Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

ow! the pain oh the pain
andariel Posted: Fri Mar 25 11:48:09 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Having had a fair amount of both lately I was wondering what everyone thought was worse, emotional or physical pain?

I'm thinking that it's got to be emotional. Nothing stings more than a blow to ego or pride. Nothing like depression. Emotional pain stays with you, you never forget the scars that make your personalty unique while everyone forgets the details behind the small scars on their hands or arms or what not. You really learn what to avoid emotionally while physically you may never learn.

Posted: Fri Mar 25 11:59:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  papercuts.

there's nothing worse than a papercut.

addi Posted: Fri Mar 25 12:07:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  they both suck : )
But all things being equal i tend to agree with you. I burned my hand once when i was young and I remember it hurting like hell, but the pain passed after 24 hours. When my father left home the emotional pain lasted for years and years. I've had some recent relationship problems (due to my own stupidity) and the emotional pain is a bitch to live with.
Modern medicine can help with physical pain in most instances. About the only thing i've found that helps heal emotional pain is time.....sometimes a very long time.

Silentmind Posted: Fri Mar 25 12:09:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think Addi said it best and in better words than I could have.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 25 12:10:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>papercuts.
>
>there's nothing worse than a papercut.
>
Yeah, and it hurts really bad when you accidentally staple your lower lip to a board.

beetlebum Posted: Fri Mar 25 12:34:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:
> You really learn what to avoid emotionally while physically you may never learn.

I don't know. sigh.... sometimes I think it is the opposite. People may hurt themselves physically time after time, but (usually) the injury happens accidentally. Emotional pain, like you said, is more injurious to the spirit, more profound, and probably longer-lasting, but I think that physical pain is more of a deterrence to repeat behavior.
If I were to stick my hand on a hot burner and seriously burned the crap out of myself, I wouldn't do it again, even if the physical pain healed in as little time as a week. But I have definitely stuck around in some painful relationships that I *knew* weren't going to get better, which in a weird way, would be analogous to leaving my hand on the burner even though it hurt. Not many people would do that. And I know people that follow the same painful emotional patterns again and again. While emotional pain may cause future avoidance of similar situations, I don't think it always does.

beetlebum Posted: Fri Mar 25 12:36:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>CriminalSaint said:
>>papercuts.
>>
>>there's nothing worse than a papercut.
>>
>Yeah, and it hurts really bad when you accidentally staple your lower lip to a board.

Or when you accidentally sew a heavy-duty needle halfway through your palm in Home Economics. :o)

andariel Posted: Fri Mar 25 13:24:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  CriminalSaint said:
>papercuts.
>
>there's nothing worse than a papercut.

papercut IN THE EYE!! One of my friends really did that. grossest thing ever.

antartica Posted: Fri Mar 25 13:28:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Modern medicine can help with physical pain in most instances. About the only thing i've found that helps heal emotional pain is time.....sometimes a very long time.

erh.... if it's any help, you still got us here at GT for anything at all Bro...

but then again i think that we actually add to the mental trauma? :p

*hugs*

addi Posted: Fri Mar 25 13:39:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  antartica said:

>erh.... if it's any help, you still got us here at GT for anything at all Bro...

I'm doing fine now for the most part, thanks ant. It's funny you said that cuz it has been gters that have helped a lot.

>but then again i think that we actually add to the mental trauma? :p

come to think of it, it's been gters that caused it all too : )

"Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me."
Dave Matthews

It's Friday. I'm out of this damn place! (work, that is)

beetlebum Posted: Fri Mar 25 13:48:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:

>
>
>
>"Hike up your skirt a little more, and show your world to me."
>Dave Matthews
>
i *love* that song. :)

Mark Posted: Fri Mar 25 14:08:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I haven't had real emotional pain for a couple of months now... It feels great :)

Did hit a wall with my fist a few days ago though... now the knuckle of my middle finger hurts like hell

sweet p Posted: Fri Mar 25 14:12:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  andariel said:

>papercut IN THE EYE!! One of my friends really did that. grossest thing ever.

Oh man, that's gotta suck.
Geezus.

hugo11 Posted: Fri Mar 25 15:12:15 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Although I must admit that paper cuts (via eyes or hands) are painful, emotional pain is so much worse and sometimes seems unbearable. I lost my job this week and TGIF just doesn't have the same glimmer that it once had. Ah well, c'est le vie.

ifihadahif Posted: Fri Mar 25 16:18:39 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hugo11 said:
>Although I must admit that paper cuts (via eyes or hands) are painful, emotional pain is so much worse and sometimes seems unbearable. I lost my job this week and TGIF just doesn't have the same glimmer that it once had. Ah well, c'est le vie.
>
Don't sweat it Hugo.
I've lost a lot of jobs in my life and without exception, the next job was a better one.
If you want to work, you will be fine.
Just remember life is peaks and valleys, and you're in a valley, but just passing thru to the next peak.

Mesh Posted: Fri Apr 1 05:14:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Nothing quite as painful as losing someone youre close to.

That happens the same day you get a paper cut, youre fucked.

FN Posted: Fri Apr 1 07:09:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  If they ask me if I'd like to be tortured to death or if they could try and kill me by just feeling bad emotionally, I'd let them take a shot at the 2nd one.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]