Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

who am i?
SntSaturn Posted: Mon Feb 9 19:33:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Things are getting very frustrating for me. I know most of you have already passed through this stage in your life, but I seem to be exceptionally stuck in a rut. The problem: I'm not sure who I am. Hmm.. I hope that makes sense. For the longest time I saw myself living in a place like Seattle. Cheap little appartment, routine of going to the coffee shop every morning, spending evenings on walks, etc. Now with Logan I'm having ideas of the little country house where I can have my horse stables in the back yard. I can spend my evenings out on the front porch watching fire flies, writing novels. I need to choose a college and I'm fighting with my parents about it (which i normally don't do.) I feel so conflicted. I want to go into medicine and help people; I want to do art because I love the creative outlet. I always thought marketing/commercial design would be very fun. I watch tv and just think: why didn't they do that for advertising? But, thats only something that came about recently. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but that changed. And then it was doctor, which changed to nursing. My sister is a diabetic and I feel like I could do a good job as a nurse. I'd also enjoy the close relationship you establish with patients. I'm considerably stable and believe I could handle the atmosphere when certain patients don't make it. Bah, i'm having a hard time expressing this in an article. I feel repressed but yet how can i be repressed when I'm don't know what I'm trying to outlet?

libra Posted: Mon Feb 9 19:48:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know exactly what you mean. I'm still like this, although I chose the easy way out and went to the Junior College in my hometown so as to put off the decision. I'm still not sure what I want to do, but one thing I have learned over the past few months is that you don't have to be totally sure. Most people don't have the same career their whole lives. You can choose to do something different twenty years down the road, and it will be ok. People pressure us to be sure of what we want to do at such a young age, when we really have no idea of the opportunities out there because high school doesn't have a class in everything.

I know what it feels like to see yourself in multiple places. I can see myself living in a big city, walking down the street with a cup of Starbucks in one hand and a gucci purse in the other. I can see myself as a yuppie mom in a suburb, driving a minivan as I chauffer the kids to soccer, dance, and art lessons. And I can see myself treking through the rainforest following a harem of gorillas and writing about them, trying to save the little amount of land they have left. I can also see myself as a teacher, teaching english to high schoolers. I still haven't chosen which path I want to take. You don't have to choose right away either. Study things you are interested right away to get an idea of whether you could be with those subjects for a long time...

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Feb 9 20:30:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SntSaturn said:
>Things are getting very frustrating for me. I know most of you have already passed through this stage in your life, but I seem to be exceptionally stuck in a rut. The problem: I'm not sure who I am. Hmm.. I hope that makes sense. For the longest time I saw myself living in a place like Seattle. Cheap little appartment, routine of going to the coffee shop every morning, spending evenings on walks, etc. Now with Logan I'm having ideas of the little country house where I can have my horse stables in the back yard. I can spend my evenings out on the front porch watching fire flies, writing novels. I need to choose a college and I'm fighting with my parents about it (which i normally don't do.) I feel so conflicted. I want to go into medicine and help people; I want to do art because I love the creative outlet. I always thought marketing/commercial design would be very fun. I watch tv and just think: why didn't they do that for advertising? But, thats only something that came about recently. I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but that changed. And then it was doctor, which changed to nursing. My sister is a diabetic and I feel like I could do a good job as a nurse. I'd also enjoy the close relationship you establish with patients. I'm considerably stable and believe I could handle the atmosphere when certain patients don't make it. Bah, i'm having a hard time expressing this in an article. I feel repressed but yet how can i be repressed when I'm don't know what I'm trying to outlet?

Have you considered being a rodeo clown ?

Seriously, your career will come to you eventually, don't try so hard to put yourself in a situation you see in your head. Hell most people don't have a clue what they want to be until they are in their 30's. Some think they do, but they always change their mind after awhile and then for some it's too late.
Just stay in school and soak up as much of life as possible.
oh yeah, wear sunscreen . . .

addi Posted: Mon Feb 9 20:43:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  don't fret. "Being who you are" doesn't suddenly arrive like a Fed Ex package. I understand what you're saying, but the process of self discovery is a continueous one (or should be). Your ideas of who you are, what you want to do, take the biggest leaps when you're younger, and, for most, lessen as they get older.

Go where things blow you for now. It may be a nice white picket fence with an insurance salsman husband and 2 kids, or it may be something 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

sweet p Posted: Mon Feb 9 20:59:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  "You are repressed but you're remarkably dressed..."
Sorry if that seems quite inappropriate...but I liked how the song I am listening to right now spat out those lines as I read your "I feel repressed line".

Anyway,

I don't mean to frighten you but I am currently past the chosing a university part, past the starting school part, past the first year of courses in the direction I chose part, past the second year of courses in a DIFFERENT direction I chose part....and I am still confused.
Maybe it's just me though.
I am very indecisive and I like everything...but nothing...all at the same time. :)

For now, I am holding onto the idea and hope that the right thing to do will hit me when it's time. I have been searching very hard and it's gotten me nowhere.
I think the best thing to do is chose something that TRULY interests you NOW. I was looking too far ahead at what outcomes seemed best and that didn't work. Now I am concentrating on what I like at the moment...and hopefully the happiness I get in doing that, will bring ideas of what should come next.

*m*a*s* Posted: Mon Feb 9 21:47:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Why not just take a general year your first year, do a few arts and a few science courses. That might help you decide where to focus your interests.

And there's no reason why doing your degree in one field means you have to quit everything else. I'm doing a biology degree, which could lead to medicine, forensics, law enforcement, research science, or a bunch of other different things. I also still write, and I take art classes as my electives.

Above all, like pretty much everyone else said, there's tons of time. Even if you do a few years of one degree, if you're not happy, you can always try something else. That's what university is for.

marsteller Posted: Mon Feb 9 22:42:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  the best way to find out who you really are is to just throw yourself into a new situation and see how you react. staying at home isn't going to teach you anything. nothing ventured, nothing gained, that sort of thing.

choke Posted: Tue Feb 10 00:57:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  marsteller said:
nothing ventured, nothing gained

hehehe... my primary school slogan :D ahh the memories..

Sheoul Posted: Tue Feb 10 02:31:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah... I'm in my final year of undergrad, and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. There's tons of exciting stuff to do, and I've tried doing as many electives as I can to get a broader view of things. When I got into first year, I figured that by this time I'd know exactly where I was going... but I don't. If anything, I'm more confused.

Don't feel pressured into knowing exactly where you are going. You're going to change as a person, and you're going to feel differently about things. Just go where life takes you and, hopefully, you'll find what makes you happy.

antartica Posted: Tue Feb 10 03:39:54 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey saturn...

i've got a good job... or at least that's what people would describe it as! haha...

but seriously i have totally no F**king clue what i realli wana do...
other than being a professional beach bum of course

so just kick back, look at your options, think about what you think you'd still enjoy being involved in down the road and join the resistance!

dan632 Posted: Tue Feb 10 04:06:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>high school doesn't have a class in everything

it damn well should!! i tell you this is why there are so many drug dealers, prostitutes and murderers getting caught now days, if they had been properly educated on how to do these things in school then they could get on and do shit the way it is supposed to be done

novemberrain Posted: Tue Feb 10 07:46:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'll have been out of college for two years in may. I've always had an idea of the field I've wanted to work in (which I am doing now) but not a firm notion of exactly what I want to do in that field. I'm still trying to figure it out.

I never took a wide variety of electives in school, but now I wish I had.

If all else fails, sntsaturn, just become a professional student:) Just keep going to school until you have a degree in everything. You could end up being a nurse who writes novels and has a side gig in marketing.

Asswipe Posted: Tue Feb 10 19:00:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'd try to worry about it as much as i could and work on a nervous break down... it's really the only helpful solution.

i'm a junior in college and i'm still undeclared, IE. i've no fucking clue what i even want to study. you have time, we all do.

lethal_poppy Posted: Wed Feb 11 00:17:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>don't fret. "Being who you are" doesn't suddenly arrive like a Fed Ex package.

Yuppers, I agree with Add. I used to have this problem too! Very much like the Quarter life crisis thingy. It SUCKS.. Big time..

Dun worry, lady luck will be shining on you soon. GRINZ..

Hmm... guess for the moment, it might be a good idea to follow your heart and take a step at a time.

At least, when you r a cranky old maid or something, you can still tell yourself or your grand kiddies that "Hey ya know, Grandma used to do this.. do that.. blah blah blah.." ;p

Live life and Love Life!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]