Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Across the Universe
ifihadahif Posted: Sat Feb 7 09:04:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This should probably be on the "favorite lyrics" thread but i thought mr. lennon should have his own thread.

Across the Universe - the Beatles
Writer, lead vocal: John Lennon

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup,
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind,
Possessing and caressing me.
Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world,
Nothing's gonna change my world.
Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on across the universe,
Thoughts meander like a restless wind inside a letter box they
Tumble blindly as they make their way
Across the universe
Jai guru deva om

Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing
Through my open views inciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on
Across the universe
Jai guru deva om

mat_j Posted: Sat Feb 7 09:15:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This song rules too, you should know who it is Hif :-)

Cold Cold Ground

Crest fallen sidekick in an old cafe
never slept with a dream before he had to go away
there's a bell in the tower
Uncle Ray bought a round
don't worry about the army
in the cold cold ground
now don't be a cry baby
when there's wood in the shed
there's a bird in the chimmney
and a stone in my bed
when the road's washed out
they pass the bottle around
and wait in the arms
of the cold cold ground
cold cold ground
there's a ribbon in the willow
and a tire swing rope
and a briar patch of berries
takin over the slope
the cat'll sleep in the mailbox
and we'll never go to town
til we bury every dream in
the cold cold ground
cold cold ground
gimme a Winchester rifle and a whole box of shells
blow the roof off the goat barn
let it roll down the hill
the piano is firewood
times square is a dream
I find we'll lay down together in the cold cold ground
cold cold ground
cold cold ground
call the cops on the Breedloves
bring a bible and a rope
and a whole box of rebel
and a bar of soap
make a pile of trunk tires
and burn 'em all down
bring a dollar with you baby
in the cold cold ground
cold cold ground
take a weathervane rooster
throw rocks at his head
stop talking to the neighbors
til we all go dead
beware of my temper
and the dog that I've found
break all the windows in the
cold cold ground
cold cold ground

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Feb 7 09:23:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aye mat, nobody writes like mr. waits !

beetlebum Posted: Sat Feb 7 18:46:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  love the song across the universe. normally i don't particularly enjoy covers, but fiona apple does this song amazingly well... if you can find it, check it out. (i think it is on the pleasantville soundtrack.)

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Feb 7 21:10:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>love the song across the universe. normally i don't particularly enjoy covers, but fiona apple does this song amazingly well... if you can find it, check it out. (i think it is on the pleasantville soundtrack.)

i agree, she does a great cover of the song, as does rufus wainwright in the "i am sam" soundrack.

beetlebum Posted: Sun Feb 8 00:30:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>beetlebum said:
>>love the song across the universe. normally i don't particularly enjoy covers, but fiona apple does this song amazingly well... if you can find it, check it out. (i think it is on the pleasantville soundtrack.)
>
>i agree, she does a great cover of the song, as does rufus wainwright in the "i am sam" soundrack.

can't agree with you there.:) i adore rufus ("California" is one of my favorites, as is his cover of JL's "Beautiful Boy") but for some reason his rendition of Across the Universe rubs me the wrong way. i just feel like he's yelling it instead of singing it. or something. any other recommendations, though?

marsteller Posted: Sun Feb 8 03:51:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  gotta love instant pleasure

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Feb 8 08:31:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>beetlebum said:
>>>love the song across the universe. normally i don't particularly enjoy covers, but fiona apple does this song amazingly well... if you can find it, check it out. (i think it is on the pleasantville soundtrack.)
>>
>>i agree, she does a great cover of the song, as does rufus wainwright in the "i am sam" soundrack.
>
>can't agree with you there.:) i adore rufus ("California" is one of my favorites, as is his cover of JL's "Beautiful Boy") but for some reason his rendition of Across the Universe rubs me the wrong way. i just feel like he's yelling it instead of singing it. or something. any other recommendations, though?

Yeah, check out "Heaven" and "Crazy Dream" by Los Lonely Boys. They're newcomers from San Angelo, Texas, and they really rock ! Kind of like Santana mixed with Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.
If you find them, let me know what you think. If you don't I'd be happy to send you the mp3's.

beetlebum Posted: Sun Feb 8 09:49:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>beetlebum said:
>>ifihadahif said:
>>>beetlebum said:
>>>>love the song across the universe. normally i don't particularly enjoy covers, but fiona apple does this song amazingly well... if you can find it, check it out. (i think it is on the pleasantville soundtrack.)
>>>
>>>i agree, she does a great cover of the song, as does rufus wainwright in the "i am sam" soundrack.
>>
>>can't agree with you there.:) i adore rufus ("California" is one of my favorites, as is his cover of JL's "Beautiful Boy") but for some reason his rendition of Across the Universe rubs me the wrong way. i just feel like he's yelling it instead of singing it. or something. any other recommendations, though?
>
>Yeah, check out "Heaven" and "Crazy Dream" by Los Lonely Boys. They're newcomers from San Angelo, Texas, and they really rock ! Kind of like Santana mixed with Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.
>If you find them, let me know what you think. If you don't I'd be happy to send you the mp3's.

i'll let you know... thanks!

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Feb 8 12:49:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Just curious, have any of you ever heard of a young female singer from England named Joss Stone ?
I just pick up her new album "The Soul Sessions", and it just blew me away that she is only 16yrs old and white.
She is truly amazing !

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]