Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Fact or Fiction?
jennemmer Posted: Mon Jan 31 18:11:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm looking for some clarification from those of you who live closer to Germany and are more likely to be able to credit/discredit this story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/01/30/wgerm30.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/01/30/ixworld.html

From the main page the telegraph.co.uk site looks pretty credible...

Asswipe Posted: Mon Jan 31 23:09:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jeez, forced prostitution... umm, heh, okay.

Aeon Posted: Mon Jan 31 23:35:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Next thing you know they'll be forcing us to use their services.

I can only hope...

breeze Posted: Tue Feb 1 00:40:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm, I heard of people stealing women from poor regions and forcing them to work as prostitutes in other countries, but seeing government doing something similar is scary.

DaveHill Posted: Tue Feb 1 03:47:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Fact. Holland is next door to Germany, so I know :P

Something similar was in the news a while ago, the outcome of that case was predictable : due to the massive media coverage, the woman received numerous job offers and therefore didn't have to sell her body. However, the law still stands unchanged. Or i just haven't read about it being changed :)

Mesh Posted: Tue Feb 1 09:59:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've read about this crap before.

jennemmer Posted: Tue Feb 1 11:08:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DaveHill said:
>Fact. Holland is next door to Germany, so I know :P

It's funny which news makes it over the ocean and in what form. Anything big involving the possible spin of terrorism or war is reported instantly. Day to day living and public relations stories don't usually and if they do they tend to be really overdone or have a real obvious shock oriented spin. "Sell yourself or starve" seemed pretty shock oriented.

FN Posted: Tue Feb 1 11:33:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I seriously doubt that her unemployment money will get reduced because of it.

The fact that it would be legal to cut it doesn't mean that it will be cut.

I don't really see the relevance of the whole thing. I think it's ok to ask them if they want to go in the sexindustry, it's just a question like another one.

And if she refuses on moral grounds, I don't think anybody will make a big problem out of that.

erikagm Posted: Sat Feb 5 18:44:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>And if she refuses on moral grounds, I don't think anybody will make a big problem out of that.

You should have read the whole article Cristophe...

"The new regulations say that working in the sex industry is not immoral any more, and so jobs cannot be turned down without a risk to benefits."

Sheesh.

FN Posted: Sat Feb 5 21:22:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This is Europe. It's not because it's in the law that you have to take things as strictly.

They probably put the law there to stop the people in the sex industry bitching about it, but that doesn't mean that the law will actively be applied, so everybody's happy.

ifihadahif Posted: Sat Feb 5 22:14:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>This is Europe. It's not because it's in the law that you have to take things as strictly.
>
>They probably put the law there to stop the people in the sex industry bitching about it, but that doesn't mean that the law will actively be applied, so everybody's happy.
>
So the law can be applied selectively in Europe ?
As I read the article, working in the sex industry is considered gainful employment just as waiting tables or working in a factory. So refusing to take an job offer from said employer should result in discontined benefits.

Silentmind Posted: Sun Feb 6 02:07:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think the point that Christophe is trying to make is that, in Europe, the laws are used in the spirit of the law, as opposed to the letter of the law. The law of common sense.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]