Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

On books and Reading...
kurohyou Posted: Fri Jul 2 11:08:19 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  A two part question here...

How many books to you average reading a year?

and

What are you currently reading?

Just curious

kurohyou Posted: Fri Jul 2 11:09:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sorry, meant to put this under books and authors, but hit post before changing the pull down menu, my fault.

DaveHill Posted: Fri Jul 2 12:43:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At the moment I'm reading nothing but my studybooks, last book i read was "The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Better than the film i'd say.
If i could read all the books i wanted to read i'd probably hit about 50 a year i think, now it's somewhere between 5 and 20.

libra Posted: Fri Jul 2 13:02:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I liked The Virgin Suicides.

Right now I'm reading Lamb (The Gospel as told by Jesus's best friend Biff) its hilarious. Its about the first thirty years of jesus' life. His and his friend Biff's adventures. It's all a parody, and it's great.

Per year...i probably average about thirty to forty, it used to be much higher. I used to keep track of the books i read, i have a notebook i write them down in, I try to still do it but sometimes i forget. I read 129 books in 2001. But some of them were rereads, and some weren't very challenging at all...

Mark Posted: Fri Jul 2 13:27:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  reading about 25-35 books a year. Mostly philosophy (most what was written by Nietzsche atm), psychology, mythology, theologie...stuff like that.

atm I'm reading No Logo. Been reading little pieces at the time, since I can't really find the time to read a lot.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Jul 2 13:28:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Right now I'm re-reading Radical Son by David Horowitz.
Last book finished was Who's Looking out for You by Bill Oreilly.

Zacq Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:04:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm reading way too many books at once.

Mao and the Chinese Political Culture
Slander, by Ann Coulter
Bushwhacked, by Molly Ivins (which I read between Slander so that I don't gouge out my eyes).
The Icarus Agenda, by Robert Ludlum

Zacq Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:05:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>Last book finished was Who's Looking out for You by Bill Oreilly.

As I type I'm rewatching the classic 2003 Book Expo with Ivins, Franken, and O'Reilly.

"I don't label people."
(minutes later) "He's a propagandist!"

Kira Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:11:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Last year I read fewer than ten books. :(

Mouse Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:12:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Man, my yearly book count has taken quite a dip lately. I don't know if I even read ten books last year... sheesh.
I just finished A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle and I'll be starting Ender's Game soon... hopefully...
I started reading Gaiman's Doll House (I think that's what it's called, the second one) and I got hooked on it and then had to leave it there in the book store all by itself. *sniff*

Mouse Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:14:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sailovzi said:
>Last year I read fewer than ten books. :(

*Blinks* We scare me sometimes...

*runs away from Sailovzi*

DanSRose Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:32:02 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I just finished The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah yesterday, Wicked last week, and I reread Coyote Blue also by the guy who wrote Lamb. Just as funny as Lamb, but with the god Coyote and his 'antics', if you can call it that ;).

Asswipe Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:47:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  counting all the school books i've read... i prolly put down 40+ books just for that, maybe another 2 dozen or so on my own. reading a moveable feast by hemmingway at the moment. it's pretty biographical, all about his experiences as a learning, young writer living in france... real sweet compared to the old man and the sea(only other hemmingway novel i ever read). dozens of short stories and poems as well.

libra Posted: Fri Jul 2 15:47:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I just finished The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah yesterday, Wicked last week, and I reread Coyote Blue also by the guy who wrote Lamb. Just as funny as Lamb, but with the god Coyote and his 'antics', if you can call it that ;).

Wicked by Gregory Maguire?

did you like it? I really like that book.

zander83 Posted: Fri Jul 2 16:00:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i read maybe 45 books a year... and right now i am reading(re reading) war and peace

erikagm Posted: Fri Jul 2 21:53:37 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Around maybe 80 books a year between lent and owned and bought...

Right now I am reading Messages from the Masters, by Brian Weiss

A book I would recommend to Cristophe... hehehe

choke Posted: Fri Jul 2 22:43:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  im horrible, i work in a library and i dont read, mainly because i cant find anything that i want to read. I think the last book i read was Sybil, and that was half a year ago..

Dancer Posted: Fri Jul 2 23:30:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  on average i dunno how many books i'd cover a year, it really depends on my reading mood..

concurrently i'm reading

1421 - the year china discovered america

The curious incident of the dog in the night-time - mark haddon

the footprints of god - greg iles

Dancer Posted: Fri Jul 2 23:32:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>im horrible, i work in a library and i dont read, mainly because i cant find anything that i want to read. I think the last book i read was Sybil, and that was half a year ago..

i'd love to work in a library man!

choke Posted: Fri Jul 2 23:36:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dancer said:
>
>i'd love to work in a library man!

Argh dont say that!!!! Its BORING if i wanted to read i wouldnt have any time to because im their little bumboy i do all the shit jobs noone else wants to do :P

samuel Posted: Sat Jul 3 07:07:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i deffinatly dont read enough books..

i'd say 90% of my reading time is poems and lyrics

anyone care to suggest a mind blowing book of short stories?

i'd be most appretiative

samuel Posted: Sat Jul 3 07:08:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra's eyes are intoxicating.

antartica Posted: Sat Jul 3 07:09:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  samuel said:
>anyone care to suggest a mind blowing book of short stories?

The Devil's Larder

cannot recall who's it by. if you reali wanna know i'll let you know tomoro

antartica Posted: Sat Jul 3 07:14:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>The Devil's Larder

In The Devil's Larder, Jim Crace has put together an odd and artful little volume that encompasses more of the human experience than it really ought to, given its size and scope. Crace presents us with 64 short fictions about food, which add up to a picture of life that is at once diabolical and innocent, creepily sexualized and free of judgment........

Paulo Posted: Sat Jul 3 10:37:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Last year I read 4 books.

My Autobiography - Charlie Chaplin

Stupid White Men & Downsize This - Michael Moore

and The Best of Grouch Marx by some guy.

This year i'm 3 chapters into the 1st book of the year, Dude, Where's My Country?

I'd like to pretend i like reading and read hundreds of books but i don't. My attention span does not last long enough, I generally stick to comedy books like The Onion and fact based stuff.

Jasdev Posted: Sat Jul 3 15:12:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Im looking at this huge Atlas book. I dont know- the ones with huges maps of each country and all.Would it be called reading? Maybe just looking.

Finished Heart Of Darkness last night.

This year so far have read a few Star Trek books and
-Mad mad world, John Simpson
-Book of Sea Journeys- Ludovic Kennedy
-Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Twain
-The Prince, Machiavelli
-Red Badge Of Courage
-Battle for Sugar Loaf Hill on Okinawa

And assortments of my ex'es Christian lit(I was bored). Borrowed a few war diaries, Force 136 and another one from world war 1. Typically, about 10-20 books a year. But we all grow up and become busy, so at most 10 thesedays.

marsteller Posted: Sat Jul 3 21:54:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i don't have time for reading. work, sleep, see the gf, sometimes get to party. repeat.

mat_j Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:12:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

>anyone care to suggest a mind blowing book of short stories?
>
>i'd be most appretiative

Try after the Quake by Haruki Murakami, ask Antartica if he still has that link with some of the stories from the book on line.

mat_j Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:16:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I tried making a list of books i read a few years ago but kept losing it, at the time i was averaging about 14/15 books a year, i don't know what it has been this year probably about 6 books so far.

I've just finished the Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon

and am reading Positivly Fourth Street by some guy called Hajdu i think, it's about Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Richard and mimi Farina, damn good book

Yesterday and today in the bath i have managed to read a significant chunk of Norweigan Wood, which is one of the finest books ever written

mat_j Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:17:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:
>I tried making a list of books i read a few years ago but kept losing it, at the time i was averaging about 14/15 books a year, i don't know what it has been this year probably about 6 books so far.

*Careful tally has noted i've actually read 9 books this year

antartica Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:33:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0375413901/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-2877921-0773732#reader-page

mat_j Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:40:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thankyou Antmeister

antartica Posted: Mon Jul 5 11:47:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nay worries my good man Mat =)

Puck Posted: Fri Jul 16 23:14:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I could count the books I read in a year on my fingers and toes in necessary. I want to...wait...I want to want to read more. That's it. Most of the books I read are for school. But when I say read, I mean forget about the assignment, veg-out/play Unreal, and ask the chick that sits behind me what she read. These days, it's how many games I've finished or movies watched, not how many books I've read. There's a stack on my shelf that I don't have much hope for:
Either/Or-Kierkegaard, Candide-Voltaire, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide-Adams, Animal Farm-Orwell, Ender's Game(I'd like read it again)and Xenocide-Card, Interview with the Vampire-Rice, Slaughterhouse Five-Vonnegut, Grendel-Gardner, The Silmarillion-Tolkien, Choke and Survivor-Palanuik, The Prince-Machiavelli, The Klingon Dictionary, The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth, Politically Correct Bedtime Stories-Garner, The Simpsons and Philosophy, Neverwhere-Gaiman, and some Poe and Shakespeare too. Many of those books I read a few pages and then get distracted by something shiny. Some I just want to reread.
I prefer to buy a book. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's not because I owe the library $5. ;) Oh, where would I be without used-book stores and clearance sections.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]