Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Garden State
Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Mar 14 12:53:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love that move Zach Braff is awesomely dweeby and cute! The plot line was excellent.

Mouse Posted: Mon Mar 14 12:57:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>I love that move Zach Braff is awesomely dweeby and cute! The plot line was excellent.

*reflects on the thread 'Saved'*
I think I see a trend. ;P

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Mar 14 12:59:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mouse said:
>*reflects on the thread 'Saved'*
>I think I see a trend. ;P

No! no you don't

Asswipe Posted: Mon Mar 14 13:20:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  eh! i enjoyed the movie, a lot more the first time than the second when i realized it really was just a cheezy romance story and they used music entirely way too much to push the mood.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Mar 14 13:42:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  *gasp!* no it's not a cheezy romance. Sadly mistaken Asswipe

Posted: Mon Mar 14 14:21:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I thought the soundtrack was grandtastic.

libra Posted: Mon Mar 14 16:52:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love that movie so so so so much. Hence the avatar.
The soundtrack is amazing, the movie was great. It meant a lot to me.

libra Posted: Mon Mar 14 16:53:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>they used music entirely way too much to push the mood.

but isn't that what music does no matter whether you're in a movie or in real life? I can think back to situations in my life in which a certain song was playing and see so well how that song affected and bettered everything else.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 14 17:15:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Which specific tracks would that be.

Posted: Mon Mar 14 18:12:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  The Shins - New Slang

best song on the soundtrack.

FN Posted: Mon Mar 14 18:24:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Any more recommendations?

Always welcome

FN Posted: Mon Mar 14 18:37:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  That song sucked though, if that's the best the soundtrack has to offer I wonder what "bad" is to you lol.

The only thing I liked about it was:

Dawn breaks like a bull through the hall,
Never should have called
But my head's to the wall and i'm lonely.

The rest is garbage, sung in an "emotional" way to make it all sound deep and meaningful, but unless I'm really missing something, which I doubt, it's not.

Oh yeah, and I haven't seen any pictures of the guy who sings it, but I'm pretty sure he needs a haircut.

sweet p Posted: Mon Mar 14 18:44:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>eh! i enjoyed the movie, a lot more the first time than the second

That happened to me too.
Except I feel like the difference between the first and second was so large I couldn't believe it.

I still like the movie but it just wasn't the same the second time around :(

The Shins are a wonderful band.
Zach Braff seems like a cool guy in real life.
Natalie Portman is pretty. [But when you are first introduced to her character you are afraid that she is going to be annoying for the rest of the movie and then it turns out to be ok.]

I like when they scream in the rain. Everyone should try that sometime.

DanSRose Posted: Mon Mar 14 20:57:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  My favorite movie of late

Posted: Mon Mar 14 22:34:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>The rest is garbage

what about,
"gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth, only I don't know how they got out, dear"

good lyricism, if you ask me. Try to hold it against any song whatsoever that's played popular on american radio these days.

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Mar 14 23:12:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Garden State soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a while. Haven't seen the movie.

My favorite track has to be Let Go by Frou Frou. I also liked Zero 7's contribution [though I like Destiny more], Thievery Corporation's, and Coldplay's among others.

Posted: Mon Mar 14 23:20:24 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd have mentionned Thievery Corporation's Lebanese Blonde for Chris (mellow trip seems more his style), but that song's been out for years and years

still, I dig.

innocenceNonus Posted: Mon Mar 14 23:32:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well, a lot of the bands featured on the track have been around for a while [as have their songs]. But the Garden State soundtrack exposed a lot of these more obscure bands to more mainstream listeners, which I can dig.

It does take away from the mystery of the music, but I'd rather my liked bands be earning money and keeping their roots than having to change their sounds to sell.

Sell outs suck : (

sweet p Posted: Mon Mar 14 23:48:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  True say.

I was happy I could finally talk to my friends about The Shins.
Now, to get tickets to their show!

Posted: Tue Mar 15 01:35:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  tickets, eh?
The Mars Volta in Detroit in May
Oasis in June
(possibly) Bob Dylan in June

Asswipe Posted: Tue Mar 15 13:40:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>*gasp!* no it's not a cheezy romance. Sadly mistaken Asswipe

oh! okay.

Asswipe Posted: Tue Mar 15 13:43:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>Asswipe said:
>>they used music entirely way too much to push the mood.
>
>but isn't that what music does no matter whether you're in a movie or in real life?

yes, but it seems they deliberately chose emotionally charged songs to add emotion to an emotionally lacking movie. if that makes sense. I wasn't pulled in as much by the plot/dialogue/characters as I was by the music. Which is lame, I could just go watch MTV cause the whole thing felt like a music video.

libra Posted: Tue Mar 15 15:12:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>libra said:
>>Asswipe said:
>>>they used music entirely way too much to push the mood.
>>
>>but isn't that what music does no matter whether you're in a movie or in real life?
>
>yes, but it seems they deliberately chose emotionally charged songs to add emotion to an emotionally lacking movie. if that makes sense. I wasn't pulled in as much by the plot/dialogue/characters as I was by the music.

I guess it depends on the viewer, because I found a lot of the dialogue to be sort of close-to-home and it was emotional for me...

innocenceNonus Posted: Tue Mar 15 19:48:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  >The Mars Volta in Detroit in May
>Oasis in June
>(possibly) Bob Dylan in June

I'm starting to get into the Mars Volta, but I've only heard a few of their songs. : ( I need to be able to get into all the bands I want to delve into without spending lots of money...

Any ideas??

Oasis is fun. Bob Dylan is too... I'd love to go to one of his shows. The funny thing is I'm only a casual listener of both.

I personally am pushing for the Muse concert coming to my area...

Any other fans of Muse??

libra Posted: Tue Mar 15 21:04:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>>The Mars Volta in Detroit in May
>>Oasis in June
>>(possibly) Bob Dylan in June
>
>I'm starting to get into the Mars Volta, but I've only heard a few of their songs. : ( I need to be able to get into all the bands I want to delve into without spending lots of money...
>
>Any ideas??

limewire.

Posted: Tue Mar 15 21:59:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  innocenceNonus said:
>>The Mars Volta in Detroit in May
>>Oasis in June
>>(possibly) Bob Dylan in June
>
>I'm starting to get into the Mars Volta, but I've only heard a few of their songs. : ( I need to be able to get into all the bands I want to delve into without spending lots of money...
>
>Any ideas??

Mars Volta albums are ridiculously inexpensive. brand new, $9CDN, $7USD.
the thing with them, though, is that they make concept albums. Pulling one song out of, say, Frances The Mute, will not be anywhere near as satisfying as hearing it in the full ensemble that makes up that particular record.

and for the price of a big mac combo, why not just snag a copy?

misszero Posted: Tue Mar 15 22:17:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:

>yes, but it seems they deliberately chose emotionally charged songs to add emotion to an emotionally lacking movie. if that makes sense. I wasn't pulled in as much by the plot/dialogue/characters as I was by the music. Which is lame, I could just go watch MTV cause the whole thing felt like a music video.

what? a movie that uses some kind of trick to lure the viewer into thinking its good? never! such a thing must surely not exist... the movie industry has much more integrity than that!

innocenceNonus Posted: Tue Mar 15 22:27:18 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>Mars Volta albums are ridiculously inexpensive. brand new, $9CDN, $7USD.
>the thing with them, though, is that they make concept albums. Pulling one song out of, say, Frances The Mute, will not be anywhere near as satisfying as hearing it in the full ensemble that makes up that particular record.
>
>and for the price of a big mac combo, why not just snag a copy?

I have a feeling that price is gonna jump. They're actually getting airplay now and are starting to become popular.

Thanks. Libra, for the Limewire hint. I'll check it out.

Mostly I've been listening to stuff from free mp3 sites like epitonic and Amazon and the like.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Mar 16 08:27:57 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>Cherry_Moon said:
>>*gasp!* no it's not a cheezy romance. Sadly mistaken Asswipe
>
>oh! okay.

*giggles*

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Mar 16 08:29:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Oh yeah, and I haven't seen any pictures of the guy who sings it, but I'm pretty sure he needs a haircut.

Wrong Chris he doesn't need a hair cut here take a peek. http://www.fireflies.nl/upload/shins.jpg

FN Posted: Wed Mar 16 08:40:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Quad erat demonstrandum.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Mar 16 12:58:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  What?

FN Posted: Wed Mar 16 13:09:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Point proven.

FN Posted: Wed Mar 16 13:10:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  proved?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Mar 16 14:29:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  proper grammer is essential Chris :p

FN Posted: Wed Mar 16 14:56:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I believe it's grammar, Cherry :p

Besides, you have no right to pick on me unless you can read/write Dutch or Flemish like I read/write English, you meany!

*runs off crying*

Mouse Posted: Wed Mar 16 15:20:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Point proven.

You were right the first time.

Mouse Posted: Wed Mar 16 15:23:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Quad erat demonstrandum.

I looked this up on some crappy online dictonary because I didn't have my Latin-English on me and it said something about a dining table. O_o
Mouse

casper Posted: Wed Mar 16 15:38:50 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  it's usually used at the end of a proof...

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Mar 17 13:32:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Besides, you have no right to pick on me unless you can read/write Dutch or Flemish like I read/write English, you meany!
>*runs off crying*

*looks concerned* poor Chris I'm so sorry I didn't know you were in a delicate emtional state.

Asswipe Posted: Sat Mar 19 05:43:56 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  misszero said:
>Asswipe said:
>
>>yes, but it seems they deliberately chose emotionally charged songs to add emotion to an emotionally lacking movie. if that makes sense. I wasn't pulled in as much by the plot/dialogue/characters as I was by the music. Which is lame, I could just go watch MTV cause the whole thing felt like a music video.
>
>what? a movie that uses some kind of trick to lure the viewer into thinking its good? never! such a thing must surely not exist... the movie industry has much more integrity than that!

some kind of trick? since when is a soundtrack some kind of trick?

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sun Mar 20 21:23:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>some kind of trick? since when is a soundtrack some kind of trick?

You too Asswipe! You've been doped into thinking the soundtrack was something that is part of a movie. Shame on you that is just a conspiracy.

Mesh Posted: Fri Apr 1 05:28:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  One time, I thought I had seen this movie. Turns out, I was just looking at the spot outside where the dog had taken a shit.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]