Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Behind the music
FN Posted: Wed May 12 14:01:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have been wondering about this on and off for quite some time but haven't felt like doing some more extensive research on the subject:

I know why people dance (showing off their physical prowess to potential mates to make a long story short) so no need to take the time to explain that to me.

However, I wonder if anybody can tell me why people are attracted to music and 4/4 beats and stuff like that. Why do people like rythms, what are the brain functions/evolutionary functions and stuff like that behind it?

Anybody?

Zacq Posted: Wed May 12 14:56:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>However, I wonder if anybody can tell me why people are attracted to music and 4/4 beats and stuff like that.

I think that the reason behind the four - four time signature is that it's just the particular one most prominent now, and many other time signatures have become associated with particular things. Example: 3/4 is often thought of as a waltz.

I'm not sure about the rest though, and now it's bugging me.

FN Posted: Wed May 12 15:00:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well at first I was thinking because of the sort of symmetry music has, since humans are attracted to symmetry in others because it's a sign of health and so on but music doesn't have anything to do with judging the reproduction value of others.

the 4/4 was just an example, fact is though that there seems to be an attraction of some sort towards structure in music since people don't seem to like off-beat stuff.

Still isn't an explanation to the question I'm asking myself and you guys though.

Zacq Posted: Wed May 12 15:30:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Annoyingly, I just read something from Yale University that said any relationship between any of the arts and evolution is still being proven, but not enough is known yet to make much of a judgement. Dang.

Asswipe Posted: Wed May 12 20:34:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  people dance to show off their physical prowess?? shit, that's news to me. I like dancing 'cause i like music and i've always liked music. There's an aesthetic value to it, similar to watching a waterfall pour over the edge of a cliff, falling for however long and the mist softly rising from the rumbling water. I don't think, for me, there's much more to it than simply enjoying the sight, or sound rather, of the music.

the sounds don't have to follow the 4/4 time signature, any will do, just don't stray from it, which is what we call rhythm.

I think your question needs refinement because I don't see rhythms being relevent to anything, they are simply pleasant to the ear.

lyrics are a different question.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed May 12 21:43:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree with Asswipe on this one. It seems Asswipe and I have a lot that we agree on as long as it's not politics.

Also Chris, when you say people don't like off-beat stuff you are stepping on the toes of a lot of people that listen to jazz and the intricate syncopation that goes on there.

Zacq Posted: Wed May 12 22:14:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Also Chris, when you say people don't like off-beat stuff you are stepping on the toes of a lot of people that listen to jazz and the intricate syncopation that goes on there.

Yea, most people I know who have tried to play Take Five can't stand it because it's in five - four, but this is only because they're not used to it. Jazz is often simply music in odd key signatures which is then played with a certain style.

iggy Posted: Thu May 13 01:00:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erm i love to dance.

momo says i'm a closet diva but then who cares haha

i don't dance as much now cos my knees are getting a bit weak due to wear and tear.

but i love to dance. can't explain why. and no christophe, i don't dance to impress the girls.

Asswipe Posted: Thu May 13 01:35:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>erm i love to dance.
>
>momo says i'm a closet diva but then who cares haha
>
>i don't dance as much now cos my knees are getting a bit weak due to wear and tear.
>
>but i love to dance. can't explain why. and no christophe, i don't dance to impress the girls.
>
>

a closet diva... hahaha

addi Posted: Thu May 13 07:14:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm with chanz

After six hours of school I've had enough for the day
I hit the radio dial and turn it up all the way

I gotta dance (dance dance dance now the beat's really hot) right on the spot
(Dance dance dance right there on the spot)

Dance Dance Dance by the Beach Boys

I became hooked when I won a school couples dance contest in 7th grade (yeah, they used something called 45's and record players back then)

Sad thing is though I don't do it much anymore. Not that many chances since i don't go out clubbing much. Mostly on special occations and weddings, and then it's mostly swing dancing.

It's probably a very disturbing experience for teens to be watching Addi out on the dance floor clicking his fingers and shaking his booty to Earth Wind and Fire songs.

FN Posted: Thu May 13 10:36:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>I think your question needs refinement because I don't see rhythms being relevent to anything, they are simply pleasant to the ear.

Well the qsuestion is why do people like rythm and why is it 'pleasant to the ear'.

And yeah as far as I know dancing is to show off, just like a mating dance of some other animals in a way, by dancing you show that you have some vitality in you and that you are confident and what not.

I like music for the music as well, same thing with dancing, at least on a conscious level, but come to think about it I always get up on stages and stuff like that in clubs so trying to attract mates with it doesn't seem all that farfetched to me.

Christian Posted: Thu May 13 10:40:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The more in touch with your emotions you are the more "rythmic" you are...

That's how I see it!

Great topic choice, btw, Christophe, ...and a refreshing change of conversation, too!

mat_j Posted: Thu May 13 11:26:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>people dance to show off their physical prowess?? shit, that's news to me. I like dancing 'cause i like music and i've always liked music. There's an aesthetic value to it, similar to watching a waterfall pour over the edge of a cliff, falling for however long and the mist softly rising from the rumbling water. I don't think, for me, there's much more to it than simply enjoying the sight, or sound rather, of the music.
>
>the sounds don't have to follow the 4/4 time signature, any will do, just don't stray from it, which is what we call rhythm.
>
>I think your question needs refinement because I don't see rhythms being relevent to anything, they are simply pleasant to the ear.
>
>lyrics are a different question.

Good answer man
(mat_j looks at his shoes embarrasedly)
I dance because i'm always drunk!

iggy Posted: Thu May 13 20:49:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>And yeah as far as I know dancing is to show off, just like a mating dance of some other animals in a way, by dancing you show that you have some vitality in you and that you are confident and what not.
>
>I like music for the music as well, same thing with dancing, at least on a conscious level, but come to think about it I always get up on stages and stuff like that in clubs so trying to attract mates with it doesn't seem all that farfetched to me.

i believe that's your own opinion about dancing. the fact is that there are people like myself who loves to dance just because we love the freedom of expression in dance.

in my country, if u take a look at most of the guys dancing on the dance floor, u wouldn't be attracted to them at all.

most of my guys friends can't dance, in fact most of them look like they stepped on an electrical cable.

choke Posted: Fri May 14 02:55:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hmm. im one of those people who dance doing housework. :P rhythm is the weirdest word ive seen in awhile, i dance coz its fun, its a celebration of movement and of good music

Dancer Posted: Fri May 14 06:19:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>
>i believe that's your own opinion about dancing. the fact is that there are people like myself who loves to dance just because we love the freedom of expression in dance.
>
>in my country, if u take a look at most of the guys dancing on the dance floor, u wouldn't be attracted to them at all.
>
>most of my guys friends can't dance, in fact most of them look like they stepped on an electrical cable.
>
>

i agree with you chanz, most guys can't dance..

in fact, my friends prefer guys who do not dance, i guess it makes them look whole.

for me, dancing is great, cos it could be the only time i get to exercise...with a ciggie in my hand.

Christian Posted: Fri May 14 07:21:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe,
you might find this theory interesting...

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/nikolas.lloyd/evolve/menwont.html

ifihadahif Posted: Fri May 14 08:35:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I dance because the rhythm is infectuous.
It gets in my head and makes me want to move. It's very pleasant, sort of like a drug. Probably affects the very primitive part of the brain.

There's also ritual dancing, like the war dances and rain dances of the Native Americans.

Probably emanated from the invention of rock and roll by Ringo Starr in the movie "Caveman"

FN Posted: Fri May 14 11:26:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Am reading that article (thx by the way) and there is something I disagree with though: the moment I enter a club I start dancing, wether it is crowded or not lol

I like it even better when it isn't too crowded because then I have enough space to move :o)

FN Posted: Fri May 14 11:41:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thx for the article, I really enjoyed it.

I'd still like to find out why people react the way they do to beats though.

Christian Posted: Fri May 14 12:45:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  lol...uw....I'm workin' on it....I'm workin' on it! :- )

Christian Posted: Fri May 14 12:49:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  aha...a "little" bit more insight...is this helpful???

http://notes.utk.edu/bio/greenberg.nsf/0/14ca8490eff1120285256a42006a8e52?OpenDocument

Christian Posted: Fri May 14 12:54:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  or

...All subjects showed clear signs of relevant changes in brain activity after just one session, but after five sessions the activity patterns of the two groups differed significantly. The motor areas relating to the hands of those in the "map" group were activated when they were listening to music, whereas those of the subjects in the "no-map" group were not. ...
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20031013/music.html

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]