Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Life After Death?
marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:07:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ok, to all you jokers who answered either "yes" or "no," c'mon now. i mean, come on.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:11:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I answered no for obvious reasons.

When you turn off a machine it's gone as well.

The only reasons you can turn it on again is because it hasn't decayed, a body does.

I don't see any difference between an animal (and humans belong to that category) and a machine in this case, nor is there any reason to do otherwise.

Mesh Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:13:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I answered I dont know.

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:14:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah, i can see your reasoning, but there's absolutely no way for us to know for sure. when it comes down to it, we really don't know.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:17:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If there is absolutely no reason at all to think otherwise why would you?

What would the use be of an afterlife?

Billions upon billions upon billions of 'beings' in 'eternal happiness'.

Why is there any reason, any reason at all, to presume that it is like that?

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:18:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  people have their reasons; i just think it's ignorant to say that something doesn't exist just because you can't see why it would, and overly arrogant to think you could know for sure what happens when you die.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:21:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's called logic.

Why make stuff more complicated than it is, why do people always have to have a reason for life?

Don't hope that things will be better in the next life, make something out of this, plain and simple.

If you life sucks, tough luck.

Life is useless and there is no reason to think you'll get a better one, get over it.

addi Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:23:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  marsteller said:
>people have their reasons; i just think it's ignorant to say that something doesn't exist just because you can't see why it would, and overly arrogant to think you could know for sure what happens when you die.

Bravo!

*my god, the boy hasn't killed off all his brain cells yet!

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:24:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Bravo!
>
>*my god, the boy hasn't killed off all his brain cells yet!

hey, im workin on it.

addi Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:25:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol!
well take your time. there's no rush

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:26:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ay, no worries.

mat_j Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:52:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HEY EVERYBODY, did you check the news!!! Irefutable proof that there is an afterlife!!! At last!!!!

Well i guess that just about wraps this one up

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 17:54:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aw, ruin all my fun why don't you

Malik Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:13:54 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Completely agree with ya there marsteller

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:15:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  wow....think this is possibly the first thread where im kinda getting some "public support"

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:15:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *tear*

FN Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:19:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  There is no reason to assume or expect or doubt about the possibility or whatever that there could be an afterlife.

That's all there is to say about it.

It's like saying what if I could crap diamonds?

There's no reason to think I could, and 'you can never be sure of it' isn't a valid reason to stay open minded about it happening some day because there is no reason to assume it could happen.

It is exactly the same thing.

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:22:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >There's no reason to think I could, and 'you can never be sure of it' isn't a valid reason to stay open minded about it happening some day because there is no reason to assume it could happen.

for everyday practical living, i agree with you, but for theoretical and philosophical discussions (such as many of those here at the GTForum) i think that's a plenty good reason to stay open-minded.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:26:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Staying openminded about the possibility of an afterlife is the same as staying openminded about me shitting diamonds.

So you're saying it's possible?

If you think it is I invite you to come and check every time I take a crap. If you find anything you can even keep it.

Kira Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:54:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You could shit diamonds if you swallowed diamonds. It's not like you'd digest them.

How about THAT?!

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 18:55:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah...maybe someone slipped a few shiny ones into your morning cheerios, or whatever you crazy belgians eat.

Asswipe Posted: Mon Mar 22 19:24:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm w/ mr christophe here... logic points to no. No brain thus no sensations thus no life. you see, simba... when we die, we become the grass, and the antelope eat us and then we eat them, so we all pass through each other's bowels in the great circle of life. just this morning i ate the emu that ate your cousin. the moral: revenge is a sweet dish served emu.

marsteller Posted: Mon Mar 22 19:26:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i think that's the "circle of poo" you're referring to, asswipe.

antartica Posted: Mon Mar 22 19:51:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ans was yes... onli coz i think it's gotta be damned good on the other side... no ones ever come back.

simonvii Posted: Mon Mar 22 22:49:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ok so many people are saying no life after death because it just doesnt seem logical - but what does seem logical? that a human being, created with such infinite detail and care and with so much inside them that has to be just so and perfect would just die and that would be it? i think its illogical to think theres nothing after this life...WHY WOULD U WANT TO THINK THERES NOTHING ELSE?...thats called nihilism, and it leads to a pretty sad existence...if theres nothing else after this then none of this matters, so why be here at all why not just everybody shoot themselves?

libra Posted: Mon Mar 22 22:55:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>ok so many people are saying no life after death because it just doesnt seem logical - but what does seem logical? that a human being, created with such infinite detail and care and with so much inside them that has to be just so and perfect would just die and that would be it? i think its illogical to think theres nothing after this life...WHY WOULD U WANT TO THINK THERES NOTHING ELSE?...thats called nihilism, and it leads to a pretty sad existence...if theres nothing else after this then none of this matters, so why be here at all why not just everybody shoot themselves?

I don't think there is life after death, but i think our being here matters on a certain level...but only if you care about what happens on the earth after you're dead. Maybe it isn't about what matters or not, maybe it's a big accident and here we are trying to make sense of the nonsense. That's hard for some people to take in, for me, but basically, I figure you should just enjoy the ride...

libra Posted: Mon Mar 22 22:56:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>
>I don't think there is life after death, but i think our being here matters on a certain level...but only if you care about what happens on the earth after you're dead. Maybe it isn't about what matters or not, maybe it's a big accident and here we are trying to make sense of the nonsense. That's hard for some people to take in, for me, but basically, I figure you should just enjoy the ride...

rewriting the nonsense i just wrote:

I don't think there is life after death, but i think our being here matters on a certain level...but only if you care about what happens on the earth after you're dead. What you leave behind and all that...

Maybe it isn't about what matters or not, maybe it's a big accident and here we are trying to make sense of the nonsense. That's hard for some people to take in, but basically, I figure you should just enjoy the ride...

simonvii Posted: Mon Mar 22 23:48:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>
>I don't think there is life after death, but i think our being here matters on a certain level...but only if you care about what happens on the earth after you're dead. What you leave behind and all that...

but if theres nothing afterwards and if everyone you leave behind someday dies and theres nothing afterwards for them either - why would our being here matter? seriously on what "level" would anything matter if there was nothing after this life? there would really be no point in caring about what happens after youre dead because eventually everything and everyone will die and there wont be anything left and even if there was something left you wouldnt be around to remember it...

> basically, I figure you should just enjoy the ride...

so if this is all there is and we should just enjoy the ride why not do what you want all the time? why get a job and work all the time to go to boring school to get a boring career to raise boring kids who oneday will die and will have never mattered except to the history books, which in turn will also be gone ....

i know i sound kind of harsh but people need to take into account what saying theres nothing after this life really means

marsteller Posted: Tue Mar 23 00:02:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ok, im done on this one....i just smoked and don't really care anymore.

marsteller Posted: Tue Mar 23 00:07:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh, it does kinda bug me that 60 people voted (as of now) but only a handful have responded to the thread. pussies.

Mesh Posted: Tue Mar 23 00:11:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm glad I replied when I did. If I had waited, and replied now, then it would only look to be an attempt to make myself seem like not a pussy.

Dancer Posted: Tue Mar 23 00:19:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ashes to ashes
dust to dust

i belong to the wind

Kira Posted: Tue Mar 23 01:02:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oooh look:

....What is the meaning of afterlife...?

Oooh.

I'm serious, really. What meaning could there be in an afterlife? Will we finally understand why we lived? If so, then what is left for us in the afterlife? Is there meaning in that too? Or will we spend eternity there looking back on the life that meant something?

There isn't any meaning in this life. If there's an afterlife, there's no meaning to that either. What kind of a universe would this be if there was a Final Answer? If we ever reached it, wouldn't we cease to exist anyway? Because there would no longer be any point.

No, nothing I do matters in the grand scheme of things. But the grand scheme doesn't matter to me either, so we're even, HA. I continue to live because I like key lime pie, and I'll be damned if I'm going to check out before moon vacations become affordable to the general public. Why go to the moon? Because it's THERE, duh!

Really I'm just making up my meaning. I think it's cooler that way. ;)

On topic, I wanted to answer no because I'm stubborn like that, but I was a good girl and said I didn't know...

I also don't know if this post will make any sense...

Asswipe Posted: Tue Mar 23 01:24:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was gonna reply to this but sailovzi took care of what i had to say, in a sweeter way, no doubt. nicely said.

dan632 Posted: Tue Mar 23 01:41:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
Issac Asimov

misszero Posted: Tue Mar 23 05:22:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>i'm w/ mr christophe here... logic points to no. No brain thus no sensations thus no life. you see, simba... when we die, we become the grass, and the antelope eat us and then we eat them, so we all pass through each other's bowels in the great circle of life. just this morning i ate the emu that ate your cousin. the moral: revenge is a sweet dish served emu.
>
>

an emu tried to eat me once. i kicked its feathery ass.

mat_j Posted: Tue Mar 23 05:56:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I thought i was being savaged by an emu once but it turned out to be an ostrich, go figure

dan632 Posted: Tue Mar 23 06:22:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  your mum's an emu

mat_j Posted: Tue Mar 23 07:33:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No! your mum's an emu

zander83 Posted: Tue Mar 23 10:33:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i said yes cuz i like to think its yes(it doesn't make sense but whatever... sometimes its better to imagine the world as it should be rather then see the world as it is(para-phrased from a quote on this site i once read...))

FN Posted: Tue Mar 23 10:51:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>ok so many people are saying no life after death because it just doesnt seem logical - but what does seem logical? that a human being, created with such infinite detail and care and with so much inside them that has to be just so and perfect would just die and that would be it? i think its illogical to think theres nothing after this life...WHY WOULD U WANT TO THINK THERES NOTHING ELSE?...thats called nihilism, and it leads to a pretty sad existence...if theres nothing else after this then none of this matters, so why be here at all why not just everybody shoot themselves?

Saying that insinuates 'creation'.

You might get depressed by it perhaps if you can't handle it that this is the best you'll get, but don't think it's like that for everybody.

I am absolutely convinced that this is it and can back it up, you can't say anything to even remotely suggest that there is an afterlife.

I don't need to think there will be one either and no I'm not depressed, I'm realistic.

The reason why I don't shoot myself is plain and simple: sex, and other than that just enjoying the ride since there is nothing better to do.

FN Posted: Tue Mar 23 10:53:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  simonvii said:
>libra said:
>
>>
>>I don't think there is life after death, but i think our being here matters on a certain level...but only if you care about what happens on the earth after you're dead. What you leave behind and all that...
>
>but if theres nothing afterwards and if everyone you leave behind someday dies and theres nothing afterwards for them either - why would our being here matter? seriously on what "level" would anything matter if there was nothing after this life? there would really be no point in caring about what happens after youre dead because eventually everything and everyone will die and there wont be anything left and even if there was something left you wouldnt be around to remember it...
>
>> basically, I figure you should just enjoy the ride...
>
>so if this is all there is and we should just enjoy the ride why not do what you want all the time? why get a job and work all the time to go to boring school to get a boring career to raise boring kids who oneday will die and will have never mattered except to the history books, which in turn will also be gone ....
>
>i know i sound kind of harsh but people need to take into account what saying theres nothing after this life really means

Nothing matters. Get over it.

You don't mean anything, I don't mean anything either, nobody or nothing does, you aren't special.

The reason why you can't do whatever you want to enjoy yourself is that if everybody thinks like that there will be nothing to enjoy.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Mar 23 11:22:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>an emu tried to eat me once. i kicked its feathery ass.

now that's my kind of woman !

FN Posted: Tue Mar 23 11:25:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>misszero said:
>>an emu tried to eat me once. i kicked its feathery ass.
>
>now that's my kind of woman !

Every woman is your kind.

Those who have painted toenails just get extra treasures and mansions.

Christian Posted: Tue Mar 23 12:30:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Soooo....how'd it all "start?" :-)

FN Posted: Tue Mar 23 12:32:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't know.

But it's not because you don't know now that you won't know any time in the future.

And it's not because you don't know it's automaticly god.

People thought lightning was caused by god being pissed off, and handicaps as punishments of god, anybody willing to argue that god is the reason of lightning and handicaps?

Christian Posted: Tue Mar 23 12:35:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think that's an interestingpoint, Christophe

Malik Posted: Tue Mar 23 14:08:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hell, Christophe, I might be willing to just for the sake of arguing if I were more awake. :)

libra Posted: Tue Mar 23 14:16:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik said:
>Hell, Christophe, I might be willing to just for the sake of arguing if I were more awake. :)

oh i think you should, it'd be fun to read...

sweet p Posted: Tue Mar 23 15:26:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I went away for a few days so I didn't get to vote but I would've said "I don't know".

At the moment I don't really believe that there is an after-life...only beacuse I don't have any good ideas about what it would be like or what it could mean. But I'm sure open to the idea of one. It's too wishy-washy for me...
I mean, sometimes I think I believe in ghosts and then I realise what that would mean about what I think happens after death and then I forget the whole thing. I just seems kinda useless for me to really make the decision at this point in my life.

Archangel Posted: Tue Mar 23 17:14:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wonder if emus believe in life after death...

Paulo Posted: Tue Mar 23 19:42:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I believe so yes. I don't subscribe to any religion I just believe that there is something else other than this random plant in this random part of space.

Then again if i'm wrong, and there is nothing i'll be dead anyway and won't care.

I'd rather ponder the existence of life after death than just dismiss it, despite all the facts and evidence pointing to the contrary because i'd feel souless. Or for those of you who don't believe in souls; i'd feel as if the area of my brain where all the chemicals go, and the electrical impulses trigger, making me feel like i have a soul, isn't there.

Science has proven that God doesn't exist, that the tunnel of light people see is just the brain shutting down.

Science also tells me not to eat too much meat/chocolate/fat/sugar because its bad for me but i eat vast quantities. Science tells me to clean my hands after taking a piss but i don't always do it. Science tells me that i because i eat too much meat/chocolate/sugar i survived a nasty fall.

My point? Who knows? I'm not ragging on Science or fact, God knows fact is part of my reptoir. And science is great, just look at the net, and all the scientific shit that runs our lives.

But despite everything science has told me I still do the opposite because thats human nature, to question everything, religion, science, religious science, politics, people's beliefs etc.

Without thinking about the idea of an afterlife, without opening my mind to it, and other ideas i'd feel like less of a human being.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 23 20:02:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paulo said:

>Without thinking about the idea of an afterlife, without opening my mind to it, and other ideas i'd feel like less of a human being.

: ) well said Bro

Adrian Posted: Wed Mar 24 14:21:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No, wish I could, believe, but I don't.

choke Posted: Wed Mar 24 19:19:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you said almost the exact same thing i was thinking adrian

iggy Posted: Wed Mar 24 23:10:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ah this is a question that noone knows the answer to but they think they do.

the thing is, we will only know the answer when we get there, aye? and when we get there, does it really matter then to say "see, i knew i was right?"

anton Posted: Thu Apr 15 00:22:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  unfortunatly I have to agree with the theory that when we die all ends, however a little glimmer exists in the form of magnetic fields and kinetic science. We could continue to "exist" in some pre-atomic form through the airwaves. Lots of studies are still needed in the matter, so nobody put hopes up.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]