Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Free to a good home..
choke Posted: Tue Sep 14 04:42:32 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been accepted as an exchange student in America for a year, beginning August 2005, but I don't have a host family yet. I've just sent about a bazillion forms off to USA so I expect all you american GTers to express your newfound interest in hosting a student!

DaveHill Posted: Tue Sep 14 05:48:05 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *starts to wave*

oh wait, i'm in Europe :P

DaveHill Posted: Tue Sep 14 05:48:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  and congrats in advance of course!

casper Posted: Tue Sep 14 09:21:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i would host you but i would feel bad sticking you in New Mexico :)

FN Posted: Tue Sep 14 10:36:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Be carefull that the guy who hosts doesn't expect some sort of payment and like...

steals your candy and stuff.

libra Posted: Tue Sep 14 11:34:20 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It'd be cool if you could come here, I won't be here, so you'd be a replacement daughter or something...but you'd kill my brother cause he's annoying and my parents have never been too excited about the exchange student idea.

casper Posted: Tue Sep 14 11:37:13 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  when i was younger my parents had an exchange student from spain for a year. we are still in contact with her. it was really interesting seeing the clash between true spaniards and the predominantly mexican background that new mexico has.

Christian Posted: Tue Sep 14 11:47:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey there,
I'm in Canada, so sorry 'bout that, but good luck! :-)

YearnToWander Posted: Tue Sep 14 12:24:00 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I have some friends who take in exchange students in Ohio. They don't have any kids of their own. Very nice people. But unfortunately for you, they usualy take boys from Germany.

Posted: Tue Sep 14 14:12:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Canada.
though, by this time next year, I'll probably be living in the Detroit area; so mayhaps.

Christian Posted: Tue Sep 14 14:46:04 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey dude,
what part of Canada?

FN Posted: Tue Sep 14 15:12:01 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hey saint, I'm thinking of taking a philosiphy course (althought I'll probably go for economic history, but want to check out all the options).

Is it basicly all about memorising with other people said about trees falling in the woods and stuff or is it speaking your own mind about the damned tree.

FN Posted: Tue Sep 14 15:12:22 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Xcuse the typo

erikagm Posted: Tue Sep 14 16:51:45 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  

Tsk choke.. By saying "America" you're actually referring to the whole continent, so even *I* might take you in... hehehe... I HATE those generalisations where they represent the USA as being "America"... As if they were the WHOLE continent...

sheesh...

casper Posted: Tue Sep 14 16:54:09 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  erikagm said:
>
>Tsk choke.. By saying "America" you're actually referring to the whole continent, so even *I* might take you in... hehehe... I HATE those generalisations where they represent the USA as being "America"... As if they were the WHOLE continent...
>
>sheesh...

we are not? damn americans and their lack of geographical knowledge... :)

breeze Posted: Tue Sep 14 16:59:28 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wish I could host you, but my brother and I are not really a full family, so I don't think it's gonna work.. Do you know where in the states you are going? Or is it determined by the host family location? Which country are you from ?(sorry wasn't around long enough to know).. maybe I'll be able to find you a family here in Philadelphia/NYC area.

Puck Posted: Tue Sep 14 18:09:14 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd take ya...but I don't think my fam would go for that.

Posted: Tue Sep 14 21:51:42 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christian said:
>hey dude,
>what part of Canada?

Windsor, Ontario; across the Ambassador bridge from Detroit.

6 hours to Niagara Falls, 4 hours to Toronto, 11 to Montreal, 8 to Ottawa, 2 to London, 9 to New York, 2 to Toledo, 5 to Cleveland.

Posted: Tue Sep 14 21:58:24 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>hey saint, I'm thinking of taking a philosiphy course

eh
philosophy's a fairly broad subject area. could you be a tad more specific with what sort you'd like to take?
it's like saying "i'm thinking about taking a social science". could be history, political science, geography....

but the basics typically fall like this:
-Philosophical Study (Western Philosophy, Existentialism, Ancient Greek Philo, boring old men that wore funny hats, etc, basically)

-Human Nature (study of free will, if there is such a thing, etc)
-Philosophy of Religion
-Social/Political Philosophy
-Specific Philosophers (I'm taking a course on Kant, Kierkegaard, and Hume, currently)
-Ethics and Moral Philosophy
-Argumentation and Logical Theory

Those are the basics. There are more, and more subcategories thereof, but those are the basics.

If you're looking for purely theoretical stuff, Logical Theory and Argumentation, Ethics, etc are the way to go.

for interesting stuff, go with Western Philosophy, study something you're interested in (Existentialism, Rationalism, Stoicism), etc

if you want to argue with other people and bicker about what you're positive is right, and that they're wrong, take Social Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion, or Human Nature.

*breathes back in*

choke Posted: Tue Sep 14 23:43:49 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Breeze - Im from New Zealand..

Erika I mean USA, my bad

I can go to any state, they look everywhere for families

And Christophe.. Woe be any man who tries to take my candy :P

addi Posted: Wed Sep 15 07:23:53 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:

>philosophy's a fairly broad subject area.

That was my major in college and look what it did to me...I'm a flaming liberal womanizing estrogen filled sensitive jaded optimistic agnostic.

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!

Q:If a tree falls on a furry beaver in a forest does it make a sound if no one is there to hear it?

A: Yes.
"OUCH! SHIT!! Fuckin' tree!"

antartica Posted: Wed Sep 15 13:32:29 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Q:If a tree falls on a furry beaver in a forest does it make a sound if no one is there to hear it?
>
>A: Yes.
> "OUCH! Fuckin' tree!" is that my SHIT!! ??
>
>

eh???

Ahriman Posted: Wed Sep 15 16:29:18 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  We just had an exchange student stay at my cousins place last year. She was from Germany. I'm in New York.

Mesh Posted: Thu Sep 16 03:34:57 2004 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I like your picture Ahriman.

Mouse Posted: Fri Jan 21 23:38:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So choke, what's the deal with this? Any new info on where you might be?

Mesh Posted: Mon Mar 27 20:03:14 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Can you believe this was 18 months ago already?

I hate how time goes by so quickly.

Mouse Posted: Mon Mar 27 20:54:45 2006 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And I still haven't made plans to roadtrip that way. Sheesh.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]