Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Dream Control
Cytherean Posted: Fri Aug 20 22:41:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been recording my dreams narratively for about 6 months now. I've been informed that if you write down your dreams word-for-word religiously for a certain amount of time, you can achieve "dream control."
It started out as something to practice my writing skills with and possibly gain some insight into my own clouded psyche, maybe a future story (if I can weave it all together). Do you believe in this ever-elusive "dream control?" Maybe I'll share a few dreams if anyone's interested...

Puck Posted: Fri Aug 20 23:04:08 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I record my dreams when I remember them, but it's not common. I can control my dreams in a way. If I expect something to happen, then it happens. If I believe I can fly, then I can. If I think I'm going to get bit by a badly-drawn red snake, then I will.
I usually never have a problem analyzing my dreams, but those dream analysis books just seem retarded.

I'll read your stories if you want to post them.

DanSRose Posted: Fri Aug 20 23:46:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I rarely to never remember my dreams When I do, I turn them into written stories. Nothing else seems fair.

innocenceNonus Posted: Fri Aug 20 23:54:06 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Most of my dreams I just tell people. Ones I remember anyway. They're all weird dreams anyhow.

Dream control?? Sounds elusive. Hopefully, you could one day control it.

Thougb Frued would say controlling your dreams would be controlling your inner most dreams and desires. Elusive? Very.

Puck Posted: Sat Aug 21 00:38:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Since I can control my dreams, I can control my desires? Yep. But that means that, truly, I desire nothing. Right?

kurohyou Posted: Sat Aug 21 00:44:36 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think it would depend strongly on whether you actually belive that your dreams have meaning. I've heard some theories that dreams have meanings, I've heard other theories that dreams are nothing more but random images which are in your brain, and that your brain orders them, and that is why they are so weird some times.

I belived that dreams do have meanings myself. Part of me thinks that they are a connection to a collective unconscious, another part of me thinks that they are your subconscious dealing with things that you have issues with.

I don't know that you can control them, though it would be an intersting endeavour, but at the same time I think it would take some of the magic away.

For me personally, my dreams are weird, I will remember a few, then none, and then the oddest thing is that twice a month or so I will have dreams come true. Oft times they are just dreams about every day events, walking down the hall at work and I pass someone, nothing too interesting, but anywhere between 30 secs and the longest lasting 10 mins, I know everything that is going to happen, and its like I'm just an observer. My friends tell me if I can harness that it could come in handy, but its not on my list of things to do.

There are times though when its a little creepy.

antartica Posted: Sat Aug 21 05:42:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ok we all know how the dream process goes on right... with rem and the different sleep stages

i sleep like a log most of the time. it's not uncommon for me to sleep the day through noise and all. i've fallen asleep in a pump room with 4 centrifugal pumps running at max capacity... so... heh

but on the rare occasions that i do awake during sleep and recall my dreams, they are always very vivid and i tend to remember the details only later in the day or even over the next few days, and is usually about my very close group of friends whom i consider faimily.

but no, i've never bothered to write it down... mebbe i should try although it would be a very rare occurance for me, would be an interesting project... may juz make it a blog entry... we'll see

libra Posted: Sat Aug 21 13:26:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's called lucid dreaming, right? We learned about it in psych. They use it to help people get over certain fears. It's possible.

I hardly ever remember my dreams, but the other night, i dreamed that my boyfriend killed himself. it was really disturbing.

antartica Posted: Sun Aug 22 09:59:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I hardly ever remember my dreams, but the other night, i dreamed that my boyfriend killed himself. it was really disturbing.

xactly... talk about good timing, we think about lotsa things in our conscious hours and most of the time, things like our loved ones are on our minds one way or another, consciousli or subcon...

this is where we allow ourselves to be controlled by our subcon. we ponder over a dream so much that it actually affects our daily conscious lives and most of the times, end up living it....

Cytherean Posted: Sun Aug 22 18:38:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Lucid dreaming, eh? I like that, sounds like Vanilla Sky, one of my favorite movies. I think I know why I like it, too. It's hard for me to explain, (these are the things that are extraordinarily difficult to articulate using language, telepathy would really come in handy here), it has some type of aesthetic sublimity to it. The way the colors swim across the screen, the music, the sensual cinematography. It is truly an aesthetic monument to film. I've recently been dipping into some Edmund Burke, "Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of our Ideas about the Sublime and Beautiful," (don't let the windy title turn you off, it's actually very succinct and very readable) Burke says that sublime, as we experience it, is emotion so overwhelmingly pure that it shuts down rational thought completely and your mind believes it is percieving something divine or magical. Dreams, I think, have the same effect on the subconcious mind. My dreams have been powerful my entire life. Always vivid, often frightening, and of course, quite bizarre in waking retrospect. It wasn't until spring of this year that it occurred to me that it may be enlightening to record them, try to capture some of the essence of that sublime, it sounded like great inspiration for good literature. So I procured a small noetbook and began scrawling into the night. So far it has been going realy well. I've had a bit of a drought lately, but I'm confident my material is far from depletion.
As far as dreams just being images floating around randomly inside your head, I'm not so sure. There is indeed something mystical about them. Like I said, maybe that's my subconcious, my "subliminal sensitivity" just tricking me into believing there's a magic there, but something tells me there's something extraordinary going on here. Maybe I just like to believe there is...

choke Posted: Sun Aug 22 21:18:48 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You sound alot like a friend of mine, who wants to explore her unconscious mind. I suffer from nightmares, so this isnt an option, because id probably go insane if I tried anything like this. Try looking up Carl Jung (I think his name is) he has a few ideas about the unconscious and dreams.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]