Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

The GT Poll
socialyD Posted: Thu Jan 15 11:49:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just wanted to make a note about the poll today. I wanted to say that we should recgonize race only that they are our friends.

addi Posted: Thu Jan 15 12:46:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  need some explanation of what you mean please : )

socialyD Posted: Thu Jan 15 13:21:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I guess what I am trying to say is that the iradication of racisim is when everyone is of one race, the human race that is.

When I first answered the question I answered no because the race of my friends never occured to me. After thinking about I relazied that I have friends who of a different race that I see everyday (my roomate being one of them). But the thing is I had to think about it before it occured to me.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't identify my friend with a paticular race only that they are my friends.

novemberrain Posted: Thu Jan 15 13:55:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I remember a class I took in college and the whole premise was disproving the idea of different races. That, like socialyD said, everyone is a member of the human race. There are no subdivisions.

Of course, some people fall into the category of not being members of the human race:) I know a few such individuals myself.

Malik Posted: Thu Jan 15 15:26:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There _are_ different races. There Three main races (from which all the other races are dervied) of the species Homo Sapiens exist: angloid, negroid, and mongloid. Essentally, white, black, and asian. And there is nothing wrong with acknowledging the physical aspects of a person. You aren't hairist if you call someone a blonde, or a redhead, but if you call someone black or white or asian it is racist?

Physical differences between members of different races exist. Just like men and women are physically different (I mean like endurance, strength or health, not anatomy), the differences between races are there. But just because you acknowledge that some people are born with traits they can't control, you are not automatically a racist.

Race exists just like the color of your hair, or your weight. It is not racism for police to put out a report of a "5 foot 9 heavyset bald black male" because black is only used as an identifier. People _should_ be referred to their race, just like they should be referred to their weight, height, hair, face, etc. I have two friends named Phil. One is white, and one is black. When I say something that requires me to differentiate between the two, I'll say "black Phil" or "white Phil." Same way with my three friends named Scott. I'll call them "redhead Scott" and "tall Scott" and "little Scott", because those attributes most describe their physical characteristics. And it pisses me off when people won't even characterize someone by their race. For example, my nine year old sister was talking to me about some of her friends. I wasn't sure who one of them was, and so I asked, "Is that the tall, black guy?" and she got really offended. I wasn't being racist, but, in my mind, tall and black were the characteristics that stuck out most to me about the guy.

And the question, "Are you friends with somebody of a different race?" isn't racist. We are all not of the same race; we all evolved differently in different climates. We all belong to the same _species_, but race exists. Don't think you are a racist because you can look at people and see what race they are. You are only racist if you see other people and make pre-judgements about them. Which we (and I'll admit it as well) do with that and other characteristics. Wealth, attractiveness, fashion sense, and even the expression on somebodys face the first time you meet them _do_ make some kind of lasting impression.

*gets off his soapbox*

addi Posted: Thu Jan 15 16:09:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik said:

>*gets off his soapbox*
>
Get back up there and keep typing,Damn it! You were just starting to make sense!

Howitzer Posted: Thu Jan 15 18:17:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I feel the idea of being "colorblind" is wrong anyway. races should be able to celebrate thier differences and to consider everyone "the same" would be insulting, even to people within the same race. to catagorize me as "the same" as my roomate, who is of the same race, is to deny my specific traits. the same happens when you deny the existance of different races. there would be no Black History Month if we could not descriminate (not used negitively here) between the races. I respect the differences between all the races and the history behind all of them. No white/black/asian can say thier family history is like the other, all are unique. so i say stop being "colorblind" and acknowledge we are all different.

antartica Posted: Fri Jan 16 00:32:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i thought there were 2 races:

Assholes vs Nice Guys?

Howitzer Posted: Fri Jan 16 00:50:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>i thought there were 2 races:
>
>Assholes vs Nice Guys?

nope, 3. you forgot nice assholes

antartica Posted: Fri Jan 16 01:14:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Howitzer said:
>antartica said:
>>i thought there were 2 races:
>>
>>Assholes vs Nice Guys?
>
>nope, 3. you forgot nice assholes

LOL...

that species is still being verified right?

antartica Posted: Fri Jan 16 01:25:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  okie... but in all seriousness to answer socialyD...

>are we all not the "HUMAN" race?

though of course we know some who are of a sub-human species.....

socialyD Posted: Fri Jan 16 12:30:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I guess what I was more impacted by was the thought that it didn't even occur to me that my friends were of a different race, they were just my friend. I thought it was great that I didn't see difference in terms of color or descent all I saw was friends and all there quirks.

webmaster Posted: Fri Jan 16 23:31:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  socialyD said:
>I guess what I was more impacted by was the thought that it didn't even occur to me that my friends were of a different race, they were just my friend. I thought it was great that I didn't see difference in terms of color or descent all I saw was friends and all there quirks.

I think that is great too.

iggy Posted: Sat Jan 17 01:54:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  no... there are 4 races

1) christophe and his evil harem

2) king thong and his chicken armada

3) the resistance

4) the webmaster and his brainwashed minions

choke Posted: Sat Jan 17 06:28:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>no... there are 4 races
>
>1) christophe and his evil harem
>
>2) king thong and his chicken armada
>
>3) the resistance
>
>4) the webmaster and his brainwashed minions

..The trouble is choosing which you belong to..

iggy Posted: Sat Jan 17 07:28:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  join the resistance i says.
we got dan the man and myself as leaders of the resistance

iggy Posted: Sat Jan 17 07:31:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh yeah. mat_j is the leader of another faction of the revolution ...

his empire is getting stringer by the day

FN Posted: Sat Jan 17 07:40:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  All girls pick my side, I'll make it well worth it

mat_j Posted: Sat Jan 17 23:25:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>oh yeah. mat_j is the leader of another faction of the revolution ...
>
>his empire is getting stringer by the day

I will try to be worthy of my post mon commandante

iggy Posted: Sun Jan 18 12:16:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ah u have ... u already surpass all our expectations. good work ol' comrade

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]