Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Animal Testing
libra Posted: Sun Mar 6 14:14:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I wanted to sort of clarify why I, an environmentalist/animal lover, said that I am not against animal testing in the poll...and see what you guys think about the issue.

I'm against animal testing when it's about things like shampoo, makeup, etc.

But when it comes to finding out about cures to diseases, I have to say that we should, within reason and always with the best of care to the animals being used. It makes me really really sad though, to see chimpanzees and monkeys used for testing because of their intelligence, and because of how close to extinction so many of them are.

beetlebum Posted: Sun Mar 6 16:43:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I agree- animals shouldn't be used for stupid things like cosmetic testing, and that we should use them for testing cures for human diseases.

But I can't figure out how to argue that point ethically without getting myself into trouble. What makes it okay to harm (or genetically alter) an animal because it'll help us improve medical treatments (but not do it when it won't)? I guess because we're superior some how. But if it's okay to hurt them in one circumstance because "we're better" why is it not okay to hurt them in another? They don't care if their life is helping mankind- it's all the same to them.

Anyway, I guess I just don't see the problem with using animals in general. I have no problem with those who eat them, either. (except for cats and dogs- but that's completely irrational on my part :o)

addi Posted: Sun Mar 6 17:13:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>I have no problem with those who eat them, either. (except for cats and dogs)

and lobsters.
I cried during that episode on the Simpsons when Homer had Pinchy, a pet lobster. He accidently gave it a bath in very hot water and cooked him. He ate poor Pinchy, but he was crying the whole time.

: (

Posted: Sun Mar 6 17:32:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
> in the poll

wait wait wait
there's a poll?
I haven't seen the right-side-bar in like 2 weeks. I thought it was just gone.

Firefox + WinXP.

Mesh Posted: Sun Mar 6 17:39:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm against it because it takes away from the possibilty of human pain and suffering and untimely death.

No seriously, I am for it in most instances, except cosmetics.

FN Posted: Sun Mar 6 18:19:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  It's a dangerous subject.

When it comes to cosmetics, the answer is pretty obvious.

With cures and stuff, the solution is a bit harder.

In the end, I do believe in human superiority over other animals. Not because of any religious believes or whatever, but just because we can do it.

I don't know how you can ever really justify intentionally inflicting pain on a conscious being though.

Yet I do know that if it could save me or anybody that matters to me, I wouldn't have to think twice, and let's face it, untill millions of people offer themselves up to undergo the tests which sometimes can't be avoided to cause pain, it'll have to happen with animals.

webmaster Posted: Mon Mar 7 00:39:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>wait wait wait
>there's a poll?
>I haven't seen the right-side-bar in like 2 weeks. I thought it was just gone.
>
>Firefox + WinXP.

No, I am the culprit. The poll and the other stuff on the left now only appears in the main forum page. Supposedly, the server nearly crashed again last week due to the forum and I'm trying to lighten the load. Am trying to avoid converting old topics to status HTML, but I think that might be the only solution...

Mesh Posted: Mon Mar 7 02:01:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The solution is for Mesh to stop posting.

Done and done.

iggy Posted: Mon Mar 7 10:22:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  it's funny how people are against animal testing and yet able to wolf down burgers and steaks...

one less sin don't make u a saint...

addi Posted: Mon Mar 7 10:57:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  webmaster said:

>Supposedly, the server nearly crashed again last week due to the forum and I'm trying to lighten the load.

JQ,
If there's anything we can do as posters to help lighten the load please tell us. For example, I know from your red letter request on replying to a post that limiting the text helps save bandwith consumption. If there's anything else that helps at all do let us know.

addi Posted: Tue Mar 8 07:18:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>The solution is for Mesh to stop posting.

I hope this was only a joke.

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 11:19:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  At a convention of biologists, one researcher remarks to another,

"Do you know that in our lab, we've switched from mice to lawyers in our experiments?"

"Really!?" the other replied, "Why did you switch?"

"Well, for three reasons. First we found that lawyers are more plentiful. Second, the lab assistants don't get attached to them. And thirdly, there are some things even a rat won't do"

"However, sometimes it's very difficult to transfer out test results to human beings."

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]