Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To
 

Therapy
DanSRose Posted: Tue Jun 22 02:09:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  As I've stated last week or so, I just began therapy for "moderate to severe depression" (I just like that quote). I scored pretty high on the Beck's scale and was wondering if anyone else is has been in therapy for ... whatever.


 
libra Posted: Tue Jun 22 02:18:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my family went to family counseling once. It didn't go over so well. The counselor treated my brother (then about 12 years old, and smart and mature for his age) like he was five. We never went back all together, but my brother and parents went a few times.


 
Mesh Posted: Tue Jun 22 02:23:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I went in the past. For violent anger issues.





 
addi Posted: Tue Jun 22 07:45:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i've been in therapy sessions before Dan. It was for "mild Depression", and the therapy never ended up lasting more than a month at the longest. Each time I found I wasn't all that much dumber than the Psych. trying to diagnose me, plus they wanted $75 an hour to mostly sit and listen to me. Hell my dog does that and all he wants is a pat on the head afterward.
I don't mean to belittle it though. I know if you find a good therapist it can make a significant difference in the quality of your life.
I find the triggers to depression for me are having someone i'm emotionally attached to leave, or a feeling of hopelessness about my career, or right after a republican is elected president.

Good luck with yours. I hope whatever you're experiencing is only temporary.


 
FN Posted: Tue Jun 22 08:21:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Never been in therapy.

Not the therapy kind of guy I guess.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about it I just don't see myself accepting "advise" or whatever from a guy who's just waiting for the end of the hour so the next problemcase comes along.

And it seems all in all a pretty paternalising situation, and I wouldn't handle that too well either.


 
ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 22 08:27:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  No, but I have considered being a therapist.




 
addi Posted: Tue Jun 22 09:18:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>No, but I have considered being a therapist.

"Loosen your thong. Listen to the O'Rielly Factor on Fox nightly, and take two hits before going to bed."

God help us all


 
ifihadahif Posted: Tue Jun 22 10:11:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>No, but I have considered being a therapist.
>
>"Loosen your thong. Listen to the O'Rielly Factor on Fox nightly, and take two hits before going to bed."
>
>God help us all
>
Hey !
Loosen your own damn thong, I like to keep mine cinched up real tight !


 
DanSRose Posted: Tue Jun 22 13:01:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Don't get me wrong, there's nothing bad about it I just don't see myself accepting "advise" or whatever from a guy who's just waiting for the end of the hour so the next problemcase comes along.
>
>And it seems all in all a pretty paternalising situation, and I wouldn't handle that too well either.

That's completely opposite of my experience so far and most of the people I've talked to. They do wait "for the end of the hour so the next problem case comes along" but they are health care professionals. That's what they do, like any doctor; they fix what's broken.
And has not been patronizing. It's been good. Better than before anyway.


 
FN Posted: Tue Jun 22 13:17:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey, if it works for you it's all fine by me.


 
FN Posted: Tue Jun 22 13:22:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And damn libra has girl-next-door written all over her.

I was having a hard time concentrating on my studies already damned!


 
Paulo Posted: Tue Jun 22 18:04:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I was in therapy for 2 years when i was 9. I was afraid of the weather (yes... the weather!) loud wind, heavy rain, thunder, lightening etc.

It all started when my parents moved me to another room when i was 5 because my twin sisters needed the bigger room. My room being at the back of the house and being the last thing before the wall of a valley my room got most of the bad weather flung at its poorley constructed extension type windows.

Then one day, completely un-related to the therapy I snap out of it. The exact moment was during a school sports trial in the local park. We were in the Rugby stand, it pissed down with rain and I didn't really notice, I was in the middle of some game.

Later the teachers, who knew all about the phobia were commenting on how I didn't seem to notice the heavy down pour and thunder storm, I didn't, and thus a phobia was gone!




 
addi Posted: Tue Jun 22 18:15:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Paulo said:

>It all started when my parents moved me to another room when i was 5...

I think we have an excellent screenplay here for mat_j's and chanzs first film project together
Hmmmm...title...

"Pissing in the Rain"

no

"Look Ma! No Phobia!"

nope


 
Mouse Posted: Tue Jun 22 19:06:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *is mildly confused and then notices Ludwig in addi's avatar* Hahaha! Almost got me, man.
Good luck and take care, Dan. I'll be thinking of you.
I've never been to to a therapist. When I was depressed my parents didn't know about it and when they found out my mom was upset that I hadn't told her, she took me to a naturopath. She sat with us and we talked and cried, she gave me some homeopathic medicine and I just kind of got better. As sad as I have ever been since, it has always been with reason, that was the only time I was miserable for no reason.


 
Mouse Posted: Tue Jun 22 19:07:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Before I forget to ask again, what is your avatar, Dan?


 
Kira Posted: Tue Jun 22 19:14:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I came close when I was fourteen, but never got there. I asked my mom to look into it for me, and she agreed but asked me to think about it some more. Eventually I decided against it.

I did take an over-the-counter antidepressant for a while, but threw it out the window as soon I started feeling its effects. Six months later I was all happiness and sunshine.


 
addi Posted: Wed Jun 23 07:39:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>*is mildly confused and then notices Ludwig in addi's avatar* Hahaha! Almost got me, man.

LOL
I've been going through life mildly confused mouse. It's when you begin to feel like you have everything figured out that you need to start worrying.

*Ludwig is dreaming that Libra is whispering sweet nothings in his ear as he drifts off to sleep : )


 
Paulo Posted: Wed Jun 23 08:26:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>
>I think we have an excellent screenplay here for mat_j's and chanzs first film project together
>Hmmmm...title...
>
>"Pissing in the Rain"
>
>no
>
>"Look Ma! No Phobia!"
>
>nope


From experience of writing scripts with Mat I hope Chanz likes snacks because thats what Mat does best!


 
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Jun 23 10:18:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mmm kissing sweet-p would be nice, very nice indeed !


 
addi Posted: Wed Jun 23 11:17:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>mmm kissing sweet-p would be nice, very nice indeed !

Addi: Wake up..WAKE UP, HIF!!
(slaps him)
You were dreaming, bud.

Hif:(sings)
Hangin' round, downtown by myself and I had
So much time to sit and think about myself
And there she was, like double cherry pie
Yeah there she was, like disco superfly

I smell sex and candy here, um-hmmm
Who's that lounging in my chair, um-hmmm?
Who's that casting devious stares in my direction?
Mama this surely is a dream. Yeah. Yeah Sweet P this
Surely is a dream. Damnit.



*(Marcy Playground, Sex and Candy)



 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 12:53:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've never been to therapy although once I was so depressed I... What was that term again?

Dissociated... Yeah, I think that was it... Dissociated... Nice ring to it too... Say it with me people... Dissociated.

It all happened when I was walking down the street and I hit a "no walk" sign because of traffic and started daydreaming how it would be nice to fly over the cars and I almost walked into traffic...

I snapped out of it in time though...

But I had a crying jag that lasted 6 hours afterwards that led me to the emergency room...

A psychiatrist saw me, then prescribed some antidepressant, something else schizophrenics take and I cant remember what the other thing was... Oh yeah... Sleeping pills... I never took the schizo medicine, I threw the sleeping pills out the window after 3 days and only took the anti-depressants. I felt a lot better after it, so I ditched going to the shrink... I'd gone before, not for depression, but for other issues, and I hated their attitude, plus they werent telling me anything I didnt know already, AND, I could run in circles around them (intelligence wise) and I could fool them into thinking everything was happy-happy joy-joy so I ditched them (my parents forced me to go to sessions for 6 months altogether)


 
FN Posted: Wed Jun 23 13:40:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>It all happened when I was walking down the street and I hit a "no walk" sign because of traffic and started daydreaming how it would be nice to fly over the cars and I almost walked into traffic...

Ask the levitation guy


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 13:46:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  huh?

seriously christophe, make more sense



 
FN Posted: Wed Jun 23 13:47:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>seriously christophe, make more sense

He'll teach you how to fly


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 13:50:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Tsk... Not funny...

May I remind you that had I actually walked into traffic you wouldnt have the arguments with me that you cherish so much? Hehehehe


 
FN Posted: Wed Jun 23 13:55:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lol.

Talking about your opinions I'm not too surprised you'd try walking straight into traffic thinking you'd fly over it.


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 14:02:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, that's nice of you to say

Especially when you're making fun of the fact that I was so damn depressed then that I could actually dissociate from reality enough to think -I- might be able to do that.

It's nice that you can laugh at other's dispair

I just hope you don't ever feel like I did at that time, I don't wish it upon even the likes of you.


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 14:02:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  typo... despair


 
FN Posted: Wed Jun 23 14:14:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>Especially when you're making fun of the fact that I was so damn depressed then that I could actually dissociate from reality enough to think -I- might be able to do that.

Nice sense of humour.

>It's nice that you can laugh at other's dispair

I can, actually, although this wasn't intended to hurt or anything.

>I just hope you don't ever feel like I did at that time, I don't wish it upon even the likes of you.

I doubt I'll ever walk straight into traffic thinking I'll fly over it.



Perhaps you saw the matrix once too often?


 
Christian Posted: Wed Jun 23 14:27:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  geesh so I AM the ONLY therapist in the house, huh? lol

mild depression is super common but I think, needs no pills...I'm in THAT camp yes...too many unnecessary prescriptions

:-)


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 14:28:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Perhaps you saw the matrix once too often?

You really -are- an ass, cristophe...


 
libra Posted: Wed Jun 23 15:55:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>Christophe said:
>>Perhaps you saw the matrix once too often?
>
>You really -are- an ass, cristophe...

he's still young, you have to be patient...

p.s. Christophe: are you still not talking to me?


 
Mouse Posted: Wed Jun 23 16:20:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>p.s. Christophe: are you still not talking to me?
Don't ask him that, he'll remember he's not talking to you and stop talking to you! Or was he talking to you? *wanders off in a confused daze*


 
Mesh Posted: Wed Jun 23 17:11:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think someon needs to give a certain cockroach recipe a try for dinner.


 
erikagm Posted: Wed Jun 23 17:18:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Chris is NOT talking to libra???

*Walks off in a confused chris-ALWAYS-talks-to-the-cute-girls daze*


 
choke Posted: Wed Jun 23 22:04:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christian said:
>geesh so I AM the ONLY therapist in the house, huh? lol
>
you're a therapist? or did you mean something else.. i want to study human behaviour as a career but i don't want to be a therapist or whatever cause i wouldnt want to be responsible for trying to help anyone because theyd be mad if i couldnt. Is there any jobs like that??


 
Mouse Posted: Wed Jun 23 22:31:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>Chris is NOT talking to libra???
>
>*Walks off in a confused chris-ALWAYS-talks-to-the-cute-girls daze*
Guess you missed the back story on that, Erika. Chris is mad cause Libra is dating canada-boy as he is known 'round here. What is his name, Libra?


 
DanSRose Posted: Thu Jun 24 01:18:40 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well I got the medication today. An SSRI called Lexapro for the depression and something to help me sleep, called trazodone.


 
Mesh Posted: Thu Jun 24 01:29:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Me not want to know canadaboys name. He is best left as canadaboy, or douchebag. Whichever.


 
libra Posted: Thu Jun 24 01:39:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>erikagm said:
>>Chris is NOT talking to libra???
>>
>>*Walks off in a confused chris-ALWAYS-talks-to-the-cute-girls daze*
>Guess you missed the back story on that, Erika. Chris is mad cause Libra is dating canada-boy as he is known 'round here. What is his name, Libra?

At least one of you knows his real name. Two, I think. But I think i'll leave it a mystery at the moment. I kind of like it that way...:P


 
FN Posted: Thu Jun 24 05:40:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>Christophe said:
>>Perhaps you saw the matrix once too often?
>
>You really -are- an ass, cristophe...

Relax, I'm kidding.




And I am still dissapointed with libra!

*sobs*


 
addi Posted: Thu Jun 24 07:26:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Me not want to know canadaboys name. He is best left as canadaboy, or douchebag. Whichever.

How 'bout Dudley Do-Right?
and have you noticed that ever since she claimed him as her boyfriend she's been posting on the forum less? Hmmmmm?

I bet when Libra falls asleep on the hammock he sneaks up to her and whispers in her ear, "Stay awaaaaaaay from GT. You do not like them anymore. They are allllllll republicans...."


 
libra Posted: Thu Jun 24 10:41:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:

>How 'bout Dudley Do-Right?
>and have you noticed that ever since she claimed him as her boyfriend she's been posting on the forum less? Hmmmmm?
>
>I bet when Libra falls asleep on the hammock he sneaks up to her and whispers in her ear, "Stay awaaaaaaay from GT. You do not like them anymore. They are allllllll republicans...."

hahaha
it might be true that I spend less time on GT because of him. Not much less, for some reason i've been in a sort of read-everything-but-hardly-post kind of mood. I'll swing back into full postingwhore mode eventually.
I haven't told him about GT. And I don't think i'm going to in the near future. It's my little spot, and I like it that way.


 
addi Posted: Thu Jun 24 11:11:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

> I'll swing back into full postingwhore mode eventually.


just messing with ya. Always post because you want to post, not to meet some artificial daily quota.

Just letting you know we miss you when you're not here as much is all

: )



 
libra Posted: Thu Jun 24 11:25:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>
>just messing with ya. Always post because you want to post, not to meet some artificial daily quota.
>
>Just letting you know we miss you when you're not here as much is all
>: )

I miss you guys too...when i have too much schoolwork to do and things...this place makes it so i can stay a bit more sane in the real world. I'm only taking one class over the summer(Italian) so although there's more work for that class cause the semester's shorter, its still easier. I don't know what i'm going to do when i go to florence next spring and don't have internet all the time...I'm going to be very scarce! but lets not think about that now.




 
FN Posted: Thu Jun 24 14:15:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Florence rules.

Be sure to visit Sienna as well.

When you go to the Piazza Del Campo in Sienna, go stand at the far end, on top of the concrete structure with the metal grid in it, where the water flows into (you'll know what I mean when you get there) and hold the metal bars on top of it.

I did the same, so I'm sure you'll feel my energy through there ;o)





 
libra Posted: Thu Jun 24 16:38:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>
>I did the same, so I'm sure you'll feel my energy through there ;o)
>
>
haha...christophe's energy. Well, i'll try if i can.

And to all you European GT'ers...I'm going on a trip afterwards with a friend, and so if anyone wants to meet up for a coffee or something, let me know...it might be scary, but fun.

It looks like we'll be in(at various times)
Florence, Rome, Milan, Barcelona, Bordeaux, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Hannover, and Innsbrook...and perhaps other little places along the way


 
FN Posted: Thu Jun 24 16:54:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Let me know if you pass through Belgium.

Bring a lot of girlfriends, always wanted to test an american girl.



Test her intelligence that is, ofcourse.


 
libra Posted: Thu Jun 24 17:01:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Let me know if you pass through Belgium.

we might, i'm not sure. but i'll definitely let you know.
>
>Bring a lot of girlfriends, always wanted to test an american girl.
>
haha, just one girlfriend...and she's really not your type.
>
>
>Test her intelligence that is, ofcourse.


 
Puck Posted: Sat Jun 26 03:53:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christian said:
>geesh so I AM the ONLY therapist in the house, huh?
I think of myself as an amateur therapist.

choke said:
>i want to study human behaviour as a career but i don't want to be a therapist or whatever cause i wouldnt want to be responsible for trying to help anyone because theyd be mad if i couldnt. Is there any jobs like that??
Is there a job where you don't have to be responsible or reliable? The IRS.

addison said:
>I find the triggers to depression for me are having...a feeling of hopelessness about my career,

That's it: hopelessness. Thanx.
I often think that therapy might help me, but it's just having someone there to listen. I don't expect a therapist to tell me anything that I don't already know.
Now, I barely have the will to post. It's 3 a.m. here, and I actually considered going to sleep.
I must go to find someone to hug.



 
misszero Posted: Sat Jun 26 04:38:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm, the word you're looking for is disASSociated. as in a 'disassociative' disorder. however, your symptoms don't entirely line up with that.


 
addi Posted: Sat Jun 26 10:55:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:

>I must go to find someone to hug.


Splendid idea, Puck!

I like the way your synopsis fire.


*just as long as the person you hug isn't stinky or too hairy


 
Mouse Posted: Sat Jun 26 14:30:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Puck said:
>That's it: hopelessness. Thanx.
>I often think that therapy might help me, but it's just having someone there to listen. I don't expect a therapist to tell me anything that I don't already know.
>Now, I barely have the will to post. It's 3 a.m. here, and I actually considered going to sleep.
>I must go to find someone to hug.
>
As the self-appointed hugger I feel terribly that I can't be there to give you one. :( But I can give you the next best thing. *sends a mental hug to Puck*

When ever I find myself sinking into depression I remind myself of something and snap out of it. The funny thing is I don't know what, I just remember and refuse to feel that way. I'm very greatful for what ever it is in me that forces me to change my mood.
The only thing I find hard to shake off is the troubles of my friends, it's painful to not be able to help change how they feel.
Mouse


 
Puck Posted: Sun Jun 27 01:37:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>*just as long as the person you hug isn't stinky or too hairy
This'll be tougher than I thought.

Mouse said:
>As the self-appointed hugger I feel terribly that I can't be there to give you one. :( But I can give you the next best thing. *sends a mental hug to Puck*
I didn't expect that at all. :)
*Mental hug gladly recieved* I would still like a real one, though.



 



[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]