Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Is this for real ?
ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 9 16:30:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh Canada!
Monday, August 09, 2004
By David Asman
Canada is coping with crack cocaine (search) use in a uniquely Canadian way of doing things. Some folks in Vancouver have demanded that the government fund crack houses.

Perhaps I should repeat that: Health Canada, the Canadian government’s health system, is being asked to open smoking rooms for crack addicts.

A Vancouver advocacy organization called The Rock Users Group claims that the crack houses are needed to make the streets safe for crack addicts. Says the leader of the group: “Right now, on the street, if you’re carrying a pipe and you’re not smoking it, you get roughed up by the police. That shouldn’t happen.”

The government-run crack houses would provide a safe place to toke up and would distribute little crack kits to crack addicts that would include a pipe, five brass screens, two new mouthpieces, condoms and printed material on "safe" smoking techniques.

Canada already funds places where heroin addicts can shoot up. One so-called "safe-injection site" received a grant of $1.5 million from Health Canada and another $3.2 million from the provincial government.

The thinking is, if it’s good enough for smack addicts, why not a safe house for crack addicts? Says heroin addict Dean Wilson, "I think we should give the same courtesy to people who smoke rock [cocaine] as we did with the safe injection site."

And that’s the Observer.

DanSRose Posted: Mon Aug 9 16:41:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Do you know how many odd things the government (any governemt) is asked to do?
There are groups like that here in the states.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 9 16:46:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>Do you know how many odd things the government (any governemt) is asked to do?
>There are groups like that here in the states.
>

Canada already funds places where heroin addicts can shoot up. One so-called "safe-injection site" received a grant of $1.5 million from Health Canada and another $3.2 million from the provincial government.
---------------Groups like this ?

erikagm Posted: Mon Aug 9 17:11:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hey if it gets them off the street...

And anyway, my view has always been "make drugs legal"

That way, if junkies wanna OD to their hearts content, then no loss to anyone. Less junkies, cheaper drugs (smuggling causes the high prices, not production so that way you would reduce crime in order to obtain money for buying them as well), and you could even tax them!

If they wanna kill themselves with the crap, then let's at least make some money for the people that really need it out of it, i say...

DanSRose Posted: Mon Aug 9 17:27:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I read about those. They act as a sort of half-way house. They give clean needles, which radically reduces some of the danger of taking intravenous drugs.
No, it's not a good thing. Unfortunately, it's the only thing right now. It's the safest thing.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 9 18:04:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>I read about those. They act as a sort of half-way house. They give clean needles, which radically reduces some of the danger of taking intravenous drugs.
>No, it's not a good thing. Unfortunately, it's the only thing right now. It's the safest thing.
>
I don't have a problem with legalization, but I have a real problem with tax dollars funding their habits.

Zacq Posted: Mon Aug 9 18:54:34 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>I don't have a problem with legalization, but I have a real problem with tax dollars funding their habits.

Then you show those bastards and refuse to pay any of your Canadien taxes.

ifihadahif Posted: Mon Aug 9 19:15:12 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Zacq said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>I don't have a problem with legalization, but I have a real problem with tax dollars funding their habits.
>
>Then you show those bastards and refuse to pay any of your Canadien taxes.
>
lmao
Maybe they should also provide free cigarettes and beer too.

antartica Posted: Tue Aug 10 01:24:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'd be happy for em to legalise marijhuana....

DaveHill Posted: Tue Aug 10 03:28:43 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Come to Holland....getting jealous of me now?

Christian Posted: Tue Aug 10 07:30:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  How do I get my Pic, like DanRose, to STAY on this site...is there somewhere i can post it to do so? ANYONE???

jennemmer Posted: Tue Aug 10 10:48:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>Canada already funds places where heroin addicts can shoot up. One so-called "safe-injection site" received a grant of $1.5 million from Health Canada and another $3.2 million from the provincial government.
>---------------Groups like this ?

I spent a summer in Vancouver and this was quite the controversy. It is a place to deposit used needles, aquire clean ones and provide a place where heroin addicts feel comfortable, in the hopes that they stay healtier (ie. help stop the transmission of certain diseases) and have people to reach out to if they decide they want to try and turn their lives around. I don't believe injections are actually done on site.

Posted: Wed Aug 11 01:12:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  good god.

all those tax dollars!
and do think, I can't even get a small pack of dumaurier cigarettes for less than $8.00. Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

so much cheaper, but shittier across the river in detroit.

iwonder Posted: Wed Aug 11 01:19:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ah great! and here in India we are still battling for the rights to drink a can of beer out in the open. we have laws that say 'No alcohol for people under 25'! try beating that!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]