Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Is it possible?
trogdor57 Posted: Tue Jan 27 19:16:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Is it possible for people who are friends to form a deeper relationship? (aka - going out)

dan632 Posted: Tue Jan 27 19:36:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yes it is, however going from that deeper relationship to "just friends" would be quite hard; if not seemingly impossible....Y do U ask>?

trogdor57 Posted: Tue Jan 27 19:41:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My girlfriend and I were already friends before we went out. Just, y'know, checking.

novemberrain Posted: Tue Jan 27 21:22:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sure. it's the going back to being 'just friends' that is the difficult part.

trogdor57 Posted: Tue Jan 27 21:33:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sounds like a fair enough consensus. I'd agree, since it happened with my last girlfriend. ^_^

Malik Posted: Tue Jan 27 21:47:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Before we get started, why do you want to know if friends can go out if you've already done that experiment and found that it can work?

Okay, what do you mean by friends? It's normal for acquaintences and casual friends to hook up, but a whole 'nother story for really really really close friends to hook up. Sure, most girls end up marrying their best friend, and in the hormone factory that is high school, anything can happen. But from what I've seen, those relationships don't last too long, and people get hurt much more than the usual high school relationship.

And I get what you mean by a deeper relationship, but I just don't like that term. The "going out" phase of a relationship is anything but deep. Skin deep, maybe. :)

And I completely agree with novrain. It also hurts more, because not only have you lost the romance, you've also lost the friendship. Getting back to even being "just friends" is hard enough, much less getting back to the state you two were in. (Going on eight months now, for me...)

Oh, and as a side note, I'd like to request that everyone stop using the phrase "being just friends" when talking to the opposite sex about the state of a failed relationship. Not only is it clichey as hell, it's also so fucking hard to take.

[here concludes the blithering rambling of Malik, posting far more than the origonal poster probably wanted to know]

trogdor57 Posted: Tue Jan 27 21:55:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik said:
>Before we get started, why do you want to know if friends can go out if you've already done that experiment and found that it can work?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm a little wierd that way. ^_^

>Okay, what do you mean by friends? It's normal for acquaintences and casual friends to hook up, but a whole 'nother story for really really really close friends to hook up. Sure, most girls end up marrying their best friend, and in the hormone factory that is high school, anything can happen. But from what I've seen, those relationships don't last too long, and people get hurt much more than the usual high school relationship.

Well, She was more of a casual aquataince.

>And I get what you mean by a deeper relationship, but I just don't like that term. The "going out" phase of a relationship is anything but deep. Skin deep, maybe. :)

True, ought to watch my phrasology. Let's put it this way. We are "going out," and I want it to be "a deeper relationship."

>And I completely agree with novrain. It also hurts more, because not only have you lost the romance, you've also lost the friendship. Getting back to even being "just friends" is hard enough, much less getting back to the state you two were in. (Going on eight months now, for me...)

Gotcha. Easy to become. Hard to go back.

>Oh, and as a side note, I'd like to request that everyone stop using the phrase "being just friends" when talking to the opposite sex about the state of a failed relationship. Not only is it clichey as hell, it's also so fucking hard to take.

I think that the term "just friends" is supposed to be sorta contradictory or something. You know...

>[here concludes the blithering rambling of Malik, posting far more than the origonal poster probably wanted to know]

Not really. It provided more insight. Just stuff I sometimes like to hear. I don't know.

novemberrain Posted: Tue Jan 27 21:59:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik said:
>And I completely agree with novrain. It also hurts more, because not only have you lost the romance, you've also lost the friendship. Getting back to even being "just friends" is hard enough, much less getting back to the state you two were in. (Going on eight months now, for me...)

I hear ya, Malik. It's been going on 1 year and 8 months for me.

marsteller Posted: Tue Jan 27 22:46:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Im now 21 years old. Been with my girlfriend for about 19 months, was friends with her for about 5 years before that.

libra Posted: Wed Jan 28 01:06:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well...

I've been friends with a guy for the past few months, but our friendship is stronger than some of those that i've had for the past few years, so we're really close. He likes me though, and at first I said no, but then for a while my mind changed, and we decided to give dating a try. But we've become to close of friends for me. He doesn't understand it. I'm just not attracted to him. Emotionally, I love having him around, but I can't move the relationship to the place he wants it at, so its proving to be difficult.

choke Posted: Wed Jan 28 02:52:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ahh.. and here we have it.. the difference between a girlfriend and a girl... friend. A girlfried is like an accesory. Even if she is a bitch she still 'belongs' to the guy and no matter how awful she is to him she is still known as 'his' bitch. Meanwhile, a friend is someone who can be a bitch and just be the bitch. If that makes any sense at all. Probably not. A guy can tell a friend anything because he wants to. He can tell his girlfriend anything because it is his duty or he wants her to make him look better. Thats just the way i see it. There are more differences but ill probably get excited explaining them and ramble on a little too exhaustively.

have a lovely day :)

FN Posted: Wed Jan 28 07:01:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Well...
>
>
>I've been friends with a guy for the past few months, but our friendship is stronger than some of those that i've had for the past few years, so we're really close. He likes me though, and at first I said no, but then for a while my mind changed, and we decided to give dating a try. But we've become to close of friends for me. He doesn't understand it. I'm just not attracted to him. Emotionally, I love having him around, but I can't move the relationship to the place he wants it at, so its proving to be difficult.

Just tell him his face makes you vomit, should be clear enough.

addi Posted: Wed Jan 28 07:54:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  trogdor57 said:
>Is it possible for people who are friends to form a deeper relationship? (aka - going out)

According to the laws of quantum physics it's impossible. That friend will soon "esplode", turn into a black hole, and suck the light out of you!

Leave friends as friends. You'll have more success finding romance choosing from your circle of enemies : )

Dancer Posted: Wed Jan 28 08:30:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>trogdor57 said:
>>Is it possible for people who are friends to form a deeper relationship? (aka - going out)
>
>According to the laws of quantum physics it's impossible. That friend will soon "esplode", turn into a black hole, and suck the light out of you!
>
>Leave friends as friends. You'll have more success finding romance choosing from your circle of enemies : )

LOL reminds me "what's best to eliminate your enemies by making friends of them" - by someone i can't remember the name.

mat_j Posted: Wed Jan 28 10:36:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  trogdor57 said:
>Is it possible for people who are friends to form a deeper relationship? (aka - going out)

Hey man, why not give it a shot, there's no right ad wrong answers concerning relationships only individual cases. A lot of my girlfriends were my friends before we went out. All apart from one of them still are (Shes an attention seeking weirdo-her best friend).

The trick is to be honest enough to be able to say after a couple of weeks if it's working or not.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]