Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

An question of ethics...
Archangel Posted: Wed Feb 4 23:09:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So... let's say you're the head of a small organization, you've been the head for some time (longer than anyone else before you), doing most of the work to keep the organization afloat. Now, let's say someone donated some equipment two years ago and it has not been used since. Finally, it's your time to go, would you keep the equipment if you wanted it?

Dancer Posted: Wed Feb 4 23:25:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  it will be a waste if you leave it there assuming no one else uses it. i'll ask the consent of the rest out of respect.
But you can also phrase the question such that you can get an affirmative answer

like "since no one else uses that, do you mind to let me use it?" =)

no problems of ethics if you ask...

simonvii Posted: Wed Feb 4 23:27:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if its small, like a computer or something, and no one would miss it or use it, sure i'd take it and put it to good use...however, if its like a bulldozer or a back hoe than you might wanna go thru the proper channels...

Kira Posted: Wed Feb 4 23:37:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I would, and did. I kept a dry-erase marker. I so deserved it.

No, I really wouldn't. I took the marker home by mistake. And it was out of ink.

I wouldn't want to lose my job *and* my self-respect.

Lost_Soul Posted: Thu Feb 5 02:25:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't feel it is unethicical if they were never used and no one else knows you took them. If no one uses them they wont be missed, if they wont be missed then i wouldnt figure anyone would be hurt by them disappearing, and personally if it cant be proven it didnt nesseccarily happen as far as others are concerned. I dont feel any ethics are broken if you are still presumed an upstanding citizen.

Sheoul Posted: Thu Feb 5 02:45:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It belongs to the organisation, not to you. If you were there for two years, why did'nt you try to use it for the organisation? Or sell it, and use the proceeds for something that you needed?

It would certainly be unethical for you to take it. You ought to at least ask. Maybe buy it from the organisation?

FN Posted: Thu Feb 5 10:35:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wouldnt see it as unethical if you'd just ask it first.

Otherwise just make sure nobody will ever know.

marsteller Posted: Thu Feb 5 16:30:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  stealing shit from work is a god-given, inalienable right. i wish i was able to steal more things from work.

antartica Posted: Fri Feb 6 00:20:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if a tree fell in the forest and no one was there to hear it.

does it still make a sound?

Archangel Posted: Fri Feb 6 00:55:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks for the replies, just for the record, the item is not that valuable and actually hasn't been used in 3 years and it's not a job, it's an unpaid position with lots of headaches.

Malik Posted: Fri Feb 6 14:37:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hell, if it's for a nonprofit, feel free to take it.

Here is the thing: if you announced to everyone that you would be taking it, would anyone be hurt productively by not having the item? Sure, some people might want it for themselves, and might object to you getting it (the "If I can't have it, no one can" mentality), but if no one will be inhibited by you taking it, feel free to grab it.

Archangel Posted: Fri Feb 6 14:41:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I doubt it, the offer to use it has been on the table since we got it and there it still sits.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]