Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

interesting statistics...
simonvii Posted: Thu Feb 26 00:09:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  in my sociology textbook, "sociology - ninth edition", copyright 2003 by john maconis, pg. 230 states that only "2.8% of males and 1.4% of females in the U.S. claim a homosexual identity" (there's also a graph)...this is in response to someone arguing earlier who said that 1 in 10 people (10% of the population) is gay...anyway its simply not true...
also, this is interesting too, did u guys know that only 12% of the U.S population is african american? also 3% of the U.S. population is illegal immigrants....hmmm
(p.s i got a 4.0 in sociology, its a rare thing those 4.0's so im always psyched to come back to it)

libra Posted: Thu Feb 26 01:12:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm taking Soc 2 right now...Sociology of Deviants and Social problems. It's so much fun. We talk about how people are really screwed up and how everything is an illusion. I love it!

marsteller Posted: Thu Feb 26 01:47:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my sociology teacher told me that drunk driving isn't really that bad, and the reason that the laws are so strict is that some senator's kid got killed by a dwi. statistics said something like 99.6% of the time you drive sober you don't have an accident, and 99.3% of the time you drive drunk you don't have an accident...was like a US gov't study too, the numbers were real

misszero Posted: Thu Feb 26 04:54:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can study deviants?

argh!

no wait, I'm doing visual arts...same diff.

antartica Posted: Thu Feb 26 05:31:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if your teachers all come to GT they'll meet all sorts ya'll have described and more!

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 26 07:01:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>in my sociology textbook, "sociology - ninth edition", copyright 2003 by john maconis, pg. 230 states that only "2.8% of males and 1.4% of females in the U.S. claim a homosexual identity" (there's also a graph)...this is in response to someone arguing earlier who said that 1 in 10 people (10% of the population) is gay...anyway its simply not true...
>also, this is interesting too, did u guys know that only 12% of the U.S population is african american? also 3% of the U.S. population is illegal immigrants....hmmm
>(p.s i got a 4.0 in sociology, its a rare thing those 4.0's so im always psyched to come back to it)

did you also know that by itself the american black community is the 9th largest economy in the world ?

FN Posted: Thu Feb 26 07:19:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, that many admid that they are gay.

Have you also thought of the fact that by 'gay-bashing' a lot of people stay 'in the closet' as well.

I can certainly imagine teens doing so or already older people who still think it's some sort of a sin.

I know a guy who had been married for a decade or 2 and afterwards married a priest lol.

It's funny but try to place yourself in the position of that person, I don't think anybody would be laughing then.

mat_j Posted: Thu Feb 26 07:57:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>simonvii said:
>>in my sociology textbook, "sociology - ninth edition", copyright 2003 by john maconis, pg. 230 states that only "2.8% of males and 1.4% of females in the U.S. claim a homosexual identity" (there's also a graph)...this is in response to someone arguing earlier who said that 1 in 10 people (10% of the population) is gay...anyway its simply not true...
>>also, this is interesting too, did u guys know that only 12% of the U.S population is african american? also 3% of the U.S. population is illegal immigrants....hmmm
>>(p.s i got a 4.0 in sociology, its a rare thing those 4.0's so im always psyched to come back to it)
>
>did you also know that by itself the american black community is the 9th largest economy in the world ?

Man i love shit like that. Did you know My ass accounts for a third of all kisses per fiscal year in Wales

lethal_poppy Posted: Thu Feb 26 07:58:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Yeah, that many admid that they are gay.
>
>Have you also thought of the fact that by 'gay-bashing' a lot of people stay 'in the closet' as well.
>
>I can certainly imagine teens doing so or already older people who still think it's some sort of a sin.
>
>
>I know a guy who had been married for a decade or 2 and afterwards married a priest lol.
>
>
>It's funny but try to place yourself in the position of that person, I don't think anybody would be laughing then.

Hey Chris, I cant agree more, esp the part on the closetted cases. just pretty much surprised at the figures, amazingly small. well, there are a lot of folks everywhere in the world thats happily married to/cohabitating with the same sex. No big deal, no big sin. Hahaha!! unplanned pregnancies at least!! Grinz!

lethal_poppy Posted: Thu Feb 26 07:59:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lethal_poppy said:
haha! NO unplanned pregnancies, I meant.

simonvii Posted: Thu Feb 26 14:31:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

>did you also know that by itself the american black community is the 9th largest economy in the world ?

yeah i read somewhere that if the world was broken down into 1000 people, with the percentages of race etc. remaining the same, that 500 would be asian, and like 300 some would be black...its weird cuz living over here it seems like everybody must be white...also the five richest people of the 1000 would hold 95% of the wealth or something, its crazy and sad...

libra Posted: Thu Feb 26 14:43:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yea, I don't agree with that statistic, because there are probably a lot of people who dont come out of the closet...I'd like to see the count of the people who have realized they were gay in different parts of the country...like, how the gay population compares in different areas, not because people have moved to those areas but because they've lived there and came out in those places...i bet you'd see a drastic difference depending on where you are...

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Feb 26 15:49:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Yea, I don't agree with that statistic, because there are probably a lot of people who dont come out of the closet...I'd like to see the count of the people who have realized they were gay in different parts of the country...like, how the gay population compares in different areas, not because people have moved to those areas but because they've lived there and came out in those places...i bet you'd see a drastic difference depending on where you are...

how would you separate out the folks who moved to these areas because they are considered gay meccas, like san francisco or new orleans ?

libra Posted: Thu Feb 26 15:59:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>libra said:
>>Yea, I don't agree with that statistic, because there are probably a lot of people who dont come out of the closet...I'd like to see the count of the people who have realized they were gay in different parts of the country...like, how the gay population compares in different areas, not because people have moved to those areas but because they've lived there and came out in those places...i bet you'd see a drastic difference depending on where you are...
>
>how would you separate out the folks who moved to these areas because they are considered gay meccas, like san francisco or new orleans ?

i dunno how, that's why we don't have those statistics. It'd be impossible to get them...

libra Posted: Thu Feb 26 16:12:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  one way you could find something similar, is to find out how many people have come out of the closet after they've moved to a different place...

Mesh Posted: Thu Feb 26 17:23:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  World's Dumbest Town Vows To Raise IQ
Tuesday February 24, 2004

The people of Cooley, Australia, have had it with their image as the world's dumbest town. So they've embarked on an ambitious program of study to raise their average IQ by at least 20 points.

"We're tired of people making fun of us," says Mayor Marty Simpkind, noting that some Australians have started using the phrase "pulled a Cooley" when someone does something stupid.

The tiny-brained town has earned that reputation many times over. In just the last year:

Police announced they must stop all patrols, because their squad cars have run out of gas. "We can't buy new cars until the next budget year," says the police chief.

An abandoned warehouse burned to the ground because firefighters didn't hook their hoses to water hydrants. "I always thought the water was already in the truck," says a firehouse commander. "Somebody should've said something about those hydrant things."

A riot broke out on a street corner, when a crowd of pedestrians began pushing and shoving after standing at the intersection for more than an hour. "We were waiting for the stop sign to change, and it never did," says one of the few to escape injury in the melee.

Several businesses in town, including the bank, have collapsed because employees can't make change. "They'd get a $5 bill and give change for $50, or get $100 and give change for $10," says an outside auditor who investigated the bank failures. "And once word got out, the place was easy pickings for counterfeiters."

Dozens of dimwits have been hospitalized with bizarre self-inflicted injuries. Cooley residents often drive cars with cardboard sunscreens still covering the windshield, try to iron their clothes while wearing them and jump off buildings dressed as Superman because they think the cape enables them to fly. The Town Council recently outlawed Superman capes, for residents' protection.

Desperate to cure the affliction of idiocy, town officials have hired the New Zealand tutoring firm Edu-Zone to run classes in math, reading and logic for the town's 523 residents.

"Frankly, I'm not sure we'll have much success at raising their IQ," says an Edu-Zone spokeswoman. "There are some intelligence researchers who believe it's possible, but others say IQ is something you are born with and is as unchangeable as eye color.

"But we are eager to try, for the sake of the town. These people are so desperately feeble-minded, it's a wonder they're functioning at all."

Cooley's leaders hope to see the town IQ go from a dull-witted 75 to an average-intelligence mark of 95; experts say an IQ of 90 to 110 is average.

"We'd be real happy going from 75 to 95," Simpkind says. "That's two points, right?"

Dag Nab that was funny.

What? You guys want a statistic?

Ok, mesh is hungry fifty percent of the time. And eats one hundred percent of the time.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Feb 27 08:12:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>in my sociology textbook, "sociology - ninth edition", copyright 2003 by john maconis, pg. 230 states that only "2.8% of males and 1.4% of females in the U.S. claim a homosexual identity" (there's also a graph)...this is in response to someone arguing earlier who said that 1 in 10 people (10% of the population) is gay...anyway its simply not true...
>also, this is interesting too, did u guys know that only 12% of the U.S population is african american? also 3% of the U.S. population is illegal immigrants....hmmm
>(p.s i got a 4.0 in sociology, its a rare thing those 4.0's so im always psyched to come back to it)

>Benjamin Disraeli said:
>There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I don't trust sociology because of its overwhelmingly strong push to the center of everything: academy, outlooks on modern (or post-modern) society, etc.
Many homosexual prefer to stay in the closet because of fear of reprisal. Some prefer not to answer surveys like those because its no one's business and of fears of reprisal. It's not like America does not have a history of attacking in one way or another its minorities. Same goes with the African-American population. Much of that population does not trust government, mainly for its selective caring on certain issues, but that's something else.
Also that 3% of illegal aliens is laughable. Not because of the number itself, but that someone tried to give a number: illegals are considered that because they do not register with any state board. To count them, you have to find them and prove they are here illegally, which is just not possible to do.
I'm a 3.6 Anthropology student (the new, postmodern kind) and a 3.2 Criminology student. These issues are my bread and butter. Race and religion, politics and crime.

simonvii Posted: Fri Feb 27 10:11:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah you guys may be right, i mean seriously, im not sure i agree with the 12% black U.S. population statistic either because many blacks are probably too afraid to come forward for fear of reprisal, you know, because america attacks its minorities....
yeah so p.s. that last paragraph is bullshit - i dont know one american that attacks minorities, seriously, everybody i know respects people of other races and religions, and even if they are homosexual get this - no one cares!!! the only problem anyone i know has with homosexuals is the fact they feel they need to tell the world what sex they prefer to sleep with naked at night...who the hell cares, i dont go around with signs in front of my state capital saying i sleep with beautiful women dammit

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Feb 27 10:35:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>simonvii said:
>>in my sociology textbook, "sociology - ninth edition", copyright 2003 by john maconis, pg. 230 states that only "2.8% of males and 1.4% of females in the U.S. claim a homosexual identity" (there's also a graph)...this is in response to someone arguing earlier who said that 1 in 10 people (10% of the population) is gay...anyway its simply not true...
>>also, this is interesting too, did u guys know that only 12% of the U.S population is african american? also 3% of the U.S. population is illegal immigrants....hmmm
>>(p.s i got a 4.0 in sociology, its a rare thing those 4.0's so im always psyched to come back to it)
>
>>Benjamin Disraeli said:
>>There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
>
>I don't trust sociology because of its overwhelmingly strong push to the center of everything: academy, outlooks on modern (or post-modern) society, etc.
>Many homosexual prefer to stay in the closet because of fear of reprisal. Some prefer not to answer surveys like those because its no one's business and of fears of reprisal. It's not like America does not have a history of attacking in one way or another its minorities. Same goes with the African-American population. Much of that population does not trust government, mainly for its selective caring on certain issues, but that's something else.
>Also that 3% of illegal aliens is laughable. Not because of the number itself, but that someone tried to give a number: illegals are considered that because they do not register with any state board. To count them, you have to find them and prove they are here illegally, which is just not possible to do.
>I'm a 3.6 Anthropology student (the new, postmodern kind) and a 3.2 Criminology student. These issues are my bread and butter. Race and religion, politics and crime.

America is no more or no less racist than any other industrialized nation in the world. Actually maybe less racist inasmuch as their black population has pretty much been assimilated into the middle class.
I can assure you that there are no blacks afraid to speak up for fear of reprisal in any situation. If there are any, they are few and far between.

as for you being an anthropology student, that means you know the theory of the subject. If you are an undergrad, then you barely know the theory, and nothing of the real world.
If you take this field as your chosen profession in life, then I can assure you that one of the first things you will have to do is to unlearn all they taught you in school and learn the world as it really is. Pretty much any employer will tell you this.
All you are doing right now as a student is building a portfolio that will prove to your future employers that you are in fact able and willing to learn. There is very little gospel in your current curriculum.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Feb 27 12:47:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>America is no more or no less racist than any other industrialized nation in the world. Actually maybe less racist inasmuch as their black population has pretty much been assimilated into the middle class.
>I can assure you that there are no blacks afraid to speak up for fear of reprisal in any situation. If there are any, they are few and far between.
>
>as for you being an anthropology student, that means you know the theory of the subject. If you are an undergrad, then you barely know the theory, and nothing of the real world.
>If you take this field as your chosen profession in life, then I can assure you that one of the first things you will have to do is to unlearn all they taught you in school and learn the world as it really is. Pretty much any employer will tell you this.
>All you are doing right now as a student is building a portfolio that will prove to your future employers that you are in fact able and willing to learn. There is very little gospel in your current curriculum.

Um, no. Yes, I am an ungrad, but a full semester and half of field school/ interning under the people who are written about in texts and papers (one does interantional work, another in Annapolis, and a third in Ohio & Harper's Ferry & DC & the slave cemetary under the Federal Courthouse in Manhattan; he did that with the first). But I'm not going to prove to you the rank of my "portfolio".
I do know that the history of this nation was O.W.G's (Old White Guys) and many groups, including blacks, woman, the poor, and other muted groups, are left out.
Also, overwhelming research shows that minorities, generally, do not trust the government, the same government that conducts the census which gets the stats of how many of who there are.

simonvii Posted: Fri Feb 27 13:11:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dan s rose said:
>Also, overwhelming research shows that minorities, generally, do not trust the government, the same government that conducts the census which gets the stats of how many of who there are.

f*ck man, does the majority even trust the government? i know i dont, the bastards

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]