Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

To the woods...
Cytherean Posted: Fri Aug 20 22:07:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've often considered a trip to the woods without any intentions of returning. What makes us long for such things?

DanSRose Posted: Fri Aug 20 23:45:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Memories of something ... older
something older than us
Genetic memory or the memories of those who came before
Rememory, it's called. Memories of those who came before.

innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Aug 21 00:05:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Actually, I've been the sorta sci-fi/ fantasy freak who always wished for a ocean-blue portal to open up and take me away...

I think it's the allure of the unknown... Or maybe of just having peace...

kurohyou Posted: Sat Aug 21 00:45:55 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  For me its the idea of solitude, away from all the agnst of the world. And a reconnection with nature...

Posted: Sat Aug 21 03:14:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

read that, or even just the first 2 chapters.

THAT'S what happens if you run off into the woods.

antartica Posted: Sat Aug 21 03:30:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  have never read tt book criminal... but mebbe i'l try

run off into the wood... no. coz i have never liked the woods / forest / jungle

have thought of getting marooned on a desert island and forage off the land and sea and actually be happy....

antartica Posted: Sat Aug 21 03:42:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  juz like this....
http://d1.yousendit.com/d/F12B8855E7D6B8F538257AA20A3F2B22/FedEx.wmv

antartica Posted: Sat Aug 21 10:10:39 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  sorry my bad.... heres the right link
it'll expire sometime 28Aug i think
http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=F12B8855E7D6B8F538257AA20A3F2B22

simonvii Posted: Sat Aug 21 12:17:52 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>
>read that, or even just the first 2 chapters.
>
>THAT'S what happens if you run off into the woods.
>
"Deliverance".......

THAT'S what happens if you run off into the woods.......

Covester Posted: Sat Aug 21 20:37:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  learning is just a form of remembering

Cytherean Posted: Sun Aug 22 19:10:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like to think that nature has some sort of powerful grip on our emotional sensibilities. The ability to overwhelm us with beauty, to terrify us with awesome displays of wild and reckless power. How a single flower can have the strength to bring you to your knees, or a sunset whose beauty can just ravage our senses. It is a shocking vulnerability...Dillard once wrote, "Our excessive emotions are so patently painful and harmful to us as a species that I can hardly believe that they evolved...(But, some higher animals have emotions that we think are similar to ours: dogs, elephants and sea mammals mourn their dead. Why do that to an otter? What creator could be so cruel?...It would seem that emotions are the curse, not death - emotions that appear to have developed upon a few freaks as a special curse from Malevolence." It is this power that draws us like moths to a flame. This throbbing power that can be felt. Waves, waves in the air...the voice of the trees. The power of life, of all the breathing biology around us. The lungs of this massive organism heaving and writhing...It's invigorating! There is so much power in life. That is why the woods would be a welcomed home. Because it is natural. And what is natural we can only belive to be in our best interest, God wants us to survive...or so I hope

People go to the woods to remove themselves from the distractions of there own race. The material obsession, processed foods, polluted air, and all the repugnancies of civilization. To find the "primordial beast" within, to smell air the way it's meant ot be smelled, to become part of the cycle that we've alienated ourselves from, to be a human, strong and capable. Survival means nothing when it's handed ot us on a silver platter, or a plastic bag. The proper transfer of energy is one of expenditure to gain. You use your energy to find and secure the enregy of something else. It's energy becomes your energy...this is good. Sucking up energy without using it is not healthy and not natural. Hence the American weight problem.

I'd go on but I have to go...

Just for the sake of recapitulation, the woods offer us something we cannot find in our own counterfeit world we've made for ourselves. It's important to go there, if only for a little while

choke Posted: Sun Aug 22 21:38:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd love to live in the woods. I was going to live in a cave and become a hermit and collect berries and eat wild beasts.. But we ran out of wild beasts, I'd probably be on someones land and chased out with pitchforks, and the berries have all been sprayed with pesticide. *sigh*

Mesh Posted: Mon Aug 23 08:56:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  God I hate Mondays. I would really like to run away into the woods right about now.

Screw everyone and everything.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]