Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

If you didn't think music was dead...
Posted: Wed Mar 30 08:06:00 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4389751.stm

*pours a 40 for my homeboy, musical integrity*

novemberrain Posted: Wed Mar 30 08:08:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh sweet mercy.

Cool pic, Crim.

Mark Posted: Wed Mar 30 08:45:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ...follow the herd...

on the other hand, people with high obesity levels are good for economy and social security... they eat a lot and die young.

addi Posted: Wed Mar 30 08:52:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Can you say "Sell out"?

I knew you could : )

*And the lead singer from Booty and the Hlowfish is now doing cheesey commercials for Burger King

sidzee Posted: Wed Mar 30 10:48:24 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  This new McDonald's campaign should technically also mark the death of sport with Serene and Venus Williams endorsing Big Macs...

Now thats food for thought!

FN Posted: Wed Mar 30 11:19:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Wolffie said:
>people with high obesity levels are good for economy and social security... they eat a lot and die young.

Not really, they cost shitloads of money because of the hospital costs before they die.

Aeon Posted: Wed Mar 30 11:59:46 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well... I'd sell my soul to el diablo and write a song called, "A bullet in my body and a Big Mac in my mouf". Then again, I had no musical integrity/talent to begin with... just like most Rap artists.

ZING!

DanSRose Posted: Wed Mar 30 13:33:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Mmmm... chicken nuggets

FN Posted: Wed Mar 30 14:42:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I think all rap artists and people who like that kind of music should die a horrible death.

Twice.

libra Posted: Wed Mar 30 16:03:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I've been noticing the commercialization of everything more and more recently.

We had to do an assignment on toys for my soc class. Every single fucking toy had a brand name to go along with it. It's not just a tool set, it was a Home Depot tool set...or a McDonald's easy bake oven, or Levi's Barbie.

I didn't have toys like that when I was little. And I'm very glad i didn't.

ifihadahif Posted: Wed Mar 30 18:10:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>I've been noticing the commercialization of everything more and more recently.
>
>We had to do an assignment on toys for my soc class. Every single fucking toy had a brand name to go along with it. It's not just a tool set, it was a Home Depot tool set...or a McDonald's easy bake oven, or Levi's Barbie.
>
>I didn't have toys like that when I was little. And I'm very glad i didn't.
>
What difference does it make if the Easy Bake oven says McDonalds or Kenner, or if the Barbie says Levi's or Mattel ?
I'm pretty sure if you had toys as a child, they came with brand names on them. I know mine did and I'm way older than everybody here, save one old sheepmeister codger.

libra Posted: Wed Mar 30 20:02:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  They had brand names when I was a kid, but just ONE. there wasn't this intense pairing of brands so that the little girls and boys grow up knowing about the things they're 'supposed' to like in the future.

Obviously there's going to be a Mattel there, or a Tyco or whatever, but to pair it with something that has no place in a kid's life save to shout something at them for them to remember in the future: Levi's are good, remember, barbie wore them and she had Ken and a nice figure, you should too.

It's a matter of commercializing beyond the mere factor of letting you know that Mattel is the company that sells barbie so you should buy more Mattel, it's setting kids up to be good little consumers as they grow up, letting them recognize those symbols, the pairing of words and the logos as a part of their lives, a part of their identity while they're still in preschool...before they even have money of their own.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 31 11:11:53 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>They had brand names when I was a kid, but just ONE. there wasn't this intense pairing of brands so that the little girls and boys grow up knowing about the things they're 'supposed' to like in the future.
>
>Obviously there's going to be a Mattel there, or a Tyco or whatever, but to pair it with something that has no place in a kid's life save to shout something at them for them to remember in the future: Levi's are good, remember, barbie wore them and she had Ken and a nice figure, you should too.
>
>It's a matter of commercializing beyond the mere factor of letting you know that Mattel is the company that sells barbie so you should buy more Mattel, it's setting kids up to be good little consumers as they grow up, letting them recognize those symbols, the pairing of words and the logos as a part of their lives, a part of their identity while they're still in preschool...before they even have money of their own.
>
So are you saying capitalism is a bad thing ?

addi Posted: Thu Mar 31 11:31:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:

>So are you saying capitalism is a bad thing ?

Hifmeister..picking another fight with the liberal libra girl : )

I'll jump in...
Are you saying capitalism as an economic system is beyond reproach?

If you take the time to look you can find some very positive effects of communism in Cuba. You can also find some very negative ones as well.

Capitalism has it's good qualities, as well as it's share of harmful ones.

beetlebum Posted: Thu Mar 31 12:01:47 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>So are you saying capitalism is a bad thing ?

Woah. Libra's statement (at least in this case) was not condoning capitalism. It seems like she was condoning the brand name association that has now entered a three year old child's vocabulary, consciously or otherwise... just because brainwashing is effective does not mean it is right. I think Libra is right-- there is something wrong with the way branding works in America, and I think it is one of the more detrimental byproducts of capitalism, despite my belief that capitalism is the the best economic system I've known or studied. I'm frustrated by the fact that a pervasive sense of social responsibility has not accompanied the force that is capitalism.

kurohyou Posted: Thu Mar 31 12:41:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addison said:
>Can you say "Sell out"?
>
>I knew you could : )
>
>*And the lead singer from Booty and the Hlowfish is now doing cheesey commercials for Burger King

I saw that and cracked up...did you see the superbowl commercial where the kids were trying to get their ball back from the neighbors yard and the neighbor started throwing things they had lost back over the fence, and he threw MC Hammer back over. That garnered a chuckle.

Washed out muscians and athletes make me laugh...glory days...

For what its worth...

kurohyou Posted: Thu Mar 31 12:43:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I remember hearing that Polaroid was very excited when OutKast had the verse..."shake it, shake it, shake it like a polaroid picture..."

They had hoped that it would rejuvinate interest in their products...

For what its worth...

kurohyou Posted: Thu Mar 31 12:53:48 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>I think all rap artists and people who like that kind of music should die a horrible death.
>
>Twice.

Rap, as it seems to me, is a very culturally based form of music. Not unlike a lot of other forms of music, but different when compared to pop, some R&B and techno, all of which have garnered some form of international recongition.

Despite Christophe's calls for my death, twice, I listen to rap occasionally. If you can get past its presentation, the words which some of the artists use have a fair amount of meaning, though not all of them.

Some rap is horribly degradging, mind numbing and just painful to listen to, but some of it isn't. Some of it is more than the baggy pants, and flashy cars of their artists. There is a strong social component to some rap. Speaking out against what they believe to be the wrongs of society, expressing their frustrations. Some of it is intriguing to listen to if you can hear what the artist is trying to say.

But again, its all personal preference. I don't expect everyone to like rap, like I said, I don't like all of it. But its all good...

For what its worth...

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 31 13:12:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>So are you saying capitalism is a bad thing ?
>
>Woah. Libra's statement (at least in this case) was not condoning capitalism. It seems like she was condoning the brand name association that has now entered a three year old child's vocabulary, consciously or otherwise... just because brainwashing is effective does not mean it is right. I think Libra is right-- there is something wrong with the way branding works in America, and I think it is one of the more detrimental byproducts of capitalism, despite my belief that capitalism is the the best economic system I've known or studied. I'm frustrated by the fact that a pervasive sense of social responsibility has not accompanied the force that is capitalism.
>
I don't get it.
A Mattell easy bake oven is ok, but a McDonalds easy bake oven brought to you by Mattell is not ?

libra Posted: Thu Mar 31 13:37:01 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ifihadahif said:
>>
>I don't get it.
>A Mattell easy bake oven is ok, but a McDonalds easy bake oven brought to you by Mattell is not ?

The kid doesn't pay attention to the mattel part. They see the little pink star like logo and go, that means those people that make Barbie and those other things I like and then they ignore it.

McDonalds, Levi's, etc. are all products that are not available for them at that age. (yah, they eat mcdonalds, but they don't go buy it themselves, it's just food to them) They're products that later on, the kid will be deciding to buy or not to buy.

By getting the kid used to seeing these labels, Levi's, Home Depot, etc. at such a young age, they're incorporating the brands into their lives before they're even old enough to go to home depot and buy a power tool, or go to macy's and pick out some levi's. They're telling these kids what to like at such a young age. This is something that wasn't available when I was that young. I wasn't aware of 'brands' of clothing and what was 'good or bad' until i was much older. I didn't whine to my parents that i wanted Abercrombie and Fitch or Tommy Hilfiger or Guess when I was 11 like i've heard some kids do now. These brands cost much more than other more generic brands that I grew up in.
As a parent, i'd hope you'd at least be able to realize this part of the issue. Kids already want stuff. But when the stuff they want has to be a specific brand, you're pushing the amount of money a parent spends on their kid to a whole new spectrum. A spectrum where jeans don't cost $50, they cost $180.

What they're doing is creating materialistic little brats before a child even has money of their own. They're forcing this "right brand vs. wrong brand" crap down a kid's throat at an age when their parents still pick out their overalls and tiny shoes.

FN Posted: Thu Mar 31 14:02:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Hmm.

A while ago I read a rather interesting article about this.

Studies had shown that certain logo's were actually "branded" into the brain of some people due to constant repetition.

Like seeing a coca cola logo-like drawing or whatever would trigger a thirst responce and so on.

It was all a bit more elaborate and shocking than that but I don't feel like typing it all out, so if you're interested in these things I suggest you'd take a look at it.

ifihadahif Posted: Thu Mar 31 18:04:59 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>ifihadahif said:
>>>
>>I don't get it.
>>A Mattell easy bake oven is ok, but a McDonalds easy bake oven brought to you by Mattell is not ?
>
>The kid doesn't pay attention to the mattel part. They see the little pink star like logo and go, that means those people that make Barbie and those other things I like and then they ignore it.
>
>McDonalds, Levi's, etc. are all products that are not available for them at that age. (yah, they eat mcdonalds, but they don't go buy it themselves, it's just food to them) They're products that later on, the kid will be deciding to buy or not to buy.
>
>By getting the kid used to seeing these labels, Levi's, Home Depot, etc. at such a young age, they're incorporating the brands into their lives before they're even old enough to go to home depot and buy a power tool, or go to macy's and pick out some levi's. They're telling these kids what to like at such a young age. This is something that wasn't available when I was that young. I wasn't aware of 'brands' of clothing and what was 'good or bad' until i was much older. I didn't whine to my parents that i wanted Abercrombie and Fitch or Tommy Hilfiger or Guess when I was 11 like i've heard some kids do now. These brands cost much more than other more generic brands that I grew up in.
>As a parent, i'd hope you'd at least be able to realize this part of the issue. Kids already want stuff. But when the stuff they want has to be a specific brand, you're pushing the amount of money a parent spends on their kid to a whole new spectrum. A spectrum where jeans don't cost $50, they cost $180.
>
>What they're doing is creating materialistic little brats before a child even has money of their own. They're forcing this "right brand vs. wrong brand" crap down a kid's throat at an age when their parents still pick out their overalls and tiny shoes.
>
I don't buy any of that crap.
Advertising has always been deviously effective (ever heard of subliminals?).
The whiny ass kids you see and hear are not created by Nike or Hilfiger, they are created by crappy parents.
My youngest son is probably your age, he turned 19 in Feb, and he was on the Tommy bandwagon at 12 or 13. He was told he might get something on his birthday or Christmas but other than that if he wanted it, he had to work for it. Case closed.
All the advertising in the world won't change that.
By the way, as a child, I most certainly knew the brand names of everything I had. Schwinn, Mattell, Hasbro, etc., they were a hallmark of quality, and yes they did advertise.
The cartoon shows always advertised toys, pop tarts, chocolate milk and everything else you could aim at kids.
Nothing has really changed but the packages.

Mesh Posted: Fri Apr 1 04:45:32 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm not even going to read the whole of this thread.

The Big Mac thing is stupid, I mean just imagine

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a big mac ain't one

[Verse One]
I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol
Foes that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Rap critics that say he's "Money Cash Hoes"
I'm from the hood stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with holes in your zapitos
You'd celebrate the minute you was havin a big mac
I'm like fuck critics you can kiss my whole asshole
If you don't like my lyrics you cant have my big mac
Got beef with cheese, lettuce and that special sauce
They don't play my hits well i don't give a shit SO
Rap mags try and use my black ass
So advertisers can give em more cash for ads...fuckers
I don't know what you take me as
or understand the intellegence that Jay-Z has
I'm from rags to ritches nigga i ain't dumb
Hit me

[Chorus]
99 Problems but a big mac ain't one
If you havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
Hit me

[Verse Two]
The year is '94 and in my trunk is raw meat(for makin big macs yo)
In my rear view mirror is the mother fuckin law
I got two choices yall pull over the car and share my big mac or
Bounce on the devil put the pedal to the floor, cause i aint sharin that shit
Now i ain't tryin to see no highway chase with jake
Plus i got a few dollars i can fight the case
So i...pull over to the side of the road
And i heard "Son do you know why i'm stoppin you for?"
Cause i'm young and i'm black and my hats real low, and i gots this big ass mac with the special sauce
Do i look like a mind reader sir, i don't know
Am i under arrest or should i guess some mo?
"Well you was doin fifty five in a fifty four"
"Liscense and regestration and step out of the car"
"Are you carryin a weapon on you i know alot of you are"
I ain't steppin out of shit all my papers legit
"Do you mind if i look round the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk and the back
And i know my rights so you gon' need a warrent for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
"Or somebody important or somethin?"
Nah i ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my shit
"Well see how smart you are when the K-9's come"
Hit me

[Chorus X2]

[Verse Three]
Now once upon a time not too long ago
A nigga like myself had to strong arm a hoe
This is not a hoe in the sense of havin a pussy
But a pussy havin no God Damn sense, try and take my big mac
I tried to inore him and talk to the Lord
Pray for him, cause some fools just love to perform
You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight
The only thing that's gonna happen is i'mma get to clappin
He and his boys gon be yappin to the captain
And there i go traped in the kit kat again
Back through the system with the riff raff again
Fiends on the floor scratchin again
Paparatzi's with they cameras snappin them
D.A. tred to give the nigga the shaft again
twelve big macs for bail cause i'm African
All because ths fool was horrasin them
Tryin to play the boy like hes saccarin
But ain't nothin sweet 'bout how i hold my gun
I got 99 problems but this big mac ain't one
Hit me

[Chorus X3]

You're crazy for this one Rick
It's your boy

girl Posted: Fri Apr 1 08:08:51 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  DanSRose said:
>Mmmm... chicken nuggets
>

i'm so glad someone else was thinking this.

Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 9 16:06:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/00000058.htm

Good Gaud.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]