Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Cambria
mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:19:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paulo will rib me for this i know, cause i'm not a nationalist.

Hello good friends (especially you yankee and johnny rebs) below is a list of What my tiny nation of Wales has contributed (and taken) to (and from) the world, no particular reason, just fancied it as a matter of interest.

John Adams
Second president of the USA.

Samuel Adams
Signer of the American Declaration of Independance and co-founder of Harvard University.
Welsh descent

John Quincy Adams
Sixth president of the USA, son of John Adams second president
Welsh Descent

Hilary Clinton
She was America's first lady as she is married to the previous president, Bill Clinton.
of Welsh descent

Jefferson Davis
President of the Confederate states, defeated in the American civil war.
Welsh-parentage American.

David Lloyd George
Former Liberal MP and Prime Minister
Born in Manchester in 1863 but was briught up in the Cricieth area. He has many decendents still living in the area.

Al Gore
Democrat Presidential candidate, controversially "defeated" by George W Bush. (And relative of writer Gore Vidal)
American of Welsh descent.

7th Henry the

Born in Pembroke Castle to his 13 year old mother
Posted by: RocketScience

William Morris Hughes
Prime Minister of Australia 1915-1923
Born in Llandudno

libra Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:21:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i used to have a BIG crush on a guy who is welsh.

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:23:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, the son of a man from the Snowdon foothills.
Thomas Jefferson was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, the son of a man from the Snowdon foothills.

Samuel Milton Jones
Inventor, writer and Mayor of Toledo, Ohio, USA.
Born in Carnarvonshire, North Wales.

John Paul Jones
the father of the American Navy
welsh descent

Robert E Lee
Commander of the Confederate armies.
Of Welsh Descent

Saunders Lewis
Leader of the Plaid Cymru
Co founder of Plaid Cymru, Welsh Nationalist Party.
(a decent dude but a poor mans Brendan Behan)

Abraham Lincoln
President of the USA. Perhaps the greatest stateman to grace the American political theatre.
Maternal grandparents were called Morris from Ysbyty Ifan, North Wales

Llewellyn Thompson
US Ambassador under at least 4 American Presidents; Advisor to Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon
Welsh Descent

George Washington
American president
grandparents were Welsh

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:24:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>i used to have a BIG crush on a guy who is welsh.

I think the length and bredth of my fair land would to if they could just see your face libra.

:)

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:32:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sir Stanley Baker
Zulu, Sands of the Kalahari, Robbery and Where's Jack?, he was also the producer.
born in Ferndale

Richard Burton
Featured in films such as:Cleopatra, The Robe, The Exorcist II and many many more. Renown for his relationship with Elizabeth Taylor although he was married with children when they met. Changed his name from Jenkins to Burton, his teachers name.
born in Pontrhydyfen (Near Pt. Talbot)

Dean Cain
TV Superman
Welsh mother

Russel Crowe
Various movies including an Oscar for Gladiator
of Welsh descent - grandfather from wrexam

Timothy Dalton
Bond films, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, The Lion in Winter, Mary Queen of Scots and many others
Born in Colwyn Bay

Minnie Driver
Lots of films, can anyone name some?
Father is Welsh

D W Griffith
Pioneering silent film director; Birth of a Nation, Intolerance, Broken Blossoms.
Welsh ancestry; claimed descent from Welsh princes. Born Kentucky, USA.

Ioan Gruffudd
Appeared in Horatio Hornblower, Titanic, 102 Dalmations, Solomon and Gaenor, Great Expectations
Born in Cardiff, Speaks welsh

Bob Hope
Long comedic career, acted in the road films with Bing Crosby.
Parents were from Barry, South Wales.

Sir Anthony Hopkins
stage and screen featured in films such as: The Bounty, Silence of the Lambs, Zoro, Mission Impossible (2), Remains of the day and many many more.
born in Port Talbot

Catherine Zeta Jones
Movies and TV include Zoro and Darling Buds of May.
from Swansea

Tommy Lee Jones
Many movie appearances including Men in Black and the Fugitive.
Welsh father

Burt Lancaster
Big time hollywood star, acted in atlantic city, sweet smell of success, elmer gantry, vera cruz, gunfight at the o.k. corral, birdman of alcatraz.
welsh descent

Dannii Minogue
Singing, TV presenting, acting, modelling.
Mother, Carol, comes from Maesteg

Kylie Minogue
String of UK Hits, appeared in Ausi soap Neighbours for years, so did sister Dannii.
Mother from Maetaeg

Leslie Nielsen
Naked gun movies and the SciFi classic Forbidden Planet
Welsh Father

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:36:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  John Rhys-Davies
Played Indi's friend in Raiders of the lost Arc, Gimli the dwarf in the Lord of the Rings and the professor in TV's Sliders
from Ammanford

Denise Richards
Bond girl (The World Is Not Enough). Starred with Matt Dillon and Neve Campbell in Wild Things. Also stared in Starship Troopers and Drop Dead Gorgeous.
Born on 17th of February 1972, in Downers Grove, Illinois to a Welsh father.

Alan Rickman
Classically trained actor renouned for his hawklike facial features, ready sneer, and cultured voice. Has starred in such films as Die Hard, Sense and Sensibility, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Dogma and Harry Potter amongst others.
Born to Welsh and Irish parents.

Ginger Rogers
Appears with Fred Astair in many hollywood musicals of the 1930's - renound song and dance team.
Welsh descent

Susan Sarandon
oscar winning actress - Thelma and Louise
Welsh father

Kevin Spacey
Stacks of Hollywood roles - see the Usual Suspects, Seven and K-PAX
Maternal grandfather of Welsh descent

Robert Vaughn
Starred in the Man from Uncle series. Was in the magnificent seven, Bullitt, the Young Philadelphians.
Welsh father, from Bala

Robin Williams
Oscar winning & nominated actor & comedian, Juilliard, many movies
Welsh descent, born in Chicago

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:37:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thats just the actors, politians and military people

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:49:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Andy Bell
Bassist for Oasis
born in Cardiff, Wales

David Bowie
Famous distinctive and influential pop-rock star.
Welsh parentage (born David Jones)

James Dean Bradfield
from the massive welsh band Manic Street Preachers
from blackwood

John Cale
Innovative composer and musician. Has written music for cinema, ballet and other performance art. Has collaborated with many (other) influential musicians and composers.
born in Wales

Sheryl Crowe
Singer, ex-girlfriend of Eric Clapton.
of Welsh descent (maternal side)

Dave Evans
Guitarist with Irish Rock Group U2
Welsh Parents

David Gray
Musician - Much acclaimed "White Ladder"

Rolf Harris
Massive pop hit in 60's with 'Two little Boys' - Regular TV apearances.
Parents were from Methyr Tydfil. Father owned an Art shop in Methyr

Olivia Newton John
Greece the Film alongside John Travolta - Big hit with 'Country Roads'.
Father was Welsh. Granparents Ivor John and Daisy Newton ( ie were the Newton in Newton John comes from) Lived in Cardiff's Docklands in Lowden Square. Daisy Newton's family ran a pub there. Her Father became a college professor at Oxford/Cambridge,

Sonia Jones
Sang the theme song from 'Monty Python's - The Life of Brian'.
From Llanelli

Tom Jones
Tom performed Mama Told me not to come with the stereophonics on his album reload. He appears in the hit movie MARS ATTACKS with Jack Nicholson, Danny Devito, Michael J fox and lots more.
He was born in pontypridd

Tommy Lee
Drummer in Motley Crue
Welsh Father

Lemmy
Lead singer and bass player of Motorhead
Spent his childhood in North Wales.

John Lennon
Singer and Songwriter.
John Lennon was raised by his mother's family, the Stanleys, who were of Welsh origin.

Bob Marley
Major musical inluence of the late 1970's and 80's. Hits include: No woman no cry, I shot the sherif and redemption song.
Father, army Captain Norval Marley was from Prestatyn, attached to the British West Indian regiment in Jamaica

Ivor Novello
Renowned composer
Born in Cardiff

Robert Plant
Lead singer with Led Zeppelin
Born in Momnmouthshire

Keith Richards
The Rolling Stones
Welsh Father

Bryn Terfel
Opera Superstar :-)
Born in Pantglas and currently living near Caernarfon. Bryn is also a welsh speaker.

Pete Townshend
Guitarist and writer with the Who rock group - stacks of hits thought the '60's '70's
Welsh father

Hank Williams
Famous American country music star.
Welsh parentage

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 00:56:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Roald Arron Dahl
Much loved writer of children's books. Roald Dahl also wrote for other genres too. These include the Bond movie You Only Live Twice as well as numerous film conversions of his children's books and Tales of Mystery & Imagination which ran on British TV for years.
from Cardiff

Idris Davies
Known for his anthology of poetry, especially "Gwalia Deserta". He chronicled life in Wales during the 'depression'. Also, a drinking partner (when they came to Rhymney) of a young Dylan Thomas and Richard Jenkins(Burton). His most famous poem (The Bells of Rhymney) was turned into a song by American folk singer Pete Seeger.
Born in Rhymney.

Terry Jones
Monty Python
Born February 1, 1942, Colwyn Bay, North Wales

Sinclair Lewis
First American to win the Nobel prize for literature.
Welsh descent.

Tales of Mabinogion
The greatest Dark Ages tales of them all - the source for Arthur
tales from Dark Age Wales and celtic Myth

Howard Marks
Allegedly - During the mid 1980s Howard Marks had forty three aliases, eighty nine phone lines and owned twenty five companies trading throughout the world (Marijuana dealer).
Born in Wales

Wilfred Owen
WWI Poetry - published by his wartime friend Siegfried Sassoon
Born in Tonypandy

Bertrand Russell
Philosopher, mathemetician and the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1950.
Born in Trelleck, Monmouthshire, South Wales

Dylan Thomas
Poet, author of 'Under Milkwood' drunk genius
Born in Wales

M J Trow
Has written 24 books (so far - Dec 2002, mostly is 2 series of crime novels - one featuring Inspector Lestrade ('borrowed' from the Sherlock Holmes stories) and very funny, the other featuring a teacher called Maxwell.
From the Rhondda

Gore Vidal
Writer, commentator on politics and current affairs.
American of Welsh descent.

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 01:05:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Rupert Bear
Popular bear who had many fantasy adventures.
Lived in Beddgelert, Snowdonia (as did his creator Alfred Bestall). The local landscapes feature in his books.

Daniel Boone
American frontiersman of note.
His mother was of the Morgan family of the Tredegar estate in South East Wales

Sir Arthur Whitten Brown
First man to fly across the Atlantic.
Lived in Langland, Mumbles, Swansea

Davey Crockett
American frontierman
of Welsh descent

John Thomas Evans
Led the first expeditions along the upper Missouri River in the late eighteenth century. Before Lewis & Clark crossed the continent for the first time in 1806, Evans had progressed furthest into Continental America (to present-day North Dakota).
Born in Wales

Sir George Everest
Mount Everest was named after him because of his pioneering efforts at improving Trigonometrical equipment. (correction, see comments)
Born in Crickhowell Powys.

Jesse James
Notorious 'Wild West' Outlaw.
Welsh Grandfather

Joseph Swagman Jenkins
Famously emmigrated to Australia because of a nagging wife and was "the jolly swagman" of the popular song.
Born, lived & returned to Ceredigion.

Michael Jones
Founded the Welsh community in Patagonia.
Born in Wales.

Saint Patrick
After 6 years of Slavery he escaped to Gaul (France), became a Christian and went back to Ireland to convert them to Christianity.
St Patrick (real name Maewyn) was born in Wales and taken into slavery in Ireland by the marauding a tribe.

Bartholomew Roberts
Super pirate. Said to have invented the Skull and Crossbones flag.
From Casnewy Bach near Haverfordwest

Henry Morton Stanley
Went in search of (and found) Dr Livingdton. He carved out the Congo free state, (Zaire) for King Leopold (II) of Belgium
He was the illigitimate son of a Denghbie housemaid

David Thompson
the man who measured Canada!Almost on his own, this prodigious explorer surveyed most of the Canadian-US border during the early days of the country. Covering 80,000 miles on foot, dog sled, horseback and canoe, 200 years ago, Thompson defined one-fifth of the North American continent.
Born in Wales.

William Wallace
Rallying the Scots against the English, defeating them at Stirling Bridge.
His father was a Welsh Marcher Lord.

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 01:10:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  John Houghton
distinguished meteorologist, inspiration behind major international conferences on global warming (Rio, Kyoto, Buenos Aires).
Born in Wales.

William Jones
A noted Mathamatician. First to use Pi (1706) as a mathematical symbol.

David Kelly
Late Ministry of Defence scientist and Iraqi weapons expert, involved in controversy over Iraqi war, Tony Blair's government and the BBC.
Born in Rhondda valley.

Francis Lewis
Signer of the US Declaration of Independance as one of the Representatives from New York
Born in Llandaff

Dr Richard Pryce
Was developer of the times tables as a teaching aid and re-introduced cremation to britain.
Born in Wales

Robert Recorde
Arrived at the "=" equals symbol used in maths.
from Pembroke

Alfred Russel Wallace
Conferred with Darwin (and Darwin with him) regarding evolution of species and acknowleged as theory co -founder by Darwin in his "On the Origin of Species".
Born in Usk South Wales.

Yale
The Inventors of Yale Locks.
LINUS YALE, Sr. and LINUS YALE, Jr. were part of the Yale family who included Elihu, founder of Yale university.

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jan 18 08:46:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey, that's pretty cool.
Just how small is Wales ?
Is it bigger than Rhode Island ?
Minnie Driver is hot !

dan632 Posted: Sun Jan 18 08:54:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DAMMIT!! i clicked this thread thinking it was about the band Coheed & Cambria:'( FUCKBACON!!

addi Posted: Sun Jan 18 09:35:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Minnie Driver is hot !

Minnie Driver! (homer voice...aaaaaaarrrrrrgh)

One more thing we have in common hif.Spooky

I had no idea so many wonderful things were spawned from Wales. Spent a year one week in Cardiff back when I was a student. Lived with a sweet, but crazy woman that decided she wanted me to be her replacement son because her real son wasn't a good boy. But I digress.

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:08:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Minnie Driver is hot !
>
>Minnie Driver! (homer voice...aaaaaaarrrrrrgh)
>
>One more thing we have in common hif.Spooky
>
>I had no idea so many wonderful things were spawned from Wales. Spent a year one week in Cardiff back when I was a student. Lived with a sweet, but crazy woman that decided she wanted me to be her replacement son because her real son wasn't a good boy. But I digress.

There's nothing a Welsh mam loves more than to make visitors into their own sons and daughters, you are privelaged Addi!!
I live near Cardiff, It's a different city today (i can say that with some confidence because it changes almost daily). All the ugly 50s buildings are slowing vanishing and lovely ones with plenty of glass are being added

(Sorry aobut Al Gore though)

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:10:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dan632 said:
>DAMMIT!! i clicked this thread thinking it was about the band Coheed & Cambria:'( FUCKBACON!!

Sorry Dan dude

mat_j Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:18:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Hey, that's pretty cool.
>Just how small is Wales ?
>Is it bigger than Rhode Island ?
>Minnie Driver is hot !

The land area is just over 8,000 square miles and Wales measures 160 miles long by 60 miles wide. Snowdon is the highest mountain at 3,650 feet. The coastline is almost 750 miles long (1,200 Km.)

Rhode island has an area of 1,214 square miles

addi Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:18:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>There's nothing a Welsh mam loves more than to make visitors into their own sons and daughters, you are privelaged Addi!!
> I live near Cardiff, It's a different city today (i can say that with some confidence because it changes almost daily). All the ugly 50s buildings are slowing vanishing and lovely ones with plenty of glass are being added

I'm sure it's changed. This was back in '79. I did have a good time though and the woman was sweet, she just spooked me a little is all. I did get to attend a Cardiff football match. It was a hoot! Wish it could have been the rugby team though. Maybe someday I'll make it back. We can have a beer at the local pub and you can show me all the pretty new glass buildings. lol

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Jan 18 11:24:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Hey, that's pretty cool.
>>Just how small is Wales ?
>>Is it bigger than Rhode Island ?
>>Minnie Driver is hot !
>
>
>The land area is just over 8,000 square miles and Wales measures 160 miles long by 60 miles wide. Snowdon is the highest mountain at 3,650 feet. The coastline is almost 750 miles long (1,200 Km.)
>
>Rhode island has an area of 1,214 square miles

My uncle Tommy (Dad's brother)took a Welsh bride while visiting during ww2.
They are still married today.
Her parents and sisters came over after the war and were quickly assimilated into the American way of life.
Family name was Lovell.

Paulo Posted: Sun Jan 18 19:25:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dude i'm not going to rib you, as you know you can put forth an argument whereas our mutual friend Dave cannot. I'd like if I could to make one amendment and remove the following guy from the list:

Saunders Lewis

I just have an issue with nationalism thats all, Welsh nationalism especially.

Anyway as Matt failed to point out Mr Tom Jones and the guitarist from Motorhead both hail from where we both are living at the moment.

Also if anyone is a fan of Crowded House and has seen the video for the song "Locked Out" the woman who comes onto her door as the lead singer runs down the supposedly empty street is my deceased grandmother.

Paulo

mat_j Posted: Mon Jan 19 07:31:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>There's nothing a Welsh mam loves more than to make visitors into their own sons and daughters, you are privelaged Addi!!
>> I live near Cardiff, It's a different city today (i can say that with some confidence because it changes almost daily). All the ugly 50s buildings are slowing vanishing and lovely ones with plenty of glass are being added
>

>I'm sure it's changed. This was back in '79. I did have a good time though and the woman was sweet, she just spooked me a little is all. I did get to attend a Cardiff football match. It was a hoot! Wish it could have been the rugby team though. Maybe someday I'll make it back. We can have a beer at the local pub and you can show me all the pretty new glass buildings. lol

Indeed sir, i know just the place, it's opposite the castle and serves 14 different types of single malt whiskey, plus, two blends and three bourbons

addi Posted: Mon Jan 19 08:56:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Indeed sir, i know just the place, it's opposite the castle and serves 14 different types of single malt whiskey, plus, two blends and three bourbons

bendigedig!

mat_j Posted: Mon Jan 19 17:26:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>Indeed sir, i know just the place, it's opposite the castle and serves 14 different types of single malt whiskey, plus, two blends and three bourbons
>
>bendigedig!

Fortunatly someone was at ahnd to translate that, but yes indeed it is a bit bendigedig isnt it :-D

addi Posted: Mon Jan 19 18:38:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Fortunatly someone was at ahnd to translate that, but yes indeed it is a bit bendigedig isnt it :-D

sorry, mat. Fortunately there was a welsh to english site handy for me. I'm not really fluent in welsh you know. Hell I can't even pronounce that word : )

mat_j Posted: Tue Jan 20 08:29:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>Fortunatly someone was at ahnd to translate that, but yes indeed it is a bit bendigedig isnt it :-D
>
>sorry, mat. Fortunately there was a welsh to english site handy for me. I'm not really fluent in welsh you know. Hell I can't even pronounce that word : )

OH no my dear friend, woe betide you to think there was anything wrong with what you wrote, it is me at fault for being part of the oppressed majority not being able to speak the lingo!!!

Peace as always

m

sweet p Posted: Tue Jan 20 09:23:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >Minnie Driver is hot !

Catherine Zeta Jones is hotter.

addi Posted: Tue Jan 20 09:32:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>>Minnie Driver is hot !
>
>
>Catherine Zeta Jones is hotter.

No arguements here. Just sounds funny from you, Sweet : )

Explain your photo. Who are they?

sweet p Posted: Tue Jan 20 13:46:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:

>No arguements here. Just sounds funny from you, Sweet : )

For some reason people think it's funny when I comment on the attractiveness of other women and when I swear...I don't really know why. I think women are gorgeous, and I also need some way to vent anger!

>Explain your photo. Who are they?

They're from "City of God" [an excellent brazilian movie]. I liked the movie very much and I just really like the photo...

addi Posted: Tue Jan 20 16:14:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:

>
>For some reason people think it's funny when I comment on the attractiveness of other women and when I swear...I don't really know why. I think women are gorgeous, and I also need some way to vent anger!

LOL. No problem. I like to comment on attractive women too.
Damn Sweet P's Hot!

>
>They're from "City of God" [an excellent brazilian movie]. I liked the movie very much and I just really like the photo...

If it's out on DVD I'll look for it. I really liked your last referal, Lost in Translation.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jan 20 16:26:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
I think women are gorgeous

I am in total agreement with you sweetp
Women are gorgeous !
Goddam, I love women !

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 21 14:52:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Sweet P said:
> I think women are gorgeous
>
>I am in total agreement with you sweetp
>Women are gorgeous !
>Goddam, I love women !

Can i get an Amen?

sweet p Posted: Wed Jan 21 18:54:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>LOL. No problem. I like to comment on attractive women too.
>Damn Sweet P's Hot!

hah thank you, how nice : )

>If it's out on DVD I'll look for it. I really liked your last referal, Lost in Translation.

cool, I quite enjoyed that one!

mat_j said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Sweet P said:
>> I think women are gorgeous
>>
>>I am in total agreement with you sweetp
>>Women are gorgeous !
>>Goddam, I love women !
>
>
>Can i get an Amen?