Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

My next tattoo...
Posted: Mon Mar 7 23:14:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  make your vote! right shoulder, either:

1) http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8361/dyl.gif
2) http://www.monh.org/exhibits/icon/dylan.jpg
3) http://www.peterfetterman.com/images/artists/rockandroll/Dylan_color.jpg

this'll be tattoo #4 for me, from Bee Sting, this guy does excellent work. check him out here: http://beestingtattoo.com/

antartica Posted: Mon Mar 7 23:27:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  numero uno...

misszero Posted: Tue Mar 8 00:45:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i love them all (*is whistling the fiddle solos from hurricane as she types* desire on vinyl, yay) but number 1 is one of MY favourite pictures of dylan. so you should definately get it coz I like it so much. hehe. although number three is so endearing.... my god, can i marry you after you get this tattoo? i love bob dylan so much. LOVE.

Asswipe Posted: Tue Mar 8 00:48:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you're planning on tattooing the image of a man onto your body, are you serious?

How 'bout a symbol representing him or an image/idea from some of his work? or even a caricature. guitar on his lap, harmonica around the neck, some jangly bells on his ankle and maybe a cloud of lyrics coming from his mouth. but cartooned... you can make the setting really something also. i'd slap him on stage in front of a sea of faces all expressionless and glum. i'd liek to see a pic of all that squeezed onto your arm.

the only time i've seen an image of a real person tattoo'd on another is on Stevo, from MTV's Jackass, who has the image of himself with two thumbs up and a dumb grin on his face. almost life-sizedtoo and on his back.

what about just printing out one of those pictures and keeping it snug and warm in your wallet? or how 'bout a nice poster?

if you're dead set on it though, the one that'd least make me think you're a douche bag would be the one Ant picked out. The 2nd looks like a high school photo and the third is cool but picturing it as a tattoo ain't working for me. There are too many vivid colors, although that might work cool, but you gotta keep the blue sky and laquered brown shine of the guitar, which i imagine don't transfer to skin print too well. plus you'd still have a guy smiling on your shoulder.

Posted: Tue Mar 8 00:54:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>you're planning on tattooing the image of a man onto your body, are you serious?
>
>How 'bout a symbol representing him or an image/idea from some of his work?

See, this is the problem. Dylan's portrait is his Icon, there really isn't anything else.

If we were talking about Prince, this would be easy. He's got the symbol.

If this was Metallica, this would be easy. They have a distinct logo and letterring style in their name.

Dylan's got nothing but his portraits and his lyrics.

Asswipe Posted: Tue Mar 8 01:01:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Asswipe said:
>>you're planning on tattooing the image of a man onto your body, are you serious?
>>
>>How 'bout a symbol representing him or an image/idea from some of his work?
>
>See, this is the problem. Dylan's portrait is his Icon, there really isn't anything else.
>
>If we were talking about Prince, this would be easy. He's got the symbol.
>
>If this was Metallica, this would be easy. They have a distinct logo and letterring style in their name.
>
>Dylan's got nothing but his portraits and his lyrics.

within the lyrics, there be the symbols.

and what about a caricature?

breeze Posted: Tue Mar 8 01:03:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  definately the first one. the second one I dun like, on thr third one it might be difficult to tell it's him.

Posted: Tue Mar 8 01:07:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>and what about a caricature?

The only ones I've found (2 of them) wouldn't translate well to tattoo.

Also, let's let this be a forum for any possible tattoo ideas you guys happen to think are cool; I'm always looking for ideas (pics are appreciated); not necessarily Dylan related. I've long been looking for a cool piano looking one, or any bluesy music looking tattoo.

libra Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:08:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yah, i'd go with the first one...but maybe kind of simplify it or something to make it look less photographic and more icon-like or something...

beetlebum Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:25:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  christ. bob dylan was so hot. even in his old age, he still is.

the first one would be hard to do because the entire right side of the face is black. the photo is cool, but the tattoo wouldn't look great, i don't think. one side would just be entirely filled in, and even the eye on the left side isn't detailed enough. you'd definitely need to do something with it, if you go ahead with that one.

good luck. :o)

beetlebum Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:32:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>this'll be tattoo #4 for me, from Bee Sting, this guy does excellent work. check him out here: http://beestingtattoo.com/

you've probably already posted this somewhere, but what are your other three?

sweet p Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:33:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I also agree that out of the 3 options, the first is better.

If you get that one though, I assume you will just be using black and your skin as the contrasting colour. The right side of the entire tatoo will be a whole lot of black. That might look kinda funny if you have all the detailing on the other side of the tattoo.

I really like stencil art...you know, the kind you mostly see in graffiti. You like graphics and stuff don't you? So why not experimenting and trying to make a stencil version of ol Bob's face. That might look pretty cool if you can do it right. Then all the black on the right side of the face will look normal.

sweet p Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:34:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah, what Beetlebum said...

You beat me to it!

Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:47:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Left Shoulder: http://contrakarma.com/new%20old/Image274.jpg

Left Chest: http://contrakarma.com/new%20old/Image278.jpg

Right Chest: http://contrakarma.com/new%20old/Image279.jpg

jennemmer Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:52:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I know a guy who has over 100 digits of pi tattoed as an armband around his left bicep... I'm still trying to decide if I secretly find that cool or if that is too geeky even for me...

beetlebum Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:55:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:
>I know a guy who has over 100 digits of pi tattoed as an armband around his left bicep... I'm still trying to decide if I secretly find that cool or if that is too geeky even for me...

definitely cool. like, napoleon dynamite cool. girn.

jennemmer Posted: Tue Mar 8 02:59:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>jennemmer said:
>>I know a guy who has over 100 digits of pi tattoed as an armband around his left bicep... I'm still trying to decide if I secretly find that cool or if that is too geeky even for me...
>
>definitely cool. like, napoleon dynamite cool. girn.

*whew* <-sigh of relief. So I'm not as crazy as I'd worried (and at least if I am I'm in good company ;)

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:04:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  like what asswipe said.

how about instead of his portait. mebbe some graphic design that could be immediately and typically associated with BD?

Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:05:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  way too geeky.

I've seen somebody have "Your" tattooed on when it should have been "You're". and it wasn't even on a concealed part (it was on the back of the neck); now THAT is bad.

I believe it was the lyrics from a goo goo dolls song; "You bleed just to know you're alive". She'll regret it for the rest of her life! but, for now, I can laugh at her.

Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:06:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:
>like what asswipe said.
>
>how about instead of his portait. mebbe some graphic design that could be immediately and typically associated with BD?
>

My biggest problem though, is that I can't think of any graphic that is at all iconic of Dylan. Nothing comes to mind but Portrait and Lyrics.

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:07:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>My biggest problem though, is that I can't think of any graphic that is at all iconic of Dylan. Nothing comes to mind but Portrait and Lyrics.

tabalature?

beetlebum Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:10:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>way too geeky.
>
ha! that coming from a man who has "existential" permanently tattooed on his arm? i daresay that if that guy is maths geeky, you are philosophy geeky. so. there. *sticks tongue out and runs away like a wimp*

(that said, one of the coolest people i've ever met, jeffrey dazey, has neitzsche's face on one side of his back, and jesus' face on the other. and they're staring one another down rather brutally. brilliant.)

beetlebum Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:21:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  there's the highway 61 revisted road sign thing, the bob dylan eye logo (that's kinda cool? maybe?)
and on one of his fan tshirts there's a weathervane with the quote "you don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows."

FN Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:29:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I haven't read any other posts yet, but are you seriously even considering getting somebody else's image carved into your flesh?

Talk about submission and being a fanboy...

Posted: Tue Mar 8 03:45:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Chris, what I want to get is something symbolic or iconic of Dylan.

The idea of this thread, in the later posts, has been in trying to figure out how to do that without use of his portrait (which has been his main icon, in my opinion).

I've gotten a few good ideas, though.

Anyway, it certainly doesn't involve being a "fanboy" or submitting to anything. I'd call this no different than wearing a t-shirt that said "I (heart) Techno" (permanence notwithstanding).

getting this tattoo would make me no more a fanboy of Dylan, than my existential tattoo would make me a fanboy of, say, Sartre, or Kierkegaard.

novemberrain Posted: Tue Mar 8 06:03:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I haven't read any other posts yet, but are you seriously even considering getting somebody else's image carved into your flesh?

If you realy want to talk about getting something carved into your flesh...

http://www.bmezine.com/scar/bme-scar.html

novemberrain Posted: Tue Mar 8 06:12:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My youngest brother is going to get a tattoo for his 18th birthday. If I have the money I may get inked again as well.

ps I am up waaaaaay too early

addi Posted: Tue Mar 8 07:02:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Forget Dylan, Criminal. As long as you're considering putting a guy on your body do one of Ludwig. Chicks dig him.

FN Posted: Tue Mar 8 11:24:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Whatever the case might be, I don't really see the use, let alone reason or logic thought behind tattoos of any kind, especially when they're not inspired on something you yourself actually created or came up with, and when you take it to actual portraits of other people that's taking it more than 1 step too far.

Ofcourse, it's your body, you're free to screw it up as you please.

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 11:32:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  well chris. juz coz you dun suscribe to that thought, i dun see why you are so strongly against those of us who do

FN Posted: Tue Mar 8 13:19:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm not against people who have tattoos, see last line.

iggy Posted: Tue Mar 8 14:30:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i dun think i screwed up my body with my tattoos.
my tattoos remind me of who i am.
what means the most to me.
and noone else has the same as mine.

u love blowjobs
i love ink on skin

u love techno
i love pain

it's your view i understand my good friend :)

and i know a lot of people that frown on my tatts.

good reading material... go look at the ancient culture and meaing behind polynesians and maori tattoos.

libra Posted: Tue Mar 8 15:03:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I really don't mind, and usually like, tattoos that people put a lot of thought and consideration into, and are sure that the meanings will be important to them throughout their lives.

I hate it when girls go out and get hibiscus flowers and butterflies on their ankles, lower back, or on the inside of their hip. (Sorry if any of you have those)

novemberrain Posted: Tue Mar 8 15:16:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Whatever the case might be, I don't really see the use, let alone reason or logic thought behind tattoos of any kind, especially when they're not inspired on something you yourself actually created or came up with, and when you take it to actual portraits of other people that's taking it more than 1 step too far.

What about portraits of family members? example: David Wells, professional baseball player, has at least one portrait of his child(ren) on his arm.

Posted: Tue Mar 8 17:51:14 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:
>David Wells, professional baseball player

That's a name we're not allowed to say in Detroit.

I think the city government and Illich corp. are probably tracking this message right now!

The Wells trade was a scam!

misszero Posted: Tue Mar 8 18:17:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  see, i was thinking about getting a kid a tattoo, even though i didn't create it or whatever, but i can't even explain exactly what that album means to me. that sounds so corny, but what i'm trying to get at is that the personal associations i have with that album are important to me, and will be until i die. it got played a lot during an important time in my growth as a person, when i jumped about 5 steps up the self actualisation pyramid (heh). it still is played a lot when i'm spending time with the people i've adopted as my family - people who will be in my life in some way shape or form until its over. its not the album/symbols themselves, but what they mean TO ME. Meaning is not in things, but in between them.

novemberrain Posted: Tue Mar 8 18:55:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>novemberrain said:
>>David Wells, professional baseball player
>
>That's a name we're not allowed to say in Detroit.
>
>I think the city government and Illich corp. are probably tracking this message right now!
>
>The Wells trade was a scam!

I used to like him. But he's become an asshole in recent years.

And a red sox.

'nuff said.

Mesh Posted: Tue Mar 8 20:21:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  im going to get an iron cross with a skull in the middle with SDMF around it.

This. http://www.rockmerch.com/images/BLS24sm.jpg

On my right bicep.

FN Posted: Tue Mar 8 20:33:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The people of Wisconsin will be proud of you, Mesh.

http://www.sdmf.k12.wi.us/

Mesh Posted: Tue Mar 8 20:35:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Strenth
Determination
Merciless
Forever

Motto of the Black Label Society.

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Mar 8 21:14:33 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Strenth
>Determination
>Merciless
>Forever
>
>
>Motto of the Black Label Society.
>
I used to drink Black Label beer.

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 21:27:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>meshuggah said:

>>Motto of the Black Label Society.
>>
>I used to drink Black Label beer.

i used to drink Black Label Scotch

antartica Posted: Tue Mar 8 21:28:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I'm not against people who have tattoos, see last line.

cool...
but unfortunately, yes i say unfortunately, ink on skin IS ADDICTIVE...

but definitely no regrets... =)

Posted: Wed Mar 9 00:30:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  okay
so, guys, I'm officially against getting the Dylan portraiture done.

any other ideas? images or thoughts?

antartica Posted: Wed Mar 9 00:40:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  tattoo just "GT"

iggy Posted: Wed Mar 9 01:29:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>okay
>so, guys, I'm officially against getting the Dylan portraiture done.
>
>any other ideas? images or thoughts?

why off the dylan portrait?
dude, tattoos are personal man... do what u feel is best for ur canvas :)

FN Posted: Wed Mar 9 05:25:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>okay
>so, guys, I'm officially against getting the Dylan portraiture done.

See, this is what I mean. (nothing personal towards you though crim, it's just that you're the one it's about in this case)

At first you might be enthousiastic about it and think you found the expression/symbol/picture/... of a lifetime and you think your views on it will never change.

But one day you do grow tired of it, you see something which you would have liked more, or somebody attaches an explanation or meaning to it that you hadn't thought about before, but which screws it up for you now that you heard about it.

Ofcourse, you'll have people who say it won't happen to them and whatever, you're not at the end of your life yet either boys and girls. And if you do live with it without regret, that much the better for you.

From a personal point of view, a tattoo is something a rational person doesn't get.

But like I said, to avoid any confusion, it's your body, if you feel like amputating your legs as a form of art, it's all the same to me as far as I care, do what you want with it.

But truth be told, I do hope that it gets a little bit infected.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Mar 9 06:07:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>
>
>From a personal point of view, a tattoo is something a rational person doesn't get.

I disagree. I have two; both are well-hidden, and I'm really happy with both of them. (and no, libra, neither of them are on my hip bone or ankle or involve butterflies or equally stereotypically girly things. grin.) You're right, I haven't seen 80 years old to know if I really regret getting tattoos. On the other side of the token, though, is the fact that I think regret is a waste of time.
More importantly than that, both of my tattoos have great significance to me. Who cares if someone misinterprets them? Honestly. It isn't as though I'd suddenly grow distraught over it-- that comment (re: what if someone interprets the tattoo incorrectly thereby inducing a bad case of self-doubt and regret) coming from someone who seems to be extremely self-confident? How ironic. :o) As with anything else in my life, I don't really care what other people think. If someone happened to see my tattoo and made some asinine comment, I'd just turn around and say, "You're a focker. Get out of my face." I don't think I'd then mope about and regret the tattoo. I'd hope that they'd regret the fact that they're a loser. Grin.
On top the that, the experiences of getting both of them are also really important to me. Even if I regretted the tattoo, the power of the memory involved in getting both would relegate any regret to the rubbish bin.
Finally, I'd like to make the rather ridiculous (but true) observation that I know people who do more damage to their epidermis by staying out in the sun too long.

addi Posted: Wed Mar 9 07:04:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>I know people who do more damage to their epidermis by staying out in the sun too long.

Precisely why i don't go to nude beaches. Nothing worse than a burnt epidermis.

I understand where Christophe is coming from. I don't have any tatoos and at this point in my life will most likely never get one. It's nothing more than a personal preference though, and a fear of needles.
I've seen tatoos on people that look really ugly, and I've seen ones that i think are really cool.
I've seen people with no tatoos that look really ugly, and i've seen people without tatoos that are really beautiful.
Bottom line....personal choice, it's your bod. My only strong opinion is that if you decide to get one think about it seriously, cuz that single decision will be with you for the rest of your life.

*If i ever got one it would say "Baaaaa" on my right butt cheek

FN Posted: Wed Mar 9 08:04:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>On the other side of the token, though, is the fact that I think regret is a waste of time.

I'm having a hard time buying that.

>It isn't as though I'd suddenly grow distraught over it-- that comment (re: what if someone interprets the tattoo incorrectly thereby inducing a bad case of self-doubt and regret) coming from someone who seems to be extremely self-confident?

I think you misunderstood me a bit on this one.

Let's say you don't know the nazi connotation of the swastika and decide to get a tattoo of it because of the fact that you know that it means "superlative", "power",... and the term is derived from the Sanskrit for "to be good".

And then you find out the connotation it has to other people.

Are you saying that you wouldn't mind? And that if I should get a tattoo that I should get a swastika across my back?

>Finally, I'd like to make the rather ridiculous (but true) observation that I know people who do more damage to their epidermis by staying out in the sun too long.

I think we can both agree that unnecessarily baking in the sun and putting ink in your skin both are things it isn't meant for.

FN Posted: Wed Mar 9 08:10:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  novemberrain said:
>What about portraits of family members?

Same thing.

sweet p Posted: Wed Mar 9 16:29:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>From a personal point of view, a tattoo is something a rational person doesn't get.

I see your point in most of your comments and agree with some as well. But it isn't true that rational people don't get tattoos.

My mother has a tatoo and she got it when she was much older [way after I was even born]. My uncle has the same one. They designed it themselves and it holds a profound meaning to them. It has become more a "family tatoo" and my aunt is thinking of getting it as well. My mother wasn't going through a mid-life crisis or anything when she decided to get it and she doesn't regret it thus far.
Some families have family crest, some have family rings, etc.

Of course this is just an example, but I think there are a lot of people with tattoos that associate great meaning with them and for whom that meaning cannot change easily.

But ew, as for the portraits of family members...my neighbour has the faces of all three of his children along his bicep and these tattoos are HIDEOUS. I saw him topless in the garage one day and I thought he was seriously bruised. I walked over looking horrified and then when I saw what it was, I think my facial expression turned worse. I felt so bad. : (

Asswipe Posted: Wed Mar 9 18:51:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>At first you might be enthousiastic about it and think you found the expression/symbol/picture/... of a lifetime and you think your views on it will never change.
>
>But one day you do grow tired of it, you see something which you would have liked more,

then you get another one.

the cool thing about 'em, and it sort of makes me want to require myself to get a new one every couple years thinking this now, is that, although your view on life may change, you can always use the tatoos, if you think carefully about your reasons for getting them, to remind you of who you were and why you chose to draw whatever image on yourself. so maybe crim won't view dylan in the same prestige one day down the line, although he probably will, he can look back and say, "this reminds me of when i still had hope for the future" or whatever!

iggy Posted: Wed Mar 9 21:52:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i have a family tattoo...

antartica Posted: Thu Mar 10 01:13:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chanz said:
>i have a family tattoo...
>
>

amen... but is incomplete... both the tattoo and The Family... *sigh*

antartica Posted: Mon Mar 21 12:29:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  soooo.... St.Crim, wazzit's gonna be?

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]