Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Former President Regan is dead
DanSRose Posted: Sat Jun 5 19:35:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wow. The president I was born under is dead. At 93, in California with his family, after suffering from Alzheimerís. I'd hate to go like that, with Alzheimerís, I mean.

He and his started the modern Conservative Revolution.

Aeon Posted: Sun Jun 6 21:52:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  People die. Go figure.

Aeon Posted: Sun Jun 6 21:52:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm a heartless bastard.

Kira Posted: Sun Jun 6 22:33:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Off-subject: Hi Aeon, you've been pretty scarce around here of late, how's it goin'? (Read: are you depressed or something?!)

libra Posted: Sun Jun 6 22:46:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aeon said:
>I'm a heartless bastard.

no you're not. i feel about the same way.

Aeon Posted: Sun Jun 6 23:04:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Not depressed. Just don't see the friggin point to the hubbub about him dying. He was a half rate actor who became president and didn't have the greatest policies. Star Wars? Trickle Down Economics? When I die am I going to get a state funeral? No.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 13:22:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  He was probably the greatest president of our time.

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 13:42:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm my history could be a bit rusty but didn't he help to decrease the amount of nukes of both the US and the ex-USSR.

If so, I'll give him credit for that.

On the other hand, it was his job and people die, that's the way it is.

I thought he was dead already anyway lol. 93 is a nice age to go.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 13:56:54 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Hmm my history could be a bit rusty but didn't he help to decrease the amount of nukes of both the US and the ex-USSR.
>
>
>If so, I'll give him credit for that.
>
>On the other hand, it was his job and people die, that's the way it is.
>
>
>I thought he was dead already anyway lol. 93 is a nice age to go.
>
It would have been if he hadn't been suffering from alzheimers for the last 10yrs or so.
It was because of Reagan that the Soviet Union collapsed.
He was far from perfect as president but he was very effective and ultimately won freedom for several million Europeans.

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:00:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>It was because of Reagan that the Soviet Union collapsed.

My guess is that he wasn't the only factor adding up to that hif lol.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:09:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>It was because of Reagan that the Soviet Union collapsed.
>
>My guess is that he wasn't the only factor adding up to that hif lol.
>
He was the major factor.
He guessed correctly the the Soviets would bankrupt themselves trying to match America's defense spending.
He also worked with Saudi Arabia to keep world oil prices low, so the Soviets couldn't capitalize on their oil industry.
There were other factors but Reagan's policies were pretty much responsible for their collapse.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:35:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah, he saved the world, Christophe. If it hadn't been for him Belgium probably wouldn't even still exist today

Hate to disrespect the man as a human during this time of memorial, hif, but I started gagging on all the accalades you were giving him.

greatness is in the eye of the beholder i guess

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:39:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Don't know enough about the subject to really get involved in it.

I'll leave it up to you to play the antagonist this time addi lol.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:51:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, maybe he was just a mediocre two term prez elected by the widest margin since god knows when...
Of course even mediocre would seem like a godsend after the abortion known as the Carter administration.

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 14:53:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Yeah, maybe he was just a mediocre two term prez elected by the widest margin since god knows when...

The fact that he was an actor had probably nothing to do with that either.

Arnold was elected for his superior management skills, I'm sure.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 15:07:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Yeah, maybe he was just a mediocre two term prez elected by the widest margin since god knows when...
>
>The fact that he was an actor had probably nothing to do with that either.
>
Not really, he never was what you would call a popular actor. His acting career was over with long before he entered politics. He was governor of California before he was president.

>Arnold was elected for his superior management skills, I'm sure.
>
Arnold was elected because he was in the right place at the right time.
I think Charles Manson had a chance against that idiot Gray Davis. What a loser !

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 15:48:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Of course even mediocre would seem like a godsend after the abortion known as the Carter administration.

the subject is reagan, not carter. diss him next time there's a thread on his accomplishments or lack of

>Yeah, maybe he was just a mediocre two term prez elected by the widest margin since god knows when...

I'm surprised your criteria for a good prez is based on margin of victory. you put an awful lot of stock in the same American voters that voted Clinton in twice.

antartica Posted: Mon Jun 7 15:54:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my 2 cents... as much as he may not have directly affected us all over the world... as a general world wide consensus, he's gotta be one of the world's best loved US presidents...

God bless his soul...

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:00:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I can diss Carter anytime I want.
And you can't stop me pfffdddttttttt !

And margin of victory does not normally mean that much unless it is an enormous landslide, the largestin modern history. Then it becomes an issue.

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:04:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What about the smallest?

;o)

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:09:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>What about the smallest?
>
>;o)
>
Not really an issue, that only serves to prove how polarized the country is at the time of the election.
Reagans landslide victory was a re-election mandate. And he took the office from a sitting president.
Yeah, fuckt them dems all to pieces he did !

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:11:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Yeah, fuckt them dems all to pieces he did !

How very southern of you hif.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:18:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>Yeah, fuckt them dems all to pieces he did !
>
>How very southern of you hif.
>
Southern ? as in grits and sweet tea ?

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:18:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
> as a general world wide consensus, he's gotta be one of the world's best loved US presidents...

If what you say is true then my faith the in the opinions of other world citizens has just taken a serious nosedive.

*i thought it was just americans that were using 25 watt light bulbs in sockets that were meant for 100 watt bulbs. Apparantly the practice is widespread

>God bless his soul...

Amen to that!

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:20:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>> as a general world wide consensus, he's gotta be one of the world's best loved US presidents...
>
> If what you say is true then my faith the in the opinions of other world citizens has just taken a serious nosedive.

Ant only talks for ant lol.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:27:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>antartica said:
>> as a general world wide consensus, he's gotta be one of the world's best loved US presidents...
>
> If what you say is true then my faith the in the opinions of other world citizens has just taken a serious nosedive.
>
>
>
>*i thought it was just americans that were using 25 watt light bulbs in sockets that were meant for 100 watt bulbs. Apparantly the practice is widespread
>
So you think most Americans are not too bright as well as most of the world ?
Kind of a grim outlook don't you think ?

FN Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:34:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  On a completely different and irrelevant note:

I'm outta here.

It's 22.30 now which means that in about 9 hours I have to start with my oral exam for international economy, which will be followed by a written exam of corporate management and marketing.

If you'll be awake in around 9 hours, think of me as I am fighting for my future lol.

The positive side is that it's a perfect occasion to wear a suit, which the ambitious capitalist in me happens to love lol. + girls/women seem to like it as well.

Oh well, wish me luck, c'ya

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 16:46:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

The fall of The Soviet Empire MAY have in fact been hastened by the Reagan Administrations military build up here (at a substantial $ cost). To equate the fall of communism to him is silliness though. The Soviet Empire would have callapsed on itself sooner or later, even if Richard Simmons had been the president for 8 years.

The social and economic experiment that was communism was showing terminal signs of decay long before The Gipp landed in office. Gorbachev's policies were not put into place because of Reagan. He was trying to save a dying system. The economic sores were festering to a point that he knew something had to be done, and he had the insight and balls not to follow traditional party lines. Give credit where credit is due.

No need to demonize him
No need to make him into a saint either.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 17:09:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>So you think most Americans are not too bright as well as most of the world ?

Nice trap, hif : )

As far as Americans go, yes, I think as a very generalized whole they fall short on the intelligence stick. Say what you will, but time after time their stupidity and ignorance has risen to the surface.

YI hope you know from past threads that I don't put myself high on Sauroman's Tower and scornfully look down on the rest of humanity.
Trust me, I know my ignorance.

Those whom I include in the above think they're smart, and are totally clueless about their real ignorance on so many matters in life (outside of politics as well), and that puts me slightly higher up the "less ignorant" scale. Still dumb, just less so than others.

As far as citizens of the world go, I'm not qualified to make any reasoned statement on their intelligence. They can speak for themselves on Mr. Reagan.

I have great faith in humanity. Itís people that worry me.
Addison

Mesh Posted: Mon Jun 7 17:36:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good luck on that shit chris.

and yes, the ladies enjoy men in suits.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Jun 7 19:49:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>So you think most Americans are not too bright as well as most of the world ?
>
>
>Nice trap, hif : )
>
>As far as Americans go, yes, I think as a very generalized whole they fall short on the intelligence stick. Say what you will, but time after time their stupidity and ignorance has risen to the surface.
>
>YI hope you know from past threads that I don't put myself high on Sauroman's Tower and scornfully look down on the rest of humanity.
>Trust me, I know my ignorance.
>
>Those whom I include in the above think they're smart, and are totally clueless about their real ignorance on so many matters in life (outside of politics as well), and that puts me slightly higher up the "less ignorant" scale. Still dumb, just less so than others.
>
>As far as citizens of the world go, I'm not qualified to make any reasoned statement on their intelligence. They can speak for themselves on Mr. Reagan.
>
>
>I have great faith in humanity. Itís people that worry me.
>Addison
>
poo poo
As long as there are rulers and citizens, there will be politics. And as long as there is politics, there will be relatively intelligent people that think other relatively intelligent people have their heads up their asses.
I am well aware that there are far more intelligent people than you and I that think Dubya is an idiot. The same holds true for the liberal side.
Mankind is pretty much the same as it has always been, only technology is different. In years to come there will be times of peace and war and famine and pestilence and prosperity, same as it always was and always will be.
Seems to me if you subtract politics from the equation, people are very similar wherever you go . . . with some exceptions.

Zacq Posted: Mon Jun 7 20:29:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ........conservatives suck.

Sorry, this thread was getting boringly non-argumentative.

addi Posted: Mon Jun 7 20:56:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>poo poo

wee wee

Well, I thought it was funny

Hif, I really see my inadequacies mentally. At work daily with computer stuff, listening to someone really brilliant speak on TV and realizing I'm not as intelligent, reading a talented writer and seeing that I'm not as gifted, etc...
But I've had almost half a century to watch, listen, and observe americans and I can come to no other conclusion than to believe that, along with the smart folk, there are a lot of really stupid people living here, driving here, and voting here. Nothing relativistic about it; They're not real sharp.

Mouse Posted: Mon Jun 7 21:36:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
They're not real sharp.
>
True enough, but then there are those of us that can make others think we know what we're talking about... most of the time anyways. I think most of my friends think I'm smarter and better informed than I am, and I don't enlighten them.
Much as addi, I know what I don't know, however I do know a lot, though much of that may be useless.
Mouse

Kira Posted: Mon Jun 7 22:17:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  People are smart. You can have all sorts of delicious brain power and still make lousy decisions and latch on to bad ideas. There are lots of other smart people out there doing their damnedest to confuse you.

Dammit.

Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 8 00:08:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  HERE:

From the scotsman news-

To his supporters he was the US president who aggressively stood up to the Soviet Union and who Žwon' the Cold War through his policy of outspending the USSR on defence.

He was the 'Great Communicator' who gave America back its self-respect through military toughness and an economy fuelled by tax cuts.

But to his critics he was the former B-movie actor who brought the world perilously close to nuclear war through his bombastic rhetoric, and who made the US a more divided society between haves and have-nots, as well as presiding over record budget deficits.

Beneath a cheery, folksy, unintellectual image, Reagan had strong political convictions, believing in minimal government, low taxes, and a tough foreign policy, backed by force if necessary.

Born on February 6, 1911, in Tampico, Illinois, he was the youngest of two sons of Nellie and John Reagan, a shoe salesman. Ronald Wilson Reagan spent his childhood days contending with his father's alcoholism and his family's strained finances. Amid problems at home, young Reagan found refuge in exploring the outdoors, ice skating and religion.

After graduating from Eureka College in Illinois with a degree in economics and sociology he got a job as a radio announcer and a sports broadcaster.

The acting profession was a logical next-step and he made his film debut in 1937, in the movie Love Is on the Air. Life imitated art and three years later, he wed actress Jane Wyman, a marriage which ended in divorce in 1949.

1940 also brought his best-known role when he played the famous American football player George Gipp, 'the Gipper', in Knute Rockne: All-American.

During his years as president, he used a line from the movie, "Win one for the Gipper," to rally Republican team-mates before debates.

He wanted to join the military during the Second World War, but his poor eyesight kept him from combat. Instead, with his movie-making experience, he was assigned to make military training films for pilots.

Hollywood also launched him into politics, as president of the Screen Actors Guild, where he helped purge the movie business of what he saw as Communist subversives. It was a trait he took all the way to the White House.

In 1952, he married Nancy Reagan, another actress, and in 1962, he switched political parties, forsaking the Democrats for the Republican Party.

He burst on to the US political scene in 1964, backing Republican presidential candidate Barry Goldwater with a 30-minute political advertisement condemning big government and calling for tax reform.

It helped him launch a 1966 bid for the governorship of California, which he won. He defeated the Democratic incumbent Edmund G 'Pat' Brown to become the governor of America's most populous state.

During the election, Brown derided Reagan as "just an actor", the first in a parade of opponents to underestimate Reagan's appeal. Reagan turned his lack of experience into an asset, running as a "citizen politician," a role he never gave up.

Over his two terms in office, Reagan cut spending on health, education and welfare - and kept an eye on the White House.

In 1976, Reagan challenged President Gerald Ford unsuccessfully in the Republican primaries.

But then his time came in 1980. He became the first actor to make it to the Oval Office by defeating the hapless Democrat Jimmy Carter in the presidential election. At 69, he was the oldest man ever to win office.

His policies were focused on restoring the United States to its "greatness". Americans' self-confidence had been shattered by the Vietnam War, the impression that Communism was expanding around the globe, the siege of the US embassy in Iran and the shocks to the economy from high oil prices in the 1970s.

'The Great Communicator' also transformed the public relations machine of the US presidency, giving us the slick, image-conscious style of White House presentation.

His Cold War strategy involved increasing US military spending as part of a plan to place the Soviet economy under strain. He also showed a toughness in dealing with perceived threats to US security. Worries over a possible Communist base being built in the Caribbean island of Grenada led to a US invasion of that country in 1983.

In tackling the "problem" of "big government" he declared at the outset of his presidency, "Government is not the solution, it's the problem," although reducing that government proved harder to do in reality than in his rhetoric.

Even so, he challenged the status quo on welfare and other programmes that had put government on a growth spurt

In March 1981, he was shot and wounded as he left a Washington hotel after a speech, the bullet lodged an inch from his heart after bouncing off his seventh rib, and puncturing and collapsing a lung.

Reagan charmed Americans with his good humour during what was a frightening ordeal. When the injured president was sped to hospital, he joked to his wife Nancy: "Honey, I forgot to duck." Astonishingly, he was back in the White House 12 days after the shooting.

Some aspects of Reagan's tough militaristic foreign policy proved costly. In 1983, 241 US troops were killed in a truck bombing at the US Marine compound in Beirut in Lebanon.

But for the majority of US voters he cultivated the image of a cheerful folksy crusader who believed in simple certainties and strong moral messages.

The message proved popular with the electorate. In 1984, he was re-elected in a landslide over former Vice President Walter Mondale.

In his second term, Reagan was dogged by revelations that he authorised secret arms sales to Iran while seeking Iranian aid to gain release of American hostages held in Lebanon. Some of the money was used to aid rebels fighting the leftist government of Nicaragua.

And there were the gaffes. He notoriously joked about bombing the Soviet Union while testing the microphone before a weekly radio address. He said: "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."

He was presumably deliberately joking when he said: "They say hard work never hurt anybody, but, I figure, why take the chance?"

And again when he quipped: "I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency - even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting."

President Reagan's critics spoke enviously of a "teflon" president whose mistakes never stuck to him. He managed to survive the soaring budget deficit and the scandals with his reputation intact.

And although he was attacked by his critics as being "dim and dumb", Reagan was actually a quick-witted individual and a leader, unafraid to take swift and tough decisions, a man who scorned detail but wielded the broad brush with masterly effect.

But the old showbusiness side of him never deserted Reagan, with his homespun, often sentimental quotes and genuinely genial nature. His goal, he said, was to make the United States "walk tall" abroad. Another time he said: "You ain't seen nothing yet." And the Americans loved him for it.

Although the anti-Communist crusade continued after his re-election, he was forced to temper much of his anti-Soviet rhetoric as the new Russian Premier Mikhail Gorbachev introduced his new reformist policies and began to signal that the leadership of the USSR would not attempt to use force to prop up Communist regimes in Eastern Europe.

Reagan cultivated his relationship with Gorbachev from 1985. The world's most unlikely double act began in Geneva in 1985, with a series of high-profile fireside chats.

After four meetings, the two were calling each other by their first names.

In 1987, Reagan and Gorbachev signed the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty to eliminate intermediate-range nuclear missiles from Europe.

But he occasionally re-emphasised the anti-Communist rhetoric, as if to remind Gorbachev that he needed to continue on the path to reform. In June 1987, in a speech outside the Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin, Reagan addressed the Soviet leader, memorably saying: "Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

As the Communist regimes fell, Reagan and his advisers considered themselves vindicated in their policies of standing up to Communism.

At the time of his retirement, his very name suggested a populist brand of conservative politics that still inspires the Republican Party.

He regarded his strong relationship with his wife Nancy as crucial to his personal and political success. She was by his side last night and delivered an impassioned plea for progress to be made in stem-cell research in order to fight Alzheimer's Disease. But the relationship also caused problems for Reagan when it emerged that she had been consulting an astrologer and seeking advice over policy.

She remained however the love of his life. After his illness was diagnosed he wrote: "Unfortunately, as Alzheimer's disease progresses, the family often bears a heavy burden. I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience."

mat_j Posted: Tue Jun 8 06:05:31 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aw jees, Reagan didn't do anything he was just a big automatic signing machine that signed toher peoples bits of paper

mat_j Posted: Tue Jun 8 06:07:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>He was probably the greatest president of our time.

If you gage greatness by who's got the most orange skin i suppose he is!

HAIL TO THE CHIEF

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 07:02:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>poo poo
>
>wee wee
>
ka ka
>
>Hif, I really see my inadequacies mentally. At work daily with computer stuff, listening to someone really brilliant speak on TV and realizing I'm not as intelligent, reading a talented writer and seeing that I'm not as gifted, etc...
>But I've had almost half a century to watch, listen, and observe americans and I can come to no other conclusion than to believe that, along with the smart folk, there are a lot of really stupid people living here, driving here, and voting here. Nothing relativistic about it; They're not real sharp.
>
Stupid people are everywhere and so are smart people. I know lots of folks that say a man with an MBA from Yale and BA from Harvard is stupid. Go figure. Guess it depends on who is doing the judging.
Then again you have smart people doing stupid things, does that make them stupid ? Or just temporarily stupid ?
I personally think the state finds all the stupid people in Kentucky and gives them a license to drive, and then tells them to make sure they are on the road the same time as me.

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 07:59:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Stupid people are everywhere and so are smart people.

I see everyone as stupid, with some being less stupid than others. I also see the really stupid outnumbering the less stupid people.

>Then again you have smart people doing stupid things, does that make them stupid ? Or just temporarily stupid ?

this brings up a good point, and adds a whole nuther dimension to the subject of smart and stupid. I'll use an extreme example to make my point.

I'm not sure I would include Hitler on my list of "really stupid" people, because he was an intelligent person. To pull off what he did took a lot of savy and smarts. But at the same time you can see that he made some extremely stupid choices (with horrible consequences for others)in his life.

So, for me, what you do with the intellect you have somehow factors in to an assessment of your intelligence (moral intelligence?, or common sense intelligence maybe?). Maybe you could say Hitler was a smart person that made some very stupid decisions in his life?

As you said, the biases of the "judger" of intellect play a huge role in this and make any assessment of intelligence somewhat subjective.
I believe Clinton was a very intelligent President, who happened to suffer from lapses of poor judgement when it came to some personal decisions in life. Some would therefore assess him as being a stupid president. I wouldn't, because my determination of a good or poor president is forged from that presidents foreign and domestic policies and actions during his administration, and not so much his sexual choices.

I know it took a certain amount of intelligence for Bush to graduate from Yale and run successfully for the office of president. He isn't a moron, like I would say Cletus the Slackjawed Yokel, is a moron. But I place Bush in my "really stupid" category because of his actions and policies as president (the weekly additions of Bushism quotes doesn't help him). We could both look at the same set of facts and come to two totally different conclusions as to the correct course of action to take based on those facts. He would, no doubt, think I was stupid for my conclusions.
And I look at the results and consequences of his actions so far as president and come to my personal conclusions as to his lack of intelligence.

This went way longer than I had planned
sorry : )

pee pee

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 08:27:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.dontread.com/content.php?id=50

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 08:34:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Geezuz, that gets on your nerves after a few minutes!

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 08:35:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  by the way how did the exam go?

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 09:01:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>by the way how did the exam go?

Pretty good, thx.

The oral exam was extremely good, the other one wasn't too bad either.

Tomorrow I have a written exam for German. Disaster waiting to happen lol.

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 09:22:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Tomorrow I have a written exam for German. Disaster waiting to happen lol.

Auch Du Lieber! Mein Gott!
Du bist mein schotze, babe!

good luck on that one. don't ask me for help lol

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 09:59:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lol.

It sucks, really. I had 59% last trimester, it's my worst class.

On top of that it's a whole fucking lot to study. I don't mind reading it or hearing it, I can get the point, but when I have to write it the trouble starts :o)

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 10:20:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Im at "Kapitel 7"

Got to get to 12.

Good thing I won't have to do this anymore next year.

Zacq Posted: Tue Jun 8 10:53:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Really? Bush graduated from Yale? Quite the achievment. One problem - he passed with C's and D's. And back then (maybe now still, I don't know) they had something called 'Gentleman's Cs' which were given to rich people that failed courses at Yale, as an F would make them look bad.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 11:57:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:
>Really? Bush graduated from Yale? Quite the achievment. One problem - he passed with C's and D's. And back then (maybe now still, I don't know) they had something called 'Gentleman's Cs' which were given to rich people that failed courses at Yale, as an F would make them look bad.
>
Check your info

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 12:18:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Check your info

http://fuller.mit.edu/peace/affirmative_action.html

(copy and paste)
the guy obviously has an axe to grind with affirmative action, but mixed in with the venom are some indisputable facts on Bush's school daze.

Personally, i don't think you have to be a Rhodes Scholar to be an effective pres., but there isn't a good arguement out there to defend bush academically.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 12:28:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Check your info
>
>http://fuller.mit.edu/peace/affirmative_action.html
>
>(copy and paste)
>the guy obviously has an axe to grind with affirmative action, but mixed in with the venom are some indisputable facts on Bush's school daze.
>
>Personally, i don't think you have to be a Rhodes Scholar to be an effective pres., but there isn't a good arguement out there to defend bush academically.
>
His 1206 SAT score, while not the norm for admittance to Yale, is above the national average.
Nothing wrong with a C average from Yale, that's for sure.
He did complete his MBA at Harvard as well.
No, he's not a rocket scientist, but he is also not a dimwit, and probably better educated than most of us.
Try comparing his academic record to that of Al Gore.

Christian Posted: Tue Jun 8 12:53:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  why are they all filing past the coffin?

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 13:11:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Try comparing his academic record to that of Al Gore.

okay...

* Prior to his attending Harvard, Gore graduated from St. Albans ranked 25th in a class of 51, and scored 1355 on his SAT test, well above average.

* Gore graduated from Harvard with honors (''cum laude'').His sophomore year was his worst year, academically, and was not representative of his college career.

* On IQ tests taken in 1961 and 1964, Gore scored 133 and 134 respectively, which placed him above the 90th percentile in the general population.

Gore also authored a book (Earth in the Balance).
Bush has trouble reading one out loud.

libra Posted: Tue Jun 8 13:25:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>>
>His 1206 SAT score, while not the norm for admittance to Yale, is above the national average.

I beat Bush on the SATs! hehe. Actually, I'm not all that surprised, just disappointed... I think i'll run for president.

Christian Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:06:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and they don't touch it or anything...what are they expectin to see?

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:13:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>
>>Try comparing his academic record to that of Al Gore.
>
>
>okay...
>
>* Prior to his attending Harvard, Gore graduated from St. Albans ranked 25th in a class of 51, and scored 1355 on his SAT test, well above average.
>
>* Gore graduated from Harvard with honors (''cum laude'').His sophomore year was his worst year, academically, and was not representative of his college career.
>
>* On IQ tests taken in 1961 and 1964, Gore scored 133 and 134 respectively, which placed him above the 90th percentile in the general population.
>
He also failed five of the eight classes he took at Vanderbilt Divinity school and never completed his law degree at Vanderbilt Law school.
Bush did complete his MBA at Harvard, something Mr. Gore didn't do either.

>Gore also authored a book (Earth in the Balance).
>Bush has trouble reading one out loud.

And he invented the internet too !

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:14:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christian said:
>and they don't touch it or anything...what are they expectin to see?
>
Just paying their respects, that's all.

Zacq Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:18:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Zacq said:
>>Really? Bush graduated from Yale? Quite the achievment. One problem - he passed with C's and D's. And back then (maybe now still, I don't know) they had something called 'Gentleman's Cs' which were given to rich people that failed courses at Yale, as an F would make them look bad.
>>
>Check your info

My info, which you confirm about a post or two later, is directly from admissions people that work for Yale.

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:19:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>* On IQ tests taken in 1961 and 1964, Gore scored 133 and 134 respectively, which placed him above the 90th percentile in the general population.

Last IQ test I took I got 131. Was an english one though. Trying to remember the site.

Lots of different tests out there though, I usually average between 120 and 130.

We had a national IQ test in 2001, everybody got the questions on TV and you had to answer them online. Result there was 124.

I wonder when they'll do that again, and if I have improved since 3 years ago lol.

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:20:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>And he invented the internet too !

How many truckloads of equally if not more dumb quotes from bush do you want.

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:21:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I beat Bush on the SATs! hehe. Actually, I'm not all that surprised, just disappointed... I think i'll run for president.

Please do.

We can rule the world together.

Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:52:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>And he invented the internet too !
>
>
>How many truckloads of equally if not more dumb quotes from bush do you want.

16.7 truckloads please.

Zacq Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:55:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>And he invented the internet too !

In context, the term 'invented' was referring to the fact that Gore funded much of the making of the modern internet.

It's like the 'Gore was the inspiration for Love Story' thing. All he did was say it in a conversation with friends, and was quoting a reporter who did in fact say that. It's not his fault the reporter wasn't correct, and there's no particular reason he should have to verify everything he says with friends.

Zacq Posted: Tue Jun 8 14:57:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Christophe said:
>>ifihadahif said:
>>>And he invented the internet too !
>>
>>
>>How many truckloads of equally if not more dumb quotes from bush do you want.
>
>16.7 truckloads please.

Here's one of the best ever - "Make the pie higher."

libra Posted: Tue Jun 8 15:29:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>
>
>Please do.
>
>We can rule the world together.

ooo, fun.

Just because:

Presidential (Mis)speak Calendar: The Very Curious Language of George W. Bush

Monday June 7th...

"One of the things we did before comin' over is we had a round-table discussion sitting around a square table."

Wednesday June 2nd...

"In my attitude, it doesn't matter how high the hurdle is, we'll cross it."

Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 8 16:29:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  God damn you motherfuckers!!!! How dare you make fun of my personal hero and saviour Bush like that!!!!

Just kidding, its hilarious. Please, do it somemore.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 16:36:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yes, I agree, it is hilarious.
But if you take it seriously, then the joke is on you, because the man is not that stupid, and since the "Bushisms" book, he does a lot of that stuff on purpose, like mispronouncing nuclear (nucular?), he does that on purpose.

some time ago, I started thread dedicated to Yogi-isms. It was hilarious.
Anybody ever refer to Yogi Berra as stupid ?

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 16:45:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Yes, I agree, it is hilarious.
>But if you take it seriously, then the joke is on you, because the man is not that stupid, and since the "Bushisms" book, he does a lot of that stuff on purpose, like mispronouncing nuclear (nucular?), he does that on purpose.
>

Yeah, I bet it was all intentional. It's his plan to get votes by acting stupid. How clever of him.

>some time ago, I started thread dedicated to Yogi-isms. It was hilarious.
>Anybody ever refer to Yogi Berra as stupid ?

Yogi is a fucking cartoonanimal hif.

Is Yogi your president?

FN Posted: Tue Jun 8 17:02:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Will be flunking my German exam in about 9-10 hours.

C'ya ppl

Zacq Posted: Tue Jun 8 17:49:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Yogi is a fucking cartoonanimal hif.
>
>Is Yogi your president?

That might be sarcasm, but it really sounds like you thought hif was talking about Yogi Bear.

Just in case, he's talking about a baseball player.

Speaking of which:

"No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded."
"The future ain't what it used to be."
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

addi Posted: Tue Jun 8 17:56:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:

>That might be sarcasm, but it really sounds like you thought hif was talking about Yogi Bear.

Yogi the Bear and Yogi Berra were actually one and the same

>Speaking of which:

Hey, BooBoo, You go shag some fly balls whilst I go shag the Ranger's wife...and don't touch the pick-en-ik basket!

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 8 21:31:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.umpirebob.com/DATA/yogiisms.htm

Mesh Posted: Wed Jun 9 02:55:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I saw his daughter naked.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jun 11 09:44:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.muchosucko.com/video-dubyaisadumbass.html

sometimes a nice bushism is best enjoyed on video.

Mesh Posted: Fri Jun 11 10:45:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  now i know there has got to be some videos out there poking fun of kerry too.

I would like to see them, cause kerry is just as silly and easy to laugh at. But I dont know where to find any.

Hif, am I wrong to assume you might be able to point me in the right direction?

Mesh Posted: Fri Jun 11 23:41:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  who all watched the ceremony?

I watched some of it. Kinda sad. Felt bad for Nancy Reagan.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]