Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Swordplay
Cytherean Posted: Sun Aug 29 01:02:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My friend and I were just swordfighting out in the dark. The grass is wet outside and there's virtually no light, save for the glint of the moonlight on our blades. Something struck me as I stood there under the night sky, taking hits from my merciless opponent: I have absolutely no swordfighting skills. I find it very difficult to divide my awareness between the movements of my adversary and the movements of his sword. If anyone has any tips at all, I beseech you to share them with me. It is an art that I want to cultivate. I have the endurance and the strength but apparently no skill. Please, do share...

Mark Posted: Sun Aug 29 05:14:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  When I play a little game of "highlander" myself I tend to use the following: I know some moves that can suprise the opponent, suddenly changing your attack. Usually I wait for my opponent to attack, it will reveal his attack so I can act on it. How to act is a matter of experience and since I ain't a real swordfighter I don't really know sometimes. But do know that a good swordfight is over in a matter of seconds.

Asswipe Posted: Sun Aug 29 10:57:27 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  bend over and grab a handful of dirt/dust/sand then toss the powdered mix towards your opponents eyes, it will leaves them partially blind or at least confused for several seconds when you can make the finishing blow.

Asswipe Posted: Sun Aug 29 10:58:47 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  damn, "it will leaves them", i sound like gollum. anyway, are you 12?

you've a crazy cool picture

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Aug 30 12:48:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>anyway, are you 12?
>
Real nice asswipe. I don't know Cytherean. I would take fencing lessons to start with. But that's just me. I tried to tech myself archery it didn't work too well. Find someone who won't make fun of you to teach you, Inigo Montoya

kurohyou Posted: Mon Aug 30 19:56:11 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  First thing I would ask you is what type of sword are you using. The tatics and techniques differ if you are using a Katana, a rapier, or a broadsword, therefore your tactics change.

I fight with a Katana, I'm looking to start using two since I'm ambidextrious. So the rest of this is based on fighting with a Katana.

First thing I would suggest is reading two books. The first is "The book of 5 Rings" the second is "The Life-Giving Sword," and a third, while it has more to do with Bushido than actual tatics is "Hakagure"

Swordfighting is as much an art as calligraphy, that is a common thread that runs through all of these books. Its an art. Its also very spritual. Zen Buddhism, which I'm also a novice student of, is a strong component of the Life giving sword. In that one specifically, it emphasis not fixing your mind on anything that your opponent is doing, for once you do that, you have been defeated. Its a lot harder to to that in reality than simply saying it.

I've been sparing with a buddy of mine for a year now, and one of the issues I have is the fact that he is a lot taller than me. So is reach is much further than mine so in order to even think about strking him I have to come into his area of strking, its difficult to defeat him and I've not done it too often yet. But I'm getting better.

The other thing I will tell you is that the goal of any duel is not to be cut. If you keep your opponent from cutting you then you are in good shape. Try thinking about it that way.

I have to head home, but I'll look through my books tonight and see if I can pull together some pratical tatics to share.

Good luck.

Kira Posted: Mon Aug 30 21:46:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I only got as far as basic footwork in my fencing class before I left.

Keep your back heel up. Think of it as a coiled spring, or the hammer of a gun...

Cytherean Posted: Wed Sep 1 21:25:30 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
> anyway, are you 12?
>
>you've a crazy cool picture

LOL. I just turned 18 a few weeks ago...since you asked. That picture is me standing in front of the West Canada Lakes silhouetted against the sunset, enjoying a rum-soaked cigar after dinner. The West Canada lakes are located deep into the Northville-Lake Placid trail wilderness near Piseco, about 18 miles south of Wakely Dam. But thank you for noticing...

Cytherean Posted: Wed Sep 1 21:30:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  kurohyou said:
>First thing I would ask you is what type of sword are you using.
I am using a bokken practice sword (basically a wooden katana wrapped in foam I guess)
I am using it like a katana anyway.

>First thing I would suggest is reading two books. The first is "The book of 5 Rings" the second is "The Life-Giving Sword," and a third, while it has more to do with Bushido than actual tatics is "Hakagure"
>
I will definitely check those out, thank you very much.

>Swordfighting is as much an art as calligraphy,
You seen Hero yet? You'd like it

>In that one specifically, it emphasis not fixing your mind on anything that your opponent is doing, for once you do that, you have been defeated. Its a lot harder to to that in reality than simply saying it.
>
That might be my problem, I tried not looking at his sword but instead at him, trying to anticipate his attacks. His line of defense is almost impenetrable. He has no style, he's just fast and opportunistic.

>I have to head home, but I'll look through my books tonight and see if I can pull together some pratical tatics to share.
>
Thanks for the help, I'll look forward to more.

Cytherean Posted: Wed Sep 1 21:31:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Sailovzi said:

>Keep your back heel up. Think of it as a coiled spring, or the hammer of a gun...
>
I like that...I will keep that in mind.

Puck Posted: Wed Sep 1 22:51:41 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Save room to jump back if you have to dodge an attack, if you can't block.
Don't watch a certain part of your opponent. That will distract you.
Watch everything. As they begin to move, visualize where they will be. When they start to swing, just keep your blade between you theirs.
If you get tired, back off and defend yourself.

Whenever there are light-sabers or cardboard tubes nearby, my bro and I will go at it. Practicing with "swords" has strengthened my hand-to-hand combat skills as well. Skateboarding and extreme hacking (Hackey sack with too much effort)have taught me balance.

Practice, dude.

kurohyou Posted: Thu Sep 2 10:01:33 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cytherean said:
>kurohyou said:

>I am using a bokken practice sword (basically a wooden katana wrapped in foam I guess)
>I am using it like a katana anyway.
>
Ah very good. I too use a bokken, but only to practice forms. When sparing I use a shinai. The bamboo sword. Doesn't hurt nearly as much to get struck with.

>>First thing I would suggest is reading two books. The first is "The book of 5 Rings" the second is "The Life-Giving Sword," and a third, while it has more to do with Bushido than actual tatics is "Hakagure"
>>
>I will definitely check those out, thank you very much.
>
>>Swordfighting is as much an art as calligraphy,
>You seen Hero yet? You'd like it
>

I have not but its on the list. I just watched Crouching Tiger again the other night though and I'm still blown away by how fast Chow Yung Fat is. If I can become 1/2 that fast I would be happy.
>
>
>>
>Thanks for the help, I'll look forward to more.
>

I'll get the info together here soon, work's been chaotic at best.

Like Puck said, keep practicing.

mat_j Posted: Sun Sep 5 21:36:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Ooo gutted i missed this thread first time round.

I studied fencing a while back and a spattering of kendo.

My advice is find the natural curves and lines of your advance, feel the force flowing though your veins, it does you credit but it could be used to serve the emperor

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]