Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

whats in a name
Iamjustdancing. Posted: Fri Apr 2 13:15:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So everyone has a Posting name here obvoiusly, but i want to know what they mean to you, and why you chose it. I just think its cool you can learn so much from a name, and i am dying to know what you ppls names mean to you (please be halfway serious)

:D

Malik Posted: Fri Apr 2 13:46:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Malik means "king" in arabic. Derive whatever you want from that.

And you?

SntSaturn Posted: Fri Apr 2 13:49:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think we've had this thread before.

My name came from a band Brave Saint Saturn. They had one song that I got really attatched to when I was going through a hard time. I wanted the sn for Instant Messenger but BraveSaintSaturn wouldn't fit and SaintSaturn was already taken. Thus, SntSaturn.
Also, I love the night sky. I wanted to be an astronomer for the longest time.

libra Posted: Fri Apr 2 13:55:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well. I was born on October 22nd, so therefore I am a Libra. I don't REALLY believe in astrological stuff, but most of the libra characteristics fit me perfectly, so it is really what I am.

I also like it cause its similar to Libro which means book in spanish and I'm a readaholic.

Iamjustdancing. Posted: Fri Apr 2 14:24:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >And you?

Once upon a time, me and my best friend, ironically also named Dave, were sitting in a car outside his parents house one night. We were smoking the ganja and drinking beer. We couldn't go inside because we didn't wanna incriminate ourselves to his parents, so we just sat in the car drinking and smoking. Anyway, we were listening to the Thomas Crown Affair soundtrack and just started dancing in our seats, being all stupid and shit. but then one of us was like dude... we are on a street (granted it was a quiet cul-de-sac) but we were like what happens if a cop comes along and knocks on our window or something.

Officer: What the hell are you boys doing?
Us: We are just dancing, sir.

To us that was the funniest shit ever, and that night was just one of the best times i have had with my best friend, we laughed so hard and had such a good time, so when i am all depressed and shit, i think about that time we were just dancing.

so hence my name... I am just dancing.

dave

marsi Posted: Fri Apr 2 15:44:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When I was trying to find a username for hotmail, I tried and tried and all the names were already taken, so I wrote marsikaj - in Slovene it means many a thing. If you shorten it, you get marsi...

addi Posted: Fri Apr 2 15:51:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nothing mysterious for me
it's my middle name
named after an obscure 19th century English essayist
i started using it for my signiture on art when i was a teen and it's stuck with me as an alter ego

shortened to addi by others here

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Apr 2 17:50:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahifi
it's a palindrome
it's cool

Kira Posted: Fri Apr 2 18:53:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Shouldn't 'palindrome' be a palindrome? I mean, it only makes sense. ;)

Sailovzi is a character from one of my many unfinished stories. He is the god of wind, and has some issues with being invisible.

Puck Posted: Fri Apr 2 20:35:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Iamjustdancing. said:
>Officer: What the hell are you boys doing?
>Us: We are just dancing, sir.

Last year, my brother(21) and I drove our mother to a theater to get a gift certificate for someone. she left us in the car, so we got bored, turned up the vol. on the stereo and eventually found ourselves dancing. then some chick(45ish) walks up to my window and says,"There's no dancing in the car." Her tone made it obvious that she thought that she was funny. Still maintaining eye-contact, I roll up my window and then we started dancing again.

libra said:
>I also like it cause its similar to Libro which means book in spanish and I'm a readaholic.

My friend and I have this crazy idea that the local librarians used money from fines to buy a racehorse which they named Libro. The librarians now use the money to bet on it and they make the horse cheat too.

Does anyone know the song I Palindrome by They Might Be Giants?

Puck is a character from A Midsummer Night's Dream and a Marvel Super-villain. I got it from the first one originally.

novemberrain Posted: Fri Apr 2 20:45:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mine is for 'November Rain' by GnR. It is my favorite song.

I was also born in November.

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
And we both know hearts can change
And it's hard to hold a candle
In the cold November rain

choke Posted: Fri Apr 2 21:01:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hehehe reading all these meaningful names kinda leaves mine out in the cold...
Mine's inspired by Tool the bestest band in the hole world and kinda serves as a warning that i am a very angry small person :|
Be afraid

Dancer Posted: Fri Apr 2 21:10:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i remembered there was a thread on this..

you can look back and discover more.

for me, simply put, i dance.
*swirls out*

CorDrine Posted: Fri Apr 2 21:50:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CorDrine is short for Corrina Andrick. Its a character I created when I was in the RPG stage. She's a creater of the night, human, but adopted and raised by a prince of darkness.

I just like the character. Its like the real me, torn between worlds, not really knowing where I belong. Still drifting, and taking comfort in the night.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Apr 2 22:34:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dan- is my name
S- is for secret
Rose- read Stephen King's Dark Tower

trogdor57 Posted: Fri Apr 2 22:58:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Trogdor is a messed up dragon from Strong Bad E-mail "Dragon" at www.homestarrunner.com. I used 57, because that's what I thought the e-mail number was, but it's supposed to be 58. Woops. I never fixed it because it's what I'm used to. Oh, well.

zander83 Posted: Fri Apr 2 23:15:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nickname since high school... although at that time there was a xander on buffy so i changed mine to zander... the 83 just date of birth

simonvii Posted: Fri Apr 2 23:44:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my name used to be daniel cordes thalmann, then, due to reasons strange and mysterious, i changed it to simon august thalmann, legally...so i used simon cuz its my name and VII because i like it and wanted it tattooed on my hand...if u want a religious version - simon is the guy who carried the cross of christ, and 7 tends to be associated with God for some reason

Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 3 00:00:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  two reasonen

meshuggah is swedish death/thrash metal band I like.

and meshuggah is yiddish, maybe also similar to a hebrew word(not sure) meaning "crazy" or "senseless".

antartica Posted: Sat Apr 3 02:02:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hv had this thread before...
and same reason. my nicks antartica coz i cant spell for nuts...

but somehow have been called Ant here... but what the hey =))... peace

Asswipe Posted: Sat Apr 3 02:31:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  your mom

DaveHill Posted: Sat Apr 3 03:26:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't know really, think i just needed an alterego. All my lyrics/poetry/writing is signed Dave Hill, and i stroll messageboards around the globe disguised as DaveHill.
The name hasn't really got an idea behind it, though i read somewhere that there once was a Dave Hill who was the sidekick of some famous serial killer.
Now that's nice to know, ain't it?

iggy Posted: Sat Apr 3 09:12:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chan - that;s my name. or part of it. everyone calls me that now and forgotten what my real name is haha.

the z behind is Z- for Zhen. the mandarin form for chan.

FN Posted: Sat Apr 3 09:17:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Not too much to say about my nick, it's simply my name.

If I play games I use [DJz]Nevermore (more on that l8er) or [DJz]Blood which used to be Bloodthirster, the greater deamon of the blood god if any of you have ever played or read warhammer.

Other than that I use Nevermore, the last word in the Edgar Allan Poe poem, The Raven, my favourite poem of all times which describes how I feel, especially the last few lines. It's perfect.

Underneath my dominant cynic/realistic self there is also a romantic who likes the word 'Nevermore' and the melancholy and nostalgia it stands for.

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming.
And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - Nevermore

Maya Posted: Sat Apr 3 14:29:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  maya? hmmm, id love to say its my name but alas my folks werent that inventive, its a homage to my fave writer Maya Angelou! that and its a real cool name!

Maya Posted: Sat Apr 3 14:30:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  homage? does that only happen to dead folk? well, she aint dead but...why am i sharing my stupidity?

mat_j Posted: Sun Apr 4 12:05:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My name is a shortened form of the ancient celtic good Matalwangachoogibookiooki-jamborambo

Paulo Posted: Sun Apr 4 19:17:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well put simply my name is Paul. And i have 4 alias'. When i first started posting my name was Foamy but i lost the password. Foamy is the nickname of my nickname (I never said this would be easy to follow.)

9th Wonder Of Foam: My superhero name, his power? Pessimism, and bad spelling.

Copernicus: A saxonised name, derived from the latin "Cock Ass" a name given to me by Mat_J.

Mumpmeister: Given to me by big gay drunk Tim because I had the mumps around this time last year.

Paulo: Short for Paulo De Caza, my name in the crime underworld. Its cooler than Paul anyway.

joy Posted: Mon Apr 5 14:03:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well, this one time at church camp ....

... they nicknamed me joy (name game= awesome amy, crazy chris, etc. i was 'joyful jamie'). it stuck. i use it online and a few people still call me by it in real life, friends i met through those who gave me the nick, my bf, etc.

FN Posted: Mon Apr 5 14:28:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paulo said:
>Copernicus: A saxonised name, derived from the latin "Cock Ass" a name given to me by Mat_J.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copernicus

Paulo Posted: Mon Apr 5 18:11:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks for the info Christophe, but it was my attempt at humour. But they really do call me Copernicus because it sounds like Cock Ass.

Mouse Posted: Mon Apr 5 19:15:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am Mouse for two reasons.
For one I seem to never fail to sneak up on someone and scare them accidently at least once a day, I can be in a room for minutes before someone notices, and people start asking where I am when I am mere feet from them.
The other reason is that I have watched the Matrix an unhealthy number of times and like the character Mouse, he seems to be rather similar to me in his strangeness.
Mouse

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]