Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

I'm not as morbid as this thread makes out but...
mat_j Posted: Mon Jul 5 12:23:58 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey dudes and duderellas, i was reading a article posted by Antartica earlier about dead people on line and what will become of your "on-line personality" when you die. Will your homepage photograph of your grinning chops haunt friends and family alike from beyond the grave? Have you quietly set your net assets to self destruct on command from one of your nearest and dearest?
Or have you never considered anyone online to be close enough to inform about the snuffing out of you flame of existance.

DaveHill Posted: Mon Jul 5 12:40:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I read that thread as well, thinking about making a list of things that need to be done computer-/internet-wise after i've died, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Unsubscribing to newsletters, deleting profiles, etc.
It's not that i consider anybody special enough (yet?), but i just don't like to keep things disorganized.

(nice side-effect : Addi won't have to stay up late wondering about what happened to all those people that drive-by fruited :P)

Mouse Posted: Mon Jul 5 13:12:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My dad has all my passwords, or knows where to find them, so he wouldn't have any trouble finding out what I had been doing and signing me out of things.
You can't delete ICQ accounts, I can just imagine years after my death people finding me in contact searches. This is the only place I go where I actually talk to people I have never met enough for anybody to notice if i disappeared. Or at least for there to be a chance they'd notice.
I wonder what would happen to my computer?
It's interesting to think that things you said and wanted people to know about you could be out there forever.

FN Posted: Mon Jul 5 15:15:59 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm.

I've wondered about stuff like that quite a bit as well.

The thing is that I'm the only one using my computer, and I have a whole lot of texts, poetry, music, etc., on it, so I wonder what that would be like for my family to go through all of that after I die, considering the fact that none of them know anything about my interest in poetry for example.

I think that they might draw wrong conclusions from it.

Have been thinking the past few months about making a text file and putting it on my desktop for people to read in case I'd die to clear some stuff up and to avoid misunderstandings.

Mark Posted: Mon Jul 5 15:24:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  when I die, my online personality will probably exist until all is deleted due lack of activity.

erikagm Posted: Mon Jul 5 17:03:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  same here... I live off of free sites that delete your accounts if your dont log on for like 6 months or so...

Zacq Posted: Mon Jul 5 17:16:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Have been thinking the past few months about making a text file and putting it on my desktop for people to read in case I'd die to clear some stuff up and to avoid misunderstandings.

I have something like that. It's really just a bunch of random word documents that I write down all my ideas on that go on to things that I've written on my computer, but it makes pretty clear what it was I was intending.

choke Posted: Mon Jul 5 20:08:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i have a friend id like to think would mention it. but i dont know. he doesnt like my being here at all :P

addi Posted: Mon Jul 5 22:17:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  this is my place. Others know I come here, and I don't hide it, but I don't really want family or close friends coming aboard. yes, i'm that selfish.

If I croak no one would come on and say anything, so if you don't here from me in the future for a long period of time it's safe to assume I'm dead,...
or I've been abducted by aliens from across the ocean and am being analy probed.

speaking of alien abductions, where the hell is mesh?!

libra Posted: Mon Jul 5 22:32:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well, i don't know if anyone would know to check and let the gters know. Maybe one friend. Hopefully she would...but if i am gone for a long time and you're wondering what's wrong, you could check my livejournal. That'd be more likely to be updated.

My username's [redacted]

dan632 Posted: Mon Jul 5 22:48:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Have been thinking the past few months about making a text file and putting it on my desktop for people to read in case I'd die to clear some stuff up and to avoid misunderstandings.

and u still haven't done anything? BACON!

Blackstar Posted: Mon Jul 5 23:22:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  there was a Gen-Terror user many moons ago who died... dont you remember. His sister posted saying that he was dead, and he left a list of passwords and names so that the online groups would know that he died?

libra Posted: Mon Jul 5 23:37:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Blackstar said:
>there was a Gen-Terror user many moons ago who died... dont you remember. His sister posted saying that he was dead, and he left a list of passwords and names so that the online groups would know that he died?

i remember that. it was right after i started coming to the forum.

dan632 Posted: Mon Jul 5 23:41:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  yeah it was nockturnal

libra Posted: Mon Jul 5 23:54:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  subject line:

i regret to inform you...

you guys all thought it was a hoax.

antartica Posted: Tue Jul 6 00:35:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  oh joy!
imortallitttyyyy!!!!

but i've not changed some user id's and passwords for nearly the last 10 years. there be a coupla people who'd know... or care i think?

DaveHill Posted: Tue Jul 6 02:20:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>subject line:
>
>i regret to inform you...
>
>
>you guys all thought it was a hoax.

I remember that too, don't know if i was already a user back then (like everybody i first lurked in the shadows...). Was an interesting event, almost nobody believed it was true. Think about it : you've made a list of everything that needs to be done after your dead, and then nobody believes what's being said. Why make a list at all?

DanSRose Posted: Tue Jul 6 02:49:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This thread has so totally bummed me out. No one knows my passwords, 'net ids, handles, locker combinations, pin numbers, etc. I'd just fade away.
Sad.

DaveHill Posted: Tue Jul 6 05:16:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And it's always better to burn out than to fade away.

[/worn out quote]

addi Posted: Tue Jul 6 07:40:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  call me a cynic, but I still think Noctural was having a good laugh on us. All my instincts say it was a poor joke being played by someone that didn't feel any strong emotional connection to any of us.

of course my instincts also told me choke was a plonker, so i could be wrong

*where's Dancer?

antartica Posted: Tue Jul 6 07:44:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>*where's Dancer?

testing out MP3 players...

dan632 Posted: Tue Jul 6 07:46:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i hope she's stealing daniel an MP3 player

DaveHill Posted: Tue Jul 6 08:16:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>call me a cynic
>
Cynic.

Can i get my cookie now?

addi Posted: Tue Jul 6 08:31:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DaveHill said:

>Can i get my nookie now?

be cool. you can't act desperate or you'll frighten them away : )

libra Posted: Tue Jul 6 10:22:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>call me a cynic, but I still think Noctural was having a good laugh on us. All my instincts say it was a poor joke being played by someone that didn't feel any strong emotional connection to any of us.
>
>of course my instincts also told me choke was a plonker, so i could be wrong

i think you're right addi. i went to the thread, and nocturnal still has an avatar up...wouldn't that have been discontinued, or the account closed...

antartica Posted: Tue Jul 6 11:06:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>i think you're right addi. i went to the thread, and nocturnal still has an avatar up...wouldn't that have been discontinued, or the account closed...

no more avatar...

antartica Posted: Tue Jul 6 11:12:46 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  my bad
still there... avatars won't show when ya do a username post check thingamajig...

DaveHill Posted: Tue Jul 6 12:25:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>DaveHill said:
>
>>Can i get my nookie now?
>
>be cool. you can't act desperate or you'll frighten them away : )

Oh yeah, the cookie monster thingie :D

addi Posted: Tue Jul 6 12:36:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Dave UnderHill said:

>Oh yeah, the cookie monster thingie :D

I'm not sure what the cookie monster has to do with nookie, but that's probably cuz i'm american and never got to see the European uncensored version of Seseme Street : )

Mouse Posted: Tue Jul 6 13:10:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DaveHill said:
>addison said:
>>call me a cynic
>>
>Cynic.
>
>Can i get my cookie now?

*Holds out a tray* Chocolate chip or sugar?

FN Posted: Tue Jul 6 13:17:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Does anybody know a song, kind of film noir-like atmosphere with a woman singing something like "message 1 0561, this is the..." and then something about a gun and "I can hurt you" or something.

It sucks I've been searching for that song for so long now and I don't even know the lyrics.

I think it's by aimee mann, heard a song by her and the voice kind of was like that but I'm not sure, can't find any lyrics of her which resemble the one I'm talking about.

erikagm Posted: Tue Jul 6 13:37:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Does anybody know a song, kind of film noir-like atmosphere with a woman singing something like "message 1 0561, this is the..." and then something about a gun and "I can hurt you" or something.

Could it be the song from pulp fiction?

you know, the one that starts "everybody gets your hands up, this is a robbery" and something else and then a guitar with the typical pulp fiction tune starts?

erikagm Posted: Tue Jul 6 13:42:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Or maybe this?

I Could Hurt You Now
by Aimee Mann
Album : Whatever

This is for the one who was false
who taught me about building walls
one who could always turn it around
to leave me here on shaky ground
this is for the one who made good
in someone else's neighborhood
one who was never anything but
the shifty eye of sheer bad luck
once I thought that I would never forget
and I have not quite done that yet

but I could hurt you now
I could hurt you now

this is for the time that I lost
the death of who I thought I was
the things in which I cannot believe
for fear I'll wear them on my sleeve
things I know that will never be returned
but I crossed that bridge before it burned

so I could hurt you now
I could hurt you now
(listen, sonny boy
you just don't get it, do you)
I could hurt you now
(tell you what I'll do
I'll get that message to you)

Maybe it leaves an invisible scar
but I have not come quite that far

but I could hurt you now
(listen, sonny boy
you just don't get it, do you)
I could hurt you now
(tell you what I'll do
I'll get that message to you)

erikagm Posted: Tue Jul 6 13:50:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>My dad has all my passwords, or knows where to find them, so he wouldn't have any trouble finding out what I had been doing and signing me out of things.

Just read this... I cant imagine my dad having all my passwords... That would be scary... Especially since they have *no* respect for privacy...

laurie Posted: Tue Jul 6 16:34:07 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>you know, the one that starts "everybody gets your hands up, this is a robbery" and something else and then a guitar with the typical pulp fiction tune starts?
>

thats scooby snacks by the fun loving criminals..(I'm in love with that song, its genious) the song thats starts "message 10561" reminds me of a primal scream track, but I doubt it.

erikagm Posted: Tue Jul 6 17:10:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Youre right... I havent heard it in a long time though, or I would have corrected it sooner... But youre absolutely right

FN Posted: Tue Jul 6 17:13:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Not that one either

erikagm Posted: Tue Jul 6 17:16:56 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Not that one either

i know luv, but it -was- the one i was thinking about...

FN Posted: Tue Jul 6 17:19:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *sniffles*

:o(

mat_j Posted: Wed Jul 7 09:59:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>call me a cynic, but I still think Noctural was having a good laugh on us. All my instincts say it was a poor joke being played by someone that didn't feel any strong emotional connection to any of us.

Nocturnal isn't dead he's an attention seeker, they always survive so they can carry on seeking attention.

Puck Posted: Sat Jul 17 01:00:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DaveHill said:
>(nice side-effect : Addi won't have to stay up late wondering about what happened to all those people that drive-by fruited :P)
We DBF-ers have feelings too, ya know.
*a single tear falls*

DaveHill said:
>Why make a list at all?
for the gullible and the gulli-calf.

The question seems to suggest the idea of an online-soul. I have thought about dieing and disappearing from GT. I must make a list of all my passwords and people that should be informed when I die. I am writing a report-ish thing about myself for that purpose. It's a "Speaker for the Dead" sort of thing. I try not to tell many ppl about this place cuz I'm no gt missionary.

This Puck person doesn't really exist at all. It's really a series of errors on the site that just happen to look like posts made by a human...ok ok, half-human...on my mother's side.
Perhaps Nocturnal is like Andy Kaufman or Jesus.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]