Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

elitists can SUKIT
joy Posted: Thu Mar 25 19:19:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  quote my astronomy professor Dr. Gatewood from today's class when he was talking about taking "the most useless class pitt offers" and how we need to get through college or else we might end up wiring houses or ... being a plumber or something like that.

the kid behind me pulled the words right out of my mouth, saying "what's wrong with that?"

and i thought about how often people, notably teachers and even more notably, teachers with their doctorates think that they are above people who are not as (formally) educated as they are.

i'll be extra specific here: the majority of the people who have said things like this happened to be teachers, NOT the majority of teachers said things like that. on the contrary, there are a good amount of teachers who are down to earth, realistic, and who do not think they are better than everyone else. this isn't teacher-bashing.

however. three stick out: my high school english teacher; my aunt, who taught high school french; and now gatewood.

the english teacher: always talked about how she was the only "professional" in the building because she had her PhD (note: two other teachers in my small school, including her husband, have their PhDs). she didn't know up from down outside of her dissertation.

my aunt: i dont' remember much about the conversation but all i heard was "could you imagine me, ME, working in a bank?" my mother worked in a bank when i was really little. she replied "i worked in a bank, what's that make me, a frikkin' moron?" note: my mom is about 100 times smarter than my aunt, a year or two ago she finished her bach. in accounting with ... i think a 4.0? or damn close to it.

and then gatewood's crack.

elitists can SUKIT

marsteller Posted: Thu Mar 25 19:57:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  fuck teachers. sadistic bastards, most of em, at least in part.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 25 20:46:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Too many professors live in the world of academia and have no idea what the real world is like. Their whole world revolves around the theory in their books, and they think it's real.
Note that I said "too many" not most or all, but just "too many".

Don't you just want to pinch their fucking heads right off ?

novemberrain Posted: Thu Mar 25 21:49:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  elitists piss me off

so much

like having a degree (and/or money) gives them the right to lord their so called superiority over eveyone else

they need to get the fuck over themselves

I was lucky enough to have a few professors in college who were not elitists. I was also unlucky enough to have a few who were.

mat_j Posted: Fri Mar 26 06:52:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What i really hate about people like that from any proffesion is they think because they are an 'expert' from one field that means they can comment on anytihng, even things they don't know about or understand like life.

Maya Posted: Fri Mar 26 06:58:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  eeeek...i wanna be a teacher!

addi Posted: Fri Mar 26 07:01:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm an ex, but it still runs through my veins.
surely there were a few good teachers you guys had that had a positive impact on your life? I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head that made me a better person.
And rich teachers? Money? Most teachers live just above the poverty line.

novemberrain Posted: Fri Mar 26 07:57:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>I'm an ex, but it still runs through my veins.
>surely there were a few good teachers you guys had that had a positive impact on your life? I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head that made me a better person.
>And rich teachers? Money? Most teachers live just above the poverty line.

I meant rich people being elitists as well. Teachers, the vast majority of them, are not paid nearly well enough for what they do. Although some do make pretty good coin (a very tiny tiny fraction of them)

The elistist nature seems to affect mostly college professors, or those with PhDs. (I'm generalizing)

My father is a teacher, as well as a cousin and a friend of mine. And are three of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet. I have a great respect for teachers. Those that don't try to prove themselves superior that is.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 26 08:01:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My fiance is a public school teacher and she does ok, not rich by any means but still not paid enough for the shit they put her through.
I think most of the elitists we were talking about in the beginning of this thread were college profs and most of them do quite well.
High school teachers for the most part, have to live in the real world, while college profs can insulate themselves if they so choose.

Christian Posted: Fri Mar 26 14:31:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I LIKE educated people

iggy Posted: Fri Mar 26 14:39:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  there are certain people in all professions and walks of life that think they are better than the rest of the general population.

but what the hell.
more people for me to hunt down...

speaking of which... i know a certain "group" of "people" that think they're all that too.
delusional sods. must be the lice.

marsteller Posted: Fri Mar 26 20:15:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  teachers at my high school started off making over 50grand a year....had quite a few old-timers that were raking in the 6figures

Puck Posted: Fri Mar 26 23:31:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The coolest teacher I've had got five years in prison for messin around with some chick in the class of '04 when she was in the 8th grade.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]