Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Quotes
socialyD Posted: Tue Dec 16 13:46:19 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What is your most favorite quote?

Malik Posted: Tue Dec 16 14:00:31 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  socialyD said:
>What is your most favorite quote?

Holy crud.... I'm gonna have to think long and hard about that....

Okay, here we go:
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Commissioner Pravin Lal
[Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri]

Although I sometimes cut that first part off (As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century...) if I quote it somewhere...

libra Posted: Tue Dec 16 14:10:34 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm indecisive, so i have three that are dear to me right now(in no specific order):

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them. But the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
Think Different
Apple

We seem to have a compulsion these days to bury time capsules in order to give those people living in the next century or so some idea of what we are like. I have prepared one of my own. I have placed some rather large samples of dynamite, gunpowder, and nitroglycerin. My time capsule is set to go off in the year 3000. It will show them what we are really like.
Alfred Hitchcock

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say commonplace things but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the centerlight pop and everybody goes "AWWWW!!!"
Jack Kerouac

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 16 14:19:09 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When I get going, my 'favorite' can change every three minutes. But at this moment, my favorite is probably:

Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your purest thoughts, for out of them will grow delightful conditions, all heavenly environment; of these if you but remain true to them, your world will at last be built.
-James Allen

Aeon Posted: Tue Dec 16 15:54:39 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My fav quote comes from Prometheus Unbound, written by my fav romantic poet, Percy Shelley

Three thousand years of sleep-unsheltered hours,
And moments aye divided by keen pangs
Till they seemed years, torture and solitude,
Scorn and despair - these are mine empire:
More glorious far than that which thou surveyest
From thine unenvied throne, O Mighty God!
Almighty, had I deigned to share the shame
Of thine ill tyranny, and hung not here
Nailed to this wall of eagle-baffling mountain,
Black, wintry, dead, unmeasured; without herb,
Insect, or beast, or shape or sound of life.
Ah me! alas, pain, pain ever, forever!

marsi Posted: Tue Dec 16 16:40:35 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
Agatha Christie

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best--", and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
A. A. Milne

sweet p Posted: Tue Dec 16 17:14:04 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The other day, my friend read this to me from her statistics textbook:

"Nonnormal data, like nonnormal people, not only are common but are sometimes more interesting than their normal counterparts."

It's so simple and I can almost find something wrong with it but I really like it.

also, FAVOURITE is way too hard.

I like:

"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars." -Oscar Wilde

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold
infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour." - William Blake

"People who never get carried away should be." - Malcolm Forbes

just to name a few........

zander83 Posted: Tue Dec 16 18:56:17 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "Because I could not stop for Death --
He kindly stopped for me --
The carriage held but just ourselves
And immortality."
-Emily Dickinson, Because I Could Not Stop For Death

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Tennyson

iggy Posted: Tue Dec 16 19:49:24 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  this is tough...

"That is the hardest thing of all. It is much harder to judge yourself than to judge others. If you succeed in judging yourself, it's because you're truly a wise man."

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Little Prince

"know thyself"
found at the entrance of the Delphi Oracle

"And sometimes, when you fall, you learn to fly. "
Neil Gaiman.
The Sandman, Fables & reflections

"Disaster is a natural part of my evolution," Tyler whispered, "toward tragedy and dissolution."
"I'm breaking my attachment to physical power and possessions," Tyler whispered, "because only through destroying myself can I discover the greater power of my spirit."
"The liberator who destroys my property," Tyler said, "is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."

Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club

I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?"
Why did I cause so much pain?
Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness?
Can't I see that we're all manifestations of love?
I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong.
We are not special.
We are not crap or trash either. We just are.
We just are, and what happens just happens.

And God says, "No, that's not right."
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything.

Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club

Aeon Posted: Tue Dec 16 21:16:41 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I will make love my greatest weapon and none on who I call can defend
against its force....My love will melt all hearts liken to the sun
whose rays soften the coldest day.

-- Og Mandino

Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.

- Phillips Brooks

maybe that's all you need to fly or touch the stars, just a little belief.

- Me and my homie Adam Ellis

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

-- Lao Tzu

The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a
new continent unexplored, a world of possibilites waiting to be
released and channeled toward some great good.

-- Brian Tracy

The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper.
- Aristotle - This one goes out to DAN

I think laughter may be a form of courage. As humans we sometimes
stand tall and look into the sun and laugh, and I think we are never
more brave than when we do that.

-- Linda Ellerbee

The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.

- Charles Du Bos

No obstacles fell in his way that seemed to him insurmountable. He
might be defeated, as he sometimes was, but he shrank from no
hardship through impatience, he fled from no danger through
cowardice.

-- J. P. Morgan writing about Napoleon Bonaparte

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true
nobility is in being superior to your previous self.

-- Hindu proverb

Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.

-- Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) English Poet

One day in retrospect the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.

- Sigmund Freud

Though I be battered and bruised, beaten and left for dead I am far from overcome. When a new day dawns and the world sees me there to greet it, unabashed and unafraid, then it will know that the spirit of a man can not be broken by hardship. Though my back may bend and break under stress, and my fingers may bleed from overwork, though I be but a poor and wretched man I will stand on the highest pinnacle and proclaim, "Do your worst!" I will have it no other way.

- Me

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks,
breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.

-- Mary Lou Cook

Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but
they die young.

-- A.W. Pinero

Laughter is the language of the Gods.

- Buddhist saying

The vision that you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone
in your heart - this you will build your life by, and this you will
become.

-- James Lane Allen (1849-1925) American Author

The road to happiness lies in two simple principles: find what it is that interests you and that you can do well, and when you find it, put your whole soul into it -- every bit of energy and ambition and natural ability you have.

- John D. Rockefeller III

What ought one to say then as each hardship comes? I was practicing
for this, I was training for this.

-- Epictetus (55-135 AD) Roman Philosopher

We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew, in our hearts and in our souls, the deathless dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is miracle and magic.

- E. Merrill Root

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What a man can be,
he must be.

-- Abraham Maslow (1908-1970) American Psychologist

Blessed is he who carries within himself a God, an ideal, and obeys
it.

-- Louis Pasteur (1822-1895) French Scientist

The hero is the one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets
up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. The
saint is the man who walks through the dark paths of the world,
himself a light.

-- Felix Adler

The great end of art is to strike the imagination with the power of a
soul that refuses to admit defeat even in the midst of a collapsing
world.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Mouse Posted: Tue Dec 16 22:38:25 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm, my closest runner for favorite is;
It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in.
Ricky Fitts
American Beauty
The first time I heard it I had this amazing feeling of not being alone, like other people saw and felt the things I felt. It was awesome. :)

I'm gonna be camping for the rest of this week, wish me luck on not freezing to death. And Sailovzi, I'll read everything I missed so don't talk about me behind my back. :P
Later,
Mouse

Kira Posted: Tue Dec 16 23:53:17 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>And Sailovzi, I'll read everything I missed so don't talk about me behind my back. :P

Well, I never..!

Mesh Posted: Wed Dec 17 00:09:08 2003 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic"

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]