Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Need help with computer stuff
Rei_Dentrick Posted: Tue Sep 7 23:38:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My friends and I are beginning to build computers. We need a bit of advice;

First, what are some important things to note about compatibility? Such as RAM and cards coordinating with the motherboard, that kind of thing.

And where is the cheapest place to buy parts? Is there somewhere I can buy Windows XP Home for less than a hundred dollars? -.-

Thanks,
Rei

DaveHill Posted: Wed Sep 8 05:07:25 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My advice : if you don't know all that already, don't even think about wanting to build a computer.
It's the same as eating without cutlery.

Dancer Posted: Wed Sep 8 06:01:26 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey rei..

this will help you www.ehow.com

erikagm Posted: Wed Sep 8 10:40:44 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I tend to agree with Dave Hill... If you dont have the know-how or the contacts already, you're better off just not messing with it...

Posted: Wed Sep 8 14:17:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you can start off with very very little know-how by buying barebones systems from computer expos. There's one in detroit every other month or so, you can pick up a barebones computer for about $150, turn around and sell it online for $400.

sweet p Posted: Wed Sep 8 14:21:03 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  nonono
Don't listen!

As long as you aren't trying to sell these things to dumb people yet, I think that it's great you are trying to build computers!

The only way to ever do anything you haven't done is to research, ask questions and take risks. Practice makes perfect anyway, right? [But always be prepared for problems and know that this can get really messy and frustrating].

Of course, the first thing you have to make sure is that you have all the components...Stay away from retail stores and look for smaller repair-type stores in your area. I don't know where you live but there are few of them in Toronto which sell parts for cheaper....

I would say that the most important thing would be what kind of motherboard you are getting. If you might want to make upgrades in the future, you will have to make sure about what your motherboard can support. I assume you know about this though, and I am just babbling.

I would say be prepared to spend a lot on RAM. Especially since you mentioned Windows XP...You will need a lot of memory...and since it is a very important component in the computer, it shouldn't be the area you try to save most of your money on.

A couple of things that might help:

- Try to pick a processor and a power supply that are compatible [usually the power supply will have a "recommended processor"]. Otherwise, everything might be right but the computer won't turn on or something.

- For your CPU, I have heard that Intel Pentiums are preferred and have less compatibility problems

K, other than that, I am not much of a computer expert so I don't know if I can help. You likely already know everything I just mentioned but it's what I can offer....

Have fun and good luck!

Cytherean Posted: Wed Sep 8 22:47:50 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Rei, I suggest knowing someone who can give you real cheap parts, like a dealer. That's how I built my PC this summer. This guy works for a computer sales company and gets free parts and software. It costed 400 dollars to build a 2.4 gHz Pentium 4, 512 MB PC-3200 DDR RAM, 80 GB HD, with a GeForce FX 5200 128 MB VIDRAM. Pretty good deal. It really helps if you know someone that can get you the hook up. Otherwise, you might try any number of computer parts sites. Just compare prices. As for compatibility, most RAM will be perfectly compatible with your motherboard. Just make sure all your RAM is the same type, and you should be ok. Building your own computer is a highly expensive endeavor, not just with funds but also time. Think of the opportunity costs before you consider building one. I was lucky enough to find a guy who could completely set me up and help me build it, all done in a matter of weeks. Just ask yourself if you have the resources, the time, and the right connections to make it happen, otherwise it might not be worth your while.

Rei_Dentrick Posted: Thu Sep 9 00:03:51 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Thank you all for your responses, your input is appreciated. Probobly I will enlist help from someone experienced to walk us through the first couple computers.

dan632 Posted: Thu Sep 9 06:56:23 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i reccomend u get up, go to the mailbox, find a catologue and pick a packaged one...stay away from AMD and celeron processors though

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]