Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Go Teachers !
ifihadahif Posted: Wed Mar 16 18:45:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE TEACHERS:

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One
man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He
argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher? He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers:
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
To stress his point he said to another guest; you're a teacher, Susan.
Be honest. What do you make?
Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, you
want to know what I make?
I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.
You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder. I make them question.
I make them criticize. I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts
in English.
I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your
heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you
must pay no attention because they just didn't learn.
Susan paused and then continued. You want to know what I make?

"I MAKE A DIFFERENCE." What do you make?

addi Posted: Wed Mar 16 19:15:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  : )

The work was sometimes thankless, the parents difficult, the administration clueless, and the pay way too low.

Last week I bumped into one of my former students i taught in 1st grade, and she is now an 8th grader. she ran up to me at the resturant and gave me a big hug and began retelling her memories of things i did in class that I had totally forgotten about. she told me i was her favorite elementary teacher. Things like that I miss. Things like that can make up for all the negative crap you go through teaching.

choke Posted: Thu Mar 17 01:52:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>: )
>
>The work was sometimes thankless, the parents difficult, the administration clueless, and the pay way too low.
>
>Last week I bumped into one of my former students i taught in 1st grade, and she is now an 8th grader. she ran up to me at the resturant and gave me a big hug and began retelling her memories of things i did in class that I had totally forgotten about. she told me i was her favorite elementary teacher. Things like that I miss. Things like that can make up for all the negative crap you go through teaching.

I can imagine you would have been a good teacher :)

addi Posted: Thu Mar 17 07:05:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:

>I can imagine you would have been a good teacher :)

Thank you, choke
I can imagine you would have been a very "interesting" child to teach back in the day : )

webmaster Posted: Thu Mar 17 12:23:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  choke said:
>I can imagine you would have been a good teacher :)

I can too, and would have loved to be your student. Are you more a Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society or a Kevin Kline in The Emperor's Club?

iggy Posted: Thu Mar 17 12:58:23 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  whoopi goldberg in sister act 2?

addi Posted: Thu Mar 17 13:29:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chan said:
>whoopi goldberg in sister act 2?

LOL!
Chan...why i oughta!!

webmaster said:
>Are you more a Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society or a Kevin Kline in The Emperor's Club?

thanks JQ : )
I wish I could say both, but it's more accurate to say neither probably.

The problem i had was that I was always working with 'lil ones...My normal humor went right over there heads, god bless 'em. So I'd have to get down to their level and just get goofy...dance, play silly songs on the guitar, and do weird stuff.
When they started to take advantage of me i'd just look them in the eye and give them my serious evil look. That usually worked...if i could keep myself from bursting out in laughter. It would make some of them start crying.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Mar 17 13:40:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm unabashedly in love with my history teacher though I'm not taking any classes from him this year we hang and talk for hours on end. He is an amazing teacher. I loved taking classes from him and he truely inspired me to have fun learning history. Teachers can be wonderful but not all not all make a difference in fact I know of two who are pretty bad. There's the infamous biology teacher who is late and underprepared. And the English teacher who while very knowledgeable can't teach others about her knowledge which is VERY important if you are a TEACHER you TEACH! but on the whole I'm a dweeby bookworm who loves going to class and listening to my teachers with the exception of my English teacher who is depressing and annoying. . . .

iggy Posted: Thu Mar 17 13:57:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>chan said:
>>whoopi goldberg in sister act 2?
>
>LOL!
>Chan...why i oughta!!
>
>webmaster said:
>>Are you more a Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society or a Kevin Kline in The Emperor's Club?
>
>thanks JQ : )
>I wish I could say both, but it's more accurate to say neither probably.

i still stand by my post abt whoopi goldberg

sweet p Posted: Thu Mar 17 14:02:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  chan said:
>whoopi goldberg in sister act 2?

Ack!
I really don't like either of the Sister Act movies...and Whoppi makes me want to go to sleep and never wake up.

FN Posted: Thu Mar 17 14:13:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>I'm unabashedly in love with my history teacher though I'm not taking any classes from him this year we hang and talk for hours on end. He is an amazing teacher.

I'm sure you'd like to take more than just his classes from him.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Thu Mar 17 14:49:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I'm sure you'd like to take more than just his classes from him.

hahaha *gag* no I wouldn't his mid-40's, married, and unattractive *shivers in disgust* the thought never crossed my mind even for a second

antartica Posted: Thu Mar 17 23:00:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>chan said:
>
>LOL!
>Chan...why i oughta!!

thats detention for ya Boyo!

>The problem i had was that I was always working with 'lil ones...My normal humor went right over there heads, god bless 'em. So I'd have to get down to their level and just get goofy...dance, play silly songs on the guitar, and do weird stuff.
>When they started to take advantage of me i'd just look them in the eye and give them my serious evil look. That usually worked...if i could keep myself from bursting out in laughter. It would make some of them start crying.
>: )

tt explains everything.... :P

but hey... i wished i was in your class... =)

mat_j Posted: Sun Mar 20 12:41:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>chan said:
>
>LOL!
>Chan...why i oughta!!
>
>webmaster said:
>>Are you more a Robin Williams in Dead Poet's Society or a Kevin Kline in The Emperor's Club?
>
I imagine you to be more of a Bob Ross/Paul Simon kinda guy

addi Posted: Sun Mar 20 13:56:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  mat_j said:

>I imagine you to be more of a Bob Ross/Paul Simon kinda guy

well i hope you're happy. I'm crying now, and my makeup is totally shot and running down my face. You hateful welshman!

*i'd like simon's money though

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]