Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Moving
jennemmer Posted: Sat Apr 30 16:46:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I am currently in the process of packing for my move to Chicago. It's been a really interesting process because I have acquired a long term lease and want to start getting settled in but at the same time I will be back for 4 months in the fall so I don't need to take everything with me now. I also have to leave some stuff behind so that I still have a bit of a room to come home to. Lastly, everything I take down has to fit into a two door Toyota Tercel.

I have slowly been going through the contents of my room and all the stuff I've acquired over the course of my life trying to decide what is important enough for me to take and what I should leave behind.

What things would you have to take with you no matter what even though they serve no useful purpose? And what do you do with old souvenirs and other stuff whose sentimental attachment has faded with time?

addi Posted: Sat Apr 30 16:59:17 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Keep it all!
Someday Antiques Roadshow will come to your town and you'll be so happy you kept all your junk when something you were gonna toss turns out to be worth $10,000.
: )

I've lived in Georgia for 13 years and I still have boxes stored in a friends basement in Minnesota

beetlebum Posted: Sat Apr 30 17:19:28 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  addi said:
>Keep it all!
>Someday Antiques Roadshow will come to your town and you'll be so happy you kept all your junk when something you were gonna toss turns out to be worth $10,000.
>: )
>
>I've lived in Georgia for 13 years and I still have boxes stored in a friends basement in Minnesota

Yeah, and I'm sure you're friend is really happy about that, ya weirdo.

Jenn, GET RID OF IT. :-P

PS: Addi, the card she got from her first boyfriend is not going to get her money on the antiques road show, unless, of course, she her first boyrfriend was, say, Benjamin Franklin. (An extremely sexy man due to his suave monocle-wearing habits.) Somehow, I doubt that she did date that stud of a man; call it hunch. ; )

jennemmer Posted: Sat Apr 30 17:39:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:
Somehow, I doubt that she did date that stud of a man; call it hunch. ; )

Hey, just what are you implying .... ;p
(My current bf could certainly be described as suave, but you're right. I don't think anyone one is that lucky first time around).

Most of the stuff I have no more attachment to is getting tossed, but there's always that grey area stuff... it's probably going to wait until I'm back in September. (I have way too many stuffed animals living in my closet)

beetlebum Posted: Sat Apr 30 17:51:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  jennemmer said:
>beetlebum said:
> Somehow, I doubt that she did date that stud of a man; call it hunch. ; )
>
>Hey, just what are you implying .... ;p
>(My current bf could certainly be described as suave, but you're right. I don't think anyone one is that lucky first time around).
>
My hunch was only based on my understanding of the rules of the space-time continuum... it was not meant to imply that you could not seduce a hot monocle-clad man yourself. big grin.

(note: grey area stuff WILL eventually get thrown away. and i once watched this really scary show all about how stuffed animals are these threatening disease and germ killers... and anything put out by the media HAS to be true.)

beetlebum Posted: Sat Apr 30 17:53:08 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  

>
>(note: grey area stuff WILL eventually get thrown away. and i once watched this really scary show all about how stuffed animals are these threatening disease and germ killers... and anything put out by the media HAS to be true.)

not *killers*. carriers, i meant.

although it would be cool if you did have a regiment of germ-fighting stuffed animals. i could use some around exam time.

jennemmer Posted: Sat Apr 30 18:29:13 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>although it would be cool if you did have a regiment of germ-fighting stuffed animals. i could use some around exam time.

Invent them and I'm sure you'd be a billionaire (I have one stuffed animal who does help with exams. He has a very stern expresion and sits on my desk at home. Every time I catch a glipse of him when I'm slacking off I feel like he's telling me to get back to work)

kurohyou Posted: Sat Apr 30 18:46:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  As I get older I am becoming a minimalist. I grow very weary of the amount of things that I have acquired. Some are legitmate things to hold onto (marriage lic. Kids Birth Certificates, High School diploma, 4th grade yearbook-okay maybe not) But a lot of the things which are in storage for me are either of sentimental value, and little material value, or things I just have not gotten around to throwing out.

For me a rule of thumb is that if I have lived more than a year without it, I probably don't really "need" it anymore. Now that by no means is an indicator of how I officially handle things. I still have a lot of crap. But every three months or so I will go through my stuff and throw at least half of it away. So I have been diwindling down my amount of crap.

Of course I'm sure it was Murphy, or one of his buddies who said that as soon as you throw something away, you will have a need for it the following week.

If its sentimetal, hold onto it. If it on the borderline, let it go. If it scares the people you know, by all means keep it.

For what it's worth...

addi Posted: Sat Apr 30 19:12:04 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  beetlebum said:

>Jenn, GET RID OF IT. :-P

Don't listen to her, Jenn!
She's still young and trying to get a toe hold on life. When you get to be my age you'll be glad you kept some of the things you thought weren't important. They bring back memories that you'd totally forget if you hadn't kept them.

But some things can go...stuff like the wrapper to your boyfriends first condom, well...you can toss that. It's probably a health hazard by now anyway : )

Beetlebum...so nice to see you here again! : )

sweet p Posted: Sat Apr 30 21:20:22 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm too sentimental [and crazy] for my own good, so I keep everything.

People say that you won't use things again and that you don't need them and that they just take up space. But I find that the older I get [and I am not even that old yet], the less room I have left in my brain. I don't remember things the way I used to. And when I go looking through old boxes or come across little notes or small gifts from old friends, it's like something dead brought back to life for me and sometimes enough to make my entire week better [or worse].

Either way though, I too am going to have to do a major clean-up soon, and I am not looking forward to it. I find, however that as long as I have a record of an object in my head or on paper [journals, notes, letters, etc] than the actual object doesn't really matter. But this just goes for the sentimental things of course.

I like to bring a bed, my computer, music, books, and photos wherever I must go.

choke Posted: Sun May 1 03:00:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I'm moving right next to Chicago in August!! :D I'll give you a yell once I'm over there, trust me I'm not a dirty old man :D

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]