Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Sholarship
mtutimmy Posted: Thu Feb 19 09:59:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just got done watching a report about the Roger Williams University "Whites" only scholarship and a young lady said "It's unfair to everyone else" and she hit the nail on the head because that's exactly what all raced based scholarships are. What do you all think?

addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 10:05:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Uh Oh!

Sheoul Posted: Thu Feb 19 10:09:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Life is'nt fair.

I live in South Africa. EVERYTHING (well... almost) that happens in this country revolves around race or ethnicity. If you were non-white in the past you would have been brutally opressed. Today, if you are non-black, you have to be more than twice as capable as any black person to have a shot at anything. Only blacks are eligible for most scholarships at universities here, even if they're barely making 50%'s and you're consistently hitting 90%'s.

Such is life. You learn to grow past it.

addi Posted: Thu Feb 19 10:28:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sheoul said:

>Such is life. You learn to grow past it.

Interesting viewpoint Sheoul. Do you believe past injustices against a particular race justify present day injustices towards the previous wrongdoers? Or should it all just be forgotten and everyone treated the same, regardless of recent history?

Sheoul Posted: Thu Feb 19 11:37:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Sheoul said:
>
>>Such is life. You learn to grow past it.
>
>Interesting viewpoint Sheoul. Do you believe past injustices against a particular race justify present day injustices towards the previous wrongdoers? Or should it all just be forgotten and everyone treated the same, regardless of recent history?

Nothing justifies any sort of an injustice (lol... that sounds funny). History should be remembered and learnt from. Hurting others (not the hurtERS, others... well, even the hurters) because you were/are hurt does'nt benefit anyone. Everyone ought to be treated the same.

I suppose that's easier said than done. It's hard to understand something/one that you don't understand. It's much easier to believe that there's something wrong with anyone who's different.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 19 12:46:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Discrimination of any kind is bad, even reverse discrimination. The whites only scholarship thing was to call attention to the lunacy of the Affirmative Action Program and all the lunacy spawned by said program.
Across the nation, conservatives are having bake sales where whites have to pay more than minorities. And most of these bake sales have been shut down by the administrations of the schools. Now there are lawsuits to allow them to continue.

Malik Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:17:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If somebody wants to take their private money and put a scholarship up for it, they should have the right to decide who gets that money. Even if the scholarship is racist in nature, it should still be allowed existance. Yes, racism is bad, but quashing it in the name of Political Correctness is much worse.

There is a Miss Black USA. (It might be Miss Ebony or Miss African American, I don't know), but white women are not allowed to participate. If a Miss White USA was created, the public outcry would be tremendous.

And I agree with hif, reverse discrimination IS discrimination. Dictionary.com says racism is "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability." Despite what good intentions a person may have, saying that a certain race NEEDS to have some kind of handicap or help (e.g. Affirmative Action, race-based scholarships, etc.) is racism. Sure, it's not burning crosses in people's yards, or telling them they must use seperate facilities, or putting them in interment camps, but it still is racism. Unintentional, compassionate racism.

And, while I believe that those things are racist, I also believe that they should be allowed to exist. I do not advocate them, but I think that an entity has the right to belive whatever he or she wants.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 19 14:25:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik said:
>If somebody wants to take their private money and put a scholarship up for it, they should have the right to decide who gets that money. Even if the scholarship is racist in nature, it should still be allowed existance. Yes, racism is bad, but quashing it in the name of Political Correctness is much worse.
>
>There is a Miss Black USA. (It might be Miss Ebony or Miss African American, I don't know), but white women are not allowed to participate. If a Miss White USA was created, the public outcry would be tremendous.
>
>And I agree with hif, reverse discrimination IS discrimination. Dictionary.com says racism is "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability." Despite what good intentions a person may have, saying that a certain race NEEDS to have some kind of handicap or help (e.g. Affirmative Action, race-based scholarships, etc.) is racism. Sure, it's not burning crosses in people's yards, or telling them they must use seperate facilities, or putting them in interment camps, but it still is racism. Unintentional, compassionate racism.
>
>And, while I believe that those things are racist, I also believe that they should be allowed to exist. I do not advocate them, but I think that an entity has the right to belive whatever he or she wants.

Yes if it is privately run, but govt sponsored affirmative action should not be allowed to exist. You called it compassionate racism, but it's not compassionate to the qualified white guy that lost an employment opportunity to a marginally qualified minority because of racial quotas.

mtutimmy Posted: Thu Feb 19 21:36:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've felt that anything based on superficial qualities such as race, looks, social status, etc. is the wrong way to judge a person. I think that the college republicans in this case achieved their goal by opening a dialogue about affirmative action and race-based awards. However, I do believe that affirmative action will never stop... people have come to rely on it instead of relying on themselves to get ahead. I believe in a colorblind society where everyone is on an even playing field... maybe someday, it'll happen.

Sheoul Posted: Fri Feb 20 05:08:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It is nobody's place to judge anybody else.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]