Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Behold the Power of the Cheese State
novemberrain Posted: Sun Apr 18 08:34:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  New Law Lets Wis. Teachers Force HIV Tests
By TODD RICHMOND

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Gov. Jim Doyle signed first-of-its-kind legislation Friday that requires students to get tested for HIV if teachers think they were exposed to contaminated blood.

Privacy advocates say the law infringes on students' medical privacy and could lead to discrimination against gays. Simon Davies, director of Privacy International, called the law ``a wild exaggeration'' of HIV fears.

``It's appalling,'' Davies said. ``My first reaction was it can play to the worst ignorance and bigotry of people.''

Republican Sen. Carol Roessler introduced the bill after a student at an Oshkosh alternative school cut his hand on a window and splattered blood in a teacher's eye in 2001.

The teacher asked the student to submit to a blood test, but his parents refused, said Bob Geigle, director of pupil services for the Oshkosh Area School District. The teacher, who ultimately tested negative for HIV, had to get a court order for the student to get tested.

Geigle said the law is a necessary precaution for teachers, who too often face violence or emergencies.

``They are front line personnel, so to speak,'' Geigle said. ``They're as likely as first responders to come into contact with someone who is HIV infected.''

But Davies said the circumstances in which a teacher might be infected with HIV from a student's blood are so ``exceptional, they're almost nonexistent.''

The law is the first of its kind in the country to specifically list school district employees in the same class as emergency workers who, in many states, can make people take blood tests if they think they have had contact with contaminated blood, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Wisconsin law allows emergency personnel such as firefighters and prison guards to force someone to submit to an HIV test if the worker is significantly exposed to that person's blood.

The workers must have taken precautions against exposure, must get a doctor's written proof that they were significantly exposed and have an HIV test themselves before they can force someone to take a test. The new law makes teachers subject to the same criteria as other emergency workers.

DanSRose Posted: Sun Apr 18 13:12:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  That screams to be taken to the Supreme Court. That is taking school official-student privledge to a new dangerous realm.
It'll probably get through the State court, but when it does get to the High Court it will be overturned.

Malik Posted: Sun Apr 18 20:23:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I also believe that this is a horrible violation of privacy. However, I really don't see anything unconstitutional about it. Even though I don't support it, I think it should be able to /exist/, but as a state law. It did get through their legislative body, so it must be favorable, right*?
One of the benefits of having a state/federal system is that certain states should be able to be as strict or lenient as they want to on certain issues, depending on the conditions and circumstances that are unique in their state.

*Plays a dirge for federalism*

* - Although, it would be very hard to oppose bills like this, because come next election, you would get blasted with "Joe Smith doesn't want to protect our teachers and keep our schools safe..." negative smear ads.

DanSRose Posted: Sun Apr 18 21:04:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Of course it is a violation! It's a violation of 4th Amendment Rights! It's one thing to allow body and locker searches on school grounds, but blood (and thereby DNA) samplings are so grossly over Constitutional and personal rights that it can't be let through.
Anyway, it seems to be passed over fear of homosexuals and therefor AIDS (in their minds) and mentally disturbed minors. The first is nothing-to-do-with-anything discrimination, and the second was a special circumstance that was resolved on the local level. The state didnot need to get involved.

Malik Posted: Sun Apr 18 22:04:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think that someone cutting their hand on glass and then SPLATTERING that blood into the eyeballs of a teacher is pretty common. I mean, it's all the rage around the kids these days.

Asswipe Posted: Mon Apr 19 00:17:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  honestly, the courts should have better shit to think about than this. The kid's blood should be tested after an accident like that. If you get raped and the raper is catched, do you want him to be tested to make sure he didn't give you aids or whatever? it's the same thing, both parties were exposed to another's inner juices w/ out their consent and w/ no power in the matter.

if my kid's blood got slapped in a teacher's eye, i'd take the little punk to get tested.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Apr 19 06:53:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>honestly, the courts should have better shit to think about than this. The kid's blood should be tested after an accident like that. If you get raped and the raper is catched, do you want him to be tested to make sure he didn't give you aids or whatever? it's the same thing, both parties were exposed to another's inner juices w/ out their consent and w/ no power in the matter.
>
>if my kid's blood got slapped in a teacher's eye, i'd take the little punk to get tested.
>
Asswipe, you and I are in full agreement on this one *incredulous gulp*, but "catched" ?
LMAO

addi Posted: Mon Apr 19 07:05:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>exposed to another's inner juices

LOL!
I love inner juices! It's not just for breakfast anymore : )

Asswipe Posted: Mon Apr 19 10:07:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  haha, i had a long day yesterday... catched is sweet

Archangel Posted: Mon Apr 19 15:06:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree with you too, Asswipe. I understand the kid's rights, but the teacher has the right to know also.

mat_j Posted: Wed Apr 21 07:58:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Love the pic Add man, Ludwig should really sort out his teeshirt sun tan

addi Posted: Wed Apr 21 08:35:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thank you, mat. In the U.S. we'd say Ludwig is sporting a farmers tan.

Been way too long hearing your unique and off kilter brand of Welsh insight here.

libra Posted: Wed Apr 21 10:50:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>Love the pic Add man, Ludwig should really sort out his teeshirt sun tan

you've been kinda distant mat. How's it going?

mat_j Posted: Mon Apr 26 08:42:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>mat_j said:
>>Love the pic Add man, Ludwig should really sort out his teeshirt sun tan
>
>you've been kinda distant mat. How's it going?

I'm good, been a wandering and a roaming, followed the river downstream the toher day to see how far i could go, was pretty fun, and theres the work and the creative was of avoiding it too

addi Posted: Mon Apr 26 10:09:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

>you've been kinda distant mat. How's it going?

You don't bring me flowers
You don't sing me love songs
I remember when
You couldn't wait to love me
Used to hate to leave me
Now after lovin' me late at night
Well it's good for you babe
You're feelin' alright
It used to be so natural
to talk about forever
but used to be's don't count anymore
they just lay on the floor