Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

whaddya'll readin'?
antartica Posted: Sat Jan 17 13:38:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  alrighty....most of us here are voracious readers i gather... and we've been through this before... tell us whaddya readin and giveth us a quicky review of your last read eh?

FN Posted: Sat Jan 17 13:51:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Right know I'm reading:

Into The Maelstrom - some guy I don't know

Stupeur et Tremblements - Amélie Nothomb

Most recent books I've read:

Le Chien Jaune - George Simenon

Le Pendu De Saint-Pholien - George Simenon

Russisch Blauw - Rascha Peper

De Leeuw Van Vlaanderen - Hendrik Conscience (Loved this one so much)

antartica Posted: Sat Jan 17 13:53:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  righto here's my last read . . .

just finished Norwegian Wood... love it and read it all in a day, couldn't put it down...

summed up...it's a really twisted love story about a young Japanese undergrad in a tormentious love tri/quad thingy...worst is one of the girls is still in love with his dead friend...

slightly unexpected though not unpredictable ending... still a good read...

am now reading Dances With Wolves again...

FN Posted: Sat Jan 17 14:02:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Right know I'm reading:
>
>Into The Maelstrom - some guy I don't know

Kind of scifi book about aliens and stuff like that.

>
>Stupeur et Tremblements - Amélie Nothomb

About a Belgian girl with japanese roots who moves back to japan in order to get a job and gets confronted with the japanese way of life.

>
>
>Most recent books I've read:
>
>Le Chien Jaune - George Simenon

Detective story

>
>Le Pendu De Saint-Pholien - George Simenon

Another detective story with characters based on Simenon's real life friends.

>
>Russisch Blauw - Rascha Peper

About Tsaar Nicholas II of Russia

>
>De Leeuw Van Vlaanderen - Hendrik Conscience (Loved this one so much)

About the Flemish resistance against France during medieval times. Can't help but start to feel patriotic once you have read it. Certainly because most of the cities and stuff and big buildings that are in it still exist today.

zander83 Posted: Sat Jan 17 14:35:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just finished His dark materials (all three parts). Very good, kept me interested until the end. Its kind of a kids book but i enjoyed it nonetheless. Am now bak in school so my reading fare is : Loss models: from data to decisions; Introduction to probability models; Principles of corporate finance. I don't really recomned any of them... they're not exactly page-turners; and of course there is the omnipresent catch-22 on my bedside table which i pick up whenver i need something to relax.

addi Posted: Sat Jan 17 15:39:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Bill Bryson
*a short history of nearly everything

I like his humor and he does a great job explaining scientific topics to the unscientific mind.

libra Posted: Sat Jan 17 15:47:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. It's about a prostitute in the 1860's and the man who ends up making her his mistress. She gets to live in luxury because of him and moves herself up the social ladder in London a bit.

I'm also reading, for english, Go Tell it on the Mountain by James Baldwin. It's okay, not really my type of thing.

Recently I've read:
High Fidelity and How to Be Good by Nick Hornby, both were really good.

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (the story trades back and forth between a modern day American woman who goes to france and tries to find her ancestors, and a woman in france a very very long time ago, I'm not sure exactly when. Of course, there is a connection between the two women, etc.) It's a pretty good book.

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter(the author talks to a friend who tells him to write a story about his divorce. The man begins to write about the friend's previous relationships, and then goes and talks to the women the friend dated, and the from there he moves out to form a circle of people that are all intertwined in some way.)
I really liked the way it is written, and the story is kind of sad and happy all at once.

antartica Posted: Sat Jan 17 15:50:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dang forgot i'm also readin the Devil's Larder by James Crace

it explores humans (that means us i think) with short stories all to do with food...

SntSaturn Posted: Sat Jan 17 16:13:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Unless by Carol Shields, just started it.

Before I read Dean Koontz "One Door away from heaven"

FN Posted: Sat Jan 17 16:31:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And then some people dare to say that nobody reads books anymore

Covester Posted: Sat Jan 17 17:40:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nobody is an exaggeration. people at my highschool don't really read. i know of about three people in my class that read regularly. the others may or may not read much more than the harry potter series.

Covester Posted: Sat Jan 17 17:41:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  that's still an embarrassing amount

novemberrain Posted: Sat Jan 17 20:10:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have a 7 tier bookshelf in my room (about 10 feet tall) and every shelf has at least two rows of books on it, if not three. Some of them I'm not even sure if I have read:)

Sometimes I think it would have been cheaper to have a drug habit than my reading habit:)

Haven't read anything in a while, just too busy. But on my list of things to read are Ocean Sea and Silk by Alessandro Baricco and Broken Hearts-Bloody Trails by Robert Camacho.

Howitzer Posted: Sat Jan 17 22:41:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "on killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, it is about the psychological cost of learning to kill in war and society. Very good

mat_j Posted: Sat Jan 17 23:43:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>righto here's my last read . . .
>
>just finished Norwegian Wood... love it and read it all in a day, couldn't put it down...
>
>summed up...it's a really twisted love story about a young Japanese undergrad in a tormentious love tri/quad thingy...worst is one of the girls is still in love with his dead friend...
>
>slightly unexpected though not unpredictable ending... still a good read...
>
>am now reading Dances With Wolves again...

I'm glad you read that book Ant it's fucking gorgeous

mat_j Posted: Sat Jan 17 23:44:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Bill Bryson
>*a short history of nearly everything
>
>I like his humor and he does a great job explaining scientific topics to the unscientific mind.

Bill Bryson is a great guy, his TV series Notes from a small island is on over here right now.

mat_j Posted: Sat Jan 17 23:50:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dylan Thomas- Omnibus

Kurt vonnegut- The Sirens of Titan

Joe Merrick- London Irish Punk Life and Music... shane MacGowan

Joel and Ethan Coen Blood Siblings- Paul A. Woods

John Morreall- Taking Laughter Seriously

Malik Posted: Sun Jan 18 10:31:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  His Dark Materials is a damn good trilogy... I would [and have] recommend it to everybody. Although I did through the final book across the room when I was done with it. Really, really good.

Dune - The Machine Crusade - Brian Herbert

The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (for English)

The Sally Lockhart Trilogy - Philip Pullman

Ender's Game (again) - Orson Scott Card

The Five Part Hitchhiker's Triolgy - Douglas Adams

Object Orentated Data Structures Using Java - I dunno the author

marsi Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:05:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm reading a book of short stories by greek authors written in the first half of 20th century. They were recently translated in slovenian. Some of them are really good.

addi Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:23:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>
>Bill Bryson is a great guy, his TV series Notes from a small island is on over here right now.

I think I've read every book he's written. Wish they were showing that TV series here. The guy's a genius writer to me.

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:31:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>
>>Bill Bryson is a great guy, his TV series Notes from a small island is on over here right now.
>
>I think I've read every book he's written. Wish they were showing that TV series here. The guy's a genius writer to me.

I love his quiet musings, his writings all stemming from the the pain he feels from bitter dissapointment of there not always being steak to eat for dinner.

addi Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:45:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>I love his quiet musings, his writings all stemming from the the pain he feels from bitter dissapointment of there not always being steak to eat for dinner.

just a few of his quotes for your quiet musing pleasure:

"I turned to my own bunk and examined it with a kind of appalled fascination. If the mattress stains were anything to go by, a previous user had not so much suffered from incontinence as rejoiced in it. He had obviously included the pillow in his celebrations."

"You could see in an instant that she had been the local good-time girl since about 1931. She had 'ready for sex' written all over her face, but 'better bring a paper bag' written all over her body."

"Just South of Grand Junction, Tennessee, I passed over the state line into Mississippi. A sign beside the highway said WELCOME TO MISSISSIPPI. WE SHOOT TO KILL."

"I suspect you could spend a week in Auburn kissing the ass of every person who had ever heard of Thomas Hardy and not get chapped lips."

"This was a neighbourhood where clearly you could get murdered for a pack of cigarettes - a fact that was not lost on me as I searched nervously for a way back onto the freeway. By the time I found it I, wasn't whistling through my teeth so much as singing through my sphincter."

"I only ever knew one journalist with a tidy desk, and he was eventually arrested for molesting small boys. Make of that what you will; but just bear it in mind the next time somebody with a tidy desk invites you camping."

"Boston's freeway system is insane. It was clearly designed by a person who had spent his childhood crashing toy trains."

"Still, I never really mind bad service in a restaurant. It makes me feel better about not leaving a tip."

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:51:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Brilliant, i love that piece he did on British people on the titanic

Covester Posted: Sun Jan 18 13:25:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  just finished the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera

Paulo Posted: Sun Jan 18 17:56:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Currently:

Downsize This! - Michael Moore. I'm not saying I particualy agree with anything he writes, well some of it but i'm more interested in the humour and his style.

The last book was The Essential Groucho which was a collection of Groucho Marxs' jokes, articles, scripts etc. Not bad but I'd have preffered a biography of the guy.

Mesh Posted: Sun Jan 18 20:57:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Nietzsche- The Anti-Christ

mat_j Posted: Mon Jan 19 07:01:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Covester said:
>just finished the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera

Is this book any good? It surfaces from time to time but nobody i know ahs actually read it

marsi Posted: Mon Jan 19 07:17:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Covester said:
>>just finished the unbearable lightness of being by milan kundera
>
>Is this book any good? It surfaces from time to time but nobody i know ahs actually read it

It is good. Some years ago I read a lot of Kundera's novels. Whenever I read a novel I really like, I try to read other books by the same author - so I had a period of reading Kundera. For me, the best was Immortality.

socialyD Posted: Mon Jan 19 15:06:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Currently I am reading a few books.

Mayfair Witches - Anne Rice
-simlar to her vampire books, but it's about withces

Jack The Ripper- "Case Closed"- Patricia Cornwell
- a non fiction work about her theories on who Jack the Ripper was and her case behind it.

Hot Six - Janet Evonovich
- a comedy/mystery book about a bounty hunter (who only took this job because she was broke) who has serious shopping problems, is afraid of guns and is constantly getting herself into hilarious pickels.
- If you ever want a really funny, light hearted, just plain fun book I recomend her whole series. I almost pee my pant every time I read her books, which is amusing to everyone around me because I am cracking up over a book.

The last books I read were:

Nanny Diaries - ?
- great book about a nanny and all the terrible thing nannies have to go through (very funny in parts).

The Silver Wolf - I can't rember the author's name but she's Anne Rice's sister.
- fanasty story about a woman who turns into a wolf, and her interaction with true historical events.
- she's got great style. She's Anne Rice the light version.

This isn't the last book I read but if anyone is looking for a good series this is it.
Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind - Orson Scott Card
-He's an amazing writter. He takes complex and touchy issues and puts them into these sci-fi stories makeing them easier to digest and makes you see a whole different side. He deals with racisim, child rearing, death, etc...

pheniox Posted: Mon Jan 19 18:06:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Robet Jordan. good books. 10 in all. I am also writing my own book.

antartica Posted: Wed Jan 21 09:24:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>antartica said:
>>righto here's my last read . . .
>>
>>just finished Norwegian Wood... love it and read it all in a day, couldn't put it down...
>
>I'm glad you read that book Ant it's fucking gorgeous

erm... ya talkin' about Norwegian wood yea? totally loved it... just waiting for time to pass before i read it again.

i so enjoyed the twisted and tormentous relationships... fuck i'm one sic bastard...

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]