Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

"little stories of random life events"
simonvii Posted: Thu Feb 12 11:09:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said "people should post more little stories about random life events", so here goes...

so a few weeks ago my moms reading in the paper about these two first cousins who got married, making them 'consanguine' and i was like doesnt that mean 'with blood' or something and my mom was like i dont know and i was like i think 'sanguine' means blood but im not sure...anyways like two hours later im reading 'the da vinci code' and at the end of some chapter its like "french for blood is 'sang' and spanish for blood is 'sangre'" and i was like holy crap i just got my question answered!!!!
...so the moral of this story i guess is that the more you read the more you will think about stuff that doesnt really matter but will make you feel psychic for like 5 minutes afterward...

antartica Posted: Thu Feb 12 11:13:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sanguine

1a Of the color of blood; red.
1b Of a healthy reddish color; ruddy: a sanguine complexion.

Archaic.
2a Having blood as the dominant humor in terms of medieval physiology.
2b Having the temperament and ruddy complexion formerly thought to be characteristic of a person dominated by this humor; passionate.

3 Cheerfully confident; optimistic.

Word History: The similarity in form between sanguine, “cheerfully optimistic,” and sanguinary, “bloodthirsty,” may prompt one to wonder how they have come to have such different meanings. The explanation lies in medieval physiology with its notion of the four humors or bodily fluids (blood, bile, phlegm, and black bile). The relative proportions of these fluids was thought to determine a person's temperament. If blood was the predominant humor, one had a ruddy face and a disposition marked by courage, hope, and a readiness to fall in love. Such a temperament was called sanguine, the Middle English ancestor of our word sanguine. The source of the Middle English word was Old French sanguin, itself from Latin sanguineus. Both the Old French and Latin words meant “bloody,” “blood-colored,” Old French sanguin having the sense “sanguine in temperament” as well. Latin sanguineus was in turn derived from sanguis, “blood,” just as English sanguinary is. The English adjective sanguine, first recorded in Middle English before 1350, continues to refer to the cheerfulness and optimism that accompanied a sanguine temperament but no longer has any direct reference to medieval physiology.

Kira Posted: Thu Feb 12 14:57:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So Mouse and I aren't legally sisters. We've been best friends since we were eleven/seven, and one day after some years of joyful friendship we decided it was only right that we become sisters. So we went out at dawn, and we each built a fire, and then she put embers from her fire into mine and I put embers from my fire into hers, and we hugged and agreed to redo the ceremony every year no matter what.

It was all a little clumsy because all we knew for sure was that we didn't want to do the 'blood sisters' thing. We told our parents we wouldn't.

I can't imagine thinking of her as anything but family, and I feel like she's always been in my life. I introduce her as my sister to everyone, and it's always fun when I do this with friends of my parents, and imagine they're thinking, "I thought they only had one daughter..."

Next week we'll have been sisters for five years.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]