Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

cities
Iamjustdancing. Posted: Wed Feb 25 10:52:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  OLD MAN: Perhaps a city is aliving thing. Each city has its own personality, after all. Los Angeles is not Vienna. London is not Moscos. Chicago is not Paris. Each city is a collection of lives and buildings and it has its own personality.
So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams.

This is a quote from the sandman series. I was thinking about it quite a bit when i read it. Does anyone else think that cities have souls? Or a being per say? From my travels i think its true, very true. But then i think... what about the people? Do the people make the place? Like the quote from Dune "Parting with people is a sadness; a place is only a place." I try to imagine a city/place/park with no people in it, and i wonder if it woul dhave the same persona as it does with the people in it. Anyway its just something to think about on hump day i guess. Post your thoughts, comments, and various city persona's (if you think that way etc)

antartica Posted: Wed Feb 25 11:00:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well... i do beleive and i'm speaking from experience here... that it's not reali the place that makes the place.

it's the people that makes the place.

as some of you know i do not work in one of the most touristy places in the world, but it's ok.. coz the ppl here are great!... so i lie... most of the ppl here are great... then again you can never buy a whole basket of apples without a few bad ones...

from where i come from the official concrete jungle Sunny Dingapore... i dunno if its reali gotta soul. coz at time despite the 24/7 buzz that the place is... i feel like it has no life..like... no spirit. but then again i could be wrong...have not spent all too much time there....

better stop... i'm losing what i'm saying... it's that new disease i contracted.. doing wierd things to me... LOL

libra Posted: Wed Feb 25 11:04:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I definitely think cities have personalities. I think, to a certain extent the people are a big factor in this, but the buildings, general atmosphere, and age also play a big part in it.

The people in cities are different too. But this might just be their response to their environment. They try to fit in with the area around them...so they become a part of the city personified.

Comparing New York and San Francisco...I see San Francisco as being kind of the doped up version of New York...more peaceful and colorful, and without the grown-up quality that New York has...as if SF is New York's little brother. Seattle's kind of the sophisticated older sister, LA is the corrupted cousin that no one talks about...oh i could go on and on, and of course, everyone sees cities in slightly different ways...so your ideas are probably much different from mine.

FN Posted: Wed Feb 25 12:15:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't know from experience but I think you can't really compare European cities with American ones and vice versa so yes there is a difference, I think it's the result of the people as well as the building and the history the cities carry along.

mat_j Posted: Wed Feb 25 12:33:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Every little thing contributes to a whole in a city, my nearest city Cardiff is the capital of my nation the seat of the national assembly but is also a relatively small provincial city in the terms of her bigger cousins like London, Birmingham and Manchester.

I'd like to think cities represented living beings, think about all the people that are fed into it each day to make it work then how at night it settles down with maybe only a few thousand people to keep it throught the night. Perhaps the city has a taste for ale and song so fills itself with intoxicated people of an eve.

If Cardiff had a personality it would be a love sport as the Millenum stadium as it's heart but at the same time it would also be a poet and a drinker due to it's increasingly more visible Bohemian side.

simonvii Posted: Wed Feb 25 23:22:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dude, dave man u should read "american gods" by neil gaiman (he also wrote sandman)...it kind of hits on what we're talking about here, where as soon as something is created or believed in, like a city, it becomes a living breathing thing...good book

misszero Posted: Thu Feb 26 05:01:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  'once, in a movie, I heard California described as a beautiful dancing lady, high on heroin, enchanting like the drug, who doesn't know she's dying 'til you show her the marks' - marele day

misszero Posted: Thu Feb 26 05:12:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i have been to california. and i can't say this quote recalls what I remember. I mean, I was 7. I more or less remember Disneyland, and disney land alone. heh. But it has to do with soul.

People definately make the soul. My town is a traditionally industrial town (I think maybe detroit has a similar thing going on, with factories and stuff) but we have the highest percentage of artists for our population. (and I found out today, highest percentage of Balerinas too) without those people, this town would be dead, as all the industries closed.

misszero Posted: Thu Feb 26 05:12:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

sweet p Posted: Thu Feb 26 12:26:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My surroundings are very important to me.
Maybe I'm just crazy but I have made some associations with my favourite cities to the important people in my life. The feelings and the effects of the atmosphere I get from visiting and experiencing new places are very similar to the way certain people can make me feel. I can almost assign places [not just cities] to the important people in my life, solely based on how we interact and the ways they make me feel [and not because I visited those places with those particular people].
Is that crazy?

libra Posted: Thu Feb 26 12:35:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sweet P said:
>My surroundings are very important to me.
>Maybe I'm just crazy but I have made some associations with my favourite cities to the important people in my life. The feelings and the effects of the atmosphere I get from visiting and experiencing new places are very similar to the way certain people can make me feel. I can almost assign places [not just cities] to the important people in my life, solely based on how we interact and the ways they make me feel [and not because I visited those places with those particular people].
>Is that crazy?
>
>

I know what you mean. And I've been places where I think that its a place where that person would automatically feel at home.

antartica Posted: Thu Feb 26 12:43:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I know what you mean. And I've been places where I think that its a place where that person would automatically feel at home.

taking that note... i dun even have to go around the world. just different places where you are at.

i used to live in one of the older parts of dingapore, right near the center of town in an old post war apartment, road name was too cool! One Tree Hill... he heh... but that place was like 10 mins from city center, but full of trees, low slopes, and it had its own particular feel to it, the look of the palce, the smells, the air even!

now i'm living in a govt built pigeon hole that the parents purchased (the old place was rented) and it's just so sterile, like one pigeon hole's no different than the other... and it has no life, no spirit...

everytime i pass by or return to the old neighbourhood... it always feels like i'm home despite the fact i don't live there no more.. it still feels like home...

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 26 12:45:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like big cities. I much prefer the countryside though.

And on unrelated note, so many people on the forum at one time. How cool.

mat_j Posted: Fri Feb 27 02:30:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>dude, dave man u should read "american gods" by neil gaiman (he also wrote sandman)...it kind of hits on what we're talking about here, where as soon as something is created or believed in, like a city, it becomes a living breathing thing...good book

It's one of my favourite book and one of the reasons it is, is because Gaiman puts all those abstract thoughts floating in my head in tangible words ona page, then improves them, then thinks up whole new things i've never dreamed of before. Neil Gaiman is a gos in his own right

mat_j Posted: Fri Feb 27 02:34:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>libra said:
>>I know what you mean. And I've been places where I think that its a place where that person would automatically feel at home.
>
>taking that note... i dun even have to go around the world. just different places where you are at.
>
>i used to live in one of the older parts of dingapore, right near the center of town in an old post war apartment, road name was too cool! One Tree Hill... he heh... but that place was like 10 mins from city center, but full of trees, low slopes, and it had its own particular feel to it, the look of the palce, the smells, the air even!
>
>now i'm living in a govt built pigeon hole that the parents purchased (the old place was rented) and it's just so sterile, like one pigeon hole's no different than the other... and it has no life, no spirit...
>
>everytime i pass by or return to the old neighbourhood... it always feels like i'm home despite the fact i don't live there no more.. it still feels like home...

I know what you mean Ant. When i was a kid i lived in a house on top of a long hill right next to a woods and a stream and the mountainside and i played there all day long. three years ago i moved to my town now (a place called Trefforest which is neat) For two years i lived in a street which was on the main road, busy and smelly. recently i moved to a backwater street called Meadow street (It's a great name too) Now i look out of my window and see a meadow every morning and a little forest and if i walk there there's a stream and yesterday it snowed and it's the most beautiful palce on Earth.

antartica Posted: Sat Feb 28 05:20:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  didn't know were to post this. either in this thread or the "forums" thread...

so i thought i'd confuse all and put it here... lol

it's not a city but taking it as the same context.. we've all been arguing about changes etc... and in this constantly changing world we live in... it's nice to be able to go somewhere where everything or at least the frame of it is almost a constant...

and ya'll know what i'm referring to... i's talking about the GT forum... yea, of course it's not flashy, it doesn't allow you to put in lotsa stuff real easy unless ya familiar with all the scripting giberish which i'm not! amongst other stuff... but it's one of the most basic "cities", where the streets are kept clean not by the "city administrator" but the citizens!... sounds real anal now i've put it into words LOL!!!... but it's true.

it's a place we are all familiar with, we know who our neighbours are, and most importantly, i know i speak on the behalf of many of her citizens... if you could pave her roads, build our houses, shout out a hello to our neighbours, GT would be the city we'd know we'd call HOME...

oooooookieee.. before i trip over myslef, i better stop..=P

Mesh Posted: Sat Feb 28 05:36:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ant, I couldnt have said it better myself.

This place is like a nice littlel town. I am like the town fool. Or the town drunkard.

But yeah, if this were a city in life, I would call it home. I love this place, for all its good. For all its bad too. I jsut love it for how it is.

Anway I am actully gettting drunkright now so I beter not say antyhing more.

mat_j Posted: Sat Feb 28 08:22:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Ant, I couldnt have said it better myself.
>
>
>This place is like a nice littlel town. I am like the town fool. Or the town drunkard.
>
>
>But yeah, if this were a city in life, I would call it home. I love this place, for all its good. For all its bad too. I jsut love it for how it is.
>
>
>Anway I am actully gettting drunkright now so I beter not say antyhing more.

I'd say you'd be the town hard/crazy man Mesh, the
"Some cunt's glassed that lassie and noo ones leavin' thus pub tul we feend the cunt who done it!" guy

And in response to Ant, here people talking about on-line communities, i guess that's what this is, people from all over the world mulling over important and life changing issues but also hanging out and relaxing together.

antartica Posted: Sun Feb 29 05:40:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>And in response to Ant, here people talking about on-line communities, i guess that's what this is, people from all over the world mulling over important and life changing issues but also hanging out and relaxing together.

righto then...

we've got the Mayor/Guv'ner.. ok ok
the HEAD MAN!!! aka GT GOD! JQ haha...

the town hard/crazy man Mesh

what else we gotta fill in?

animal lovers *rolls eyes*

mat_j Posted: Sun Feb 29 06:04:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Can i be the guy who owns the Catholic bar on the bohemian side of town. [drools] 14 different types of whiskey, Guiness and celtic matches on a big screen TV... and M&Ms on the bar.

antartica Posted: Sun Feb 29 06:22:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  righto then!

(dunno why i'm populating the town! but some one's gotta plan it! LOL)

Mat_j's the irish bar owner!(HOPE I GOT TT RIGHT!) and make sure ye never runs oot off the nekter of de Guds!

erhm... we gotta have an artist right? that i guess would be Ludwig...

the town's Ms.Popular (in a good way of course ppl!!!) would be Libra (dun ask haha...)

the old... *cough* wise i mean guys sitting on the porches chatting in the sunset would i guess be PapaThong and ArtBoy...

er... Chanz! wanna be the town assassin or wat?

Mr.YouKnowYouWantMe... he heh heh... no prizes for guessing.. Chris...

the bevy of wonderfully gorgeous ladies who have no other job than to bake then drooling cupcakes and okok Mesh cheese cake as well... ok ok... baked stuff! (before anyone asks for anything else LOL!) would be SweetP, Ms.0h, Mouse, Momo, and... feel free to add names

will fill in more as i think up more...

anyone wanna do anything else?

addi Posted: Sun Feb 29 10:08:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:

>the old... *cough* wise i mean guys sitting on the porches chatting in the sunset would i guess be PapaThong and ArtBoy...

Ya hear that, hif? They already got us relagated to the rocking chairs, only one step away from the stinkin' grave. I thin we needs ta teach theze whippersnappers a thing or two about...about...what were we talking about again?...oh, yeah...1968, the summer of love. I remember meeting this young filly...

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Feb 29 10:16:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Ya hear that, hif? They already got us relagated to the rocking chairs, only one step away from the stinkin' grave. I thin we needs ta teach theze whippersnappers a thing or two about...about...what were we talking about again?...oh, yeah...1968, the summer of love. I remember meeting this young filly...

that's ok, as long as I get an occasional lap dance from sweetp

addi Posted: Sun Feb 29 10:40:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>that's ok, as long as I get an occasional lap dance from sweetp

lol! Dream on, lap boy! Something tells me when any plonker request concerns P it will only be happening as a fantasy.
Anyhowz, you need to be focusing on a Honeymoon lap dance from your bride to be!

ifihadahif Posted: Sun Feb 29 11:09:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>that's ok, as long as I get an occasional lap dance from sweetp
>
>lol! Dream on, lap boy! Something tells me when any plonker request concerns P it will only be happening as a fantasy.
>Anyhowz, you need to be focusing on a Honeymoon lap dance from your bride to be!

hmmm, oh yeah, I forgot, I'm getting married in the not too distant future.
seems these damn rocking chairs make you forget a lot of stuff.
And of course that back and forth rhythm tends to make me think of sweetp. . . .hmmm, sorry bout that dribble, can't help it much these days. . . .hey ! anyone want to smoke a bowl of metamucil ?

FN Posted: Sun Feb 29 12:51:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can live with that title ant ;o)

libra Posted: Sun Feb 29 13:54:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  can i also be the one that makes sure everything is pretty. I've always wanted to live somewhere where there are flowerpots hanging from the lampposts and lots of trees and such.

P.S. I just got two new trees for my backyard. Henry is a Peach tree and Alastair is a flowering pear. (Alastair has a crush on henry, but they can only conduct their affair from afar seeing as one is outside my window and the other is back by my bird's cage and the fountain.)

libra Posted: Sun Feb 29 13:55:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh, and not to be pushy or anything, but can i own a bookstore too...somewhere near mat's bar...

Kira Posted: Sun Feb 29 14:06:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If GT were a city I would STILL live in the woods eight miles south of town... But that's okay cause I'll visit GT a helluva lot more than I go into my hometown.

I'll be Mouse's spinster sister, sitting on my front steps with my notebook and my pets, waiting for Libra to come round and tell me to make my porch pretty so's I can shake my fist and be generally mean.

libra Posted: Sun Feb 29 14:11:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sailovzi said:
>
>I'll be Mouse's spinster sister, sitting on my front steps with my notebook and my pets, waiting for Libra to come round and tell me to make my porch pretty so's I can shake my fist and be generally mean.

If it's in the woods i'm sure its already very pretty.

Mouse Posted: Sun Feb 29 14:28:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ooo, Can I be the local fix-it who people call to change their oil, water their garden and fix the leaky kitchen sink?
Mouse

Mouse Posted: Sun Feb 29 14:47:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>the bevy of wonderfully gorgeous ladies who have no other job than to bake then drooling cupcakes and okok Mesh cheese cake as well... ok ok... baked stuff! (before anyone asks for anything else LOL!) would be SweetP, Ms.0h, Mouse, Momo, and... feel free to add names

Well, I'm not much for baking, other than cookies, but might be persuaded to make a few key lime pies. I can make a mean supper, if no one minds eating something good for them as well as good tasting.
Mouse

SntSaturn Posted: Sun Feb 29 16:29:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I live in the country. I want to stay there for the most part. Through my twenties i want to live in a big city though.

For GT, can I somehow share the artist job thing with Ludwig (but only part time)? Assuming that wouldn't make him too angry. The rest of the time I can be the doctor.

addi Posted: Sun Feb 29 18:01:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SntSaturn said:

>For GT, can I somehow share the artist job thing with Ludwig (but only part time)? Assuming that wouldn't make him too angry. The rest of the time I can be the doctor.

Ludwig say's it's cool with him as long as he gets a free exam and sponge bath from you.

mat_j Posted: Thu Mar 4 04:39:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sits in his bar: Hey Paulo, get of that intranet for a second and keep an eye on the bar i'm for a coffee at Above the Mud, and no stealing M and M's i'll know!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]