshuggah said:
>>>Kudos on the smoking, or lack of smoking actualy, also.
>>>
>>>Doin better than I am.
>>
>>thanks, mesh If they ever invnted one that didn't mess you up I'd be all over it!
>>
>>
>>Christophe, I've seen that commercial. I think it's a salmon the bear steals.
>
>Nah, you see some bears hunting fish and then this guy runs up to them and dropkicks one of the bears but the bear starts fighting back with boxing moves and stuff

yeah, it's a commercial for salmon.
funny as hell.

Mesh Posted: Sat Jan 31 02:35:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>addison said:
>>Thank you thank you.
>>Just showed my son and we were both in tears.
>>sometimes the stupidest, simplest things are the funniest.
>
>If you like that try www.stupidvideos.com
>
>
>Anybody ever saw that commercial about some sort of fish with the bears in it?
>
>A guy in an orange overall starts fighting the bears for the fish but the bears fight back.
>
>Best commercial ever perhaps.
>
>Like the Durex one with the kid kicking and yelling on the floor as well though

That bear one reminds me. One of my goals in life is to fight a bear. If thats not possible, than I would at least like the chance to fight a very large wolf.

the durex one, is that the one where the kid wants candy and the dad puts it back and the kid flips the hell out?

antartica Posted: Sat Jan 31 03:16:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  am back to my usual 1-2 packs a day...

dun help when ciggies cost like under US$6 / carton

Mesh Posted: Sat Jan 31 03:18:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>am back to my usual 1-2 packs a day...
>
>dun help when ciggies cost like under US$6 / carton

Hot dang man.

I am down to about five cigarrettes a day. And a cigar a day. But like I've said before, I have no plans on giving up cigars, only cigarrettes.

antartica Posted: Sat Jan 31 03:24:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>antartica said:
>>am back to my usual 1-2 packs a day...
>>
>>dun help when ciggies cost like under US$6 / carton
>
>
>Hot dang man.
>
>
>I am down to about five cigarrettes a day. And a cigar a day. But like I've said before, I have no plans on giving up cigars, only cigarrettes.

HAHA...i mean as bad as some things are, they's gotta be good for something and this is one of the thing Khazy-land is good for... cheap marlboros and good vodka! *HIC!*

then again ... i'm not reali considering quitting... i now the healh impacts and all that yadah...

it's been a good companion for about the last 11 years so i'm not gonna bail on good ol Red for a while yet i think

Mesh Posted: Sat Jan 31 03:29:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>meshuggah said:
>>antartica said:
>>>am back to my usual 1-2 packs a day...
>>>
>>>dun help when ciggies cost like under US$6 / carton
>>
>>
>>Hot dang man.
>>
>>
>>I am down to about five cigarrettes a day. And a cigar a day. But like I've said before, I have no plans on giving up cigars, only cigarrettes.
>
>HAHA...i mean as bad as some things are, they's gotta be good for something and this is one of the thing Khazy-land is good for... cheap marlboros and good vodka! *HIC!*
>
>then again ... i'm not reali considering quitting... i now the healh impacts and all that yadah...
>
>it's been a good companion for about the last 11 years so i'm not gonna bail on good ol Red for a while yet i think

Hahah, yeah, it would be kind of mean and cold hearted to just up and ignore all of a sudden a good friend of so many years, lol.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]