Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

The Waiting Hours
mat_j Posted: Mon Feb 23 21:57:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm writing a script the working title is 'The Waiting Hours' but it's pretty shit so i'll come up with something better later. There's an opening monoluge written by a woman named Annie who's trying to escape the miserable valley she was raised in.

And low and behold as a coincidence I have it below, it's supposed to convey her bitter hatred of the place she lives, any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers. Mat J

mat_j Posted: Mon Feb 23 21:59:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The Waiting hours

The evening descends on the town, the number of miserable squat cars droning along the main road begins to thin out and the train spews out another chunky rabble of shoppers and office workers every half hour odd, shrinking to every hour odd at seven. The pavements are grey as if they were reflecting the tempo of the sky, a certain geometry you might say, some order in the listless chaos of the burdened masses returning back to their glowing shanties, nestled in the living rock of the hills. I stand in my living room alone, I have the TV off as itís primetime over enthusiasm throbs off the inside of my eyelids sending a shivering discord through my body at every wrong quiz show answer and every dater rejected by the meat factory of people. Outside I can see the sky from my hillside home looking like an anaemic thin stew of white and grey ditchwater swirls. The colour begins to fade some more, the mottled winter pastels replaced by the intruding darkness and the unnatural Disinfectant blazes of the street lamps. Night time has arrived, and not a moment to soon.

iggy Posted: Mon Feb 23 23:00:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  interesting imagery.

lots of possibilities u have there.

play with colours, switching from sepia, b/w, overexposed, underexposed will enhance the disconnection/connection and feeling she have with the place.

out of focus will work well too. don't stick to the normal camera angles. try to play around with camera angles. that will further enhance the feelings that annie is going through.

iggy Posted: Mon Feb 23 23:11:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  some shots that u may look at for further research for your script.

1) the scene where the guy walks around a dead london town in 28 days later.

2) the grainy b/w footage from Pi the movie from Darren Aronosky.

3) the transition between colour and b/w in memento

wat i did in a short film of mine to enhance the surrealness and disconnection/connection is splicing/jump cuts of 1sec footage (recollection scenes, dream sequence) in between footages (reality) repeatedly. a simpler way to describe this will be something like a bad trip, or rapid channel surfing between ur reality and ur dreams.

i combined the above sequence with tv static to enhance the disconnection/connection between reality and ur thoughts.

maybe this will help. haha
as u can see, i'm more into camera and editing techniques, i'm really bad with scripts...

so if there's any sequence that u need help in, or a scene that u have in ur mind that u need help to transfer to footage, just holler

libra Posted: Tue Feb 24 00:29:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ah chanz. I wish you could make more films. I want you to become famous.

iggy Posted: Tue Feb 24 00:46:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *laugh*

am still trying to earn money to finance my films hahahaha...

who knows one day?

erm. famous haha. i am the great resistance leader... am i not famous enough? ;)

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Feb 24 06:54:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>*laugh*
>
>am still trying to earn money to finance my films hahahaha...
>
>who knows one day?
>
>erm. famous haha. i am the great resistance leader... am i not famous enough? ;)

hey Chanz, how come the streets are always wet in the movies no matter what the weather is ?

iggy Posted: Tue Feb 24 07:22:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol

i wish i knew the answer to that

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 24 08:33:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  OMG Libra in a Dai cap, wowie!!!!

Composes himself

Dang now i'm down to the level of Captain GOP and the Art boy wonder.

I am sorry Libra, it's not every day that you see attractive Californians in Welsh national dress :D!

addi Posted: Tue Feb 24 08:48:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Dang now i'm down to the level of Captain GOP and the Art boy wonder.

LOL! I dun know who Art Boy is, and I don't want to know!

>I am sorry Libra, it's not every day that you see attractive Californians in Welsh national dress :D!

She'd need a flannel petticoat, apron, red shawl, and stovepipe black hat to look like a welsh lass, (or else be totally nekked)

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 24 08:51:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>some shots that u may look at for further research for your script.
>
>1) the scene where the guy walks around a dead london town in 28 days later.
>
>2) the grainy b/w footage from Pi the movie from Darren Aronosky.
>
>3) the transition between colour and b/w in memento
>

Ah Chanz if there's anybody in the world i'd trust with film advice it's your good self. I was thinking along the lines of 28 days later (partially because thats the maximum tech level I'll get if this gets made!!)

I like your thoughts on momento, although i'm not sure if i'm going to go into black and white. The reason being that there's two central characters, one of them, Katie, sees the natural side of her home town, loving the hills trees and the nature every where between mans creation.

The other character Annie sees only the man made creation drowning out the naturalism of the place.

From her eyes the town looks washed out (Wet streets would be nice!), colourless apart from the harsh man made lights on cars, shopfronts and street lights. I'm thinking Lost in translation without the joy.

Katies eye's show the nature, how wherever you are you're near a tree and how parts of the valley look like gaps where nature won the fight, with little commons and parks and the ever present mountains around them.

Ideally i'd like to do to green what the Coens did for Sepia in 'Oh Brother Where art thou'.

>i combined the above sequence with tv >static to enhance the >disconnection/connection between >reality and ur thoughts.

I love this idea, it adds something to the character, like she has no peace and quiet in her mind just the static buzzing away when no other sound can be heard.

Dammit you're a little angel Chanzy baby thankyou very much, i'll keep you posted on any progress i make

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 24 08:54:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>*laugh*
>
>am still trying to earn money to finance my films hahahaha...
>
>who knows one day?
>
>erm. famous haha. i am the great resistance leader... am i not famous enough? ;)

One day Chanz, Paulo and myself will be premiering our latest cult classic and we'll walk into the theatre and you'll be there to greet us riding off the buzz of your fourth consecutive indie masterpiece.

Keep the faith brotha Film!

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 24 09:04:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>mat_j said:
>
>>Dang now i'm down to the level of Captain GOP and the Art boy wonder.
>
>LOL! I dun know who Art Boy is, and I don't want to know!
>
>>I am sorry Libra, it's not every day that you see attractive Californians in Welsh national dress :D!
>
>She'd need a flannel petticoat, apron, red shawl, and stovepipe black hat to look like a welsh lass, (or else be totally nekked)

Interesting fact Art Boy; That style of clothing has never been worn in Wales by any large number of people. It was invented by Lady Augusta Llanover a champion of Welsh culture who created A Welsh bastion in the alrgely Anglicised area of Monmouthshire. She wrote an Essay on Welsh culture in Welsh which won a prize at the 1834 eisteddford although never being fluent in the language.

The 'Traditional costume' was worn by her servants whom she employed from all over Wales despite the fact that nobody has ever really dressed like that here!

mat_j Posted: Tue Feb 24 09:06:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The nekkid part though is correct and wholly historically acurate. In a recent poll to find out the sexual habits of British people in FHM, Wales was disqualified for cheating, and it wasn't even a contest!!!

addi Posted: Tue Feb 24 09:14:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>The nekkid part though is correct and wholly historically acurate. In a recent poll to find out the sexual habits of British people in FHM, Wales was disqualified for cheating, and it wasn't even a contest!!!

Art boy laughs!!!

libra Posted: Wed Feb 25 10:20:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>OMG Libra in a Dai cap, wowie!!!!
>
>
>Composes himself
>
>Dang now i'm down to the level of Captain GOP and the Art boy wonder.
>
>
>I am sorry Libra, it's not every day that you see attractive Californians in Welsh national dress :D!
>
>

It's ok...i'm flattered.

I loved that hat. (Unfortunately it's not mine...i was trying on a bunch of hats in a hat store and my friend was taking pictures...that one was the best. The indiana jones one was pretty cool too...)

iggy Posted: Wed Feb 25 20:16:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>Ah Chanz if there's anybody in the world i'd trust with film advice it's your good self. I was thinking along the lines of 28 days later (partially because thats the maximum tech level I'll get if this gets made!!)
>

very possible with the amount of cheap video editing software available these days haha.
renegade shooting sprees galore.

>The other character Annie sees only the man made creation drowning out the naturalism of the place.
>
>From her eyes the town looks washed out (Wet streets would be nice!), colourless apart from the harsh man made lights on cars, shopfronts and street lights. I'm thinking Lost in translation without the joy.
>

hmmm. unusual camera angles should do the trick.

i like to shoot a scene from more than a POV. i shoot from at least 10 different angles for any scene so that i can show a single situation from more than an angle.

everytime u have a scene in mind, look at the place/scene where it is happening and draw imaginary lines in ur head.

for example, if it is in a room, imagine the room has lines seperating it like a Rubik cube.

explore the possibilities from there on. every angle will always give a different effect.

to make it simpler for you... this are the angles i will cover for every scene i shoot.
1) 3rd party POV
2) character's POV
3) side view
4) top view
5) child POV low angle shot
6) corner of room shot. (hi & low angle)

basically, i'll will try to get to know the location in depth even before i start scripting and shooting. location research is always important. u must always have a location (and a few backups) just in case.

>Katies eye's show the nature, how wherever you are you're near a tree and how parts of the valley look like gaps where nature won the fight, with little commons and parks and the ever present mountains around them.
>
>Ideally i'd like to do to green what the Coens did for Sepia in 'Oh Brother Where art thou'.
>

have u fiddled with any editing software?

this is how i like to play with my colours so that it looks more like 35mm shots, but in actuality it's shot from DV. it's my trade secret but what the hell haha.

first u crop ur footage. extend the footage by using the crop function.
in simple terms, it's like doing a zoom in. when u do that, the pixels in the DV footage u have will enlarge. (this is vital)

next play with the contrast and brightness. that will enhance the pixelation in ur footage and thus give u that grainy, raw NYPD blue film of feel.

then play with ur colourbar functions. always play with the colour combinations to get a different 'feel' to ur footage.

then last, strobe the footage. setting it at 2-4 Frame delay or something like that. that will give a surreal feel to ur footage... and it brings all footages to live. trust me on that

(it works best with media 100)

another idea i like to use to show surrealness is what i call 4 frame delay footage layering.

u take a shot that u have. create 2 layers on the timeline of any video editing software so u have 2 similar footages running on 2 different video tracks on a single timeline.
then, drag the video 2 track 4 frames behind the video 1 track.

then u make the video 1 footage 50-60% transparent.

this will have a LSD kinda effect when u playback ur footages.

iggy Posted: Wed Feb 25 20:18:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>chanz said:
>
>One day Chanz, Paulo and myself will be premiering our latest cult classic and we'll walk into the theatre and you'll be there to greet us riding off the buzz of your fourth consecutive indie masterpiece.
>
>Keep the faith brotha Film!

yes my brotha. we will rule the indie circuit one day.

haha. damn, i wish u could have studied film with my crew and i haha.

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 26 08:51:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

>>The other character Annie sees only the man made creation drowning out the naturalism of the place.
>>
>>From her eyes the town looks washed out (Wet streets would be nice!), colourless apart from the harsh man made lights on cars, shopfronts and street lights. I'm thinking Lost in translation without the joy.
>>
>
>hmmm. unusual camera angles should do the trick.
>
>i like to shoot a scene from more than a POV. i shoot from at least 10 different angles for any scene so that i can show a single situation from more than an angle.
>
>everytime u have a scene in mind, look at the place/scene where it is happening and draw imaginary lines in ur head.
>
>for example, if it is in a room, imagine the room has lines seperating it like a Rubik cube.
>
>explore the possibilities from there on. every angle will always give a different effect.
>
>to make it simpler for you... this are the angles i will cover for every scene i shoot.
>1) 3rd party POV
>2) character's POV
>3) side view
>4) top view
>5) child POV low angle shot
>6) corner of room shot. (hi & low angle)

Cheers for that Rubiks cube thing tht's useful i never though of that before. If we do film on actual film stock i probabaly wont be able to afford to film so many angles, right now we just have to meticulously plan everything before we do it. LAst year we spent four hours in my roon planning shots with a salt shaker, a glass and an ashtray whilst smoking joints, it was fun but excurciatingly slow. However, chances are it will be on DV which will make things a lot easier.

>have u fiddled with any editing software?

We have Final cut pro and imovie to edit with, FCP is pretty good for things like filters etc
>
>this is how i like to play with my colours so that it looks more like 35mm shots, but in actuality it's shot from DV. it's my trade secret but what the hell haha.
>
>first u crop ur footage. extend the footage by using the crop function.
>in simple terms, it's like doing a zoom in. when u do that, the pixels in the DV footage u have will enlarge. (this is vital)
>
>next play with the contrast and brightness. that will enhance the pixelation in ur footage and thus give u that grainy, raw NYPD blue film of feel.
>
>then play with ur colourbar functions. always play with the colour combinations to get a different 'feel' to ur footage.
>
>then last, strobe the footage. setting it at 2-4 Frame delay or something like that. that will give a surreal feel to ur footage... and it brings all footages to live. trust me on that

That is genius thanks, i have tried something similar before, i wish i could show you the bleak washed out shots on our film last year called 'factory' (Essentially a cheesey Zombie film that we wrote and filmed before the success of 28 days later)

>another idea i like to use to show surrealness is what i call 4 frame delay footage layering.
>
>u take a shot that u have. create 2 layers on the timeline of any video editing software so u have 2 similar footages running on 2 different video tracks on a single timeline.
>then, drag the video 2 track 4 frames behind the video 1 track.
>
>then u make the video 1 footage 50-60% transparent.
>
>this will have a LSD kinda effect when u playback ur footages.
>
>Cool!!!
>

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]