Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

SOS GTer in need of help EMERGENCY
Maya Posted: Tue Apr 27 05:57:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Fellow GTers, i am in trouble, i have a presentation to give tomorrow for my spanish oral and have realised that i dont have adequate information. My title is on segregation on the US, today. Does anyone have any thoughts, websites facts and figures on the following:
1) Positive discrimination
2) Guettos, how they formed etc
3) The general situation of African Americans in the US in respect to segragation...does it still exist? If so, why?
I realsie i am asking a lot, but ive so much other revision and work to deal with that this took a sideline!
Please help, i will be forever grateful!!!
x

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Apr 27 13:30:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maya said:
>Fellow GTers, i am in trouble, i have a presentation to give tomorrow for my spanish oral and have realised that i dont have adequate information. My title is on segregation on the US, today. Does anyone have any thoughts, websites facts and figures on the following:
>1) Positive discrimination
>2) Guettos, how they formed etc
>3) The general situation of African Americans in the US in respect to segragation...does it still exist? If so, why?

>I realsie i am asking a lot, but ive so much other revision and work to deal with that this took a sideline!
>Please help, i will be forever grateful!!!
>x
>
you are in trouble, segregation was outlawed in the 60's.

Maya Posted: Tue Apr 27 14:16:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>you are in trouble, segregation was outlawed in the 60's.

yeah but doesnt a form of segragtion still exist?? my teacher gave me the title!!!!

FN Posted: Tue Apr 27 14:17:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maya said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>you are in trouble, segregation was outlawed in the 60's.
>
>yeah but doesnt a form of segragtion still exist?? my teacher gave me the title!!!!

Just talk about racial prejudices

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Apr 27 14:36:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maya said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>you are in trouble, segregation was outlawed in the 60's.
>
>yeah but doesnt a form of segragtion still exist?? my teacher gave me the title!!!!
>
only voluntary and I suppose maybe economic segregation. But there are whites in the ghetto too.

Malik Posted: Tue Apr 27 15:26:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Affirmative action. Racism against white people.

I have a friend who is a white, anglo-saxton blond hair blue eyes protestant male, age 18-34. He is the majority. And, he gets about -50000 points on the affirmative action scale. Everyone these days are so worried about being racist against minorties that they go after the majority.

Postive discrimination: You could say that affirmative action has helped minorties, because it hurts white people. Also, Racism, just like thivery, is beneficial to /someone/, so if a black guy doesn't get a job because he is black, the white guy who does is helped. Police pulling over more black people for speeding gets them more money in the treasury (detect the sarcasm in that one).

Ghettos: People of the same race stick togeather. Look at the race maps of NYC in the 18th, 19th century. Jews, Irish, whatever - they all were togeather. And, it's a fact that certain neighborhoods are poor.

Blacks and discrimination: Yes, it exists. And on both sides of the fence. If by tradition only. Beliefs die hard. A whole lotta people have a whole lotta hate in 'em. By the way, the most segregated time in America is Sunday Morning Christian Church. Most churches are either 95% black or white or special ethnic churches (Greek othodox, Korean, etc.)

Sorry this is bad gramatically and maybe thoughfully, I just thought of it, and I gotta go NOW!

cajnpalt Posted: Tue Apr 27 17:43:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You could also look at self-segregation. A study was just conducted (results published but don't know where...sorry) that looked at why people sat with people of their own race, color, etc. on college campuses and why the resurgence (sp?) of segregation on college campuses. The study pretty much suggests that people look for other people of the same color, race, background. It's sort of a support system of like minded, colored folks...of course there are exceptions to the rule but you get the drift. It's an interesting study...kinda makes you think about the popular table in school a little differently.

Maya Posted: Wed Apr 28 16:06:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help guys, much love!!! xx

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Apr 28 16:32:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Maya said:
>Thanks everyone, really appreciate the help guys, much love!!! xx
>
How did the presentation go ?

Maya Posted: Thu Apr 29 17:23:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  it was rubbish but ho hum

cajnpalt Posted: Thu Apr 29 19:57:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sorry bout that Maya...at least it's over with.

misszero Posted: Mon May 3 08:21:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey malik..... i think you needed to specify that your friend was in the majority where YOU are. coz globally, he's not. i think its something like just over 2 thirds of the global population that isn't white. let alone blond.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]