Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

.Henry David Thoreau
CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:05:38 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Started reading about him recently. I like what he has to say. While surfing for his material, I came across this quote which caught my attention:

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.

It brings a smile to my face. I can't remember when was the last time I pen an entry into my diary. But I think its a good thing. I usually only write my diary when I am depress, sad, confused etc. When I am happy, I neglect it. Why? Because I am too busy living my life in the real world! :)

Incidently, I think people who are glued to the tv watching soap opera and hundred-episode of chinese series are insane! They rather live other people's life then get their bum out of the chair and start living their own.

Just another bored saturday night at home...

CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:11:16 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  btw, in case you didn't know, Thoreau was the guy who said the following quote, made famous in the movie Dead Poet Society:

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it has to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

He left civilization, and walked into the woods to live there for two years. Man, do you think that's practical in today's society? I mean, I live in Singapore, which wood should I head for? I would probably need a valid passport for migration before I can find a decent wood to sustain life!

CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:14:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Henry_David_Thoreau/

Mesh Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:18:21 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like his Civil Disobediance...essay? I guess, essay or whatever, I liked it.

CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:20:10 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.mcelhearn.com/thoreau/quotes.html

You can read all about it here :)

Mesh Posted: Sat Sep 4 10:33:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Havent read much of his, but would like to read more.

Thanks for the linky :)

sweet p Posted: Sat Sep 4 13:03:17 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Walden is pretty good....
I found it rather boring in some parts but I liked reading the book.

innocenceNonus Posted: Sat Sep 4 22:47:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thoreau is AWESOME. A definite role model for me. More so than Emerson...

CorDrine Posted: Sat Sep 4 22:50:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Its great to admire them and all, but is it really practical to follow into their footsteps? I feel that they have the courage to do something which I lack. A part of me want to just do what they did, but a part of me know its hard to execute that thought. sigh.... So I guess for the time being, I can just adnire.

Cytherean Posted: Sun Sep 5 02:18:35 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thoreau was something else. He was completely and entirely obsessed with his beans. He wished to study every part of them and know them more than anything else in the world. I highly respect his philosophies and writings, but his trip to the woods wasn't as rustic as he makes it seem. His parents lived not a mile away from his little one-room cabin, and he was fond of eating meals there and visiting with his folks. Oh and CorDrine, there are and have been many who have the courage to break the chains of corporate world. Chris McCandless (a.k.a. Alexander Supertramp) tramped across the entire US until having his final, and fatal, adventure on the Stampede trail in Alaska. Oh and what about Jack Kerouac? The counterculture has always been there. You can do the same. If you feel it in your soul, by all means, quit your job and just start walking the earth. All we really have on this earth is an average of maybe 70 years. Is that long enough to spend the rest of your life in "quiet desperation?"

< << I like his Civil Disobediance...essay? I guess, essay or whatever, I liked it.>>

I think that would be considered a discourse or a treatise, depending upon how long it is.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]