Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Psychics Do it With Crystal Balls
addi Posted: Tue Apr 12 11:32:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Your predictions of societal, environmental, cultural, technological, etc..., changes by the year 2055.

I'm not talking about tabloid stupid stuff like, "Aliens Will Abduct Texas Man for Anal Probing in 2013"

More in the line of your guesses on significant changes in the world, that may seem improbable or implausible at the moment.

For example (not too terribly insightful):

By 2055 I think it will be much more socially acceptable for a much wider socio-economic group to have cosmetic surgury. I think major advances in less invasive medical procedures, and a significant lowering of the cost (thru competition)will make it almost seem like you're a nutcase if you don't have it done.
So if Henry doesn't like his growing stomach when he turns 30 he'll go in and have a relatively simple procedure done to correct the problem, in most cases as an outpatient. Same thing goes for Lisa, who doesn't like her butt. I can foresee a majority of people in technologically developed nations having things like this done, as opposed to the relatively small percentage now.
What was once deemed as something only the rich and vain got done will become the norm in many places.

And i also think it will be legally possible, and availible for the wealthy by then thru genetic advancements to have "designer babies". Parents, for a lot of moolah, will be able to find clinics that will allow them to choose many of the physical characteristics, as well as the gender of their child,
....and just a little further down the road the ability to make sure they are in the top 3% in intelligence as well.

Predict away friends

DanSRose Posted: Tue Apr 12 12:42:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  According to the Maya, the world is supossed to end Decemember 21, 2012. Their myths say the calender ends and time stops. Their calender was eerily accurate, mainly because of their location between the Tropics (angle of the sun and whatnot) and their advanced mathematics and astromony (predicted the exact length of the year and leap years into account).
The actual myth says it won't actually end, but start over, almost like the Norse Ragnorak myths.
I like mythology

beetlebum Posted: Tue Apr 12 12:57:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  You can already choose (with fairly good accuracy considering the logistics involved) the gender of your child. Easier to get a girl than a boy, though. Guess it has to do with sorting chromosomes.

I think in 50 years the way we use energy will be significantly different than the way we do now. Cars will be different, solar and wind energy will be collected and harvested more and more, and that new home construction will reflect these changes.

I also think that in 50 to 100 years, China may very well be the world's economic super power if the U.S. and Europe (and Japan) don't jump on it.

Aeon Posted: Tue Apr 12 13:07:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Two words: Robot Apocalypse. Seriously, at the rate that technology is developing (mainly the developments in nano technology, artificial intelligence, and robotics) humanity will no longer be the dominant force on the planet as robots with 1000 times the brainpower of the smartest human are created and take control.

Michael Biehn is then sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor.

Nikki Posted: Tue Apr 12 13:44:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  so fucking creative!!! blah blah blah

give me a break...must be born AFTER 1980?

libra Posted: Tue Apr 12 15:12:30 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i definitely agree with that cosmetic surgery thing addi...i was thinking about how probably, when i'm older and wrinkled, most of the people around me will have gotten botox or some new version of it and i'm curious to see if i'll end up having changes made to my appearance.

Aeon Posted: Tue Apr 12 21:00:11 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>i definitely agree with that cosmetic surgery thing addi...i was thinking about how probably, when i'm older and wrinkled, most of the people around me will have gotten botox or some new version of it and i'm curious to see if i'll end up having changes made to my appearance.
>
>

:: stares at Libra's pic :: .......huh? What did you say? I'm sorry... I wasn't listening.

Cherry_Moon Posted: Tue Apr 12 21:54:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Aeon said:
>Two words: Robot Apocalypse. Seriously, at the rate that technology is developing (mainly the developments in nano technology, artificial intelligence, and robotics) humanity will no longer be the dominant force on the planet as robots with 1000 times the brainpower of the smartest human are created and take control.

gee, i thought perhaps maybe atlantis would come back, elves from the undying land will bring frodo and he will stop the evil President Bush the 7th and Gandalf will set up a lucrative fireworks stand in florida.

>Michael Biehn is then sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor.
lmao!

ifihadahif Posted: Tue Apr 12 21:57:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  um, well, 2055 you say ?
I'm pretty sure I'll be dead, but on the off-chance I'm still alive, I'll still be sniffing after Sweet P, albeit a little slower perhaps.

sweet p Posted: Wed Apr 13 01:43:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  hah!
Well, I suppose if by the time I'm 70 Peter Parker still hasn't asked for my hand, then I'll just have to run away with you, Hif.

Mark Posted: Wed Apr 13 07:03:35 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Society is even more decadent. Christians take over Amercia and Washington DC will become "New Vatican". Due to shortage in food and fuel supplies the world population is actually decreasing. The gap between rich and poor is getting even larger.

-or-

At the end of the maya calender in 2012 everybody gains a much higher level of spirituality and everybody lives in peace.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 07:58:05 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  2025: I expect the first live killings to take place in a sort of battle royale-like reality show.

What we see as decadent now will probably become the norm by that time, as stupidity will have broken free from it's current, very long chains.

The first succesful designer babies are born, after scandals of "unfortunate complications" experienced at the beginning of the research.

Privacy is a thing of the past in most Western countries, making society rot from the inside out as people feel deprived of it.

2035: The plague is back, and has brought some friends along too after major terrorist assaults on former Soviet viruslabs that were poorly protected, at best.

The global community was not prepared at all, since stocks of vaccines and treatments against these diseases are limited and it takes too long to make new ones in time.

Public outrage when it is discovered that the corporation that was responsible for maintaining a "safety stock", in case the plague and it's variants would return, only had the stocks available on paper, entire batches were simply never made due to corruption at the highest levels.

2040: Oil reserves have depleted that much that it isn't profitable anymore to use fossile fuels, destroying the slowly growing economies in 3rd world countries that were finally trying to start and catch up.

Big companies that were putting research into other fuels are where the big money is at, and the factories producing them are a sort of modern goldmines. Hydrogen is the idea, incredibly destructive carbombings the result, plagueing the already cripled American economy and major European, as well as Asian cities. Japan and China have grown into the new super powers, trying to win the favour of Russia as a means of plentiful cannon fodder and turning their sights on the Western world to expand their territories.

Terraforming at mars was planned to start, but the mission failed as contact was lost with the ships sent there a day and a half before arrival after their 3 year journey.

What in the 20th century was known as "European Culture" or "Europeans" in general, is nowhere to be found on the continent anymore, unless you really know where to look for it. "Immigrants" have taken over the entire polictal system due to their sheer number that boomed while the "native" European birthrates had been going downhill for decades.

America too is only a shadow of what it used to be. Die hard christians, assured that the judgement day is near after somebody who could "prove" that he was the son of god told them so, seize control. The inquisition is no longer a thing of the past.

Due to the advances in genetic and nano technology, the first "immortals" are born. They do not experience aging beyond the age of 25, nor do they experience disease, but they can find death in all other ways.

2045: the mentality of the Western world starts to shift back again, with cries to go back to earlier days of discipline and rational thought, but it comes too late. Society turns to anarchy, with those who can afford it bunkering themselves into their walled houses to keep the barbaric common folk out. Cancers wreak havoc upon the world population after a brief yet incredibly destructive global nuclear conflict, which caused the launch of only a few bombs, that proved to be lethal for the world as it was known by that time, nonetheless.

2054: The climate resembles anything but what we know today. Equatorial temperatures can now be found at the poles, and the nuclear clouds that still rain fallout every now and then block most sunlight destroying 90% of earth's eco-system.

What remains of the intellectual/rich people has retreated into mountain bases, leaving those who couldn't out there, having to fend for themselves. Plans are made to send those left alive to the former sattelite launchbase on the moon and try to build a new community there, untill a better and more hospitable location can be found.

2055: The man in charge of the moon's water supplies goes mad when he finds out that his family was still alive when they left earth, contrary to what he had been told, but were murdered shortly afterwards when the mountainbase was stormed by the people on earth. To take revenge on the people responsible for leaving his family to die on earth, he poisons the water supply with strychnine, and then commits suicide by jumping into the tanks. A lot of people drink the water before it is discovered what happened, some die a few hours later, others go berzerk and chaos erupts at the base.

On earth, you could see the moon burning.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 08:05:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>"Immigrants" have taken over the entire polictal system due to their sheer number that boomed while the "native" European birthrates had been going downhill for decades.

*political

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Apr 13 08:42:52 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  you know christophe if you are right i'm going to take dive off a building. i couldn't stand the thoughgt of having to deal with such a f-ed up world.

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 08:47:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Well we all know that lying prick John Titor was wrong.

Such a shame....I was ready for the shotgun militia.

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 09:00:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I mean, seriously. Travelling back in time for an IBM 5100 lol? Did he also need to get an 8-track and a Betamax?

misszero Posted: Wed Apr 13 09:13:20 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
. Easier to get a girl than a boy, though. Guess it has to do with sorting chromosomes.
>

we'd need more girls, as a race though, wouldn't we? i mean... biologically speaking, boys can knock up more than one person at a time (yeah, them some good biological terms there). so it makes sense to have more women. like on a stud farm.... maybe that's what god's up to.....*ponder*

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 09:17:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  By the way, I know who John Titor is. Its that damned nutjob Art Bell.

You remember Art, dont you? He got that phone call from a very nervous and distraught "employee from Area 51". When, all of a sudden (OH NO!) the show went silent and a few seconds later a recording of an older Art Bell show came on. Then....Art Bell says they were "mysteriously knocked off the air", and nothing like that has ever happened before. dun dun DUN!

Yeah, hes John "Poopy Pants" Titor.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 09:25:58 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>you know christophe if you are right i'm going to take dive off a building. i couldn't stand the thoughgt of having to deal with such a f-ed up world.

Meh. First sign of anarchy and I'll have a militia up and running.

And ab out the more girls than boys:

Demographic studies I've read recently show that at the early stages of life, up to 20-30 or something, males are in the (slight) majority, making them fight for females in a way, yet at later ages it evens out, ultimately, quite logically, females are in the majority since males start dying sooner.

libra Posted: Wed Apr 13 11:44:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>you know christophe if you are right i'm going to take dive off a building. i couldn't stand the thoughgt of having to deal with such a f-ed up world.

what are you talking about, it already is fucked up.

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 11:47:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:
>
>what are you talking about, it already is fucked up.

I would have to agree.

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 11:49:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Though in cherrys defense, its not as fucked up as in Christophes prediction.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Apr 13 12:13:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:

>Demographic studies I've read recently show that at the early stages of life, up to 20-30 or something, males are in the (slight) majority, making them fight for females in a way, yet at later ages it evens out, ultimately, quite logically, females are in the majority since males start dying sooner.

I originally meant that in *choosing* the sex of a child, it is statistically easier to get a girl than it is a boy currently (if you're trying to sway your chances of having one sex or the other). This is because the process now used in pre-fertilization gender specification techniques on humans has derived from cattle gender specification, where female offspring were more desirable for the main reason already discussed (female offspring means more future offspring).

In the future though, getting either one gender or the other may become equally as easy and the process inexpensive, and in that case, gender populations might very well become skewed, especially in countries where males are preferred over females due to a female's required dowry and/or family lineage purposes.

Meh.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 12:42:25 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'd go for a son too, and I think most fathers would.

I couldn't cope with a daughter.

iggy Posted: Wed Apr 13 13:57:27 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
chanz will rule the world together with GT.

Asswipe Posted: Wed Apr 13 15:47:55 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:

everyone here knows that was exactly what christophe was thinking, the shocking part was that he spent the time typing it all out.

Asswipe Posted: Wed Apr 13 15:53:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  if everything got botox and ironed out their faces, wrinkles would be sexy.

genetic engineering won't ever come into fruition for the majority of public. the immorality claims against it would be bigger than those of abortion. not to mention, once you start genetically engineering a babies' features/characteristics, you acknowledge the inexplicable desire to dominate, which would cause most people to choose the opposite. it could verily be used to cure certain health deformities though. perhaps in engineering super soldiers also. that'd be fun. check the movie gattaca for more on this. also the recent sports illustrated (which my roomate left in the bathroom) talks about the steroid craze and how it's just the beginning of unnatural physical enhancements and genetic engineering / nano-science will take the lead in the future. but i don't buy it. no one wants to watch machines box or play baseball. but machines exploding, that's another story.

but i could just be crazy.

Asswipe Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:00:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  future stuff though... definatly some sort of man-made virus will wipe out a good portion of the planet. i plan to survive it but i probably won't.

another civil war will break out in the US. this time 3 factions will brawl for supremecy. blue v. red v. white. spurned by the assassination of some presidant and the other sides less than negative responses to it, the war will be fought in the major cities. buildings will tumble and such.

blue and red powers are the left and right political factions.

white would be the 50% of the country that doesn't give a shit and wants the news to go back to playing video tapes of water-skiing squirrels.

uhh, the circus will finally go out of business.

i read something on the dropping value of the US dollar. i'd predict another depression but that might hinge on being too realistic. so i'll stick with my squirrels.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:08:12 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>everyone here knows that was exactly what christophe was thinking, the shocking part was that he spent the time typing it all out.

Haha, I was waiting for my brother to get out of the bathroom because I needed to take a dump, badly.

To quote fat bastard, it felt like there was a turtlehead sticking out of my ass.

It helped to keep my mind off things.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:10:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>i read something on the dropping value of the US dollar. i'd predict another depression but that might hinge on being too realistic. so i'll stick with my squirrels.

It was dropped to spur the american economy, but kind of backfired as far as I heard.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:24:02 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Asswipe said:
>>i read something on the dropping value of the US dollar. i'd predict another depression but that might hinge on being too realistic. so i'll stick with my squirrels.
>
>It was dropped to spur the american economy, but kind of backfired as far as I heard.

The dollar was dropped to help fix the gross imbalance between imports/exports, so yes, a fall in the dollar would help the American economy. Unfortunately, this slowed down those growth of those country economies that either formally or informally pegged their respective currency to the dollar, thereby slowing down the global economy a smidge. But it hasn't backfired. Yet. Only time will tell.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:27:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yet.

It's not helping the European economy either.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:35:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Christophe said:
>Yet.
>
>It's not helping the European economy either.

Yeah, but maintaining a high dollar was never Greenspan's job, and his job certainly does not include keeping the EU trade deficit in balance. The ECB could progressively lower the interest rate if it weren't so inflation-focused (and inflation afraid). Both France and Germany have been forced to break the Growth and Stability Pact (something those countries in particular insisted upon!) because they are left with the lone tool of fiscal policy. (But the sidenote to all of this is the EU economy was struggling in 2000, well before the dollar fell.)

Also, the dollar's value was, by many accounts, an overvaluation anyway. Maybe now we're simply returning to something that more accurately (if I may say that) reflects the dollar's value on the world market.

FN Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:43:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Yeah but it has always been the strong point if you will of the ECB to keep inflation rates in line to keep the economy a bit more stable.

I agree with you that they could benefit from letting the inflation rise a little though, the low inflation is paid for with our high unemployment numbers. 2% is what the ECB aims for, and like you said, it's really hard to work like that for some countries.

I'm not saying that the European market is struggling because of the low dollar, btw, I'm just saying that a strong and a weak $ is doing it's share of the damage as well.

beetlebum Posted: Wed Apr 13 16:50:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Oh. I stand corrected. :o)

Asswipe Posted: Wed Apr 13 18:40:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  ... economics... blows

Asswipe Posted: Wed Apr 13 18:40:41 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'll give ya an inflation rate...

bitch

Cherry_Moon Posted: Wed Apr 13 21:58:19 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Though in cherrys defense, its not as fucked up as in Christophes prediction.

thank you mesh. it could be alot worse. like it could rain. :P

Mesh Posted: Wed Apr 13 22:12:49 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>meshuggah said:
>>Though in cherrys defense, its not as fucked up as in Christophes prediction.
>
>like it could rain. :P

That would be bad. Because I would without a doubt be given the task of gathering up 2 of every animal and putting them on my yacht. Think of what they would do to the upholstery! Catastrophic!

FN Posted: Thu Apr 14 01:23:21 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>... economics... blows

*cries like a little girl*

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]