Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

insertcleverthreadtitlehere
Mesh Posted: Tue Mar 9 17:45:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Four Democratic California lawmakers on Monday proposed giving teenagers as young as 14 the right to vote in a move that would make the often trailblazing state the first in the nation to do so.

Under the proposal, youths under the current legal voting age of 18 would be able to cast ballots in state and local elections only, although their vote would not have full weight that an adult vote would.

For example, a vote cast by a 14 or 15-year-old would be counted as a quarter of a vote, and a vote by a 16 or 17-year-old would be counted as half a vote.

Lawmakers say giving teenagers partial votes would get them interested in the election process and would not violate the U.S. Constitution as long as it only applied to state ballots.

"We believe it's time to open up the franchise to young Californians at the age of 14, let them register and vote and be seriously included in the process," said Democratic State Senator John Vasconcellos.

Sue North, chief of staff for Vasconcellos, said that if the proposal passes, it would be the first time any state would have amended its constitution to allow high school students to vote.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 9 18:05:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't think so. The next thing you know we'll be letting women vote!

Great to hear from you, mesh Bud!!!!
miss your colorful insights

Malik Posted: Tue Mar 9 18:14:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmmm. It would be nice for High School students to be able to vote, but I've got some criticisms. First, I think that the Democrats are doing this just in order to get the young people vote. Face it, most young people aren't conservative, and it's kinda like what happened when Lincoln freed all the slaves: most of the freed slaves voted for him, and their children kept voting for Republicans.

Secondly, while we all would like to think that we are/were in the correct mindset to vote prior to age 18, other people aren't. Sure, you may get kids into the poll booths and "interested" in candidates, but I'm pretty sure that most of them will vote for either the good looking one, the one who their parents aren't voting for, the one their girlfriend/boyfriend is voting for, etc. Sure, they'll be voting, but for the wrong reasons. Why do you think Junior High Class Presidents are given less real power than the Queen of England? Are the people that high schoolers elect really based on leadership potental?

Have you seen the ads that are targeted towards teenagers nowadays? Rap stars, sexy models, hip'n'cool kids, fast cars, are shown, but little actual information about the product is given. I can just imagine what the political ads would look like when shown on MTV. Again, the large majority of teens wouldn't be voting based on issues, but on advertising.

Also, many young people who are interested in politics work or campaign for the candidate that they like the best; because they can't vote, they feel like they have to do something. Their frustration over the loss of one vote that they don't get to cast is nullified when they get tens or hundreds of people to vote for that candidate. If they could vote, the students who feel like they need to campaign because they don't have a vote will be unmotivated.

Plus, you'd have the wave of students who would still bitch about how their votes aren't counted as much, and how if their government thinks they are mature enough to vote, they should be mature enough to drink, smoke, drive (for the 14 and 15ers), and other things.

BOTTOM LINE: I really don't think it should be an age based thing at all. Neither should anything else the government does. I know 18 year old freshmen in college who are actually less mature then when they were seniors in high school. There are seventy year old people who shouldn't be allowed to vote, and fifteen year olds who are savvy as hell in politics (damn those mini-lawyers!). I think that election day should be a national holiday, and you would be forced to pass a test on the government, and to watch an fair, impartial, indpendant debate before you voted. Or just get rid of politicans.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 9 18:25:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Very well said, Malik

"..and he's just a young lad too"

"you don't say!"

"Oh, but I do say!"

marsteller Posted: Wed Mar 10 01:29:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  fuck voting.

DanSRose Posted: Wed Mar 10 09:07:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There are so many laws and propositiions thrown onto the legislative floor it would make your head spin. Most of them are jokes and are used as test balloons or threats. Something like that would never be seriously considered.

The reason for the current voting age of 18 is directly linked to the age that enlistment effects starts at 18. It's the idea of why should you die for a country while not being let the proper imput of involvement. 18 is the age where modern tradition allows personal freedom.

Also, people under 18 have the largest disposable income in the nation. Pandering to them would breach practical ethics.

SntSaturn Posted: Wed Mar 10 11:21:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Recently our town voted on our school levy. It lost by 200 votes. If high schoolers could have been allowed to vote we could have saved a variety of programs. Now with the budget cut, our life is going to be impeded greatly. Thursday night I believe they decide the definite cuts but I do believe gifted programs, honors classes, sports, musicals, art, etc. are all on the list to go.
It's a shame.

*yay sick day*

iggy Posted: Wed Mar 10 11:44:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  fuck voting 2

DanSRose Posted: Wed Mar 10 16:08:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>fuck voting 2

No. It may not the bestest best options, but it's pretty much the only we have. That or run for office yourself.
Yes it sucks, but it's what we got, so you make due.

dan632 Posted: Wed Mar 10 18:29:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  how about some grammar classes? they will do us gooden

iggy Posted: Wed Mar 10 19:44:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:

>No. It may not the bestest best options, but it's pretty much the only we have. That or run for office yourself.
>Yes it sucks, but it's what we got, so you make due.

why do u think i run this little racket called the resistance?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]