Generation Terrorists » Forum
Sign up   |   Start new thread   |   Lost password?   |   Edit profile   |   Member List   |   myGT   |   Blog
Keyword
From
To

Recommendations
Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 30 22:59:29 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  So all of you who have read some good books lately that you think are worthy of recommending to other GTers, well.....do it.

Mine-

The New Nuclear Danger by Dr. Helen Caldicott

50 Facts That Should Change The World by Jessica Williams

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

The World Is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Under and Alone by William Queen

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

China, Inc.: How the Rise of the Next Superpower Challenges America and the World by Ted C. Fishman

The United States of Europe: The New Superpower and the End of American Supremacy by T.R. Reid

What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank

Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings by Thomas Paine

Two Treatises of Government by John Locke

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler

Ok so I not all of these are recent reads, but I have read them and think theyre all worth recommending.

A Letter Concerning Toleration by John Locke

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Apr 30 23:10:06 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Word.
i wouldn't recommend kite runner. too brutal

Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 30 23:12:34 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Cherry_Moon said:
>Word.
>i wouldn't recommend kite runner. too brutal

Bah humbug!

Mesh Posted: Sat Apr 30 23:14:31 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  I messed up in the first post....the sentence "Ok so I not all of these are recent reads, but I have read them and think theyre all worth recommending." should one, not have the an "I' in between so and not. Second, that sentence should come after A lettery Concerning Toleration by John Locke.

Gagglehagglefack!

Cherry_Moon Posted: Sat Apr 30 23:49:45 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  meshuggah said:
>Cherry_Moon said:
>>Word.
>>i wouldn't recommend kite runner. too brutal
>
>Bah humbug!

dude! that was too much for me. i mean i was severely raped and tortured by my birth dad, i didn't like it. i couldn't take it

Asswipe Posted: Sun May 1 05:22:16 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  i'm sorry, but... mein kampf? is this not hitler's argument for the master race and extinguishing the jews? and you found this an enjoyable read?

on a side note, for enjoyable reads, nothing too spectacularly breathtaking and life changing:

any chuck palahniuk book

any kurt vonnegut

both of them are very satirical, dry, fun authors.

for a good action book: anything by michael chrichton, especially the dinosaur books, prey, timeline(don't see the movie)

for real good characters and honestly weird social critiques:

anything by octavia butler. not the best prose, but very interesting characters and plots

for depressing real stuff that would go well with chanz's recent comic book strip:

anything by a lost generation writer, especially hemmingway or fitzgerald

hummmm... salinger rocks too, as does faulkner

Mesh Posted: Sun May 1 12:31:38 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:
>i'm sorry, but... mein kampf? is this not hitler's argument for the master race and extinguishing the jews? and you found this an enjoyable read?

I wouldnt necessarily say enjoyable, but it was rather interesting, and somewhat disturbing to read the rants and ideas of a man like Adolf Hitler. I dont admire him, in case thats what you were thinking.

Mesh Posted: Sun May 1 12:33:10 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And of course, I forgot to say Chuck Palahniuk. Asswipes right, any book by him is good.

libra Posted: Sun May 1 12:55:43 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Right now I've been reading books on Chimpanzee language acquisition for a project i have to do in linguistics.

I loved this book called Next of Kin by Roger Fouts about this chimp, Washoe, and eventually her son and a few other chimps. He writes well, and the book explains really scientific things in a simple and easy to understand way. But it made me cry like four times because of people mistreating chimps.

I've also been reading some Haruki Murakami after Mat_j and some others here suggested i read Norwegian wood. I'm now reading Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world.

sweet p Posted: Sun May 1 14:18:54 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  libra said:

> Norwegian wood.

That's great! I was just about to put this on the list.

I love this story so much.

iggy Posted: Sun May 1 16:31:40 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Asswipe said:

>for depressing real stuff that would go well with chanz's recent comic book strip:
>
>anything by a lost generation writer, especially hemmingway or fitzgerald
>
>hummmm... salinger rocks too, as does faulkner

erm... i take that as a compliment...
somewhat??

red Posted: Mon May 2 10:14:42 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson

I'm reading Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Bradbury now. Recommend that too. I've read The Kite Runner, it was good but not one of my favourites.

red Posted: Mon May 2 12:02:37 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  And I nearly forgot A Prayer for Owen Meaney, John Irving.

beetlebum Posted: Mon May 2 12:22:26 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
John Perkins

It'll make you really think about how the world works (in economic terms). It kept me up all night reading, something economic books don't often do. (or ever, really)

Mesh Posted: Mon May 2 12:33:44 2005 Post | Quote in Reply  
  Gosh, I forgot Ayn Rand. The books Anthem, Atlas Shrugged, and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand are all good too.

[ Reply to this thread ] [ Start new thread ]