Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

How Does Caffeine Affect Us?
dan632 Posted: Thu Apr 8 19:37:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Caffeine is an addictive drug, affecting 90% of all Americans, which alters the brain's natural state, and stimulates it in a manner similar to the amphetamines cocaine and heroin.

The mechanisms employed by caffeine, cocaine, and heroin, are to close blood vessels in the brain, so the brain and body cannot sleep, to cause the release of adrenaline into the body, so the body remains active and alert, and to manipulate dopamine production in the brain, so the person experiences a temporary "high."

Caffeine may be found in its natural state in many plants, including tea leaves, coffee beans, and cocoa nuts. The pure form of caffeine is a bitter, white, crystalline powder derived from the decaffeinating process of coffee and tea. The vast number of products in which caffeine comes, range from coffee, to tea, to colas, to milk chocolate, and to pain relievers, just to mention a few.

Most people are unaware of caffeine's addictive properties. Those who consume 300 mg. or more per day, suffer from withdrawal symptoms if they abruptly cut off their caffeine supply. Most users will suffer from symptoms of fatigue and depression, irritability, tremors, jumpiness, deprivation of deep sleep, and vascular headaches, as the blood vessels in the brain dilate. Caffeine, however, can be medically useful as a cardiac stimulant, and also as a mild diuretic used to flush the system.

One of the mechanisms that caffeine addiction, cocaine addiction, and heroin addiction share, is that they block an adenosine's ability to slow the nerve cells' activity in preparation for sleep, and instead increase the speed of their activity and of the neuron firing in the brain. The caffeine causes the blood vessels in the brain to constrict, because it has blocked the adenosine's ability to open them to allow sleep. The ability of caffeine to close the blood vessels is why many pain relievers contain caffeine. If a person has a vascular headache, the caffeine in the medicine will shut down the blood vessels, thus easing the pain.

The increased neuron firing in the brain triggers the pituitary glands to release hormones that tell the adrenal glands to produce adrenaline, also known as epinephrine. Adrenaline, the "fight-or-flight" hormone, gives the user's body a boost, and heightens the person's alertness.

One final mechanism caffeine, cocaine, and heroin share, is their ability to manipulate dopamine production. Dopamine, a neurotransmitter, activates the "pleasure centers" in certain parts of the brain, and simply makes a person feel good. Naturally, the pleasurable effect produced by dopamine manipulation plays a prominent role in caffeine addiction.

The short-term effects resulting from caffeine consumption, such as alertness, renewed energy, and pleasure, may not necessarily outweigh the longer-term effects of caffeine addiction. Caffeine, despite its similarities to amphetamines, has side effects that are not nearly as severe, and withdrawal symptoms that are, generally, not life-threatening.

DanSRose Posted: Thu Apr 8 19:53:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Chocolate contains a chemical about 3 times as strong as caffine. I don't drink coffee because it tastes bad, but if you get your hand between me and my Hershey bar, you must not want that hand very much.

choke Posted: Thu Apr 8 19:55:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  drink coffee, eat chocolate, die young :P its worth it!

libra Posted: Thu Apr 8 21:19:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mmmmm

i'm addicted to both caffeine and chocolate.

Mouse Posted: Thu Apr 8 21:41:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Chocolate, aah, sweet chocolate.
I am addicted to anything with lots of sugar, anything. Caffeine has never been a big thing for me, unless in soda. Do the dew. *bzzzz*
Mouse

Blackstar Posted: Thu Apr 8 23:35:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I used to be a realll heavy caffeine addict. When I worked over the summer I'd drink 4 or 5 liters of mountain dew a day, plus a few of those "AMP" energy drinks and coffee on the weekends.

When I went back to school and didn't have the facilities or money to keep up with the addiction I had to quit cold turkey.

It feels rediculous to be talking about something like caffeine as if it had the power of cocaine or nicotine, but It was the worst thing that happened to me yet.

I became extremely grumpy, and I began sleeping less. I had tremors, minor hallucinations, and I was irritable. Did I mention it put me in a foul mood?

I told my english teacher, "F*** off, I dont give a damn what you think."

...and thats why I limit how much caffeine I take in.

Malik Posted: Fri Apr 9 00:55:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love chocolate. I love caffine. I MUST have my coffee in the morning. You don't understand...

marsteller Posted: Fri Apr 9 01:10:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  caffeine's weak. gimme some yayo

FN Posted: Fri Apr 9 04:25:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I only drink coffee in the morning when I'm @ my dad's place. Well not drink it I soak my sandwiches in it.

Chocolate rules but I don't eat a lot of candy anymore, but if I eat something sweet it's some sort of chocolate.

Cote D'ôr rules!

dan632 Posted: Fri Apr 9 09:58:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  marsteller said:
>caffeine's weak. gimme some yayo

what's yayo?

antartica Posted: Fri Apr 9 11:02:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  no caffeine no life...

i need at least my morning cup or 10 or coffee... my addiction is so bad that i don't feel that i'm "awake" till the 2nd or 3rd cup of iAndustrial strength coffee..

and it dun help that there be times i have to work through lunch and dinner... so i use it as an appetite suppresant just to get the job done...

need coffeeeeee.......

sweet p Posted: Fri Apr 9 12:01:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Well not drink it I soak my sandwiches in it.

: ) heh
I really don't like coffee too much but if I DO have it, it's usually at my grandma's and for the same thing. My friends think it's weird.

As for chocolate though, I love it. I consume it mostly in ice cream form though hahahah. Ice cream, popsicles and cookies and then chocolate bars.

mmmmmmmmmmm

marsteller Posted: Fri Apr 9 12:12:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yayo's cocaine

marsi Posted: Fri Apr 9 16:45:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  dan632 said:
>Those who consume 300 mg. or more per day, suffer from withdrawal symptoms

How much coffee is this?

I drink coffee in the morning and sometimes a cup more during the day. And in summer holidays when I can sleep in the morning as long as I wish I don't drink coffee at all. It's not hard to cut off. No serious withdrawal symptoms.

And I love chocolate. Haven't tried to live without it for a longer period of time yet.

webmaster Posted: Fri Apr 9 18:30:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Cote D'ôr rules!

Yep. Especially the bitter sweets.

FN Posted: Fri Apr 9 19:53:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cote d'or actually means 'piece of gold'

I like the simple brown kind best.

Was thinking of sending libra some packets of that along with some double lait and some mignettes, have you ever tried those chocolate mice?

FN Posted: Fri Apr 9 19:54:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  How did you get your hands on that by the way JQ, didn't you live in Singapore or something?

choke Posted: Fri Apr 9 23:23:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i dont drink coffee anymore coz i enjoy sleep 2 much :D

webmaster Posted: Sat Apr 10 03:22:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>How did you get your hands on that by the way JQ, didn't you live in Singapore or something?

Our supermarkets do carry them, although it's been some time since I remember last seeing them.

iggy Posted: Sun Apr 11 10:31:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ever since i stopped smoking... my caffiene intake has gone down as well.

it's just different drinking a cuppa without smokes.

thus i switched to green tea at home... and other drinks when i'm out.

momo Posted: Mon Apr 12 07:50:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>ever since i stopped smoking... my caffiene intake has gone down as well.
>
>it's just different drinking a cuppa without smokes.
>
>thus i switched to green tea at home... and other drinks when i'm out.
>

he's so healthy these days, it's almost scary...
am living with organic man.. hahaha
(by his standards anyhow)

addi Posted: Mon Apr 12 09:12:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>ever since i stopped smoking... my caffiene intake has gone down as well.

yeah, my coffee consumption has been cut in half since i quit too.

lethal_poppy Posted: Mon Apr 12 09:47:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  momo said:
>chanz said:
>>ever since i stopped smoking... my caffiene intake has gone down as well.
>>
>>it's just different drinking a cuppa without smokes.
>>
>>thus i switched to green tea at home... and other drinks when i'm out.
>>
>
>he's so healthy these days, it's almost scary...
>am living with organic man.. hahaha
>(by his standards anyhow)
MUAHAHAHA!!!
coffee is BAD... anyways, i haven been drinking much since the Ultimate Smokin/Coffee Machine went back, and kaoz.. just went to a coffee session with my colleagues/frens and I ODed on Cafe Lattes!! LOL!!! I was reportted to rattle on non-stop like a machine gun, resting in between to giggle like crazy and suddenly, plonk, i fell asleep.
*blushes* thus i conclude tt ODing of caffeine is BAD. :P

antartica Posted: Wed Apr 14 03:32:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  momo said:
>am living with orgasmicc man.. hahaha

like... WOW!

antartica Posted: Wed Apr 14 03:35:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:

>yeah, my coffee consumption has been cut in half since i quit too.

many, many, many moons ago when i was on harder shit than ciggies... i actually went cold turkey off it... and my only solace was coffee... was drinking like 6 or 10 cuppa fresh brews in an afternoon, just to have like a replacement drug.

chanz can attest to that..... i either get non stop flow of coffee or i get the shakes... fortunately i took onli 2 weeks or so to get off the hard shit... damn... will never go up that road again.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]