Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Saturday in Cardiff: a grand slam victory tale
mat_j Posted: Sun Mar 20 12:05:07 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hello everyone long time no see.

Everything’s been crazy here this weekend as Wales has won the Rugby 6 nations grand slam yesterday beating Ireland 32 - 20. Whooohoo!!!! It's been 27 years since the last time and to be fair this little principality rarely delivers the goods on its national sport.

For myself the game was viewed not from some crammed full bar but Cardiff premier (only) sushi restaurant who a eagle eyed friend of mine had managed to acquire a £25 super day pass that allowed us all you can eat sushi and all you can drink sake and a free flute of Moet champagne for the after game match.

Naturally we aimed to make the place bankrupt, luckily the Sushi there is a little pricey so along with nine flasks of sake and the rough cost of the champagne (small bottle around £10.90) and some cokes when the sushi madness set in, three of us managed to rack up an imaginary bill of £250.00. The restaurant owners stood by helpless as every time we left we returned a few minutes from an inevitable cigarette break.

During the game itself the sushi stopped but we continued with the drinking, taking a shot of warm sake for every favourable event. Unfortunately our sake supply ran so low during the second half we had to cut to half measures until they started serving it again but we'd been over celebrating the first half drinking not only to prop Gethin Jenkins try and the amazing penalty from Gavin Henson, but also randomly to the British soldier who recently won the Victoria cross in Iraq for bravery above and beyond the call of duty.

As the final whistle blew laying to rest the nail biting last 15 minutes (It was still possible for Ireland to win on points) we undid our belts and relaxed The battle for Sushi bay had ended and the battle for Cardiff was about to begin.

Cardiff is probably the only city in the world 72,500 seater stadium slap bang in the city centre with no provisions for getting that big a crowd into town apart from our 2 puny train stations and one bus depot. It also has its own falcon that is used to keep Cardiff’s vast pigeon population at bay, but that's beside the point. After leaving the Sushi joint I bid farewell to Tim and Lee my sushi consuming, rugby watching amigos and headed for Cardiff queen street station around the corner so I could go and visit my lady friend. Unfortunately some kind of fight had broken out and the whole station was closed. After a long and pointless sojourn with a few people I met at the gates of Queen Street to one of Cardiff’s suburban stations I gave up all hopes of going home and decided to go to Tim’s flat and continue the celebrations in the victory crazed city.

Tim is a one man folk act and Lee is a one man wall of destruction who’s great size is only complimented by his crazy metal-head exterior. So for an hour or so at Tim’s we sang stirring renditions of Handsome Johnny, Welsh battle song Men of Harlech (see Zulu starring Michael Caine) and bizzarro System of a down covers not to mention a faux Spanish version of Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (9 flasks of sake remember) and waited for reinforcements.

Reinforcements arrived about an hour later in the form of another two pals the bellicose john and Jonesy among other noble things a designated driver, armed with a car we set off back into town. Amazingly the city seemed calm, mostly due to the fact nearly the entire population of the city (Hey lets go nuts here to entire country is only 160 miles long by 60 miles wide there’s a population of 3,000,000 and 305,000 live in the capital, I’m willing to bet the percentage of Welsh people in the capital last night was significant) were in Cardiff many, many bars. Despite it’s craziness as a city often targeted by the ‘binge drinking culture’ finger pointers, Cardiff is a Burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp kind of city in which I mean (paraphrasing Tony Montana) “There ain’t nothing you can do to Cardiff that history ain’t done already.”

As per usual when nobody is willing to think of what to do we headed for Metros Cardiff’s favourite rock club affectionately nicknamed “sweatros” due to the fact the club sweats as much as her beleaguered subterranean punters. The remainder of the night passed peaceably (for us at least) as the red shirted haemoglobin of rugby fans intermingled with the black clad rockers. Fuelled by booze the land of song belted forth the alternative hits of the past 50 years culminating in Tom Jones’s Delilah- at the top of our voices as always, as if subconsciously the nation from time to time needs to remind him we’re doing just fine Tom, stay in Vegas.

libra Posted: Sun Mar 20 13:21:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Glad to see you around mat.

And I love the way you tell a story.

sweet p Posted: Mon Mar 21 02:23:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love rugby.
I also had a friend I called Jonesy and I loved him too.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Mon Mar 21 02:28:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I love the melding of so many cultures Mat j. Japanese, UK, and typical international love of sporting events. . . It's a beautiful thing a man and his rugby. Man those players are tougher then iron beams

mat_j Posted: Sun Mar 27 21:05:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  thankyou guys, it was a good day!

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]