Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

If you have a dream, go for it
antartica Posted: Thu Feb 19 00:48:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  February 19, 2004
If you have a dream,go for it
By SUJIN THOMAS

THE Cameron Crowe film, Almost Famous, gripped me for the fifth time a few weeks ago and I could not help thinking how a young man's dreams could come true,even in a place like Singapore.

The film, which closely follows Crowe's real life story, is about a young boy, William

and his passion for music journalism and rock 'n' roll music.

William persisted in chasing his dreams although the odds were stacked against him = as a teenager, he was too young to be in the business, and he had a strict Catholic mother, who once threw his sister's precious rock 'n' roll record collection into the blazing fireplace.

Here in Singapore, there was a time when a young man blindly followed the masses and enrolled in the university as an engineering student.

He did so because it was a professional degree which supposedly guaranteed a stable career.

But as time progressed, this young man became frustrated with the mathematics-based course modules he had to read and chose instead to indulge in penning music reviews and making music with his friends.

He enjoyed writing so much that he became the editor of his hostel's bi-monthly publication and was probably the only engineering student who wrote for the university's newspaper.

As you might have guessed by now, that young man was me.

If there were any doubts then about whether I should give up studying to be an engineer, they were tossed out of the MRT during a ride to my campus one evening.

In the same train car was another young man whose back faced me with his T-shirt screaming these words: "If you enjoy your job, you will never work a day in your life."

So against everyone else's well-intentioned advice, I quit my engineering course to pursue my dreams in journalism.

And I have no regrets.

I wonder now if there are many Singaporeans like me - who are doing courses that they have no interest in.

Recently, while working as an intern at this newspaper, I met an engineering undergraduate from the Nanyang Technological University.

He told me that he really wanted to pursue a business degree but could not make the grade to get in.

So instead, he was stuck in engineering and well into his second year.

He said that he had no interest in his course and planned to do something else when he graduated.

He is yet another youngster trapped by most Singaporean parents' dreams of having their children grow up to be lawyers, engineers or doctors.

Perhaps this is just due to an age-old Asian fixation on professional degrees while labelling other pursuits as plain hogwash.

But let's face it, not everyone is cut out to be what his parents want him to be.

And in the process of satisfying filial needs,we lose hold of our dreams.

Maybe in a society like Singapore, one does not get the space to dream because financial stability is vital and presumably comes from a

steady,well-paying job that you can snare only after getting a professional university degree.

But I believe that everyone should chase his own dreams with passion and conviction, instead of merely trying to fulfil his parents' wishes.

Why limit our dreams to what others desire and then be miserable at our jobs for the rest of our lives?

All it takes is that leap of blind faith, trusting that the path we choose will be fruitful because of how we feel for it.

I have always dreamed of becoming a music journalist much like the 15-year-old Cameron Crowe did, and the past three months at this newspaper have given me the opportunity to interview some rock stars,both international and local.

Maybe I will never get a chance to go on tour with Led Zeppelin or interview Lynyrd Skynyrd, but thing's for sure.

I am living my dream, and not working a day in my life.


 
marsteller Posted: Thu Feb 19 01:06:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  almost famous was real sweet.


 
antartica Posted: Thu Feb 19 01:10:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oops... nearli forgot... got this in an email...

*thank ya Dancer*


 
iggy Posted: Thu Feb 19 01:28:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good article. came just in time.
*laughs*

i, for one, can relate to this article.

all my life, my parents wanted me to be something else.
when i was younger, they wanted me to be a lawyer. then as my dad's biz grew, so did his hopes in me taking over the company. (construction)

so off i went to do a diploma in engineering. that was the most miserable 3 1/2 years of my life. i fail my exams, got kicked out of school for failing at maths and maths based subject. it was apparent to my family that i truly suck at engineering. but they still forced me to return to school and retake everything.

so after the diploma, and the army... i decided to study wat i loved.

but i had to take a sub-major in business to 'appease' my parents.

after my uni, i was offered a damn good job offer to work as a music video director. but i had to return to s'pore to work for 2 years due to a bond with the government.

now i'm stuck in my family biz. they know i am going to leave and they are using emotional blackmail to keep me here.

as i speak, i am writing my resume and waiting for an opportunity to move on with my life and get back whatever i lost for the past 2-3 years.

for those whose parents allow them to choose the path they want. be thankful for a privilege that was never given to me.




 
Kira Posted: Thu Feb 19 01:46:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You're an inspiration, chanz.

Great article, Antartica. :) Thanks for sharing. (You too Dancer!)


 
Dancer Posted: Thu Feb 19 02:26:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >
>for those whose parents allow them to choose the path they want. be thankful for a privilege that was never given to me.
>

i never knew it meant so much.. i was lucky, i chose my path since young mainly because my parents did not have a chance to attend school, so they left all the decisions to me. i never thought it a priviledge.. until now. i am lucky indeed :)

well, good for you that you are taking a turn in your own life.


 
Dancer Posted: Thu Feb 19 02:31:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sailovzi said:
>You're an inspiration, chanz.
>
>Great article, Antartica. :) Thanks for sharing. (You too Dancer!)

:)

i did not post this as i thought there was 1 similar one that chanz put up sometime back about this couple living their dreams in USA..also a local news article.

anyways i never had any doubts that people in GT will live a life different..


 
ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 19 12:52:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish me and Addie, could go on the road together as a pair of rodeo clowns. . .


 
addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 13:05:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I wish me and Addie, could go on the road together as a pair of rodeo clowns. . .

LOL! Yeah that would be sweet, right up to the point we want to watch the day's news and I insist on the News Hour with Jim Lehrer and you want Fox News. Don't even get me started on the argument we'd get into when the rodeo hit San Fran and which bunk Libra got to sleep in! : )


 
marsteller Posted: Thu Feb 19 13:12:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  go for the dream, it could work out...just check out how good Jay-Z's doin now


 
libra Posted: Thu Feb 19 13:40:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I wish me and Addie, could go on the road together as a pair of rodeo clowns. . .
>
>LOL! Yeah that would be sweet, right up to the point we want to watch the day's news and I insist on the News Hour with Jim Lehrer and you want Fox News. Don't even get me started on the argument we'd get into when the rodeo hit San Fran and which bunk Libra got to sleep in! : )

umm....
that's only if i decide to drive down to the city...and i'm not sure i would after that revelation...


 
addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 13:47:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>umm....
>that's only if i decide to drive down to the city...and i'm not sure i would after that revelation...

Say nuttin' but nice things about cha, and this is how you thank me?! So sad!
: )


 
mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:00:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>libra said:
>
>>umm....
>>that's only if i decide to drive down to the city...and i'm not sure i would after that revelation...
>
>Say nuttin' but nice things about cha, and this is how you thank me?! So sad!
>: )

And Hif could tear down Addisons letterman poster after getting worked up watching the O'Reilly factor


 
Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:04:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>addison said:
>>libra said:
>>
>>>umm....
>>>that's only if i decide to drive down to the city...and i'm not sure i would after that revelation...
>>
>>Say nuttin' but nice things about cha, and this is how you thank me?! So sad!
>>: )
>
>And Hif could tear down Addisons letterman poster after getting worked up watching the O'Reilly factor



I like O'Reilly.


 
addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:09:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>And Hif could tear down Addisons letterman poster after getting worked up watching the O'Reilly Sphinctor

lol
Come to think of it weren't you the instigater of a thread about Hif and I in a movie a while ago?

letterman, as in the singing group?


 
ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:27:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  shpinctor ?
i kill you many times ! !


 
Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:33:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>shpinctor ?
>i kill you many times ! !



Dag Nabbit!!! I had not realized that.


Addi has fooled me yet again :)


 
addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 15:08:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  LOL!!! Oh so sophmoric on my part, but yet so funny!


 
addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 15:12:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:

>
>Dag Nabbit!!!

Too funny!
mesh, I believe you have to have a special midwestern hick license to use that word. untill then you're limited to saying, "Oh, Dear!"


 
ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 19 15:26:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>meshuggah said:
>
>>
>>Dag Nabbit!!!
>
>Too funny!
> mesh, I believe you have to have a special midwestern hick license to use that word. untill then you're limited to saying, "Oh, Dear!"

or Gol Dangy !


 
mat_j Posted: Sun Feb 22 20:55:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>And Hif could tear down Addisons letterman poster after getting worked up watching the O'Reilly Sphinctor
>
>lol
>Come to think of it weren't you the instigater of a thread about Hif and I in a movie a while ago?
>
>letterman, as in the singing group?

Yes i was

And no David LEtterman the liberal salt to Lenos conservative vinegar




tee hee sphinctor


 
mat_j Posted: Sun Feb 22 20:56:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Or the traditional cockney

cor blimey to fuck and buggery


 
misszero Posted: Sun Feb 22 22:14:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i've been using bugger-fuck. I find the best curses are formed when two curse words combine their powers.

of course, I've also been calling people 'crapweasles'.


 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]