Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

how....
SekiRay Posted: Tue Jan 13 00:42:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i've an anthology of poems written and currently, i'm thinking about getting published but unfortunately, i don't know where to start. so...anybody? pls? help?

FN Posted: Tue Jan 13 02:05:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Have thought about it as well if I ever get to 100 of them but wouldn't know where to start either.

Kira Posted: Tue Jan 13 02:20:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Augh, publishing. :P I don't know anything about selling poetry collections, but I've come across a few contests that offer publication of anthologies as the grand prize. Might be worth checking out...

You could always try self-publishing, but I don't know how that works either.

DaveHill Posted: Tue Jan 13 03:27:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  IF anybody knows the answer i'd very much like to hear it :)
I don't know really. How about just mail-bombing publishers with copies of your work and a sweet note accompanying it all which reads "Dear Mr./Mrs publisher, this is my work. Nifty, ain't it? Please publish it, i'll be happy ever after." Followed by your name and adress etc.
Someone should add the answer to this in one of those "This is how it works" books.

sweet p Posted: Tue Jan 13 03:36:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have found this site to be very helpful with a few things I have tried to do...
I didn't read through this one too well but it might give you some ideas on how to at least get started:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/publishpoem/publishpoem.html

addi Posted: Tue Jan 13 07:27:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If it's anything like trying to get cartoons published I know from personal experience you just have to find all the potential publishers and send away..and send away...and send away. With some talent, luck, and the gods smiling down on you you may have some success. Good luck!

* Sweet P. You're looking younger and younger as the days go by. That pic brought back some early memories as a child.

SekiRay Posted: Tue Jan 13 12:27:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sailovzi said:

>You could always try self-publishing, but I don't know how that works either.

i need a shitload of cash for that; damn, can't manage to do it. Sailovzi, you mentioned contests that you've come across, do you still remember any?

Chaos Posted: Tue Jan 13 12:58:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i dont have any advise on how you might get published but i was wondering if you would let us read some of your work.
thanks.

Kira Posted: Tue Jan 13 14:02:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SekiRay said:
>
>
>Sailovzi, you mentioned contests that you've come across, do you still remember any?

Afraid not, but these are things I've found through casual internet searches. Enter "contests poetry" in your favorite search engine and I'm sure you'll come up with a few items of interest. Google has a whole category (http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Writers_Resources/Contests/Poetry/) that I check on every few months, as expired contests are taken down and fresh ones pop up.

Aeon Posted: Tue Jan 13 15:01:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SekiRay said:
>i've an anthology of poems written and currently, i'm thinking about getting published but unfortunately, i don't know where to start. so...anybody? pls? help?

I don't know. As the self absorbed resident poetic extremist, I feel like selling poetry is like selling yourself... pretty much whoring a piece of yourself to the highest bidder. Poetry is meant to be shared. On the other hand, making a living from something you love to do and getting your feelings and emotions out in the mainstream is something that I would love to happen for myself. Maybe my poetry could help someone, you know? I'm torn!

Malik Posted: Tue Jan 13 19:36:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If you have a book or something like that (like a collection) the self-publishing route isn't that expensive. Try going to http://www.lulu.com. It costs 2 cents a page, and $4.53 added to that. And, you retain all the rights to it, not so if you use a publisher (nixes the whole "whoring of the soul" thing). You don't have to order a minimum of copies there either. If I had something worthwhile to publish, I would probably do that.

SekiRay Posted: Tue Jan 13 23:23:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

>I don't know. As the self absorbed resident poetic extremist, I feel like selling poetry is like selling yourself... pretty much whoring a piece of yourself to the highest bidder. Poetry is meant to be shared. On the other hand, making a living from something you love to do and getting your feelings and emotions out in the mainstream is something that I would love to happen for myself. Maybe my poetry could help someone, you know? I'm torn!

that's the point; your writings might help others and to continue to do this, you need to survive. so when you say selling poetry is like selling a piece of your own ass... i disagree. it's like peddling hope, man and in this new age, nothing comes for free except the air you're breathing.

SekiRay Posted: Tue Jan 13 23:49:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks Malik, thank you everyone for helping out. And Malik, you Malaysian?

Malik Posted: Wed Jan 14 01:26:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No, it sounds Asian (I get that alot online), but Malik is actually Arabic for "King"

mat_j Posted: Sat Jan 17 23:09:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  your particular country should have it's own writers ahnd book, it's usually pricey (in the Uk it coststhe equiv of about 37 US dollars) but a good palce to start, will give you a list of agents.

Never send to an agent who asks for a reading fee

Competitions in writers mags have a lot of competitions, keep trying the rewards are usually generous then you have the ability to say you are a published author.

Go to poetry recitals at your local bohemian area, you'll get in with the crowd but don't listen to a word they say and ignore poetry fashion, garunteed they are 99% a bunch of cunts.

Check out nearby universities, you may be able to wrangle a publication in one of them

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]